Joomla VS SharePoint

General questions relating to Joomla! There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Liams7
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joomla VS SharePoint

Post by Liams7 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:02 am

Hey guys

I just went to the it people at work and asked to set up a joomla website they said no because they weren't sure if it meets the highstandards of the company *Sigh* (Seriously this place sucks eggs) Any way i said well what can i do then. They said MS sharepoint. Now i have no idea what this is or how it works all i can find is bits and peices no screen shots ETC what is it any ideas? Is it any good? Can it do what joomla does?

All i really want is to turn some Word documents in to a website. May seem all a bit complicated to do this but i know what i want to do and just wandering if share point is any good?

vkha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Joomla VS SharePoint

Post by vkha » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:58 am

I use SharePoint (MOSS2007) and would like also to know how joomla could be compared to it.
Joomla gurus: how to assign tags to articles, wiki, blogs, forum topics in a unified way?..
I found Joomla by searching for the best alternative to the mambo

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ranwilli » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:00 am

Comparing Joomla to Sharepoint doesn't work very well because they are and do different things!
Don't HACK the Joomla! core, Instead "Extend" and/or "Override."
Stay ON the update path.
https://harpervance.com

vkha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vkha » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:04 am

wow, rocket answer!
ranwilli wrote: Comparing Joomla to Sharepoint doesn't work very well because they are and do different things!
well, they both pretend to be CMS. There should be some overlap to discuss.

In particular, it would be interesting to learn if joomla allows to create "lists" (database tables) and use user-friendly forms to work with records on those lists. i.e., is there any friendly UI-frontend to the generic databases?
Joomla gurus: how to assign tags to articles, wiki, blogs, forum topics in a unified way?..

dattard
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by dattard » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:49 pm

A small subset of SharePoint is about publishing, however SharePoint is way way way more than just a CMS.

SharePoint is an application framework, Joomla is a CMS. Although there is some slight overlap in what can be done, they are completely different beasts.

Having said that, I'd prefer having Joomla as my CMS. There are a million components which allows me to create a fully fledged website without having to touch a line of code. Out of the box SharePoint (web publishing feature) is quite limited, and the licence costs to expose it to the Internet are astronomical, whilst with Joomla most stuff is free, or otherwise, very good value.

I could go on and on. I work with both (SharePoint fulltime, Joomla part-time), both have their strengths and weaknesses, however they are for completely different markets. I'd say SharePoint's strength is good for Intranets, Internal Portals, knowledge sharing etc. Joomla's strenght is a great CMS.

If you have more specific questions go ahead and ask.
https://www.collectiveray.com - We make Joomla and WordPress Easy: Tutorials, Tips and Tricks, Lots of Free Modules incl. Easy Paypal, Popin Window, Random Flash, Google AdSense, Slide Menu (dropdown), 2CO / Paypal payment, [youtube] module, and more!

vkha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vkha » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:40 pm

hi dattard, great to have your answers here, thanks.

well, and what about some simplistic user-friendly front-end to a database? (similar to SP's lists)

dattard
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by dattard » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:42 pm

I'm sure there should be a component out there which does something similar. If you don't, tell me and I'll defintely undertake the task to do the job myself ;)
https://www.collectiveray.com - We make Joomla and WordPress Easy: Tutorials, Tips and Tricks, Lots of Free Modules incl. Easy Paypal, Popin Window, Random Flash, Google AdSense, Slide Menu (dropdown), 2CO / Paypal payment, [youtube] module, and more!

vkha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vkha » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:48 pm

unbelievable community...  I'm positively shocked ???

:pop

dattard
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by dattard » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:50 pm

Obviously, to build something like that would take quite some time and effort ;)

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:50 pm

dattard wrote: I'm sure there should be a component out there which does something similar. If you don't, tell me and I'll defintely undertake the task to do the job myself ;)
THAT my friend is a very, very dangerous remark ;)  Can I take you on to that?  :P
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

dattard
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by dattard » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:50 pm

leolam wrote:
dattard wrote: I'm sure there should be a component out there which does something similar. If you don't, tell me and I'll defintely undertake the task to do the job myself ;)
THAT my friend is a very, very dangerous remark ;)  Can I take you on to that?  :P
Seems like at last I found a component which would be useful to many people and which still doesn't exist. I'll definetely start working hard on it ...

vkha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vkha » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:26 pm

dattard wrote:
Seems like at last I found a component which would be useful to many people and which still doesn't exist. I'll definetely start working hard on it ...
anything new?

dattard
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by dattard » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:34 pm

Too many ideas ... too little time. No new news :(

vkha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vkha » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:45 pm

and still no plugin like this :(

i would be happy to skip SP and use some free software for simple management of the the simple databases

pvo01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pvo01 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:43 pm

interesting enough, thanks for the tips.
my question is , is there a way to migrage stuffs from Joomla to to SharePoint? in my opinion, I don't think there is a way really, since they are two totally diffrent enviroment.
however, someone out there maight propertly know a way to work around or something.

Thanks for your advice,

Regards,

Phi
phi

insupport
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by insupport » Thu May 06, 2010 12:51 am

You can use LDAP to manage the users in SharePoint Active Directory, and Joomla. If you can keep some kind of single sign on, that would be some level of integration.

Return to “General Questions - 1.0.x”