Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 Released

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
puneetjain87
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 Released

Post by puneetjain87 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:09 am

I encountered a problem with joomla 1.6 alpha 2 version.
I installed it in my local server. After logging in I tried to change my permission and to my surprise I changed permissions for myself after saving the settings, though I was a admin but with lesser rights, I am not able to access the global configuration now.

Also, please let me know is it possible with joomla 1.6 to choose multiple categories for the same article. If its not possible then joomla 1.6 is still lagging behind wordpress (I am raising this issue for the bloggers, for others it might not be much useful)

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:11 am

Hi John,
please know that there are no core developers. We have a few people that organize the development, but everybody can participate. Just join our developer mailinglists and do one of the tasks that need to be done.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

NachoRegal
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by NachoRegal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:53 pm

Hackwar wrote:Hi John,
please know that there are no core developers. We have a few people that organize the development, but everybody can participate. Just join our developer mailinglists and do one of the tasks that need to be done.
Ahh ic, myself personally, I'm not skilled enough with php or the joomla framework (I'm actually a .net programmer). I only really came over to Joomla because a) I knew it from one work place I was at b) I wasn't happy with any of the dotnet ones.

I think that joining in on development takes more time than one might realise (and possibly take for granted). For me, if I was to go at it, I think I'd be looking at 1 or 2 months in knowledge investment before I could get up to speed. It would be a different story though if I was doing php development in my daily role.

There is more opinion I could say on that but I guess that's off topic :)
Rabbit Web | Cairns Web Design | http://rabbitweb.com.au

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:01 pm

I've seen this absurd advertising, PLEASE who can defend officially Joomla please see what attached
thx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

TBolt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by TBolt » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:55 pm

newart wrote:I've seen this absurd advertising, PLEASE who can defend officially Joomla please see what attached
thx
I had never heard of Concrete5 until now. It might be a developer's dream & may have a bright future ahead of it.

Quick observations:
- The list of available themes is only 3 pages long.
- Most of the extensions are commercial (payware) -- you can do all of that with Joomla today and never spend any money.
- You will probably have to check with your web hosting company to make sure Concrete5 will work.

---

There is nothing wrong with experimenting with all the various CMS. Learn to build web sites with all of them. The experience will make you a more informed web site builder. :geek:

Even though I'm just a marketing consultant (not a developer), I will try C5 some day, . . . but not today. :D I will wait for many more themes and extensions to become available.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:36 pm

But the problem in not about how fine is that CMS, the is, if advertize a product of yours, please tell us why it is so good and NOT that it is good because... Joomla (Drupal too) is silly...

TBolt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by TBolt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:46 pm

newart wrote:But the problem in not about how fine is that CMS, the is, if advertize a product of yours, please tell us why it is so good and NOT that it is good because... Joomla (Drupal too) is silly...
I see what you mean. :laugh: Advertising isn't really the place for long explanations, though. The ad caught your attention, and that is the only purpose of the ad. Because of that ad, you've forwarded the message again to dozens of people here, as well -- making the ad even more effective. lol.

Such is the nature of advertising in America. It spreads like wildfire.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:56 pm

TBolt wrote:Such is the nature of advertising in America. It spreads like wildfire.
now I understand, thx

ikt
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ikt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:58 pm

I still don't understand the reasoning behind removing the acl that was available in 1.0. It seems to me a step backward? I'm sure there was a good reason, this has just been so frustrating trying to deal with that alone.
Joomla is awesome, I love so much about it, but that one thing has changed so much with what I'm able to do now, and after getting set up with 1.5 version... going back to 1.0 versions... just not an option. It's forced me to look at other cms solutions, I just hate that... I'm so comfortable with what I'm able to do now with joomla... sigh.
Sorry.. just venting... i know you devs work your butts off.

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:42 pm

ikt, which ACL in 1.0? There never was any ACL beyond the stuff that is in 1.5 in Joomla. There were two features in 1.0 that didn't make it to 1.5 and that was the admin user activation which I'll do my best to get into 1.6 and the ability to select more than one category or section for a menu item. This has been solved in 1.6 already.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

TBolt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by TBolt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:59 pm

Hackwar wrote:the admin user activation which I'll do my best to get into 1.6
:eek: ;D Hackwar, just to be sure...are you adding a feature that allows the admin(s) to approve a new user before that user can log in to the site?

If yes...THANK YOU! I am definitely looking forward to having that capability.

Computer Candy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Computer Candy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:41 pm

I have a couple questions about the upcoming beta. I hope this is the appropriate place to post them.

First, will we be able to upgrade from the current alpha to the upcoming beta release? My hunch tells me that we will -not- be able to but i thought i would ask.

Second, once the beta is released and then eventually 1.6 final, will we be able to upgrade from the beta to the final? My hunch tellls me that we -will- be able to upgrade from the beta but again... i wanted to find out for certain.

The reason this is important for me to know is that i am developing a site and the sooner i can get started the better. If i can get started now or once the beta comes out, then the site will be mostly finished once the final is released and i can go live shortly thereafter. I hope that makes sense.

If anyone can anser my two questions difinitively, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure i'm not the only one this information could really benefit. Thank you so much!
-CC

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:53 pm

There will be no upgrade path from the alpha to the beta or from beta to stable.

Mindgem
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Mindgem » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:18 pm

Are they joking?

http://community.joomla.org/blogs/commu ... -soon.html

The t-shirt sooner than even a beta of the product it promotes??

TBolt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by TBolt » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:29 pm

Mindgem wrote:Are they joking?

http://community.joomla.org/blogs/commu ... -soon.html

The t-shirt sooner than even a beta of the product it promotes??
Maybe it's a good sign.

Even if not, I wish some of these folks would quit crying like spoiled kids. lol.

ikt
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ikt » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:05 pm

Sorry Hackwar... I'm an idiot.. It has been so long since I've used the 1.0 version and not long before, I was using both Mambo and Xoops... I have misspoken... One of those had the ACL in place already... however, it really would be nice to have that in place again... I have been so stuck on what to do with that, not really knowing how to set up on the subscription end.. I see subscription extensions out there, but I don't know if i also need to incorporate an ACL ex as well, and if there is anything else I need along with that.
I've been trying to figure all of this out for so long, and just keep waiting for the 1.6 so that I don't have to keep researching it... but the fact is, when 1.6 comes out, I'll be dealing with a whole new set of problems... such as hoping that ANY of the extensions I've been using will even be compatible with it.
I wish there was just a simple solution in the forums here... maybe you could tell me....
I want to have a members only section of my site.. I need an extension that would block off a component, any component, such as sobi2 from anyone who does not have a paid subscription
Maybe a couple of different levels of subscriptions that would, of course, run through paypal.
I need something simple, something either free or cheap that will do what I need to have someone go to my site, choose a subscription, pay for it, then mailed log in information for the protected area.

I may be asking for too much, but I'd rather hear that and stop searching than continue spinning my wheels again and again.

Thanks!

astembridge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by astembridge » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:50 pm

So last month the estimated beta release date was "late February".

When is the new projected Beta release? A rough estimate is fine.. just something to tell my bosses would be great (other than "sometime in the future" :) )

codeart
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla 1.6+ (1.7) installer suggestion

Post by codeart » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:29 am

Just like the enuGene or joomfish extension, many other Joomla! extensions do need more than only one extension type for running. Many of them need to install plugin(s), module(s) and a component, since the user expect more powerful and comfortable extensions.

Unfortunately it seems, the native Joomla! extension installer does not support such complex installation to be done by one action.

So the recent practice forces all developers, to cook and implement their own installer version, may be resulting into a wide range of varied interpretations.

As i looked up for any 1.6 extension installer enhancements, solving this by integrating the installation of different package types into one single installation action, i didn't found such - although the idea seems nearby to me.

So i it may be i didn't search good enough, or no such enhancement was planned for Joomla 1.6.

If the second is the case, i suggest to overwork the Joomla! extension installer to be controlled by a new XML structure, combining all extension types installing control in one xml file, and executing installation through multiple layers - means: maybe starting the installation process for each zip file included extension type on new again?

Or somekind else? - Anyway it would be very nice to provide only one package file to the user, installing as much plugins, modules and components as needed by the extension program.

Computer Candy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Computer Candy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Hackwar wrote:There will be no upgrade path from the alpha to the beta or from beta to stable.
Thank you very much for the info. That's rough. It's not unusual to not have an upgrade available from an alpha... but it does seem unusual to not have an upgrade from a beta. That is too bad and may force me to go with drupal because of my time restraints. Wish my timing was better, oh well. Out of curiosity, why no upgrade from the beta?

NachoRegal
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by NachoRegal » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:39 pm

Computer Candy wrote:
Hackwar wrote:There will be no upgrade path from the alpha to the beta or from beta to stable.
Thank you very much for the info. That's rough. It's not unusual to not have an upgrade available from an alpha... but it does seem unusual to not have an upgrade from a beta. That is too bad and may force me to go with drupal because of my time restraints. Wish my timing was better, oh well. Out of curiosity, why no upgrade from the beta?
Why waste the effort migrating a beta? Wouldn't you rather see that effort go into something useful? I can't speak for others, but I would :)

They don't have unlimited resources. It might seem like it from your comfee chair tho :)
Rabbit Web | Cairns Web Design | http://rabbitweb.com.au

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:50 pm

Like johnsheppard already said, our resources are limited. But the main reason is, that you shouldn't use a beta on a live system. There are more bugs in there than you can count and it would mean that you would have to update every other day to slowly get a working system.

madLyfe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by madLyfe » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:03 pm

Computer Candy wrote:
why dont you just use 1.5?

astembridge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by astembridge » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:43 pm

madLyfe wrote:
Computer Candy wrote:
why dont you just use 1.5?
I'm waiting for 1.6 for fully nestable categories (including multiple links). I've gone through a few add-ons for 1.5, none of them work very well in my experience. I expect the native 1.6 nested category solution will be robust and just what so many of us are looking for.

It would be nice to have SOME kind of idea when the beta will be released.. earlier this year they said "late februrary". It's now mid-march.. Is it now late April?

I hate to put so much development into a third party nested category solution when 1.6 has everything I need. But I may have to use the alternative at this point..

katim110
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by katim110 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:38 pm

Now what does that mean for the 1.6 Beta 1 release? Some final decisions
have to be made on the ACL system, which should be made by all of us
until today in one week. After that, these decisions have to be
implemented into the trunk, as well as as many of the other features on
the list. This said, we are aiming for the Beta 1 release in two to
three weeks from today. We are depending on your help on this to make
this happen!

Hopefully this clears up some of the questionmarks about the current
development of 1.6. So lets get this baby rolling. :-)

Hannes for the 1.6 Release Team

this was said on: Aug 31 2009, 12:25 am

i think beta will be in 2011

all I want to say: please dont promise anything if you cant keep your promise

Computer Candy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Computer Candy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:31 pm

Hackwar wrote:Like johnsheppard already said, our resources are limited. But the main reason is, that you shouldn't use a beta on a live system. There are more bugs in there than you can count and it would mean that you would have to update every other day to slowly get a working system.
I wasn't planning on using a beta for a live site. Just getting most of the prep work done, then upgrading at final, make the finishing touches and go live then. I thought i had explained that. But the recources bit makes sense.
madLyfe wrote:why dont you just use 1.5?
I may do just that. I was hoping to take advantage of the user groups in 1.6 since it is a massive part of what we need. However, i can get evertyhing else in place with 1.5 and then edit group permissions once i've upgraded to 1.6. If my memory is correct, there -will- be an upgrade path from the current 1.5 to 1.6 final, correct?

Than you. :)
-CC

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:21 am

Yes, there is an upgrade path for 1.5. 1.5 will also be supported once 1.6 comes out.

bzsolt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bzsolt » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:54 am

Hi Guys,

its great that 1.6 is out. Have been waiting for this a long time.
Finally I've found the time to read the admin wiki and to test it. As with 1.5, again a great job.

I have a suggestion / feature request: if you could make it more simple to deny (hide) entire menu "components", and "site" for specific user groups to access.
It is great and crucial that you set access level for each user group on component level but it takes far too many clicks to hide all components from my editors. They don't need to see that there are components at all. It is a distraction and a know-how issue.
I also don't think they should be able to see system info.

Thanks and best of luck!
z

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:43 pm

@bzsolt. 1.6 is not out, only an alpha 2 release. Before the final version comes out, there will be at least one beta.

bzsolt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bzsolt » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:12 pm

thats what I meant. :)

jeffchannell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Joomla 1.6+ (1.7) installer suggestion

Post by jeffchannell » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:06 am

That would be nice, I'll admit... here's my solution:

http://jeffchannell.com/Joomla/install- ... ckage.html
http://jeffchannell.com - Joomla Extensions & Support
http://biziant.com - Open Joomla Firewall/IDS
Unsolicited private messages/emails = hire me to fix your problem.
καλλιστι

Return to “Announcements Discussions”