Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 Released

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
Robert_Vining
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 Released

Post by Robert_Vining » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:50 am

Awesome guys!!! Thanks for all your hard work, blood, sweat and tears!!! I can't wait to start playing with this one!

(See Brad, I came back for more than a 'tough discussion' thread!!!)
Robert Vining

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:55 am

arisroyo wrote:This is a great news, I wonder if we can start to modify some additional and changes in translation part.
I would not start yet because the strings are still being overhauled. Contact Ole if you want to help with that process.
Andrew Eddie - Tweet @AndrewEddie
<><
http://eddify.me
http://www.kiva.org/team/joomla - Got Joomla for free? Pay it forward and help fight poverty.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:10 am

Robert_Vining wrote: (See Brad, I came back for more than a 'tough discussion' thread!!!)
What's next? Joining the dev team? Bug squad? 8)

Good work, hope you stick around.. we're (at least speaking from my POV) are not as bad as some make out. 1.6 is going to be great as well.

karan.gadhavi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by karan.gadhavi » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:11 am

Wow

That's very good news... ACL happening for real, and looks nice.

Thanks
http://www.gadhavitechnologies.com <------- Outsource your Joomla work
Hire Joomla Designer / Developer / SEO (Let me know if we can't use this)

gobezu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by gobezu » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:58 am

thanks so much, so far it all looks great, albeit acl somehow confusing i second amy that we will all be wondering how we made it so far w/o it

some issues though

1. is there any discussion between the joomla dev team and nooku team, it would be so good to have one good foundation rather than ....

2. JForms which I read in the announcement is to be seen nowhere... assuming it is a form component which is really a good idea to have around

once again, thanks for all your efforts

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dizzi » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:01 pm

Huge news! Well done guys.

I just experienced one issue during a test install - PHP errors regarding the system's inability to write to the sessions directory. I am using Slackware Linux 13 and it appears that the PHP session save path has been moved from "/tmp" (which is writable to everyone) to "/var/lib/php" which is writable to only the "apache" user group. The Apache version which ships with Slack 13 would not have generated this error since it runs as the "apache" user. However, I am using a patched and custom compiled Apache version (--with mpm-itk) which allows scripts to be run with their owner's permissions.

Thus to solve the sessions directory permissions problems, I added my user to the "apache" group and the installation proceeded smoothly afterwards.

Regarding the actual testing of J! 1.6 there one or two errors here and there (in the front end and back end) as expected but overall the it is smooth and quite fast.

Keep up the superb work guys, I can't wait for the 1st beta :).
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...
There is no problem a good miracle can't fix.

dan1dyoung
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dan1dyoung » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi,

Great to see it finally out there, well done all.

The sample data part is working in IE8 now but when i add a new category and then choose Apply/Save/Save+New it fails with the JS error below (Cance still works):

Code: Select all

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Timestamp: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:03:49 UTC

Line: 16
Char: 89
Code: 0
URI: http://localhost/j16a2/media/system/js/mootools-core.js

Line: 16
Char: 89
Code: 0
URI: http://localhost/j16a2/media/system/js/mootools-core.js
Thanks

Dan

EDIT: Typo's

dan1dyoung
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dan1dyoung » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:15 pm

If i go to add new redirect and click on apply with or without adding any data then i get the error below:

Code: Select all

Illegal variable _files or _env or _get or _post or _cookie or _server or _session or globals passed to script.
Thanks

Dan

Suli3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Suli3 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:31 pm

wow

but the same as in J1.5 no multilingual support. multilingual support is a core issue and not a component issue. look at all other CMS.

But good job

oldbrit
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by oldbrit » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:25 pm

Thank you, MasterChief!!
masterchief wrote:Hi Liz
If a dev is doing things the right way, and is truly running on the native 1.5 API then they will be in a good place and have the least amount of change (for components, plugins, and modules).

I would assume the JED will include a version 1.6 label at the appropriate time. It's too early for that yet though.

The biggest issue is that out-of-the-box the CSS and structure will change (tableless, semantic, etc). 1.6 will have an impact on templates but there should be workarounds (to what degree I'm not sure) available.
Thank you for your response.

It sounds like the API structure and event sequencing will be about the same, but with tightened up error checking and changes to the arguments passed in the API calls -- which means that developers could get a good head start by making their stuff fully comply with the 1.5 API.

It also sounds like the templating system have changes to the tags for rendering some of the components and that eliminating the tables will mean a template may not be prepared to receive what J 1.6 is spitting out. BUT, if I am understanding you correctly, the structure of a template, sequencing of events, and where the rendering tags are placed in a template will be about the same -- Meaning that templates won't have to be rebuilt from scratch, but that tags will have to be updated and tables eliminated or adjusted to accept the new J 1.6 output.

THE POINT IS:

1. I can probably reduce my template conversion problems by building new sites with tableless templates.

2. I should be asking questions about Full 1.5 API compliance when I evaluate a component, module, or plugin. -- If I understand you correctly, "Native 1.5" doesn't necessarily mean full API compliance.

It might be helpful if the extensions gallery had a tag for "Fully 1.5 API compliant"

That way site builders would know which extensions are likely to be more compliant and have less conversion problems. In the mean-time, I'll look for extensions that were built from scratch for J 1.5 on the (possibly dangerous) assumption, that if the extension started life under J 1.5, it's more likely to have less J 1.6 compliance problems than extensions that were converted to J 1.5 from J 1.0.

Maybe you could start a trend by labeling your fully-compliant extensions as "Fully J 1.5 API Compliant" and featuring that prominently in the extensions gallery!

Thank you again for the valuable info.

Liz

wingnut144
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wingnut144 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:30 pm

Does someone have this up on a live site with the new template that I can see?

I'm gettin ready to install this, but thought I'd take a look at it first.... :)

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:34 pm

gobezu wrote:
1. is there any discussion between the joomla dev team and nooku team, it would be so good to have one good foundation rather than ....
The development lists are public so anyone can contribute to such discussions, but I don't believe they are involved. Koowa, to me, seems to be on a divergent path to replace the entire Joomla framework, not augment it like some other devs do. That's totally fine and probably just means they have plans beyond Joomla for their framework, probably even make it standalone if I were to take a guess. Up to them really _shrug_.
gobezu wrote:2. JForms which I read in the announcement is to be seen nowhere... assuming it is a form component which is really a good idea to have around
JForm is a form "API", not a Form building component. You actually see it everywhere in the core, for example, as you edit and article. It's actually a by-product of my own CCK-like extension and it will benefit all the developers any sort of component (including, but not limited to, CCK's like Zoo and K2).
<><
http://www.kiva.org/team/joomla - Got Joomla for free? Pay it forward and help fight poverty.

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Suli3 wrote:but the same as in J1.5 no multilingual support. multilingual support is a core issue and not a component issue. look at all other CMS.
There are improvements being added that will help extensions like Joomfish (built in language table). There will be a language field added everywhere so you can actually set up a multi-language web site and switch between, for example, English and French, and then only content, modules, menus, etc, marked as French will display. This, I think, will actually meet a lot of the needs of many sites.

However, there will be no dynamic/transparent translation like Joomfish does in the 1.x series as far as I am aware. That's a job for clean, new architecture in 2.x.
<><

Suli3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Suli3 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:42 pm

But you say it is a job to clean why not now!! I mean it is a core issue this is a very NOGO for joomla which has a so big comunity

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:47 pm

oldbrit wrote:BUT, if I am understanding you correctly, the structure of a template, sequencing of events, and where the rendering tags are placed in a template will be about the same -- Meaning that templates won't have to be rebuilt from scratch, but that tags will have to be updated and tables eliminated or adjusted to accept the new J 1.6 output.
Correct.
oldbrit wrote:1. I can probably reduce my template conversion problems by building new sites with tableless templates.
Yes, and apply some layout overrides like you see in Beez. These types of templates *should* just work. So, yes, there is a lot you can do to future proof your template.
oldbrit wrote:2. I should be asking questions about Full 1.5 API compliance when I evaluate a component, module, or plugin. -- If I understand you correctly, "Native 1.5" doesn't necessarily mean full API compliance.
Correct, 1.5 Native means that an extension will run in Joomla 1.5 without the 1.0 legacy mode. The simplest question you can ask is "do you support Joomla's native layout overrides?". If the answer is yes, they are probably in a good place. If they answer no, it means the component probably works but you miss out on a lot of built-in goodness that Joomla affords you.
oldbrit wrote:It might be helpful if the extensions gallery had a tag for "Fully 1.5 API compliant"
Hard to do without probably a certification programme - which would cost the developer money. It's not a bad idea, I've just not heard any good proposals that would be affordable (to the certifier and the certifiee) and sustainable.
oldbrit wrote:Maybe you could start a trend by labeling your fully-compliant extensions as "Fully J 1.5 API Compliant" and featuring that prominently in the extensions gallery!
Well, I know I'm going to start marketing some of my JXtended extensions "1.6 ready". Hopefully that will catch on ;)
<><

ametzler
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ametzler » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:49 pm

I am heading out the door but wanted to ask quickly, I know it's alpha so things are VERY rough but is it safe enough to begin creating a template for it?

Have to see, only had a few to play in the admin section but the change from Apha1 to Alpha2 for the acl piece is absolutely wonderful. I am absolutely loving it. I need to make a usergroup for each teacher in our district so I have been stuck with 1.0 but can not wait to start moving our template over to 1.6!!

amg99
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by amg99 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:49 pm

Testing out and here are the things I noticed:
*Installation went smoothly on localhost MAMP v1.7.2 using Firefox 3.5.3 on Leopard

1. Global Config > Default Editor -- Indicates CodeMirror but the plugin is not present.
2. Menu Manager > Add Menu -- The term "Menu Type" is confusing. Then I realized its the same as "Unique Name" in 1.5. While looking at the Module Parameters "Menu Name" still remains.
3. Media Manager -- Default image folder is now "images", however under "Options", the "Path to image folder" remains to be "images/stories".
4. When creating a "New" article, readmore is already inserted.
5. Setting Allow Ratings and Comments to "Yes" and nothing changes.
6. Editing the Article "Welcome to Joomla!" and hitting the "Apply" button repeatedly inserts "BodyText" on the intro part, so its now "IntroText BodyText...".
7. Cannot change default template to "Atomic"

Overall, I really like what's done so far. great work!

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:51 pm

Suli3 wrote:But you say it is a job to clean why not now!! I mean it is a core issue this is a very NOGO for joomla which has a so big comunity
Joomla has a huge user community, but we only have so many skilled developers and contributors that are able to help out with the required time. But regardless, you have to cap things somewhere and there is still many thousands of hours of work just to complete the access control/permissions system and to finish off 1.6 in general. True ML is a very *big* project - to take it on now would blow 1.6 into a 2012 release. I don't think anyone wants that. So, sorry, we just have to draw the line somewhere :)
<><

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:52 pm

wingnut144 wrote:Does someone have this up on a live site with the new template that I can see?
No, it's too early and I would not install 1.6 on a live site. I don't know that it's secure enough yet.
<><

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:53 pm

ametzler wrote:I am heading out the door but wanted to ask quickly, I know it's alpha so things are VERY rough but is it safe enough to begin creating a template for it?
Personally, I would wait until the first Beta. The frontend markup is just not ready yet.
<><

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:07 pm

amg99 wrote:Testing out and here are the things I noticed:
*Installation went smoothly on localhost MAMP v1.7.2 using Firefox 3.5.3 on Leopard

<snip>
Yeah, I'm working my way backwards through the backend components. Working on com_users next. The 'M' components are a ways off :)
<><

jejonesjnr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jejonesjnr » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:20 pm

Having difficulty installing this one. I have created a new database on my site and transferred all the files across. When I try to run the installation, I get "A file permissions error has occurred. Please check the permissions on the script and the directory it is in and try again."
I already run a joomla 1.5 website on the server so I know everything on the server is okay. I have even CHMOD the directories and files to 777 but the same error appears.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

amg99
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by amg99 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:49 pm

this is an alpha 2 release. Its not yet supposed to be installed on a live server. I suggest doing it on a local pc with XAMPP, wampserver or MAMP.

imscoop22
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by imscoop22 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:10 am

Andrew, have you gotten any sleep lately?

Thanks for all the work you put into the code but also for the time you've spent in here engaging with the broader community!
<><

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:53 am

imscoop22 wrote:Andrew, have you gotten any sleep lately?
Yeah I do ok but others (like Ron and co) have been burning the midnight oil, that's for sure.
<><

ametzler
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ametzler » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:12 am

Thanks! You guys are doing an absolutely awesome job with it!!

shanekiller
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shanekiller » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:14 am

Hi when i try to install it i get this error..

"message

* Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL"

I checked and double checked everything is how it should be.

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:36 am

It's appropriate to remind everyone that Joomla 1.6 needs PHP 5.2.x (5.3.x may have some hitherto unfixed bugs) and MySQL 5.0.4+. Should be one of the first things you check.
<><

shanekiller
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shanekiller » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:39 am

.. Lol {I checked and double checked everything is how it should be.} including the MySQL version...

SFGolfer
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by SFGolfer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:40 am

@shanekiller

Just to double check - your db is created first before attempting the installation?
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

Return to “Announcements Discussions”