056 - Create a short (ideally one page) document that explains how to create a

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
brianfast
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

056 - Create a short (ideally one page) document that explains how to create a

Post by brianfast » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:12 pm

Hi I am Brian, sophomore in Oregon. I have to write a procedure that a webmaster would be able to give an end user (with author privileges) on how to create an article. I could use some proof reading and advice on how to indicate an optional step.

Claimed Nov 28 Due Dec 12

Google Post
[me=AmyStephen]Changed subject slightly for sorting all threads to match against Google resource  :)[/me]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AmyStephen on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: 56 - Create a short (ideally one page) document that explains how to create

Post by jlleblanc » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:39 am

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the contest! Your document looks pretty good so far. Be sure to capitalize "URL."

You might be able to write it in such a way where you step through all of the mandatory fields (including the article text) on through saving. After that, you might be able to summarize some of the optional fields in paragraph form.

You might also want to include a picture of the login form.
Joseph L. LeBlanc: http://www.jlleblanc.com
Frontend components start here: /components/com_[name]/[name].php
Backend components start here: /administrator/components/com_[name]/admin.[name].php

brianfast
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 056 - Create a short (ideally one page) document that explains how to create

Post by brianfast » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:06 pm

Here is what I have so far. Please tell me if it is complete (I have nothing to lose right?):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: 056 - Create a short (ideally one page) document that explains how to create

Post by trombonechamp » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:27 pm

It looks like a good start.

I think you may want to vary your sentence beginnings, because several of them seem to start with "Add" or "Select".  It would also be helpful to have a larger picture than just the button, so people reading it can tell where it is in relation to the rest of the page.  It would be nice to have a picture for every step instead of just some of them.

Good luck!  :)
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

brianfast
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brianfast » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:45 pm

here is a version with some improvements.

Due to the forums attachment size limit it is at a foreign host:

http://www.fileden.com/files/13/createarticletres.pdf

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:25 am

Pretty straight-forward, easy to understand. There could be more details added (for example, more explanation on how to insert the image or what the read more looks like with the dotted line, etc.)

When you are ready for another review (or the final review) please let us know!
Amy :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:35 am

Brian -

Please let us know your task status. As a reminder, this is due on Dec 12. So, if you have something for us to review or if there is anything we can do to help, do not hesitate to ask.

Look forward to hearing from you soon,

Thanks,

brianfast
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 056 - Create a short (ideally one page) document that explains how to create a

Post by brianfast » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:03 am

Hi, I have a physics test tomarrow and paper due each of the following 2 days. I have only made minor changes since my last post. Please tell me if this is good enough for final review ASAP because I may have problems finding time to make major improvements.

http://www.fileden.com/files/13/createarticletres.odt

If this isn't good enough please be as specific as possible.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:53 pm

OK, Brian. It looks good - it's a little on the light side, but that might be the appropriate way for this type of end user.

I think it's complete. We need a second judge to concur.

Good luck with your exam and projects! Thank you for your contribution to the Joomla! community,

FINAL REVIEW NEEDED

Chris Davenport
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Chris Davenport » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:44 pm

Hi Brian,

I'm seeing a full blank page before the final screenshot.  Also "Sumbit" instead of "Submit".

Apart from that, if you feel you have done as much as you can with it, then please post the final version to the Google issue tracker and we'll mark it as closed so you can move on to claim another task if you wish.

Good luck with your exams!

Chris.
Chris Davenport

Davenport Technology Services http://www.davenporttechnology.com/
Lion Coppice http://www.lioncoppice.org/

brianfast
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 056 - Create a short (ideally one page) document that explains how to create a

Post by brianfast » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:42 pm

Chris, I think you need to update openoffice or something, I am not seeing that page. I posted it on the google tracker.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:17 am

Brian did make the correction you found, Chris. ("Sumbit" instead of "Submit".)

I am not seeing a blank page, either, although I am bothered by the fact that you are. I wonder if this is a Linux and Windows issue?

Chris - I will mark this closed, as per your recommendation.

Brian - thank you for your contributions to the Joomla! community!

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”