Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 Released

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 Released

Post by mcsmom » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:08 pm

@4thdesign2

A properly coded 1.5 extension will not be hard to adapt to 1.6. Whether they take advantage of all 1.6 has to offer is a different question. If an extension is really just a 1.0 extension masking as a 1.5 extension that will be a bigger problem. On the other hand, developers have known this is coming for two years.

What I would do is when buying an extension, always ask a. Is it fully MVC? and b. What are your plans are for 1.6 availability?

The project already sponsored one conference focused on helping 3pds get ready for 1.6 (last December) and I am sure that once the api is finished there will be much more done to help 3pds make the transition.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:15 pm

@kamzata. You would have to ask the people to create Virtuemart. As far as I know they still have to release Virtuemart 1.5, which will bring it in line with the 1.5 method of development.

4thdesign2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 4thdesign2 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:52 pm

Thanks guys for the replies. I feel a little bit more at ease now, however....I hope this development by 3rd parties will quicken once a beta is released.

I wonder if a small bridge could be made fairly simply to allow 1.5 extenstions to work with 1.6 or willl 1.6 have a legacy mode as it does for 1.5 running 1.0 extenstions?!!

Sounds like a good idea to me! :)

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:19 pm

no, that is not possible.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

4thdesign2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 4thdesign2 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Well...it may not be possible, but it was a damn fine idea!!! :)

gyrfalcon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla 1.6 Templates

Post by gyrfalcon » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:32 pm

I was setting up a new Joomla site and wondering if 1.6 templates are available, or if I should go back to 1.5 stable and proceed from there. I wasn't exactly sure if going from 1.6A2 to 1.6 or 1.5 to 1.6 would be easier.

ironman2003
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ironman2003 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:38 pm

I quickly skimmed over this topic, but didn't read all the pages (sorry - not a lot of time). With that said, I am watching the development of 1.6 with great interest at the moment and am probably one of the people who are going to give it some time after it is released before I go pushing it on all of my sites.

WIth the overwhelming number of extensions for 1.5 and below, it is easy to see how much work it is going to take to adapt them to the new format for 1.6. I am not a extension developer myself, but I have seen some things go on in the past with other CMS platforms (Boonex Dolphin for one), where after a major upgrade/code change, it took a long time for the developers to adapt to the new code.

Hopefully, the transition will go smooth and painlessly. :)

bkmjoomla
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Upgrading 1.5 to 1.6

Post by bkmjoomla » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:52 pm

Is there any place one could read about the upgrade process from 1.5 to 1.6?

If not, does anyone know how seamless it will be?

Thanks in advance.

beanluc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by beanluc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:55 am

here's what will happen (I also have observed other CMS projects' life cycle and state):

J! 1.5 will continue to be a well-supported, high-quality, widely-used product for a long time.

People who absolutely need, in production, immediately, features in J! 1.6, the day it is released as a post-beta 1.6.0 product, are likely to be people already prepared to update crucial extensions on their own to bring a J! 1.6 site to production. They may release their changes back to the community or to the original extension developers under GPL, thus seeding the JED with the first 1.6-compatible extensions.

Other people will continue, on brand-new sites or existing ones, to use J! 1.5 extensions to achieve functionality which is being added to J! 1.6, but has long been available via J! 1.5 extensions. Other existing J! 1.5 extensions which aren't immediately ported to 1.6 are so desirable that it will be an obstacle to 1.6 adoption for some time for a lot of persons.

High-quality, popular commercial extension shops will soon port many of their wares to 1.6, likely offering deep upgrade discounts or even free upgrades to previous paying customers.

Both hobbyists and professionals will undertake and enjoy opportunities to do satisfying work and share most of their GPL extensions' ports back to the community.

J! 1.6's new capabilities, new paradigms in Web application use cases, and new Internet services and cultural evolution will all contribute to the phenomenon of wild, new, today-unimagined extensions being developed for 1.6 exclusively. A critical mass will be achieved before long, and widespread adoption of 1.6 will take place among new J! site implementations.

Helpfiles and how-to's regarding preparing a J! 1.5 site for migration or upgrade to J! 1.6 will become widespread. The barrier to undertaking a conversion, and the risk level, will go way down, and a substantial number of J! 1.5 sites will be converted.

In short, everyone will get what they need, when they need it, and most people will have a wide variety of options to choose among, before long.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:08 am

@beanluc,

That is one of the smartest analyses I have seen in a long time.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

mikestrepps
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Upgrading 1.5 to 1.6

Post by mikestrepps » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:11 am

Subversion 1.6 has been out for a while and quite a few of us just upgraded our TortoiseSVN clients because there was a new version. There are some new features with it that make it desirable (including externals support for files, file system storage improvements, etc). You need to know that Subversion 1.5 and Subversion 1.6 DO NOT play well together. If you have upgraded a client to 1.6 or the server to 1.6 and you still have 1.5 out there lingering, you are going to run into some compatibility issues.
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:13 am

@gyrfalcon. Go 1.5 stable at the moment. Waiting for a certain release is always a bad idea.

@bkmjoomla. Regarding an upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6, the developers decided to start looking at that after beta 1 is going to be released.

I am doing a presentation on the Dutch Joomladays at the end of april, shouldn' t be too much of a problem to translate the presentation to English and make it available.

prilly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by prilly » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Thank you to beanluc. I think that should be posted on the Front page or somewhere prominent. We all have questions about Joomla 1.6, and that's the best answer anyone can give, I think. :)

It does seem that those of us who are not developers should wait a bit after the official release. If we upgrade to Joomla 1.6 too soon, we won't have the extensions we need to run our sites. It's best to verify that all our essential extensions are 1.6 ready, before converting.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:04 pm

Basically comes down to this:

* If you don't immediately need 1.6 features, wait. 1.5 will be supported for a long time, so there is simply no way that rushing things is going to help.
* If you do want to take a look migrating, take a look at minimum requirements, extensions, templates if they are supported, languages.
* Then do a migration on a place which is not your live website (local, subdomain, subdirectory.
* Only if you are happy with the result, then you can start thinking about upgrading your live installation.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:31 am

... as usual :pop :pop :pop

but for my new site (no-commercial one) I'd like to use a 1.6 beta ASAP... :-[
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

incorex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by incorex » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:23 am

newart wrote:@ incorex

have you any review links about?
I wonder if Joomla 1.6 could be used for that Open Source DB but I remember that one idea was for sundry DB compatibility
anybody knows better this problem?
I guess you can find answers to most of your questions on CUBRID's home page cubrid.org. I found everything over there. You can download CUBRID from there and give it a try. As I have already spoken to one of the main developers at Joomla, Louis, he says this is not something they are going to concentrate right now for first release of Joomla 1.6. But if there is any CUBRID DB Driver compatible with Joomla, they will be glad to add it to the Joomla core. So, I hope the Open Source Community will help me to get Joomla working with CUBRID.

lmoralesx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

J 1.6 Performance

Post by lmoralesx » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:40 am

I was wondering if anyone knows the development team's plans regarding J1.6's performance.

I know J1.6 is still in Alpha state and performance might be improved in the future; but I was testing it and was a little concerned by the huge amounts of files it includes/requires (around 96). This was surprising to me since it uses a new / improved JLoader class which implements lazy loading to some extent.

Also, I had to create a different routing mechanism for Joomla that is much more (way more) efficient than 1.5 and 1.6. I'm not reiventing the wheel, but an existing project had a lot of code based on another proprietary framework, and it was easier to at least create a different frontend to support the existing project. The backend uses Joomla's. Anyway, if anyone is interested in helping me maintaining what I call JLite, please let me know. The code is rough (well orgnized though, uses mvc, pdo, two-step view, user authentication and authorization [really rough] and a yii-based ORM); it's just not documented. The special thing about JLite is that it only includes 14 files for a basic request, but lazy load the big guns with security is required (e.g.: form processing).

Thanks, in case anyone knows my question, or is interested on my informal / preliminary / non-binding invitation, my e-mail is [email protected].

bongobongo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by bongobongo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:16 pm

I see that if I add a menuitem in 1.5.x of this type:
Web Link Submission Layout

It is very limited what you can do with the weblinks and categories.
Only possible to add new weblinks.
Not possible to add, edit or delete categories.
Not possible to edit or delete existing weblinks.
Not possible to change order of weblinks or categories.

Will there be more possibilities in version 1.6?

mb87
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla 1.6 Beta

Post by mb87 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Does anyone know what is the current estimate on when the Joomla 1.6 beta will be released? The information on this site suggests March 2010. Since it's March 30 already I'm guessing that's not going to happen.

I've hear others suggest that 1.6 will not get released until later this years.

Just curious so I can plan around it.

Thanks!

Stu-Icon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Stu-Icon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:31 am

The last Estimate for beta was March, this being an estimate it is likely that it has slipped into April. It is coming and it will be soon, the only trouble is that soon is not a definite timeframe. Just keep watching the forums for release posts.

Most of all, be patient and understand that the devs are hard at work.

ourislamic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ourislamic » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:16 pm

Just wondering, is there an official release date for the official version of Joomla 1.6?
http://OurIslamic.com Islamic Forum
Signature rules - Literal URLs Only - normal size

Mindgem
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Mindgem » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:30 pm

ourislamic wrote:Just wondering, is there an official release date for the official version of Joomla 1.6?
No

bongobongo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by bongobongo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:58 pm

I see that if I add a menuitem in 1.5.x of this type:
Web Link Submission Layout

It is very limited what you can do with the weblinks and categories.
Only possible to add new weblinks.
Not possible to add, edit or delete categories.
Not possible to edit or delete existing weblinks.
Not possible to change order of weblinks or categories.

Will there be more possibilities in version 1.6?

beanluc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by beanluc » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:10 am

bongobongo wrote:Will there be more possibilities in version 1.6?
The title of the thread is "Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 Released". Have you tried it?

bongobongo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by bongobongo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:58 am

beanluc wrote:
bongobongo wrote:Will there be more possibilities in version 1.6?
The title of the thread is "Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 Released". Have you tried it?
Yes I have tried it now.

Not much new there. Not possible to edit existing links on the frontend.
I cannot belive why this has not been improved.
Should not be that hard to change the "Submit or Edit a web link" form on the frontend so it is possible to:
Click on any weblinks category to see the links withing that category.
Make it possible to click one of the links in a category to edit it.
Make it possible to create new weblinks within selected weblink category.
All should be doable from within the same form!
and then give the admin the possibility to grant access to one or more persons to use this form.

The "Submit or Edit a web link" .... well how do you edit anything from that form.... currently I can only submit a weblink, not edit anything.

Why not make one form which one can actually use to add, edit and delete both categories and weblinks?
And then make it so admin could grant access to the group or user to:
Add new weblinks
or
Add, Edit and Delete weblinks, and Add, Edit and Delete weblinks categories.

I also sugggest that
one implement this cool extension into 1.6:
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... links/2560
and then add the new wanted features mentioned here:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/allweb ... d_id=17093
and here:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/allweb ... d_id=17043

Current display possibilities for the weblinks are really very limited.

Just my 5 cents

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:50 am

If there are no changes in the latest version in trunk yet (besides commenting), there's a good chance there will not be any changes any more until the final version will be released.

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:24 am

bongobongo wrote:Current display possibilities for the weblinks are really very limited.
You could try output overrides. They're very easy to implement.
My extensions: http://extensions.joomla.org/profile/pr ... ails/18398
Honk if this signature offends you.

bongobongo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by bongobongo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:21 am

stutteringp0et wrote:
bongobongo wrote:Current display possibilities for the weblinks are really very limited.
You could try output overrides. They're very easy to implement.
My whole point was about the limited features when you want to create, add, delete, edit weblinks and weblink categories from the frontend.
As it is today, as well as with the 1.6 version one are only able to add new weblinks from the frontend.
No possibility to edit existing links, delete or mover links from one category to another.
No possibility to create, edit or delete existing weblink categories either.
The latter (beeing able to work with weblinks categories would be nice) but not as much needed as a full blown weblinks form.

Anyway.... thanks for the overrides hint.
But please some "hardcore developer", upgrade the weblinks form on the frontend to be more usable.

Mindgem
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Mindgem » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:01 pm

Anyone got some new updates on possible release dates?

madLyfe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by madLyfe » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:10 pm

im like ready to start a project but am waiting on this..

Return to “Announcements Discussions”