047 - Dutch Installation Manual

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
malarzm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

047 - Dutch Installation Manual

Post by malarzm » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:21 pm

Hi all :)

I have only one question - should I write translation in rtf, pdf or what kind of file ?

Thanks

Claimed: Nov 29 Due: Dec 12

Google Task

[me=AmyStephen]Changed subject slightly for sorting all threads to match against Google resource  :)[/me]
Last edited by AmyStephen on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

depresz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Issue 47 - Translate part of the Installation Manual to a non-English Language

Post by depresz » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:41 pm

hmmm... in my post i have this same problem...
as an user which claimed task i think that senile plain text...
Great Hacking Opportunity Project
numbers? sure! 3d 22h on forum, about 500h of work <- this is real GHOP

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Issue 47 - Translate part of the Installation Manual to a non-English Langua

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:58 pm

Hello depresz and malarzm -

Thanks for entering the contest! We would like the documentation produced using Open Office Writer.  Doing so will provide an open source, cross-platform format that others can use. Save your work as an Open Office .odt file when you submit your work.

Also, please share the language you plan to translate the work into. We will assign a mentor for you and he or she will respond in your thread.

Good luck! and Thanks for joining us!
Amy :)

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Issue 47 - Translate part of the Installation Manual to a non-English Language

Post by Marieke92 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:05 pm

They both said they translate it into Polish.
I wonder if this is aloud. In the description of the issues you can read:
"Prior to claiming this task, please review the other copies of it to ensure
that you are not doing the same translation as another participant."
I posted this also in the thread of Issue 47, but I think no-one will read that, because the issue already has a claimed status.

If this isn't aloud, following the rules, can I take the issue (and translate it into dutch)?
Otherwise, am I aloud to make a new issue, with same content, so I'll have the opportunity to translate it into the dutch language?

Marieke
Last edited by Marieke92 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetz, Marieke
Joomla! Documentation Working Group | Joomla! Bug Squad Member | Joomla! Development Working Group
1.6 Help Screen Project Leader
Joomla!Community (Dutch Community) Documentation Team leader

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Issue 47 - Translate part of the Installation Manual to a non-English Langua

Post by mcsmom » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:24 pm

We're looking into this. Will let you know shortly.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:27 pm

Thank you for being so kind to look at this 'problem'.
I'm looking forward to your response.

Marieke
Greetz, Marieke
Joomla! Documentation Working Group | Joomla! Bug Squad Member | Joomla! Development Working Group

malarzm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by malarzm » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:17 pm

That was my fault, I hadn't noticed that there's already someone translating into Polish, sorry for mistake. Task was given to someone else.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:35 pm

malarzm -

I thank you for your graciousness, and again, apologize for my mistake. Good luck with your task!

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:27 pm

Thanks a lot!

But I've a question already.. how can I open PDF files in Open Office Writer? I'm only seeing square characters when opening the file...

Marieke
Greetz, Marieke

blastfamy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by blastfamy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:53 am

.pdf(s) are a protected file type. I am not quite sure that .pdf is a supported file type of Open office.
Editing .pdf(s) is tricky (as far as I know) because .pdf is essentially a universal reduced file that can be created from virtually any source-file; the reduced file is not designed to be edited. Instead, you open it with a viewer. To edit, you need somthing that can expand the compressed file (the .pdf) to do this, you need a .pdf viewer (such as Adobe acrobat full - NOT JUST THE READER). I do not know of any free editers. You would then export the expanded .pdf to .odf

Hope this helps.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:56 am

The Installation Guide is also available online, in HTML format.

Hope that helps,

J. Ramsay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by J. Ramsay » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:05 am

Hi,

If you need a PDF converted into some other format, let me know cause I have got Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 which, generally speaking, does a reasonable job extracting the text. But as AmyStephen said, the HTML guide is available and this is probably the best source.

Cheers,
James
Zebras don't have stripes, every photo you have ever seen has been Photoshoped!

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: 047 - Translate part of the Installation Manual to a non-English Language

Post by mcsmom » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:03 pm

I think it is best to make it as Jooma! content following the structure on the help site, then you can also make a file for each of the content items.

http://help.joomla.org/content/category/48/268/302/
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:21 pm

Here's what the task says about this:
Work Product

Four files containing the complete translated text and images (whether or
not translated), carefully proof read, in a format suitable for insertion
into Joomla! content.

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:38 pm

What kind of format would be the best then?
I read in one of these topics that .odt would be the best, but you can't import that into Joomla content easily I thought..?
I'm translating in .odt files, but I can always change this later to another format of course. I can always copy and paste it into other documents with another file format if you'd like.

Is it correct that I've to be ready on friday 14th of december?

And another question: can I change some links etc. into more 'dutch-like' things?
E.g.
forum= http://forum.joomla.org, in dutch: forum = http://forum.dutchjoomla.org
And can I use the dutch translations of DutchJoomla for the screenshots etc.?

Marieke
Last edited by Marieke92 on Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetz, Marieke

depresz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by depresz » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:10 pm

while I was reading Work Product i noticed that it must to be 4 files, but look higer: minimum, you have to translate 4 distinguished sections. What if I want to translate all content of file?  I'm going to do that ;) As Amy said, I am using OpenOffice. I have this same problem what Marieke92: what about screenshots? Can I take a screenshots of official 1.5 Joomla! (pl_PL) installation?
Great Hacking Opportunity Project
numbers? sure! 3d 22h on forum, about 500h of work <- this is real GHOP

giangy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by giangy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:54 pm

AmyStephen wrote: The Installation Guide is also available online, in HTML format.

Hope that helps,
Hi Amy,

For this reason I'm translating contents by keep all the HTML tags (e.g for the System requirements page,  classes, tags and styles) so that translation will be easily added. I'll open another topic in order to update all of you about the status of the issue I claimed ;-)

Cheers,

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:21 am

Marieke92 wrote: Thanks a lot!

But I've a question already.. how can I open PDF files in Open Office Writer? I'm only seeing square characters when opening the file...

Marieke
How is the task coming, Marieke? As a reminder, it is due Dec 12. I look forward to hearing from you soon. We are here to help you be successful with your task. Do not hesitate to ask for assistance, if required.

Thanks!

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:33 pm

I'm fine.
I thought my task was claimed the 30th of November, so I've to hand it in 14th of Dececmber latest.
My .odt file has 20 pages, 16 of them already translated. All printscreens are made already.
I think I'll finish the work today or tomorrow.
I'll post it when it's ready of course, so a few days left to check everything.
I found someone who wants to check my work. She doesn't have an account at forum.joomla.org, but she's in the translation team of DutchJoomla.org (I'm also a member of this translation team).

I'v got one question I think. The license tells me I've to add it to my document. But do I also have to translate it?
http://code.google.com/p/google-highly- ... /wiki/JEDL

Marieke
Last edited by Marieke92 on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetz, Marieke

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:20 pm

Marieke92 wrote: I'm fine.
I thought my task was claimed the 30th of November, so I've to hand it in 14th of Dececmber latest.
My .odt file has 20 pages, 16 of them already translated. All printscreens are made already.
I think I'll finish the work today or tomorrow.
I'll post it when it's ready of course, so a few days left to check everything.
I found someone who wants to check my work. She doesn't have an account at forum.joomla.org, but she's in the translation team of DutchJoomla.org (I'm also a member of this translation team).

I'v got one question I think. The license tells me I've to add it to my document. But do I also have to translate it?
http://code.google.com/p/google-highly- ... /wiki/JEDL

Marieke
Marieke -

Excellent news! Very good to hear you identified a mentor on the translation team *and* that you are also a member. Thanks for that! And, I am encouraged to hear of your progress. I double-checked the claim date, and it does appear that it was on the 29th, making the task due on the 12th. We must use the date the claim was made/accepted on Google. But, it sounds like you are on track so this should not be a concern.

I appreciate you responding and updating us on your task status.

Good luck with the contest,

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:44 pm

I'll be ready the 12th then.
What about translating the license?

Marieke
Greetz, Marieke

Chris Davenport
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Chris Davenport » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:16 pm

Hi Marieke,
Marieke92 wrote: What about translating the license?
No, you don't need to translate the license itself.  Just include a reference to it from your document (the reference can be translated).  Be aware that the license is the Creative Commons one, not the JEDL.  There was an error in the task description.

Good luck with the contest!  :)

Chris.
Chris Davenport

Davenport Technology Services http://www.davenporttechnology.com/
Lion Coppice http://www.lioncoppice.org/

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

! Re: 047 - Translate part of the Installation Manual to a non-English Language

Post by Marieke92 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:46 am

And I'm ready!
But I'm not able to add the attachment(s)..
They're too big.
I made 3 files with same content, .doc, .odt and .pdf.
The .doc file is 1181 kb, zipped 760 kb.
The .odt file is 1100 kb, zipped 778 kb.
The .pdf file is 1275 kb, zipped 778 kb.
Maximum attachment size allowed is 100 kb...
What to do?..

It already has been checked by the one from the translation team of dutchjoomla.org.

Do I have to post it at the GHOP site?

Marieke
Last edited by Marieke92 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetz, Marieke

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:01 pm

You can download a .zip containing the 3 files from here:
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/tuinjw ... ng_1.5.zip
Greetz, Marieke

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: ! Re: 047 - Translate part of the Installation Manual to a non-English Langu

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:29 pm

Marieke92 wrote: It already has been checked by the one from the translation team of dutchjoomla.org.

Do I have to post it at the GHOP site?
Yea! Congratulations to you! And how cool that you have made the Installation Guide available in Dutch!

Yes, please post your completed document at Google. I will mark this thread "Solved." When we are notified that your final document has been uploaded to Google, we will close the task at that location/ At that point, you are free to choose another task (if you want).

It would be great if whomever you were working with at DutchJoomla.org would be willing to come to the Joomla! forums and share an evaluation of your task here, in this thread. That would be very helpful to us and much appreciated.

Thanks for your very important contributions to the Joomla! community!

MarijkeS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: ! Re: 047 - Translate part of the Installation Manual to a non-English Langu

Post by MarijkeS » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:38 am

AmyStephen wrote:
It would be great if whomever you were working with at DutchJoomla.org would be willing to come to the Joomla! forums and share an evaluation of your task here, in this thread. That would be very helpful to us and much appreciated.
As a coordinator of the Dutchjoomla.org translationteam I supported Marieke on her task and checked  her translations. An easy job for me because Marieke knows  a lot about joomla version 1.5 and did not only translate but also made the Installation Guide understandable for the Dutch Joomla Community. It's a big pleasure to see with how much enthusiasm she worked on this task. Even astonishing regarding she's only 15 years old.

At Dutchjoomla.org we are planning to have a good documentation section on 1.5 for our Dutch Community and this is surely a contribution we are going to use. Yes we're also happy that Marieke is a teammember and are enjoying her contributions. She's a very valuable member and much promissing for the future of our team.
Coordinator Translationteam JoomlaCommunity.eu | Member Dutch Translation Team - http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/nederlands/l
Joomla! Translation Coordination Team

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: 047 - Dutch Installation Manual

Post by Marieke92 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:40 pm

Added a new version; with new screenshots because of the Stable release. Also made some slight changes to the text.

http://code.google.com/p/google-highly- ... tail?id=47
Greetz, Marieke

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:23 pm

Marieke -

That was good timing! You are my my list of contestants I need to talk to about their tasks.

One of the requirements is that links, text, images in the documentation point to official joomla.org sites.

We have been very consistent in this requirement. There are numerous places in this board were I had to ask for links and business names and site references to be removed. The latest example of this was the "What is Joomla!?" brochure where I asked to have a link to JoomlaPlace.org - which is a site that has no names on it and it is very helpful for the purpose proposed, but, it's not official. In case anyone thinks I might be singling them out -- JoomlaPlace.org is my site. ;)

In reviewing some of the documents, we noticed that the Installation Guide has links to and pictures of the DutchJoomla site. I am so sorry we did not notice this earlier since that is not an official Joomla.org site. If you could please look through these documents and replace the images and text to point to Joomla.org downloads, it would be very much appreciated. If you prefer to have references with the Dutch language, then the Dutch Official Translation Partner site can also be used.

If there are any questions on this, from anyone, please feel free to respond in this thread. We are in the process of reviewing all material again for this requirement. Again, my sincere apologies for this! We have been overwhelmed and should have done a better job ensuring the judging requirements were met.

Marieke - I feel as though I personally let you down by not catching this earlier. I am also so very, very thankful that we caught it in time. Thank you kindly for your understanding of this.

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi Amy,

I'm very sorry about that. I didn't knew these rules, but do understand them.
I just modified the text at some parts. Already changed some screenshots.
Later on today I will post the new version.
Thanks for letting me now.

Marieke
Greetz, Marieke

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”