Installation Step 5: FTP setup --- error HELP!!!

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ViriiGuy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Installation Step 5: FTP setup --- error HELP!!!

Post by ViriiGuy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:46 am

AmyStephen wrote: Utssace -

Please read through Tequila's well documented approach
I have done this and every other suggestion. I too cannot get the FTP to work, nor can I upload or modify any files thru Joomla.
My test server was set up following http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_mandriva_2006 over a year ago and has worked perfectly in all other uses. The FTP server works just fine again in all other applications. I have read thru every suggestion I could find about this issue on these forums with no luck at all. I should also mention I am using the most recent nightly build.

If one of the developers would like to check out my system personally to see if they can figure out why so many of us are seeing this, feel free to email or pm me, I will give you the login info you need. I am just as eager as everyone else to find a solution to this problem so I can check out this new Joomla.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:59 am

ViriiGuy -

The developers are pretty busy and there is not much information on what has been attempted and what happened, as a result.

The point I was trying to make about Tequila's post was that it was really helpful because of how each step attempted was documented - what was tried - and what happened. Screen prints, would help, too.

The more you are able to document your steps and the failures, the better able people can assist.

Good luck!
Tequila wrote: I finally got my FTP working.

What I did

1. At the beginning I installed Joomla! 1.5.0 Production/Stable [ Endeleo ].
2. I got this error when I tried to setup the FTP in step 5 (tried different combinations with no luck).
3. Anyway I continued with the installation without configuring FTP at that moment.
4. After the installation was completed, I went to Joomla's Global Configuration panel and enabled FTP in server tab.
5. The owner of configuration.php file changed and I wasn't able to do any more changes to Global Configuration.
6. I then asked my ISP to reset the owner of configuration.php (to be owned by my ftp user once again).
7. I disabled FTP in configuration.php manually.
8. Downloaded and installed the latest nightly RC build (8820) to solve another problem.
9. Then uploaded a JPG file using media manager to check for owner effect.
10. Noticed that image owner was not my ftp user but a server owner.
11. I then installed a Joomla 1.5 Plugin.
12. Noticed that plugin owner was not my ftp user either.
13. I enabled FTP in configuration.php manually using exact the same parameters as in my CuteFTP client and a single / in FTP root field.
14. Then installed a Joomla component for testing purposes.
15. Everything worked fine and the owner of this new component directories and files was finally my own ftp user.
16. Made some changes to configuration.php using Global Configuration panel and the owner remained the same (i.e. my ftp user).

What I learnt

1. You need to read posts and documentation to solve your problems.
2. You may pass step 5 ftp config without fully testing and configuring ftp service and you will be able to install extensions but the owner problem will remain as long as FTP is not enabled.
3. In my case, a simple / in FTP root field was enough and an initial manual configuration was necessary to avoid ownership problems.
4. I didn't have to use localhost but exactly the same FTP settings I use in CuteFTP.
5. At the beginning I thought my FTP service was not Joomla compatible but all I needed was a manual configuration.

Good luck everybody!

Jorge

ViriiGuy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ViriiGuy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:12 pm

Well, I have the exact same problem at Tequila except my FTP never works from inside the site. The only way thus far I have been about to make 1.5 RC2 work on my server is to turn off the FTP layer and chmod a lot of folders to 777, which is fine for my test server, but not for a production server. I have followed Tequila's steps exactly and have been able to recreate every step and problem. When I upload files, mods, components etc etc thru Joomla, they are not owned by the website account, the user is listed as unknown and the group is listed as apache.

TheBear
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by TheBear » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:22 am

For what it is worth. I am also setup on a Direct Admin server. I too ran into issues with trying to use any ftp user other than the default site user (I feel this is a problem with the FTP engine used by Joomla as no other FTP client has a problem with the additional users).

One thing to remember for those trying to use Joomla 1.5 on a DA box. The main ftp account logs in with just the username part. The additional users must log in using the username AND the domain name. However, even entering it like that it still did not work for me.

Additionally, there is what I consider a severe bug when trying to save the global configuration. If you are having issues with the FTP settings, such that you get an error, NO OTHER SETTING CHANGES ARE SAVED!

This means you must manually disable the FTP settings in the configuration.php file yourself.

My settings for FTP with a DA hosted site are:
FTP HOST: DNS name (e.g. ftp.example.com)
FTP PORT: 21
FTP USERNAME: xxxx (default ftp username for that site account)
FTP PASSWORD: ******
FTP ROOT: /public_html

Hope that helps

ViriiGuy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ViriiGuy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:08 am

Yep, I am/was having the same problem. I have a work around for the moment. I made my sites root folder part of the apache group. Then CHMODed that folder and all sub-folders to 755. So far this, with the FTP layer turned off has the site "working". I am able to install modules and make changes to the config files.

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:46 am

TheBear wrote: For what it is worth. I am also setup on a Direct Admin server. I too ran into issues with trying to use any ftp user other than the default site user (I feel this is a problem with the FTP engine used by Joomla as no other FTP client has a problem with the additional users).

One thing to remember for those trying to use Joomla 1.5 on a DA box. The main ftp account logs in with just the username part. The additional users must log in using the username AND the domain name. However, even entering it like that it still did not work for me.

Additionally, there is what I consider a severe bug when trying to save the global configuration. If you are having issues with the FTP settings, such that you get an error, NO OTHER SETTING CHANGES ARE SAVED!

This means you must manually disable the FTP settings in the configuration.php file yourself.

My settings for FTP with a DA hosted site are:
FTP HOST: DNS name (e.g. ftp.example.com)
FTP PORT: 21
FTP USERNAME: xxxx (default ftp username for that site account)
FTP PASSWORD: ******
FTP ROOT: /public_html

Hope that helps
First thing to check, is whether the ftp root value is correct.  It looks like it could be, but it is best to make certain.  To do this, start your ftp client, and go to the root, and then find the path to your Joomla! root.

Based on the value you specified, if you were to ftp into your site with that account, you could do:
cd /public_html
and you would find yourself at the root of your Joomla! install, and you would see the various directories, such as components, modules, plugins, libraries, etc etc...

If you check that and it is still not working, I would check this thread: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,147281.0.html

Figure out what FTP server you are running and what version of PHP you are running, and determine if that is the issue.  If you want to be ambitious and thorough in troubleshooting the problem, install the unittests and try it out.  If you want help with this, you can create a temporary FTP account for me on the server and I can run them from here.  PM me if you are interested in that.

Beyond that, not too much I can suggest.  These problems are difficult to diagnose, especially when noone on the dev team is experiencing them - it is hard to determine what is going on.

Anyway, hope that helps,
Ian

bvanwie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bvanwie » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:02 pm

ianmac wrote: Beyond that, not too much I can suggest.  These problems are difficult to diagnose, especially when noone on the dev team is experiencing them - it is hard to determine what is going on.
I'll be glad to set up one of the dev team with an ftp user account, mapped subdomain, and whatever else I can supply so that they can experience this problem firsthand.  Please PM me if you are interested.

beatThis
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by beatThis » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:16 pm

Wonder if anyone can help a beginner?
Have installed Wamp and trying to install Joomla and have no ideá what to type for ftp setting(name/pass/path)?
the joomla dictionary is in wamp/www
and it¨s local

Do I need a ftp program or is there on inside joomla?
thanks
Last edited by beatThis on Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViriiGuy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ViriiGuy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:48 pm

On mine, the FTP server I use is ProFTPD if that is any help to you. I will check the thread you posted when I get home. I know my root folder is correct and I know my ftp settings are correct.

Templecloud
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Templecloud » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:17 am

I've just been stuck on this like everyone else but found a solution that eventually worked for me on the Rochen forum - so thought I'd pass it on. Thanks to "Josh K" who spared me endless frustration!

1) In cPanel, under Files -> FTP Accounts, create a new account. Set the Directory field to be "public_html", or if you installed Joomla in a subdirectory, enter the full subdirectory. You want to limit access to only the Joomla files instead of your full account.

2) In step 5 of the Joomla installation, enter the username and password you created. Click on Autofind FTP Path. You should see the 'FTP Root Path' field automatically fill in as "/" and you'll be told that the FTP settings are valid. Remember to use the full username, not just part. This is visible in cPanel and will be something like 'user@domainname'.

3) Optionally, click on "Advanced Settings" and change 'Save FTP Password' to 'Yes'. Note that this is a small security risk, because it makes you vulnerable if you do not protect your configuration.php file.

Hope this helps as so many seem to be stuck on this issue...

Frances

kierangyo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kierangyo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:38 am

Thankyou very much for all the help on this topic, a quick change from ftp.mysite.com to localhost was the prob!

beatThis
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by beatThis » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:14 am

Still haven´t got these things to work! Need help quick!
What should i write  for ftp settings???? (name/pass/path)

my setting:
windows xp and wamp

path: C:\wamp\www\Joomla\

wamp is all default. should I change anything? safe mode?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:45 pm

Those of you who are using localhosts do *not* need to have this FTP capability enabled to use Joomla!.

The FTP is intended to help smooth out some of the problems Linux users have on web hosts when installing extensions.

HTH!
Amy :)

@Templecloud - that post ROCKS! Consider working with Andy on the User Doc Team if you have a bit of time to share.  8)

drys
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by drys » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:29 pm

on remote server
click the advanced settings  tab replace the number with your ftp url  ftp.domain.com
click werify ftp settings and i shoud find the path :)

ie says the settings not right but it did found my ftp path
so guess its ok. :)

charlesjevans
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by charlesjevans » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:15 am

Here was the solution to my Joomla 1.5 FTP Configuration Installation Problem:

- Ignore the FTP Configuration step during the installation but finish the installation.
  - Create a new FTP account with access to the directory where Joomla 1.5 is installed.
  - Make sure you are certain about the username and password!
  - Now manually edit the Joomla 1.5 configuration.php file - The FTP settings are:

var $ftp_enable = '1';
var $ftp_host = 'ftp.mywebsite.org';
var $ftp_port = '21';
var $ftp_user = '[email protected]';
var $ftp_pass = 'accountpassword';
var $ftp_root = '/';

- Save changes to the Configuration.php file.

I tried all kinds of variations until this one finally worked. When I logged into the Joomla 1.5 Administrator panel I was able to delete/upload/download files OK.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:44 am

Thanks very much, Charles.

Now - if you create the ID prior to installing Joomla!, you can use that information that you copied into your configuration file during the install. Your instructions are perfect for that - and it does work!

Thanks and welcome to Joomla!, hope to see you around the forums!
Amy :)

blackrocket145
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by blackrocket145 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:18 am

charlesjevans wrote: Here was the solution to my Joomla 1.5 FTP Configuration Installation Problem:

- Ignore the FTP Configuration step during the installation but finish the installation.
  - Create a new FTP account with access to the directory where Joomla 1.5 is installed.
  - Make sure you are certain about the username and password!
  - Now manually edit the Joomla 1.5 configuration.php file - The FTP settings are:

var $ftp_enable = '1';
var $ftp_host = 'ftp.mywebsite.org';
var $ftp_port = '21';
var $ftp_user = '[email protected]';
var $ftp_pass = 'accountpassword';
var $ftp_root = '/';

- Save changes to the Configuration.php file.

I tried all kinds of variations until this one finally worked. When I logged into the Joomla 1.5 Administrator panel I was able to delete/upload/download files OK.
This suggestion worked for me with a minor change to this line:

var $ftp_user = 'accountname';

I did not need to put the @mydomain.com

By the way, I host with aplus.net on a Linux shared server.

porki
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by porki » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:40 pm

As this seems to be a complicated issue, I cannot tell for sure if this is a solution that will work for anyone else, but here it goes:

My system is as follows:

Linux Ubuntu 6.06 Server
Apache 2.0.55
PHP 5.1.2
Joomla 1.5.1 Production/Stable

As my ftp log didn't show any activity from joomla except from the login, I came up with the idea of commenting out all calls to ftp_pasv() in /libraries/joomla/client/ftp.php (actually, I commented out everything from if(...) to } ), since using passive mode usually doesn't make much sence as the client resides on the same physical machine as the server.

To my supprise (well, I had a slight hope that it would work), the FTP layer was now working seemingly perfect. I was convinced that my problem had something to do with passive mode. Doing some further investigation, I found that I had set a setting called "pasv_address" in my vsftpd config file, which overrides the IP address that vsftpd will advertise in response to the PASV command. I removed this from my config and restarted the ftp daemon, also replacing the modified ftp.php with the original one (containing passive mode).

This worked like a dream too. Now I have a fully working FTP layer with my joomla installation. I am convinced that this is only a solution to one FTP layer-related issue. But it's worth looking into. Especially I recommend commenting out the passive mode references in ftp.php to see if it gives any result.

Maybe joomla should provide a checkbox (in the FTP layer settings section) whether or not to use passive mode?

Almost forgot to mention. My FTP settings are pretty much default:

User: ***
Pass: ***
FTP Root: /public_html/
Host: 127.0.0.1
Port: 21
Last edited by porki on Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

KG6BGJ
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KG6BGJ » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:56 am

I'm having a similar issue with the FTP during the installation of Joomla v1.5.1 (stable). I have entered the basic FTP settings in the setup screen and when I click verify, I get a message, "The FTP settings are not valid or your FTP server is not compatible with Joomla!: The function "RETR" failed". If I enter the same exact settings into my standard FTP client I get right in and I can transfer a file to my desktop using the RETR command just fine. I don't get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I finally decided to skip the step in the installation process and manually edit the configuration.php file as someone suggested above. I can upload files using the media manager (not sure if that's using FTP though) however I am unable to install any sort of extension. After clicking the "Upload File & Install" button, the browser points to /administrator/index.php and a plain white page appears. I took a look in the tmp directory and the file is there however. So do I have an FTP problem or some other issue?

steevithak
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by steevithak » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:18 pm

I tried installing Joomla 1.5.1 today and ran into the same FTP problem that everyone else is seeing. After pondering it awhile, I think I realized what's wrong. Joomla seems to be making the assumption that the paths seen by the ftp user will be identical to those seen by PHP running as the Apache user. This is almost never true if the ftp account is chroot'ed.

In my case the actual physical path to Joomla is something like '/var/www/joomla' but the ftp account does a chroot to that path to ensure the ftp user can't access other areas of the server. So, from the point of view of the ftp user, Joomla is in '/'. If I do a "cd /' in a real ftp client, it works fine, so one would naturally assume that putting '/' in Joomla's ftp setup is the right thing to do. But '/' results in an error every time. Leaving the path blank also results in an error.

It finally occurred to me to put a '.' in the path and that worked great, finally getting me past this stage of the install. In effect, using a dot for the path tells Joomla to ignore all those conflicting paths and just live with the current directory, whatever the ftp server defaults to. I'm betting this solution will work for others who are on a server using chroot'ed ftp accounts.

A better long term solution would probably be to have Joomla fall back to a setting like this automatically when it has trouble matching the paths, rather than expecting the user to puzzle it out for themselves.

keilaniswk
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by keilaniswk » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:00 pm

Hello evryone,

Yes, this error happened to me too.

I have tried the solution by steevithak on the previous post and it dos work.

If you are having the same error, you should try it.

Thanx :)

trethacker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by trethacker » Fri May 16, 2008 3:53 am

steevithak wrote: ...
It finally occurred to me to put a '.' in the path and that worked great, finally getting me past this stage of the install. In effect, using a dot for the path tells Joomla to ignore all those conflicting paths and just live with the current directory, whatever the ftp server defaults to. I'm betting this solution will work for others who are on a server using chroot'ed ftp accounts...
I host my site through an ISP hosting server. I too was having issues getting FTP to work, even tho all of my user info and addresses are correct and verified with the ISP.

My errors included "Can't connect to...", "Can't switch to PASV...", and "Can't login..."

After reading this post, I tried changing the root dir to "./" (without quotes) and now FTP works flawlessly.

Good thinking steevithak. Easy fix. I do agree that this should be included in the setup or global config settings to make it easier on not-so-savvy users of Joomla!.

ciuly
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ciuly » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:59 pm

I just want to point out that I was also having problems with the ftp layer configuration at step 5, getting
The FTP settings are not valid or your FTP server is not compatible with Joomla!: The function "STOR" failed.
I tried most of the suggestions in some of the topic on this forum, but to no avail.
Finally, I figured to use chown the files and folders to the ftp user. that solved my problem.

louisc9
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by louisc9 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:32 am

Ok guys, I have read many of the previous posts and I admit that I'm not the most detail oriented person, nor am I coder, but I am having the same issues trying to enable the FTP layer during Joomla setup and wanted to put a different spin on it:

First, I am using Yahoo webhosting which is a shared hosting service (to the best of my knowledge).

Second, I am using the basic "easy" setup of Joomla which is basically a wizard driven version of the regular manual version of Joomla setup. Yesterday I had a problem getting Joomla to connect to MySQL but we solved that by tweaking the username and password and creating a new mySQL database specifically for my new Joomla site. Worked like a charm and no problems getting to next step.

Now my problem is that I simply can't connect to the FTP server via Joomla.

I have got errors similar to ones listed in previous posts on here about "my server may not be compatible with Joomla etc" (I'm paraphrasing here) and like others I have tried almost every conceivable combination of root paths, usernames and passwords, and now I have narrowed the error down to this:

If I try and "autofind path" I get:

"Could not logon to FTP server"

I think that accurately describes my problem.

It seems to me that if I am unable to even log onto the FTP server, then it really isn't going to matter what I put in for a server "root" path nor what FTP account I am actually using because I'm not even able to talk to the FTP server to have Joomla verify these settings.

So, I guess my question is this:

In laymen's terms what setting can I change in a manual setup that is NOT included in the automatic setup wizards and might make this work, and then a second question would be:

If there IS another setting or variable that needs to be changed to enable Joomla to logon to my FTP host, why isn't that setting included as part of the automatic setup wizard?

Not trying to be snide here, but it would be great if the automatic setup worked a bit better or could at least shed some light on why it's not working to the end user.

Of course I have verified that several different groups of logon settings work in my primary web editing environment which is Dreamweaver so I know the accounts themselves are working.

Thanks!

Louis

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:52 pm

louisc9 wrote:Ok guys, I have read many of the previous posts and I admit that I'm not the most detail oriented person, nor am I coder, but I am having the same issues trying to enable the FTP layer during Joomla setup and wanted to put a different spin on it:

First, I am using Yahoo webhosting which is a shared hosting service (to the best of my knowledge).

Second, I am using the basic "easy" setup of Joomla which is basically a wizard driven version of the regular manual version of Joomla setup. Yesterday I had a problem getting Joomla to connect to MySQL but we solved that by tweaking the username and password and creating a new mySQL database specifically for my new Joomla site. Worked like a charm and no problems getting to next step.

Now my problem is that I simply can't connect to the FTP server via Joomla.

I have got errors similar to ones listed in previous posts on here about "my server may not be compatible with Joomla etc" (I'm paraphrasing here) and like others I have tried almost every conceivable combination of root paths, usernames and passwords, and now I have narrowed the error down to this:

If I try and "autofind path" I get:

"Could not logon to FTP server"

I think that accurately describes my problem.

It seems to me that if I am unable to even log onto the FTP server, then it really isn't going to matter what I put in for a server "root" path nor what FTP account I am actually using because I'm not even able to talk to the FTP server to have Joomla verify these settings.

So, I guess my question is this:

In laymen's terms what setting can I change in a manual setup that is NOT included in the automatic setup wizards and might make this work, and then a second question would be:

If there IS another setting or variable that needs to be changed to enable Joomla to logon to my FTP host, why isn't that setting included as part of the automatic setup wizard?

Not trying to be snide here, but it would be great if the automatic setup worked a bit better or could at least shed some light on why it's not working to the end user.

Of course I have verified that several different groups of logon settings work in my primary web editing environment which is Dreamweaver so I know the accounts themselves are working.

Thanks!

Louis
First, I'm really not sure what you mean by "I am using the basic "easy" setup of Joomla which is basically a wizard driven version of the regular manual version of Joomla setup", but that seems to be beside the point. So, on to the issue at hand:

There are so many variables in this situation that it is very difficult to guess exactly what the issue is.

The concept of building an FTP client seems very simple, but in practice, it is not. The FTP spec is so loose that it is very difficult to build a client that will work with all servers. So, indeed, it is possible that Joomla! will just not work with your FTP server.

On the other hand, there are other restrictions that a host might impose on their PHP setup which would prevent the FTP client from working. It is possible that they don't have the ftp functions compiled in, which means that Joomla! has to emulate these functions. If this is the case, it could be that your host is denying connections to URLs, which obviously would mean that the FTP client will not work.

Now, the more important question to ask at this point is whether you really need the FTP layer. In many cases, and in more and more cases, it isn't as necessary as it once was because many hosts are set up in such a way that you don't have the permission issues that you had before. Are you able to complete the installation without setting up the FTP information?

If the files created by PHP are owned by the same user as the files that you are FTPing to the server, then it really isn't necessary to enable FTP mode.

And to answer your question, there are no 'hidden FTP settings'.

Ian

ciuly
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ciuly » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:30 pm

just my 2 cents: if the ftp user is different than the web server user then there will be problems. in order to make this work, since in this instance you don't have access to the web server user, your setup would need to be something like this;
- web server user in group X
- ftp user in group X
- all files/folders must have both user and group setting rw/rwx (rw-rw-(r|-)-- / rwxrwx(r|-)-(x|-) pseudo-regular expression syntax)
because basically you will login with ftp user which will not have rights to write on files owned by web server (this is in most cases the default setup)
if you can't get your ftp user in group X then your last chance is to set the all privileges to rw/rwx but only on the files/folders that really need to be writable and if you are a security concerned guy then you'll write yourself a nice script to set the privileges and to unset them and then call the script when you need ftp-ing and call the other one when you're done.

getting specific, you mentioned that you cannot log in. this is kind of weird. I suggest you stop accesing ftp for like an hour and then using joomla to do that login failure issue and then ask your host to check the ftp logs for the problem having the specific hour you done that for easy finding. there may be a setup in which you are not allowed to connect to the ftp (or other services) from localhost (it happend a few times on my own server since I run a very pesimistic firewall setup)

seanx820
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by seanx820 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:17 pm

Yeah I agree, just do a manual override for this problem (the web user ftp user mismatch)
it must just be a bug

After you delete the installation folder you can start joomla then a file will appear
configuration.php

go into that and configure as follows

var $ftp_host = 'ftp.******';
var $ftp_port = '21';
var $ftp_user = 'username';
var $ftp_pass = 'password';
var $ftp_root = '/';
var $ftp_enable = '1';

you will notice under site->configuration that the ftp fields will have changed to the correct values and let you upload/download :)

-Sean C

nickniel
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nickniel » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:37 pm

I had this problem, the solution was simple.

In the "root path" of Joomla setup, I had put "joomla", which is the directory that Joomla resides from the root.

I received the error:
The FTP settings are not valid or your FTP server is not compatible with Joomla!:
The function "RETR" failed.

When I changed the root path to "/joomla" it worked fine.

bizgro
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bizgro » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:36 am

Ok - I got my FTP working... BTW I use a shared web host with plesk. I have Joomla 1.5.15

Note: I can change my file and folder settings from my domain down. However, I have found that if FTP was not setup in Joomla and extentions installed or certain settings were made while FTP was not working then the folder ownership was set to apache and not my ftp username. This meant that I could not change the folder permissions for those apache owned files. However I was able to call my webhost and they changed ownership back to my ftp user and then I could change the permissions. So the lesson for me is to make sure FTP is enabled and working in Joomla before installing extensions or doing other activities that would create folder/s on the web host.

Before making my changes I set the configuration.php file permissions to 777

These are my FTP settings:
Enable FTP: Yes
Host: localhost
Port: 21
Username: [my FTP username on my web host]
Password: [my FTP username on my web host]
FTP Root: /httpdocs

Note 1: that my FTP IP address also worked for the Host field. I left it as localhost as Joomla is installed on the same server.

Note 2: Unlike previously mentioned by another in this post - the FTP Root for me had to be /httpdocs - I tried the / by itself and I got an error saying it couldn't change the config file - presumably because it couldn't find it.

After changing these settings successfully I changed the file permission of the configuration.php file back to 444.

jchen
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jchen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:35 pm

I, too, figure it out and post a trobleshooting guide at this link.

In terms of installation, my recommendation is to skip the ftp part by keeping the selection to "no". Then, you can enable it later in global configuration. The payoff is that you would have less problems to deal with to complete your installation.

Joseph

Return to “Installation 1.5”