Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 Released

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
mrPilsener
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 Released

Post by mrPilsener » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:02 pm

For lovers of self-referential paradox, I refer to Hofstadter's law:
Every project runs over time, even when it takes Hofstadter's law into consideration.
I was planning to build a site for an NGO - no money, just good conscience - does this need to concern me? I know that one should update to the next stable release when possible, mainly to eliminate security bugs, but I can't promise to them that I can have the time to overhaul their 1.5 website to 1.6 next year. Their hardly going to do that theirselves. Should I just build the 1.5 site now, serve them it neat and ommit to tell them they might be more at risk in a few years time?

NachoRegal
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by NachoRegal » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:48 pm

It's the way the web is. It evolves, weather you install 1.5 or 1.6 you will still have to evolve it at some time. What happens when 1.7 comes out? You'll have to upgrade then.

Try and educate your customer that a website is never a develop and leave there deal. (If you don't understand that, then how are they going to?) It has to always be kept up to date no matter what version they are on.

From a security perspective you are far better off with 1.5 if that's what they are concerned about. There will be a period of vulnerabilities and regular updates with 1.6 where as those from 1.5 will have mostly been fixed.

You just have to install what is current, it's the way it is. It's like waiting to buy an electric car thats going to be invented in 2020. You're a fool to not drive around and wait until then.
Rabbit Web | Cairns Web Design | http://rabbitweb.com.au

Ghonjez
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: How to upgrade to 1.6 from 1.5

Post by Ghonjez » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:08 am

Hi FransRe...

For this time, don't use Joomla 1.6 for Live site, Joomla 1.6 still Alpha version, please wait until Final version released. Alpha version is only for tester

:)

Janmos
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Janmos » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:44 pm

Stu-Icon wrote: Because the devs are volunteering time they are doing work 'out of hours' so to speak and so it is not as fast as 'in hours' work that devs would normally do during the business day. This is why the quote did mention the availability of volunteer help being a factor in the timelines.
Why isn't there then a PayPal donate button on the first page of Joomla? Or even during the installation process, there could be a separate page calling for donations (with a suggested donation of x.xx $/€/£ per install)?

jeremywilken
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jeremywilken » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:40 pm

There is a legal barrier to asking for donations. I don't recall the technical details, but due to their legal status they cannot do this.

However, if you contact the leadership team and wish to donate, then they can give you details on how to do it.
Jeremy
Gnome on the run
Web Development Studio, Web development, done better
http://www.gnomeontherun.com

Aquasonick
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla 1.6 - ask?

Post by Aquasonick » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:02 am

Hi all.
Where can ask questions on Joomla 1.6?

Thanks in advance

-------------------------------

I can not assign default template (joomla 1.6 alfa2).... - No Button!! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ooffick
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ooffick » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:16 am

Hi,
1.6 Alpha 2 is quite old by now, and a lot of thinks are fixed by now. Have a look at the nightly build.

Olaf
Olaf Offick - Global Moderator
learnskills.org

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:26 am

Hello Aquasonick,
please don't report bugs on Joomla 1.6 Alpha2 anymore. We've been doing a lot of development since then and the Alpha2 is already way outdated.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:20 pm

That said, I will probably use something like the following:

* Create backup
* Import sql backup locally
* Run upgrade .sql script
* Install 1.6 in new database
* Install extensions that I was using on 1.5
* Install template I was using on 1.5 (and make changes if necessary)
* Point to database created in the first two steps.
* If all is well, do the production websites.

FransRe
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by FransRe » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Ghonjez, Tonie,

Since the customization for any website requires modification I tend to follow the script as given by Tonie for a trial.

From the answer I conclude that the Database structure in version1.6 has substantial changes in comparison to V. 1.5 for whatever reason.

Will keep you posted on any significant issues important for the work you are doing.

Best Regards,

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:46 pm

For changes in the database, there is already a .sql script in the current trunk: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... iew=markup

Bockas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bockas » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:19 pm

Judging from what I have read, I guess it's best to wait until the release of Joomla 1.6 before making the new site I have in mind. Hope it will be out at least around autumn this year can't wait to see the proper release ... ;)

I haven't really found any threads about it, but I there are a few things I have in mind, and wonder if there will be any updates regarding this:

1. Will the RSS-feed function have a major overhaul? I found the old one a little hard to modify. Among other things, changing the name of it seemed impossible (it changes back to the standard Joomla name, if I tried to change it).

2. The "frontpage thumbnail"-issue is kind of driving me nuts. I.e., if I have some larger image at the top of an article, it remains the same size in the small previews at the frontpage - which (needless to say) is quite frustrating, and ruining the whole appearance and even possibility to view parts of the page. Haven't found any plugins either, that I am fully pleased with (loads of errors, or to few possibilities to make custom settings), and I don't think it's a common feature with various templates either (have seen none that deals with it).

3. The possibility to skip the manual "read more"-break feature, and set an own limit of characters and/or words to appear automatically instead? When there are a number or editors, you can be sure that some people forget to include one, and someone else has to correct it. Haven't found any plugin for that either, that I am fully pleased with.
And, I don't know if I haven't just found it, but will there be a possibility to make the "Read more"-text/link automatically appear in the language of the specific article? I have a bi-lingual site, and that has to be done manually at the moment, as far as I have understood. Not a big issue, but still a minor problem.

I would be really glad to know if there will be anything done to these issues in the coming 1.6 release, as they have been causing me quite some headache (yes, as you might have understood - I am no "pro" when it comes to things like these).
And I apologize if I make you upset by posting these questions/suggestions here, I didn't really find a better place, so sorry... ;)

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:03 pm

Could anyone upload the attached png in the right place?

In joomla_trunk_svn I've found in "images" folder that there is the old png with 1.5 version instead of 1.6
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

paddingtonb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by paddingtonb » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:52 pm

Bokas

Reply to your statement ref limiting number of words.

http://demo.gavick.com/

News Show GK3 does it but perhaps not in the eway you want.

Their stuff is brilliant.

BOL
Install Joomla! - Say hooray! - Then install Akeeba, for rainy days!

roniejoomlaorg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by roniejoomlaorg » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:55 am

Hi,

I Installed Joomla 1.6 alpha 2 - the look is very nice, very professional unlike drupal themes. I want personally thank the developers. GREAT JOB!!!

However, I think it will be nice to do a specific level for a user. For example I created user1, I should also have the power to select options of things that he can do. Like, submitting articles, approve contents, etc.. NOT A GROUP. So it will be more flexible in creating users. This is where joomla is locking. Sad to say but Drupal is good in-terms of user levels. But I do believe that joomla can do that!

GO1 GO! GO JOOMLA!!!!

TBolt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by TBolt » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:29 am

roniejoomlaorg wrote:Hi,

I Installed Joomla 1.6 alpha 2 - the look is very nice, very professional unlike drupal themes. I want personally thank the developers. GREAT JOB!!!

However, I think it will be nice to do a specific level for a user. For example I created user1, I should also have the power to select options of things that he can do. Like, submitting articles, approve contents, etc.. NOT A GROUP. So it will be more flexible in creating users. This is where joomla is locking. Sad to say but Drupal is good in-terms of user levels. But I do believe that joomla can do that!

GO1 GO! GO JOOMLA!!!!
Okay, I'm confused by your request. ??? How is your request different than creating a group, assigning specific privileges to that group; then, adding the user to the group?

Example:
User 1 belongs to Group A
Group A has publishing rights and access to sensitive areas related to Topics 1 and 2.
Therefore, User 1 has publishing rights and access to sensitive areas related to Topics 1 and 2.

Bockas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bockas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:09 am

paddingtonb wrote:Bokas

Reply to your statement ref limiting number of words.

http://demo.gavick.com/

News Show GK3 does it but perhaps not in the eway you want.

Their stuff is brilliant.

BOL
I've taken a look at their stuff before, and it looks mighty fine. Thank you for your reply, I'll investigate this... :)

roniejoomlaorg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by roniejoomlaorg » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:44 pm

TBolt wrote:
roniejoomlaorg wrote:Hi,

GO1 GO! GO JOOMLA!!!!
Okay, I'm confused by your request. ??? How is your request different than creating a group, assigning specific privileges to that group; then, adding the user to the group?

Example:
User 1 belongs to Group A
Group A has publishing rights and access to sensitive areas related to Topics 1 and 2.
Therefore, User 1 has publishing rights and access to sensitive areas related to Topics 1 and 2.
Sorry for my question. Anyway I have another request.

It think it will be nice to have a "LINK TO ARTICLE" in the content editor.

Maybe a button in the editor, once clicked, a list of article will pop-up and the user will have to select the article that they want to be linked.

Thanks again!

NachoRegal
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by NachoRegal » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:55 pm

roniejoomlaorg wrote: Sorry for my question. Anyway I have another request.

It think it will be nice to have a "LINK TO ARTICLE" in the content editor.

Maybe a button in the editor, once clicked, a list of article will pop-up and the user will have to select the article that they want to be linked.

Thanks again!
Both JCE and JoomlaFCK editor extensions have this feature. I am fairly certain I have seen one or two other extensions in the JED that do this also (however don't quote me on that).
Rabbit Web | Cairns Web Design | http://rabbitweb.com.au

miamia
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

j1.6 multi-site management

Post by miamia » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:52 pm

Hi guys,

will joomla 1.6 support multi-site management? thank you

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:24 pm

newart wrote:Could anyone upload the attached png in the right place?

In joomla_trunk_svn I've found in "images" folder that there is the old png with 1.5 version instead of 1.6

Sorry, please upload this new image, it is now optimized and better than the previous one. For a mistake of mine I've uploaded the ugly pic...

TBolt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: j1.6 multi-site management

Post by TBolt » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:36 pm

miamia wrote:Hi guys,

I'm not a developer nor am I sure this is the right forum to ask for a follow-up to this, but I am curious what sort of 'multi-site management' features you are imagining, miamia. Until now, I have thought of site management as an individual affair - one control panel for one site.

Thanks.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:41 pm

It's very important your question!

Here is an article from Joomla.org http://community.joomla.org/blogs/commu ... isite.html please stay updated, I hope to see more news from devs here!

PS. There is also a 5 min clip : http://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=IcWOVgcs ... r_embedded

TBolt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by TBolt » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:51 pm

newart wrote:

Here is an article from Joomla.org http://community.joomla.org/blogs/commu ... isite.html please stay updated, I hope to see more news from devs here!

PS. There is also a 5 min clip : http://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=IcWOVgcs ... r_embedded
Thank you for the links, newart!

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:22 pm

TBolt wrote:
newart wrote:

Thank you for the links, newart!

you're welcome! Please take note that our Developper section is very interesting too, maybe you could comment a dev blog just for pointing out a not clear point about 1.6 work-in-progress... maybe...

webapper
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by webapper » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:54 pm

I 've downloaded the latest joomla 1.6 progress through SVN and i would like to report a bug.
After installation using sample date, i received an unexpected situation with usergroup "Park Rangers". It had as parent id 2 which means that it belonged to "Registered" but lft and rgh put it under "public". I think you need to change the parent id of Park Rangers from 2 to 1.

I am absolutely excited with joomla 1.6. I love the new features. Great work!!

subhramani
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by subhramani » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:02 am

I'm no coder or a developer. And I am not sure if someone has already mentioned this, but I have a BIG problem with joomla denying access to my own files. I dont know how to explain it, but here goes.

A lot of files/ folders which you 'install' from within Joomla 1.5 denies access to the owner. I will not be able to rename/ delete/move the files. In that case the only option for me to be able to do anything with the files is to contact my web host and get them to grant permission to those files/ folders so that I can do what i want with them.

In an average, i HAVE to contact my web host to do that for me at least thrice a week as I Install and uninstall apps within Joomla. It will be really great if you could get that fixed.

Thanks you :-)

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:51 am

@subhramani. A permissions issue which is not related, but host related.
Last edited by Tonie on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

everythingis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Suggestion for Joomla 1.6

Post by everythingis » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:24 pm

I am now in my 3rd month of experimenting with Joomla and I think some vital functionality issues should be addressed in the upcoming release version. Hopefully someone can implement these or at least take them under advisement.

Articles
  • Articles should have a parameter available to choose its placement in any module position.
  • Articles should be able to be displayed as a web page without the template being applied. Useful for creating forms that don't require any modules (header/footer/menus, etc.)
  • Article Parameters should be available with a drop down list of the different css styling sheets that are available within a template to render individual content areas differently.
Menus
  • Within the Menu Items Parameters, the ability to modify the HTML of the <a href> tag is sorely needed. (i.e. adding class="", ref="", etc.)
  • The ability to publish a menu item as private (logged in), but not public (logged out).
  • The ability to create a custom HTML Module that can be linked to a menu item.
  • The ability to utilize the Menu Module with several menu names with multiple drop down lists.

TBolt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Suggestion for Joomla 1.6

Post by TBolt » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:38 pm

everythingis wrote:
  • Articles should be able to be displayed as a web page without the template being applied. Useful for creating forms that don't require any modules (header/footer/menus, etc.)
Isn't this achieved through the use of wrappers (that wrap your plain-looking web page) or links that open up in a new browser tab to whatever HTML page you've created?

Return to “Announcements Discussions”