Template Contest Entry - [JA Purity]

This forum is for the Joomla! 1.5 template contest, where people can post their templates.
diabolic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Template Contest Entry - [JA Purity]

Post by diabolic » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:33 pm

I love this template! And I'm already trying to use it on my first site ever  :-*

I'm very new to all this and most probably this isn't the problem with the template itself, but I just cannot make wrapper work right. I keep getting the error message "Error loading Modules:" above the wrapped content. I have a feeling that it has something to do with those beautiful menus but I just cannot solve this issue myself...

Could you point me in the right direction please?

MuffinDCC
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by MuffinDCC » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:48 pm

This template is great, there is no denying that. For me, it fits the profile of a template distributed as standard by Joomla with being a safe/conservative style design. The addition of the integrated menus was a surprise, but a pleasant and great surprise at that. All the added javascript, such as to the modules was an excellent extra as well. It is filled with extra goodies.

However, I believe the complexity of the template itself could by a negative attribute as well. Considering this is a contest for the 3rd template to be distributed with every Joomla 1.5 download, you might wish to see a more rounded template. For example, something that is between simplicity and complexity, perfectly balanced to show off the templating ability of Joomla itself, but also provide an easy platform for new users to learn the inner workings of the Joomla templating process.

In conclusion, I believe this template is great, and the standard form that you would expect a "default" design to take but could be too complex for this particular situation :)

Rapunzl
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Rapunzl » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:03 pm

I'm also working on this template for a total facelift on mine. The copyright issue is relevant as all entries must be original, and one has already been disqualified based on the author's own admission. I do agree however, unless someone has specific knowledge, it might be best for all concerned that the moderator remove any such comments. *looks around the room* I don't think anyone here would object.

This is a spectacular template, even in its complexity. I think a mixture of complexities in the basic templates of Joomla! is a good thing, as it allows even newbies to attempt new things and understand how they work.
I love trying new things, but I hate when new things try me.

MuffinDCC
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by MuffinDCC » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:17 pm

This template is completely JA's original design - the post that was submitted earlier was referring to an incident about 1-2 years ago which seems silly to bring up now.

The withdrawn submissions were to do with 2 entries being combined into a single submission.

I agree with your statement about deleting comments about such posting, edit mine concerning the issue freely :)

---

Added:
This is a spectacular template, even in its complexity. I think a mixture of complexities in the basic templates of Joomla! is a good thing, as it allows even newbies to attempt new things and understand how they work.
I agree with you here completely

---

I am not saying complexity is bad, far from it - but maybe a little too complex, I looked at the index.php and "wowsers", lots going on there  :D
Last edited by MuffinDCC on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kelb
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by kelb » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:37 pm

How can I add margins to the page? Pls look at the attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every soul will taste of death.

bilbao22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bilbao22 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:56 am

Wonderful template. Everything seems to be working fine. Fast, flexible and with a sober look and efficient look.

Just one small problem. I am trying it with the spanish language module for Joomla 1.5 RC2 v. All the information on the site appears in perfect spanish, the same way as with the milkway template with one exception. The "Read more" link is not translated to "Leer más." I am sure that the JoomlArt people will fix this with no sweat.

Thanks for the great work.

JoomlArt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JoomlArt » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:00 am

MuffinDCC wrote: This template is great, there is no denying that. For me, it fits the profile of a template distributed as standard by Joomla with being a safe/conservative style design. The addition of the integrated menus was a surprise, but a pleasant and great surprise at that. All the added javascript, such as to the modules was an excellent extra as well. It is filled with extra goodies.

However, I believe the complexity of the template itself could by a negative attribute as well. Considering this is a contest for the 3rd template to be distributed with every Joomla 1.5 download, you might wish to see a more rounded template. For example, something that is between simplicity and complexity, perfectly balanced to show off the templating ability of Joomla itself, but also provide an easy platform for new users to learn the inner workings of the Joomla templating process.

In conclusion, I believe this template is great, and the standard form that you would expect a "default" design to take but could be too complex for this particular situation :)
Thank you very much for your nice comments.
We always try to make the template as simple & flexible as possible. This is the way we standardize all templates at JA.
At first we are in 2 minds about adding/removing the embeded menu systems but finally come up with the decision of making it as template parameters. In my opinion, joomla is the most powerful CMS but from what I have known and experienced, lack of a good navigation system is one of the difficulty when your Joomla site get bigger in content.

Anyway, if you disable the integrated menu in the template parameters, no extra of codes or Javascript is called and will keep the template as lightweight as any other template. 

The template weight basically consists of the followings:
1. index.php file (9,97Kb)
2. Logo file (4,59Kb)
3. template.css (27Kb) and can be reduced to 20.58 kB using Icey - CSS Compressor
4. Header image (9,19Kb)
5. Header mask (11,8Kb) <-- Advance technique to make the header transparent without editing the original image

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:33 am

what can I say? only one thing: a very professional template  :o
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

MuffinDCC
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by MuffinDCC » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:49 am

Then the only "negative" (probably not the right term buy hey) point I can think of is complexity, you know you've got a decent template  :D

I never noticed the header image before  :-[ , thats a neat ittle extra  :)

desdevlover
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by desdevlover » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:17 pm

Joomla Junkie

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:26 pm

http://toolboxdigital.com - Front-end development for ExpressionEngine, WordPress & Joomla

ttinhha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ttinhha » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:15 pm

I'm really excited with this template. Thanks a lot!!!

svenl
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by svenl » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:22 pm

This template is what I'm looking for when rebuilding one of my older joomla-sites to 1.5.
I want a clean template with Fluid width and collapsible module positions etc.

Your in top5 with this, and probably have my vote depending on who's going to final as I haven't checked all contestants yet (as some don't have demo-sites up). 

/Sven
8)
-
Sanningen finns där ute, har du sökt efter ditt svar?
var svaret bra och löste ditt problem? Glöm då inte att ändra ditt första inlägg till löst (Solved)

ttinhha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ttinhha » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:40 pm

After installing, I go to the parameters template and I receive this error:

Fatal error: Cannot access empty property in /home/center4t/public_html/biz/libraries/joomla/registry/registry.php on line 145

Could any body show me how to solve this problem?
Thanks

Rapunzl
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Rapunzl » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:46 pm

ttinhha wrote: After installing, I go to the parameters template and I receive this error:

Fatal error: Cannot access empty property in /home/center4t/public_html/biz/libraries/joomla/registry/registry.php on line 145

Could any body show me how to solve this problem?
Thanks
If you have access to your own server, allow yourself write access. If you don't and know the account username/password, you'll have to create a joomla account on your site with those to save it. Absent that, you'll have to chmod the files to give them write access.

javcafe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by javcafe » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:47 pm

bilbao22 wrote: Wonderful template. Everything seems to be working fine. Fast, flexible and with a sober look and efficient look.

Just one small problem. I am trying it with the spanish language module for Joomla 1.5 RC2 v. All the information on the site appears in perfect spanish, the same way as with the milkway template with one exception. The "Read more" link is not translated to "Leer más." I am sure that the JoomlArt people will fix this with no sweat.

This seems a problem with Joomla 1.5 RC2. The template is tuning to work with the latest build of Joomla. In your case, you could make a quick fix by adding a new entry to the com_content language file ...com_content.ini for the Read more text:

Code: Select all

READ MORE=Your translation
JC

ttinhha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ttinhha » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:55 pm

Rapunzl wrote: If you have access to your own server, allow yourself write access. If you don't and know the account username/password, you'll have to create a joomla account on your site with those to save it. Absent that, you'll have to chmod the files to give them write access.
You said: "...allow yourself write access". I have my own access right to the server. What is file I have change CHMOD?
Thanks

ccdog
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by ccdog » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:30 pm

This one is in my top 4. Nice work!
Joomla developer, Joomla extensions
http://www.corywebbmedia.com/

JoomlArt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JoomlArt » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:22 pm

The Typo demo content is copied from the JA Nerine template, it has been changed now.

javcafe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by javcafe » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:17 pm

ttinhha wrote:
Rapunzl wrote: If you have access to your own server, allow yourself write access. If you don't and know the account username/password, you'll have to create a joomla account on your site with those to save it. Absent that, you'll have to chmod the files to give them write access.
You said: "...allow yourself write access". I have my own access right to the server. What is file I have change CHMOD?
Thanks
Please try with the file params.ini inside the template folder.
JC

bilbao22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bilbao22 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:38 pm

javcafe wrote:
bilbao22 wrote: Wonderful template. Everything seems to be working fine. Fast, flexible and with a sober look and efficient look.

This seems a problem with Joomla 1.5 RC2. The template is tuning to work with the latest build of Joomla. In your case, you could make a quick fix by adding a new entry to the com_content language file ...com_content.ini for the Read more text:

Code: Select all

READ MORE=Your translation
Done and fixed!! Thanks a lot.

mejean
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by mejean » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:08 pm

Great template "full options"  ;D

But i have the notice on frontpage
Notice: Undefined property: readmore_text in d:\mes sites\www\joomla15\templates\ja_purity\html\com_content\category\blog_item.php on line 119
Register to read more...
with the atest svn at revision 9006
Last edited by mejean on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jérôme Bussière - simple utilisateur
www.cardabelle.net

jeremy217
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jeremy217 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:28 pm

MuffinDCC wrote: This template is great, there is no denying that. For me, it fits the profile of a template distributed as standard by Joomla with being a safe/conservative style design. The addition of the integrated menus was a surprise, but a pleasant and great surprise at that. All the added javascript, such as to the modules was an excellent extra as well. It is filled with extra goodies.

What you said hit the spot..

The package seems like it is too much integrated with in itself and hard coded.  This makes it difficult for people trying to learn how to make a 1.5 template because then you think you can make a template with these same features; but in reality they are hard coded into the template with custom written php, specifically for this template. 

There seems to be lots of custom code written in php that does not really come with the 1.5 release.  it seems it was included because if not other-wise the template wouldn't work correctly.

Take advantage of what Joomla 1.5 has to offer designers, instead of creating  custom written php code that confuses designers what Joomla 1.5 can do.

I have been wanting to learn how to make a moomenu and this has helped me.
I still am wondering about a few things.

I would love to see a tutorial for how this whole template was made from beginning to end.  That would help a lot of beginners.

The Compass Design 1.5 tutorial helps a lot.

In my humble opinion I think this template is show-casing more of what Joomlart can do rather than what can be accomplished with Joomla 1.5.
Last edited by jeremy217 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rapunzl
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Rapunzl » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:05 pm

mejean wrote: Great template "full options"  ;D

Notice: Undefined property: readmore_text in d:\mes sites\www\joomla15\templates\ja_purity\html\com_content\category\blog_item.php on line 119
Register to read more...
Do you have blog set to registered instead of public in administrator back end?

Philosophy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Template Contest Entry - [JA Purity] - LOVE IT!

Post by Philosophy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:26 am

I have to say that although I haven't installed this one, I like the simplicity and cleanliness of the design.  Prior to this one I really like ja_hadar but this one takes the cake.  I have used other templates from Joomlart so I know what to expect.  Nice commenting (css) on all the newer templates, thank you. :)

K1u
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by K1u » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:49 am

Now this is amazing!
k0h.org - Security and Programming community.
Proudly powered by Joomla.

javcafe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by javcafe » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:10 am

mejean wrote: Great template "full options"  ;D

Register to read more...
Thank you for your feedback. We will collect all these bugs and release the update for Joomla!1.5 RC3 which I believe will be available soon.

Some people say that this template is complexity and hard code. Compare to those current default templates, that's right. However, this thing did come to our mind at first when designing and developing the template. We try to keep the template as simple as possible. The template must fits the demand for new comers but also be flexible enough for others who want to make customization.
For example, talking about the embedded navigation, we cannot build a good website without a good navigation. Therefore, the navigation is simply a must-have option. However, for people who want to customize the navigation, we have 2 options for them:
1. They could make modification the embedded navigation.
2. They could disable the embedded navigation and install a new navigation extension to the navigation position the template loads. (In the template parameters, that is the third options for the navigation: use external navigation).

By this way, the template doesn't only demonstrate its flexibility but also the flexibility and power of Joomla!

These template still support a lot of such hidden features for you explore and customize.  8)
JC

BaldrickThe4th
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by BaldrickThe4th » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:00 am

jeremy217 wrote: In my humble opinion I think this template is show-casing more of what Joomlart can do rather than what can be accomplished with Joomla 1.5.
Maybe I'm missing the point here, but isn't this what the competition is all about? Each contestant is using this as a platform to show-case what they can do...

If Joomlart can add that little bit extra then why not?

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:11 am

It's an opinion. You has yours, and so does he.. just a reminder to keep this thread above board.

javcafe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by javcafe » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:44 am

brad wrote: It's an opinion. You has yours, and so does he.. just a reminder to keep this thread above board.
That's right. What should be and what shouldn't be is only personal idea. If everything is standardized, why the core team need community voting for the result  :laugh:
JC

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Template Contest”