Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Beta Released

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Beta Released

Post by HarryB » Tue May 18, 2010 1:59 pm

pe7er wrote:
howman wrote:All I see "Use Apache mod_rewrite" IIS has a rewrite mod but this does not seam to work with IIS. is there a way to get Search Engine Friendly URLs to work with IIS ?

if you have Search Engine Friendly URLs off and Use Apache mod_rewrite off links work correctly.
Could you do a test with Joomla 1.5 at the same server? I suppose that you will run into the same error.
Your problem seems IIS related because mod_rewrite is not possible at IIS (only at Apache webserver).
See also the Joomla! on IIS webserver forum for installation of Joomla (1.5) on IIS.
I am running 1.6 on a Linux box and here's what I observed:
  • SEF disabled - no issues
  • SEF enabled and using .htaccess file - no issues
  • SEF enabled, no htaccess file, add suffix (which is default setting I think) - loses formatting on some pages, gets 404 error on others...appears to be related to depth of category nesting...
Go to http://rc.hrpr.com/j16/ to see examples of various error conditions.

Has anyone posted in bug tracker regarding this issue?

[EDIT] yes they did...

http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=18529

http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=20507
Last edited by HarryB on Tue May 18, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need a helping hand, use the one at the end of your own arm.
www.hrpr.com

sdae07
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by sdae07 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:50 pm

Okay, I was finally able to install my first template to the new 1.6. But I am getting the following error when setting it as my default:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getCfg() on a non-object in /home/content/M/L/S/MLS1970/html/joomla-beta/templates/theme_business23/index.php on line 12

I'm not a genious with code, so not sure how to resolve this issue. Please if someone has a suggestion?
Last edited by sdae07 on Tue May 18, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by howman » Tue May 18, 2010 3:09 pm

pe7er wrote:
howman wrote:All I see "Use Apache mod_rewrite" IIS has a rewrite mod but this does not seam to work with IIS. is there a way to get Search Engine Friendly URLs to work with IIS ?

if you have Search Engine Friendly URLs off and Use Apache mod_rewrite off links work correctly.
Could you do a test with Joomla 1.5 at the same server? I suppose that you will run into the same error.
Your problem seems IIS related because mod_rewrite is not possible at IIS (only at Apache webserver).
See also the Joomla! on IIS webserver forum for installation of Joomla (1.5) on IIS.
Thank you there is some info there at the link you posted and I am going to try it so i thank very much pe7er for taking the time to post that link.

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Tue May 18, 2010 3:22 pm

Hi there hello all joomla-friends. And a special hello to HarryB! ;)

- i am hot! I want to test the system in a beta beta page.

Do you think this is possible? Look forward to a fruitfull discussion.

And yes: i am happy to see this great step forward
Last edited by unleash_it on Tue May 18, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
regards un-leash,
a big fan for ++ 11 years now: With Joomla you can easily create and extend your website: see the site, that offers you ideas & modules - extensions.joomla.org - it lists over 4000 extensions

adje
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by adje » Tue May 18, 2010 4:26 pm

thanks a lot Joomla 1.6 developers crew.
Installation on my experimental (live) site went without any problem. Testing will start.
When can we expect the first extensions (including templates)?
Adrian

bambucha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

I can't login

Post by bambucha » Tue May 18, 2010 4:38 pm

After instalation I have:

Fatal error: Call to a member function login() on a non-object in administrator/components/com_login/admin.login.php on line 59

Joomla 1.6 beta

kirba
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kirba » Tue May 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Great work guys ;)

As i can see template creation should not be much different comparing with one for j1.5, right?

shootfast
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shootfast » Tue May 18, 2010 11:39 pm

flowta wrote:Hi, brilliant, looking forward to playing with it.

Where do I go to report issues, or see if others have already resolved issues? (Only home page templates are working on my first 1.6 install :)

Regards

Gary
Try turning off "Search Engine Friendly URLs" , you can find this under Global Configuration-Site-SEO Settings (top right hand side of the page). If it works after this, you may need to make some server setting changes to get the SEO's working properly, but the templates should work with SEO off.

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Tue May 18, 2010 11:55 pm

sdae07 wrote:Okay, I was finally able to install my first template to the new 1.6. But I am getting the following error when setting it as my default:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getCfg() on a non-object in /home/content/M/L/S/MLS1970/html/joomla-beta/templates/theme_business23/index.php on line 12

I'm not a genious with code, so not sure how to resolve this issue. Please if someone has a suggestion?
I recommend first you contact the author of the template. There are some changes required to make all extensions work, and then some more if developers/designers are following the full 1.5 API (I'll bet that problem is to do with a $mainframe variable). If you are the author I recommend you join this group to discuss the problem in detail: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general
Andrew Eddie - Tweet @AndrewEddie
<><
http://eddify.me
http://www.kiva.org/team/joomla - Got Joomla for free? Pay it forward and help fight poverty.

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: I can't login

Post by masterchief » Tue May 18, 2010 11:57 pm

bambucha wrote:After instalation I have:

Fatal error: Call to a member function login() on a non-object in administrator/components/com_login/admin.login.php on line 59

Joomla 1.6 beta
There is no such file. Did you drop the 1.6 package over the top of an existing 1.5 site?
<><
http://www.kiva.org/team/joomla - Got Joomla for free? Pay it forward and help fight poverty.

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Tue May 18, 2010 11:59 pm

kirba wrote:Great work guys ;)

As i can see template creation should not be much different comparing with one for j1.5, right?
The index.php side of things is pretty much exactly the same. However, all core output has changed (for the better) so markup and CSS will be quite different in 1.6 out of the box. That's the only thing you have to watch for.
<><

sdae07
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by sdae07 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:19 am

It is the mainframe causing the error! When I look on line 12 this is what I see, which is preventing my entire template from showing up:

$live_site = $mainframe->getCfg('live_site');

However, I'm not the author and I'm unable to make contact. :'( Is there a simple fix, something I can change in that code to make it work properly?

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Wed May 19, 2010 12:45 am

sdae07 wrote: $live_site = $mainframe->getCfg('live_site');

However, I'm not the author and I'm unable to make contact. :'( Is there a simple fix, something I can change in that code to make it work properly?
Ha! Good guess eh :)

Ok, change the line to

Code: Select all

$live_site       = JFactory::getApplication()->getCfg('live_site');
See how that goes.
<><

adam_nz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by adam_nz » Wed May 19, 2010 1:46 am

A *brand new* Joomla 1.6 beta install on WinXP/Apache/2.2.8 (Win32) PHP/5.2.4/MySQL/5.0.51a.

Install went OK - with sample data added. Then the first run on the public default page threw up this (sorry, this is rather ugly):

Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ab\joomla16b\libraries\joomla\plugin\helper.php on line 45
Trying to get property of non-object in D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ab\joomla16b\libraries\joomla\plugin\helper.php on line 98 (4 similar errors)

Then:

* Unknown column 'plugin' in 'where clause' SQL=SELECT folder AS type, element AS name, params FROM jos_extensions WHERE enabled >= 1 AND type = "plugin" AND state >= 0 AND access IN (1) ORDER BY ordering
* Unknown column 'plugin' in 'where clause' SQL=SELECT folder AS type, element AS name, params FROM jos_extensions WHERE enabled >= 1 AND type = "plugin" AND state >= 0 AND access IN (1) ORDER BY ordering
* JLIB_APPLICATION_ERROR_COMPONENT_NOT_LOADING

Then dozens more ...

It looks to me that (among other things) the SQL statement in "helper.php" is failng. I checked my database - jos_extensions indeed has no column "plugin" - though the "type" field appears to be populated by a fair few entries where type is "plugin".

I can't see why the statement [SQL=SELECT folder AS type, element AS name, params FROM jos_extensions WHERE enabled >= 1 AND type = "plugin" AND state >= 0 AND access IN (1) ORDER BY ordering] should fail. The data's there.

Same deal for the Admin back-end, BTW.
Last edited by adam_nz on Wed May 19, 2010 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

sdae07
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by sdae07 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:08 am

Okay thanks, masterchief. The line of code "$live_site = JFactory::getApplication()->getCfg('live_site');" did work but with errors.

It give the following:
Line: 262
Char: 1
Code: 0
URL: joomla-beta/media/system/js/mootools-core.js

This may be more complicated than just one line. My template does have a built-in drop down menu that uses mootools, so that just might be the culprit. Thanks for you help though, I'll keep researching and plugging away. :)

flowta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by flowta » Wed May 19, 2010 4:10 am

Thanks Shootfast

That worked just fine :)

Gary
shootfast wrote:
flowta wrote:Hi, brilliant, looking forward to playing with it.

Where do I go to report issues, or see if others have already resolved issues? (Only home page templates are working on my first 1.6 install :)

Regards

Gary
Try turning off "Search Engine Friendly URLs" , you can find this under Global Configuration-Site-SEO Settings (top right hand side of the page). If it works after this, you may need to make some server setting changes to get the SEO's working properly, but the templates should work with SEO off.

jnjc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla 1.6 Beta Installation Error

Post by jnjc » Wed May 19, 2010 6:28 am

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this so apologies if it is not. I am trying to install Joomla 1.6 Beta 1 and I get the following error at stage 4 of the installation (when it is creatimng the DB).

Some errors occurred while populating the database: Field 'metakey' doesn't have a default value SQL=INSERT INTO `jos_languages` (`lang_id`,`lang_code`,`title`,`title_native`,`sef`,`image`,`description`,`published`) VALUES (1,'en-GB','English (UK)','English (UK)','en','en','',1), (2,'en-US','English (US)','English (US)','us','en','',0), (3,'xx-XX','xx (Test)','xx (Test)','xx','br','',1)

I am running windows 2007:
Apache 2.2.14
Php 5.2.12
MySQL 5.1.43 (community)

I get the same error installing either UK English or US English.

TIA,
John
Free Online Competitions - http://www.competitionblog.com.au

Runner64
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Runner64 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:11 am

I changed the Editor-TinyMCE from Advanced to Extended, which I have on Joomla 1.5, but then all pages/links both in backend and frontend, where this is used (Submit an Article, Weblink,..), stopped working properly. I didn´t find any solution, so I made a new installation. Now it is OK but I will not make any changes on Editors until next release.

bambucha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: I can't login

Post by bambucha » Wed May 19, 2010 8:23 am

masterchief wrote:
bambucha wrote:After instalation I have:

Joomla 1.6 beta
There is no such file. Did you drop the 1.6 package over the top of an existing 1.5 site?

I did full new installation but it was folder with Joomla 1.6 alfa. I overwrited all files twice. You have right. Fresh install in cleaned folder is working very good ;) Thanks

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Wed May 19, 2010 9:55 am

sdae07 wrote:It give the following:
Line: 262
Char: 1
Code: 0
URL: joomla-beta/media/system/js/mootools-core.js
Joomla 1.6 runs on Mootools 1.2 now, so there could be some issues with any non-compatible MT 1.1 code.
<><

pastoweb
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joomla 1.6 extensions compatibility

Post by pastoweb » Wed May 19, 2010 12:03 pm

Hi, with the release of the first beta I was wondering if the extensions for 1.5 will work without hassle, if there will be a "legacy mode", or if we have to expect a long period for all the extension developer to release new versions of their products...

adam_nz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by adam_nz » Wed May 19, 2010 12:11 pm

Just to add to my previous error report - I tried installs in both languages - no deal. Has anyone on the team actually tried 1.6 beta on a Windows platform (with PHP5/MySQL5)?

zebrafilm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zebrafilm » Wed May 19, 2010 1:35 pm

It might be a good idea to start a Joomla 1.6 section in the forum?

When installing the new beta I get also the error:
•Some errors occurred while populating the database: Field 'metakey' doesn't have a default value SQL=INSERT INTO `jos_languages` (`lang_id`,`lang_code`,`title`,`title_native`,`sef`,`image`,`description`,`published`) VALUES (1,'en-GB','English (UK)','English (UK)','en','en','',1), (2,'en-US','English (US)','English (US)','us','en','',0), (3,'xx-XX','xx (Test)','xx (Test)','xx','br','',1)

All tables and fields are created in the database.
Running the SQL from the error also runs fine but I can't get past the Database screen nor find a way to manually create a config file.
Joomla 1.5 runs fine on the same server.

Running WSRV2008 R2 with IIS7
PHP Built on: Windows NT SERVER3 6.1 build 7600
Database Version: 5.1.46-community
Database Collation: utf8_general_ci
PHP Version: 5.2.13
Web Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5
Web Server to PHP interface: cgi-fcgi

flyaddict
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

1.5.17 to 1.6 upgrade

Post by flyaddict » Wed May 19, 2010 1:41 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong place. Will this be an easy process or a headache? Can someone point me to any discussions on this?

Thx so much

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed May 19, 2010 2:08 pm

You can just use the bug report forum or better yet the tracker.

This seems to be an environment specific issue which we have a few reports on but most peopel don't have. So if you put it in the tracker please put really complete information like you have here.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed May 19, 2010 2:12 pm

@Adam,

It's really not necessary to be sarcastic. Of course many people have tried on many different platforms,and we all do the best we can working together as a community.

To me it seems like there may be some issues with some specific tables and some specific MySQL releases. But it is just a hypothesis. Please post an issue report in the 1.6. tracker.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

adam_nz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by adam_nz » Wed May 19, 2010 2:52 pm

mcsmom wrote:@Adam,

It's really not necessary to be sarcastic. Of course many people have tried on many different platforms,and we all do the best we can working together as a community.

To me it seems like there may be some issues with some specific tables and some specific MySQL releases. But it is just a hypothesis. Please post an issue report in the 1.6. tracker.
Sorry - my frustration was getting to me. I'd have laughed it off if it were an Alpha, but by Beta, I was expecting to be able to at least install it. I've managed to get some early Alphas working - hence my impatience.

I'll post in the tracker from now on - at least I can try to be constructive ;)

If it helps, I think it's something to do with MySQL5 being much stricter with field definitions, null values, or empty fields.

brianksh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by brianksh » Wed May 19, 2010 3:08 pm

Great job on Joomla 1.6. I love what I see already. I installed in about 30 Minutes last night.
One thing, are administrators when admin is turned off suppose to be able to change there access to Super User? That seems like that could be a problem if you don't want administrators to be able to change Superuser functions. :eek:

adje
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by adje » Wed May 19, 2010 4:01 pm

screendump.png
I noticed that (when using Safari 4.0.5 mac) the administrator login window did not show the User Name field. Immediately after the installation it was visible but lateron it disappeared. This phenomenon was not observed when using firefox (mac).
Therafter I did a complete fresh install but the problem remains.
Strange. Anyone a suggestion?
Adrian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kirba
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kirba » Wed May 19, 2010 4:11 pm

On your attachment i can see fields for both user name and password, but they are only moved down.

Return to “Announcements Discussions”