Mehdi's Bridge for Phpbb2 (not 3 yet ...)

Discuss the integratoin of phpbb and Joomla! here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Mehdi's Bridge for Phpbb2 (not 3 yet ...)

Post by mehdi » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:44 pm

hi atlantean0208,
I advise you perform a local test to understand how the bridge works.
Login/registrations are controlled from joomla, only
All login attempt from phpbb are redirected to joomla.
Same thing for registration.

atlantean0208
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by atlantean0208 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:57 am

mehdi wrote: hi atlantean0208,
I advise you perform a local test to understand how the bridge works.
Login/registrations are controlled from joomla, only
All login attempt from phpbb are redirected to joomla.
Same thing for registration.
Oh!, if that the case then its not going to work for me, its already establish that all my user visiting my website domain all redirected to my phpbb portal, so I want the user to all register/login through my phpbb portal and then they can either visit the forum or the joomla shop (virtuemart). Your mod I think can only be used if joomla controlling everything (main website).

In case if I myself want to develop a mod for this, what actually need to be done:

- to register a joomla user (I assume this will just inserting a user into the joomla user DB)
- to set a joomla session

ichanx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ichanx » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:25 pm

Hi Mehdi,

It's nice to see your creation in bridging joomla and phpbb2. But, i have a problem in language setting. I set "indonesian" as the language of my phpbb. When I use your bridge, there's a different language everytime i enter the forum. If I'm a guest in joomla, the phpbb forum still show indonesian language (both text and images). But after login, the language in phpbb change to english.... I really want to use indonesian as a language in my forum, because my whole site using indonesian... Can you help me solve this problem?

Looking forward for your reply,
Thanks a lot...

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:41 am

hi ichanx ,
I think the default language is set at indonesian,
but in your phpbb user account (see profile) , your preference is set to english.
Any new registred user should have indenosian lang set by default, while they still can change preference to english.
This problem is not related to the bridge at all.

ichanx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ichanx » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:53 am

lol....
Thanks a lot mehdi... I'm a SUPER NEWBIE in phpbb  :laugh: :laugh: ... My problem solved.... God bless you!!!

willowtree
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by willowtree » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:27 am

*Sorry for the double post - I posted this in integrations and then found the sub forum it can be deleted from the other forum*

I installed a fresh copy of phpbb and followed mehdis instructions to bridge it to joomla, as it was a fresh install i just overwrote the appropriate files.

It seems to be working quite well but the page keeps dropping down a box that says:

"The page at http://www.willowtreecrafts.co.uk says
there was a problem retrieving the xml data: Not Found"

and I can't work out how to get into the administration panel - when i go to phpbb it says i am logged in, and there is the link to the administration panel, but it won't accept my password,

Can anyone help?

tia

willowtree
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by willowtree » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:58 am

update - the xmla was because we have JIM running (PM system)

turning of the module fixed that, but I still can't login to the admin panel, it says my password is not correct,

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:35 am

hi willowtree,
update - the xmla was because we have JIM running (PM system)
yes, the bridge doesn't support any Ajax based module.
One solution id to disable them only when the forum is displayed.
but I still can't login to the admin panel, it says my password is not correct,
If the password you use for your phpbb account doesn't match the one for joomla,
you must use old phpbb's one

willowtree
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by willowtree » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:41 am

the passwords should match, I've been able to get in using the main admin acount, but i use another super admin account that i'd like to be able to use, that user has been carried over from Joomla so it should be the joomla password correct?

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:16 pm

but i use another super admin account that i'd like to be able to use, that user has been carried over from Joomla so it should be the joomla password correct?
if this account was created after bridging this won't work, because password will be salted in phpbb side.
Solution: use the older phpbb admin account (the one available before bridging), and use it to fix the passord of your new phpbb super admin account.

willowtree
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by willowtree » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:55 pm

OK, somehow I've got it working for both admin accounts,

I assume it should be fine now as all users will be transferred from the Joomla side,

one other thing, to edit the template do I have to edit the subSilverInteg.css file?

Thanks for your help and the bridge,

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:25 pm

hi willowtree,
you don't need to necessarily call your css subSilverInteg.css.
Name is set in conf file of bridge.
If you use subsilver theme, justr ovewrite theme with files provided.
If you which to use an other theme this might be less obvious, just see hacks section

willowtree
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by willowtree » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:31 pm

all i really want to do is change some colours, so i think i'll just edit the subsilverinteg.css file, i'm a phobb newbie i just need to to blend in with the rest of the site,

Thanks,

unmgroup
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by unmgroup » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:32 pm

Mehdi do you have any plans to make it compatible with Phpbb3? I have someone who is offering $1500.00 USD for a bridge that can work with PHPBB3 for Joomla. Would you be interested? I'm sure he wouldn't mind if its released to the public.

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:04 am

hi unmgroup,
I have someone who is offering $1500.00 USD for a bridge that can work with PHPBB3 for Joomla
really ? that's interesting . Maybe I can get in contact with him (if you can pm details).
Tomorrow, I travel for a week, so I might be a bit less available.
Willl try to check my mailbox from time to time though.
Thanks for the suggestion.

StumOutsourcing
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by StumOutsourcing » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:30 am

It said I wasn't allowed to send private messages, and your email address isn't listed. But I can offer you $1500 for a bridge that can work with PHPBB3 for Joomla that will be released publicly for all to use. Contact me at [email protected]

mehdi wrote: hi unmgroup,
I have someone who is offering $1500.00 USD for a bridge that can work with PHPBB3 for Joomla
really ? that's interesting . Maybe I can get in contact with him (if you can pm details).
Tomorrow, I travel for a week, so I might be a bit less available.
Willl try to check my mailbox from time to time though.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Last edited by StumOutsourcing on Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:15 am

hi StumOutsourcing
just sent you a mail

deandre81
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by deandre81 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:39 am

Hi,
I keep getting this problem with the bridges.
I have installed,
joomla 10.0.13 with community builder 1.1
coppermine 1.4.12 with bridge
Phpbb 2.0.22 with bride

all worked fine initially, but then when i start to install more modules, components and community builder plugins, the two bridges die.

i get a blank screen for coppermine and the html body error for phpbb

i have re-installed this whole setup many times to see wat is wat but i cant figure it out.

i'm now stuck trying to decide which forum to use that supports coppermine and joomla easily.

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:22 pm

hi deandre81,
- check gzip compression is disabled for joomla & phpbb
- check that you don't use any ajax based mambot/module. sorry bridges doesn't like ajax.

You can always  perform a local install, then install one by one modules, and see when problem occurs.

deandre81
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by deandre81 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:13 am

Well i do have a few Ajax modules......

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:24 am

Well i do have a few Ajax modules......
try to disable them, and see if that's the problem.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:34 am

unmgroup wrote: Mehdi do you have any plans to make it compatible with Phpbb3? I have someone who is offering $1500.00 USD for a bridge that can work with PHPBB3 for Joomla. Would you be interested? I'm sure he wouldn't mind if its released to the public.
Might want to check out what's been going on with RocketWerx. Andy is already beta testing a bridge between v 1.5 and phpBB3.

mehdi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mehdi » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:10 am

hi AmyStephen ,
Andy is already beta testing a bridge between v 1.5 and phpBB3.
Unfortunately, they don't publically  provide any beta I can test....
What they are announcing looks promising,
although I doubt they 'll be able to reach a bug free result without any hacking.
Also, their first version won't offer "visual integration".
The guy StumOutsourcing  didn't answered to my mail  :-\

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:52 am

Mehdi -

From what I've heard, Andy's on vacation for the next couple of weeks. But, it might be worthwhile, if you are interested is seeing the beta, to post into that thread. Given your experience, I am guessing Andy would welcome your involvement. (I missed the signup, too :( ).

You are right, it sounds like the first version will not be everything it will eventually be. But, I hope there won't have to be hacking since I am certain the functions provided will work. Which is likely the reason they are conservative and not doing everything at once. Easier to guarantee quality.

Thanks!
Amy :)

xveegerx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by xveegerx » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:54 pm

I keep posting in various places but so far I'm not getting any answers. :'(

I am using Joomla 1.0.13 and PhPbb 2.0.22

I tried following instructions using Mehdi's Bridge and managed to get the bridge functioning however cannot find what is wrong.

When I try to use the forum or just click on the joomla link to it, I get "You have specified an incorrect or inactive username, or an invalid password."

And the page redirects to a white page. 

Site is located at http://www.xveegerx.com/Joomla        or the phpbb      http://www.xveegerx.com/forum

Anyone know what I have done wrong or not done to finish this to get it to work?

Roaster
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Roaster » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:50 pm

xveegerx,

how did you get the wrapper running when using a link like  http://www.xveegerx.com/forum. I guess you are 'jumping' or redirecting into the wrapper, correct? Or how did you get the Joomla template around your forum?

I guess you installed Joomla into subdirectory /Joomla and the forum into subdirectory /Forum?
cu,
Michael

xveegerx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by xveegerx » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:08 pm

Roaster wrote: xveegerx,

how did you get the wrapper running when using a link like  http://www.xveegerx.com/forum. I guess you are 'jumping' or redirecting into the wrapper, correct? Or how did you get the Joomla template around your forum?

I guess you installed Joomla into subdirectory /Joomla and the forum into subdirectory /Forum?
What I did was I installed phpbb first, had it up and running then later was trying to find an image gallery, found coppermine but also found joomla which was available from my hosting service (cpanel - fantastic installs) 

I installed Joomla, found it quite confusing, then uninstalled it, then installed phpnuke, tried to use it and decided Joomla seemed more friendly.  So I uninstalled that, and installed Joomla again, so yes, my phpbb is installed as http://www.xveegerx.com/forum and Joomla is installed as http://www.xveegerx.com/Joomla

I then used Mehdi's bridge and went through as thorough as possible to get this far.  I just got a reply from Mehdi in fact and he stated to turn off the gzip on both Joomla and phpbb however I cannot access phpbb now and don't know how to do that.  I did check Joomla and it is off there.  So I do not know what to do next.

I'm sorry I also do not know what this "wrapper" is, I am totally noob here.  If you are asking about the template of the phpbb? I used the AcidTechTiger and modified it to my personal tastes. But I don't know if this is what you are asking about.

Thank you by the way, for the reply, please forgive my ignorance in this matter, but I really wish to get this working, and THEN I have the problem of trying to bridge the gallery next.  I didn't even want to attempt that until I got the phpbb working though. 

Roaster
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Roaster » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:19 pm

Hi xveegerx,

thanks for your reply. A wrapper, in Joomla context, is a module which allows you to display any external website inside Joomla. As you don't know what this term means I guess you do not use it  ;D

So, a last question still remains: how do you get your forum look like the Joomla front page? At least you have got some links on the forum front page which link to your Joomla installation. Did you code some own HTML to get this corporate layout in the forum?
cu,
Michael

xveegerx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by xveegerx » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:21 am

Ok I checked in the Joomla Administration and there is a "wrapper" listed in modules but there is a red X next to it and it is "unpublished" status.

As for the phpbb I used the AcidTechTiger template, then modified the acidtechtiger.css for my own look and feel of the pages.  The header is my own as well. 

The Joomla front page is also a template, It is from http://www.compassdesigns.net called JS Lunar Eclipse made from the Solar Flare template.

kerma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kerma » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:07 pm

Fatal error: Call to undefined function joomphpbbBindUsername() in /htdocs/wwwroot/forum/login.php on line 57

Dose anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks

Return to “phpbb - Joomla! Integration”