The Joomla! Forum ™

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:15 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

I just installed Joomla 1.5 (RC3) for the first time (newbie using XAMPP) with the excellent guidance of the Joomla! 1.5 Installation Manual. Piece of cake this way  :-)

I do have two minor suggestions:
- On http://help.joomla.org/content/view/1947/302/1/8/ Page 9 of 9 (Web Browser Installation) it might be nice to state where the administrative part is located (how to open admin Back-end), e.g. http://www.mydomain.com/administrator . I could not find it at first when I started with the "take a look at the site" option (yes, newbie problem, but solved).
- On http://help.joomla.org/content/view/1944/302/1/2/ Page 3 of 7 - Upload the files to the Web server, it says that the Installation directory is not needed and it can be deleted (in step 3). There is a but (I think): in step 2 the joomla.sql file was changed and this is still located in the installation/sql/mysql directory. It might be something to state that this joomla.sql must be saved in a convenient location other than the installation dir, or that the installation dir can only be removed if this file has been used in step 4.

For the rest:
Very nice lay-out, clear blocks with tips and extra info, nice to read. A thank you to the writer(s)!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:45 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

When first installing via brower method .
The route i took was to first install appache , php amd mysql with XAMPP .. easy and clean.
then used the browser method to install Joomla.
All proceeded without a hitch .. save one v minor step which could have been explained a little better

My browser opened up asking me to delete the installation directory and then refresh.
I had to go back to the last page (page7) of the manual intallation instructions to figure out where the installation directory was located.
Call me stupid. :) .. but an extra sentence here like ..

"please delete the installation directory (located as a sub directory in the main joomla directory)... " or something like that.
anyway ... as the thread implies ...a minor suggestion.
Thanks for a completely hassle free instalation .. right out of the box. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:07 pm 
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Thanks very much for taking the time to post this suggestion. I totally agree, and will try to get this changed. Mark