010 - Create a Joomla! 1.5 module listing all of the items in a given category

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
fealebenpae
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

010 - Create a Joomla! 1.5 module listing all of the items in a given category

Post by fealebenpae » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:55 pm

Hey guys, my name is Yavor, I live in Bulgaria and I claimed this issue:
Create a Joomla! 1.5 module listing all of the items in a given category
Description

Content in Joomla! is organized into sections, categories and then articles.

The core of Joomla! 1.5 includes a module (sections) that lists and links
to each of the sections.

For this task you will create a module that lists and links to the
categories in each section.

The user should be able to pick a section and to select the type of links
(list or blog) that will be made to the categories.
Licensing

All code must be created using the GNU General Public License version 2.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-license ... .html#SEC4
Skills Needed

Familiarity with Joomla! content structure and Joomla! modules

Knowledge of MySQL

Knowledge of php
Difficulty

Advanced
Work Product

A ready to install module package.
Extra Credit (optional)

Register your project at joomlacode.org and load your files there.

Submit your final version to the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Respond to feedback from users.

Document your experience developing the module with a post in the Joomla!
101 forum.
Time Limit

4 Weeks
I've got the application logic all right, and even built an installable package. But what bugs me is that on a fresh RC3 installation with sample content loaded, some categories just plain refuse to display themselves with a blog layout (courtesy of attaching a "layout=blog" to the url) but if I create a menu entry for a blog view of that same category, it works. I'm studying the new com_content for a clue. I'll be uploading the code to Joomlacode the day after tomorrow, as tomorrow is SAT day.

P.S. It's great to be able to contribute to such a fantastic community!

[me=AmyStephen]Changed subject slightly for sorting all threads to match against Google resource  :)[/me]

Google Code Link

Task claimed: Nov 28 Due: Dec 26
Last edited by AmyStephen on Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
And it came to pass that in that time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

kdevine
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: 010 - Create a Joomla! 1.5 module listing all of the items in a given catego

Post by kdevine » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:01 am

Yavor, when a menu item is created there are parameters available to define the layout of the page. So, when you try to dynamically build a URL in the module with a blog layout it is not loading the page parameters that a menu item would - there is no Itemid in the URL. Try working with the latest version of 1.5 from the SVN. It looks like this problem has been fixed by setting default parameters to give the blog layout even if the page is not loaded from a menu item.

fealebenpae
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: 010 - Create a Joomla! 1.5 module listing all of the items in a given catego

Post by fealebenpae » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:02 pm

I just tested the module against the latest nightly build and it works like a charm. Thanks a stack for the suggestion. I've always been plagued by those pesky Itemids :)
And it came to pass that in that time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

kdevine
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kdevine » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:15 pm

Good, glad it worked for you. If you have something complete you can post it here for comments before submitting it for review. If you are uploading to joomlacode just post a link to it here.

fealebenpae
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by fealebenpae » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:25 pm

Yeah, I've got a release  on joomlacode: http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsre ... gories.zip

I'm open to suggestions and such. I think it works ok, although I should investigate into caching as my current number of SQL queries is anything but desirable.

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by willebil » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:52 pm

I have taken a close look to this results (looks already pretty good), the following comments:

- I was not able to install the package using the installer (latest trunk). Installed it manually (file copy + database module added).
- The code files miss a proper header containing the license information. Check the Joomla!code for a proper example.
- You can use more comments and use docbook markups for more easy documentation later on.
- Module class suffix is missing in the module properties, add it.

Additional bonus things you can consider incorporating in this module:
- Order option (check latestnews module for example)
- Caching support (see also latestnews)

fealebenpae
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by fealebenpae » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:01 pm

Thanks for your reply.

The package installed fine for me both on RC3 and the Nightly, although I used the FTP layer on the nightly and in both cases it threw chmod hiccups but that's because of my setup. I'd be very grateful if you can provide me with a specific error message so I can delve deeper into the issue.

I checked out the code examples and I've implemented the necessary headers, I think. It's all in SVN. I'll start commenting the code as soon as I'm happy with the functionality of the code.

The module class suffix shows up fine in properties for me, although I had to fix the code for it to be used. It's even in the XML, which I adapted from mod_latestnews.

Right now I'm using the DB ordering for each section/category, but I can add an option to sort them by newest articles.

I can implement caching by hand with JCache, but my test on RC3 shows that the module is successfully cached when caching is enabled in the global configuration. Caching seems to be broken in my Nightly, as it does now allow me to use the file method for caching, but that may be because of JFTP.

All right, I'll get to work.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:10 pm

Wow you already have 9 downloads!
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

kdevine
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kdevine » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:27 pm

The code looks good. I have just a few comments.

1. I was able to install the module, however, I was not able to create an instance of it in the module manager. I'm using the latest build from SVN and I guess something changed since RC3 because the hyphen you have in the module name is causing errors.

2. I would like to see you format your sql string like this...

Code: Select all

$sec_query = 'SELECT id, title'
			. ' FROM #__sections'
			. ' WHERE published = 1'
			. ' AND access <= ' .(int) $aid
			. ($secid ? $secCondition : '')
			. ' ORDER BY ordering ASC'
			;
I think it makes it easier for other developers to read it later.

3. Caching for this module worked fine.

4. I would like to see the paramters more clearly defined. The count option is a little misleading, heck is it even necessary?

I would prefer an option to choose how to link to the categories rather than getting both links (blog and list), an option to link the category titles or use a read more link, maybe a parameter to display the category description, or the number of articles like the section layout of the  content component. I realize that is a tall order - any of those would definitely be a bonus. The module is nice as it is. Just fix the problem with the name, clean up the files a bit with comments and such as Wilco says, reformat the queries, better parameter descriptions and you're set.

kdevine
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kdevine » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:35 pm

The module class suffix shows up fine in properties for me, although I had to fix the code for it to be used. It's even in the XML, which I adapted from mod_latestnews.
Yes, moduleclass_sfx worked in my tests.

fealebenpae
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by fealebenpae » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:16 pm

I think I'm pretty much done with the basic stuff. Everything's working as I want it to. Based on your suggestions I let the site admin decide what the link layout will be and added an option to display the description and number of articles for each section and category. I left the Category names be links as having a separate Read More link would be cumbersome, now that there is only one type of link at any time.

I moved the release on Joomlacode to stable and I uploaded the package to the Extensions Directory. Let's see what the general public has to say.

Thanks for your help, guys :)

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:05 pm

Yavor,

One suggestion would be to use the pop up to select the section rather than asking the user to supply the number. You should be able to find how to do that in latestnews.

Other than that, worked like a charm.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

fealebenpae
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by fealebenpae » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:02 pm

@mcsmom,

Which version of latestnews has the pop up option? I'm using the October 5th Nightly and all I have is a plain text field to enter the ids. I tried changing the param type to section, but that only allows me to select one section at a time. I checked the SVN repo for mod_latestnews and the xml is the same as the one I have. Where exactly can I find a pop up example?

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:35 pm

Oh, you're right. I was thinking of the pop up that is used  when you link to articles. I do think you could use that but it would really put your module ahead of the core modules!  I would be lovely not to have to get the numbers manually though.

fealebenpae
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by fealebenpae » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:55 pm

Well, I can probably extend JElement to reach the desired effect, but the changes will have to be included in the core files, but other modules will be able to benefit from it, which is a plus. I'll post a patch when I'm done.

EDIT: I managed to use a multiple selection box for the Sections, but there's a snag. Aside from having to add another JElement, I had to write a small hack for admin/com_modules' controller in order to have it parse the array data correctly. I'm attaching a package with the new module package, as well as the new Sectionlist JElement.

Here's the hack for com_modules' controller:

$params = array();
foreach($post['params'] as $param => $v) {
if(is_array($v)) {
$v = implode(',', $v);
}
$params[$param] = $v;
}
$post['params'] = $params;

It should go right after $post = JRequest::get( 'post' ); which is around line 260 for me.

If it's ok and not an overkill, I can submit a patch for this on the developer board.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fealebenpae on Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fealebenpae
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by fealebenpae » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:46 pm

Where can I get information about internationalization and localization? I understand I have to go through JText and JLanguage to handle the translations, but I can't figure out how to load the language ini file or at least somehow indicate it in the xml file, as most of the strings I'll be translation are in the xml file.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:05 am

1. Add this section to your mod_ghop_categories.xml file.

language/en-GB/en-GB.mod_ghop_categories.ini
2. Markup your XML for parameters. For example, look at the XML file for the core modules. You will see string literals like this example from mod_breadcrumbs:
3. Create your Language ini file: Look in the language/en-GB/en-GB.mod_breadcrumbs.ini file (which you will create as en-GB.mod_ghop_categories.ini)
PARAMSHOWHOME=Show/Hide the Home element in the Pathway
See if that makes sense. Already, you have accomplished remarkable achievements. This will be a popular module. You created a hack to the core - and plan to deliver it as a patch. Now, you are preparing for an International implementation. You are doing great work.

Hope you are having fun!
Amy :)

fealebenpae
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by fealebenpae » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:38 pm

I implemented internationalization and I added language files for English and Bulgarian. The final release is on joomlacode. Also, I posted the patch I devised for the Section and Category JElements on the dev board

I can't think of anything else to add or do, so I'm calling for a final review.

@AmyStephen

Yeah, I'm having lots of fun working with the new framework. It's really powerful - I feel constrained working with Sunfire, but Khepri gives me a lot of flexibility and opportunities to do the things I want in a lot less code ^^

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:10 pm

If the Element is specific to your module, it should not be part of the core, rather it should be installed with the module and the folder specified using the addParamPath attribute in your XML.  If you need more info on this, let me know.  I thought I had posted about this, but I can't find it right now.

Ian

fealebenpae
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by fealebenpae » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:33 pm

I ended up modifying the original JElement, rather than create a carbon copy of the old one and modify two lines in it. But in order for the JElement to work properly, there is a patch that needs to be applied to controller.php in administrator/com_modules, otherwise the controller does not handle the post data from the element correctly. I think that making the Section and Category JElements into multiple selction boxes rather than the drop-down kind is better, usability-wise. It's all in the thread I started on the dev board.

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:19 am

Hey!

Can you test again on the latest SVN?  The multiple values should be handled automatically already.  This functionality is built into JRegistry.  This was fixed after RC3.  Can you please check to make sure this is the case?

Also, it is too late at this point to add the functionality to the JElements in the core, so it is recommended that you create new elements for your module.  This may get updated for 1.6.

Thanks,
Ian

fealebenpae
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by fealebenpae » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:59 pm

Thanks for your reply, Ian, but still no joy.

The way PHP handles multiple select boxes in forms causes the $_POST array to be multidimensional - e.g. $_POST['select_box'] is also an array and I had to modify com_modules/controller.php's save function to check whether $_POST is a two-dimensional array and convert the second dimension to a string for database storage.

That way it's impossible for me to create a JElement with such functionality, unless I employ heavy JS and hidden form fields acrobatics and frankly, I think it's too much of an overkill.

I've uploaded a modified version of the module with a simple text parameter for the sections and I think I'll leave it at that. I'm still waiting for a final review notice.

Module link

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:06 pm

Yavor -

It appeared you were still working with others on the patch/no patch issue so I was holding off on the Final Review until the code was final. I think there is interest in your approach - just poor timing, given the fact the devs are trying to stabilize the code and stop changes in order to bring this to final.  The method you used (text box) is the method in use for other modules. Not as slick as what you had planned but certainly inline with other work.

I will take a look and try to get someone else to review so that we can quickly complete this task, in case you want to work on another.

Thanks for your work - be in touch soon,

FINAL REVIEW - Please provide your feedback.

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:20 pm

Hey...

Yeah, I understand the problem.  But that should be handled already.

You'll see the code in the controller:
if (!$row->bind( $post, 'selections' )) {

If you look at the bind method, you see:

if (is_array( $array['params'] )) 

{

$registry = new JRegistry();

$registry->loadArray($array['params']);

$array['params'] = $registry->toString();

}

The key here is $registry->toString().  If no parameters are applied, it converts it to ini format, so we have to look at JRegistryFormatINI to see how it handles arrays in the values.  We see:

elseif (is_array($level1))
			{
				foreach($level1 as $level1key=>$level2) {
					foreach ($level2 as $k1 => $v1)
					{
						$level2[$k1] = str_replace( array( "\r\n", "\n" ), '\\n', $v1 );
					}
					$level1[$level1key] = implode('|', $level2);
				}
				$prepend	.= $key."=".implode("\\n", $level1); //implode('|', $level1)."\n";
			}
If we look at larger context in this file, we see that if we have an element in our post array that is an array, then it gets parsed and imploded, so you should get something like:
params[section]=12|13|14|15

That way in your module you should just have to decode this string properly.

If you can try implementing using this it would be great.

Ian

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm

Yavor -

I took a look and have a few comments/questions.

1. Internationalization is not complete. I wonder if you forgot to go back after adding parameters? Your labels, descriptions, values can all be defined as language strings. (I don't think advanced parameters has been done?)

2. Consider pulling pull the style tags completely out of the module and add a CSS file for these: style="left: 7px; position: relative;"

3. How do the "blog" or "table" parameters come into play?

Thanks for your contributions, when complete, this will be a useful module for many!

fealebenpae
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by fealebenpae » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:09 pm

Thanks for your help, Ian.

I understand now why I got some '\n' strings in the module parameters in database. I opened up JRegistryFormatINI and tried the good old die() debug. Here is what I found:

elseif (is_array($level1))
{
	die(print_r($level1));
outputs:

Array ( [0] => 4 [1] => 3 [2] => 1 ) 1
So it identifies the array alright, although I can't fathom where does the 1 outside the brackets come from.

But if I do this:

$prepend .= $key."=".implode("\\n", $level1); //implode('|', $level1)."\n";
die(print_r($prepend));
I get:

moduleclass_sfx= layout=blog details=0 secid=\n\n1
Which is obviously not what I want.

This is on SVN 9490. I'm not sure, I might be doing something wrong, or overlooking something, but from what you tell me and from what I've learned the system should follow these steps:
  • controller->save()
  • $row->bind()
  • $registry->toString()
So basically it's down to this: array goes in, string comes out. But somewhere in the middle something happens and a string doesn't come out.
I'll focus on Amy's suggestions for now and come back to this later.

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:00 pm

okay...  I will take a look at this to see what is happening...  I'll get back to you.  My debugger is down right now :(

If you leave it as a text for now we'll get it worked out later.

Ian

fealebenpae
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by fealebenpae » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:32 pm

AmyStephen wrote: 1. Internationalization is not complete. I wonder if you forgot to go back after adding parameters? Your labels, descriptions, values can all be defined as language strings. (I don't think advanced parameters has been done?)
I fixed that, everything should be ok now. With all the messing and whatnot in the xml I must've mixed up the different versions somehow. Funny thing is that the Language Debug identified my strings as not hard-coded.
&mp;quot;AmyStephen"\ wrote: 2. Consider pulling pull the style tags completely out of the module and add a CSS file for these: style="left: 7px; position: relative;"
Fixed
&mp;quot;AmyStephen"\ wrote: 3. How do the "blog" or "table" parameters come into play?
I let the user, as per kdevine's suggestion, choose whether the module builds links for table or blog layouts, as opposed to having links for both, which clutters the view unnecessarily.

Thanks for the input, AmyStephen, it's been really helpful :) I uploaded the fixed package to joomlacode. Let me know if there's anything else I need to do.

@Ian
Thanks for your time and help, I really appreciate it!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:20 am

This is a very interesting module because one thing that people continuously ask for is section drill-downs into categories. When I look at it, it's easy to see this thing explode into a category as another view.

Having said that - I would make one other change - and that is to make the categories a list, just like menu items, so that it can be styled the same way.

This holds promise. Good job! We'll try to get a bit more feedback from others but this is getting very close, I think.

Thanks for your contributions to our community!

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”