069 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "The Joomla! Project"

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

069 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "The Joomla! Project"

Post by tj.ferrell » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:19 am

Hello! My name is TJ Ferrell and i have claimed the task of creating a tri-fold brochure about how the Joomla! project is organized. I am supposed to talk about the core team as well as explaining about open source matters, and defining the working group. And finally i am to enplane how others can get involved. As i look over my outlines i would love to hear personal views on any matter of my project. For example, if any members of the core team reads this i would like to hear your opinion of what you do and how you feel you contribute. I wold also like to hear from any member of any part of this project. I am also a little confused as how to license my final document, i have never licensed any document i have ever done, any help on how to do this would be appreciated.

About me: I am a Junior at a Academy of the Canyons in Valencia California (They blew up my starbucks on 24). I have only recently started learning how to program by taking a C programing class at my college. I love computers, love tampering with things (web design, computers, crashing windows). I am probably one of the most bazaar teenagers you will meet, i cook ( i love food), i clean (wish i didn't), and don't drive (fast things scare me).

Claimed: Nov 30 Due: Dec 14 Corrected.

Google Task

[me=AmyStephen]Changed subject slightly for sorting all threads to match against Google resource  :)[/me]
Last edited by AmyStephen on Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 069 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "The Joomla! Project"

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:12 am

GHOP Contestants Please Read: Task Process Start to Finish for important updates on the contest.

Welcome TJ Ferrell - good luck with the contest.

Amy :)

DanBollinger
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DanBollinger » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:40 pm

You might want to read my pamphlet design concepts at: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... msg1100105

There are logos and logo style sheets at: http://www.joomla.org/content/view/259/70/

Chris Davenport
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Chris Davenport » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:03 pm

Hi TJ,
tj.ferrell wrote: I am also a little confused as how to license my final document, i have never licensed any document i have ever done, any help on how to do this would be appreciated.
As the author of a document you hold the "copyright" to it, which basically means that you get to decide who does what with it.  If you give someone permission to use the document in some way then you are granting them a license.  The terms of the license will specify exactly what the licensee can and cannot do with the document.

Now, we are requiring most documents entered in to the Contest to be licensed using our new Joomla! Electronic Documentation License.  The reason for this is that we are an open source project and we want to ensure that the documentation for the project has the same kind of guarantee of freedom that the code itself enjoys.

For this task all you need to do is add a short statement like maybe "This document is subject to the Joomla! Electronic Documentation License."  It doesn't need to appear on every page; at the end of the last page is good.  You can also include a copyright notice if you like but that isn't essential as the document copyright is automatically yours anyway.

Good luck with the Contest!
Chris.
Chris Davenport

Davenport Technology Services http://www.davenporttechnology.com/
Lion Coppice http://www.lioncoppice.org/

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:38 am

Thanks for the advice on the licensing. I am still a little confused as what suggestions are on that link left by DanBollinger. Also is it OK that i am not a mastermind graphics design person, i do more 3d modeling with blender than design with gimp or inkscape. Thats just not one of my strong points. It will look nice and be well organized but it wont have any crazy visual effects.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:43 am

tj.ferrell wrote: It will look nice and be well organized but it wont have any crazy visual effects.
Perfect.  8) This task is all about communication. Good luck!

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:35 pm

OK i think i am ready for a final review below is the file
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:36 pm

I would appreciate community members reviewing and providing feedback on this tri-fold.

Later today, I'll try to find time to provide feedback, as well.

Thanks so much for your contributions to our community!

DanBollinger
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DanBollinger » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:06 pm

TJ,  This is the first I've seen this pamphlet so here goes. Use what you can, lose the rest. I'm not sure about the wide, white margins, they don't help the composition and they constrict typography space, plus, your laser printer will add its margins, too, making this matter worse.

The hairline green borders might close up. Black has a way of expanding. Make the borders wider.

Concerning the section headings, are they all the same typeface?  Double check. Ab(o)ut Us is misspelled.

All your body copy is centered. This is difficult to read, make it flush left-ragged right or justified. It's OK to hypenate to assist copy fitting. NEVER center bullet point lists. Ugh!

I'd like to see more color. Why not put the section headings in an Extra Bold typeface and use the Joomla! logo colors? Consider using the same typeface you introduced on the front page for the subtitle.

Good luck, Dan

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:57 am

Than you Dan. The things you pointed out did help. I will retract my request for final review and just ask the community to review it. It was probably a little arrogant of me to expect perfection first time :D. In this version i moved to open office draw, and fixed the border issue, the line with, i changed the headings to bold and colored some of the titles (i felt it ruined some), spelling errors, and realigned most of the text. Any other ideas on how to make it better would be appreciated, if i don't hear any other replies i will probably submit this version for a final review. ;)

ps. i just called the file Joomla final because i have multiple joomla drafts
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tj.ferrell on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:00 am

too everyone who did not have a email i could send to Thanks for all the support you have, and continue to give! ;D

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:05 pm

tj -

This is a tough task and I think we need to backtrack and work on message. Describing organizations is always tricky. Describing an open source project is next to impossible. So, I appreciate your patience on this task; it's really important and will be so very helpful.

The Joomla! project involves the Joomla! core team, Joomla! working groups and the OSM. But, OSM is actually a part of the Foundation working group.

Here's what I think. For now, let's stay away from the tri-fold design, itself, and focus exclusively on content. Here's a plan you might consider. If you follow this, feel free to provide feedback each step of the way so that we can help you deliver results that will be very helpful to the community.

1. What is Joomla!?

What is Joomla! Output: A short two-three sentence paragraph. This is the purpose of the organization and should be mentioned.

2. What is the Joomla! Core Team?

About us Output: Four or five bullets of what the core team does.

Core team profiles Output: The name of each core team member and the working groups they are responsible for/belong to.

3. What are the Joomla! Working Groups?

Short description Output: A two-three sentence that answers the question "What is a Joomla! Working Group?"

Study the Joomla! working groups page. Identify each working group. Look back at the core team. Who oversees which groups. Look at each working group page (links on that page). Check out their forum areas and see what types of things they talk about; what work are they doing?

Output - List of Working Groups; names of core team members who provide WG oversight; list of four or five things each group does.

4. How does the core team and working groups interact?

There is an outdated graphic on the Joomla! working groups page that shows structure.

Output: Consider making a new graphic with today's working groups on it.

5. How can community members contribute?

Output: List of ways to get involved: help in the forums, contribute documentation, contribute $ (banner at top of page), join a Joomla! User Group, attend a Joomla! Day event.

6. How to stay in involved with what is going on.

A. Read the Frontpage announcements Look at the titles of 20-30. What types of information are shared with the community?  Output: 2-3 bullets; mention they can subscribe to announcements http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/board,8.0.html

B. Read the Core team blogs What types of things do they communicate to the community? What types of things do they ask of the community? Output: 2-3 bullets; mention they can subscribe to announcements (Feedburner on that page)

C. Read the Community news - RSS Feed

Don't be afraid - it's going to be fun and I won't leave you! Feel free to do a little bit, let us look at it, do a little more. Thanks!

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:07 am

Thank you for your feedback. I was thinking it was going to be easer ;D, i didn't think it would be this much of a challenge. I love a bigger challenge  ;D i am working on it as i post! However i have one little question the task says i am to talk about Open Source Matters, from what i get you just want me to mention it on the foundation working group, right :-\? i will have the new research up for community input hopefully by the end of tomorrow. Thanks again! :pop
Last edited by tj.ferrell on Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:42 am

When more of the content starts to come together, we'll get some feedback from the core and OSM members. See how it should be presented.  You are doing great - glad you love a challenge! 8)

This is a foundation document - it will be valuable when you are done. We need this one.

Thanks!

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:58 am

I will do my best+ ;D i'm glad i can finaly help an open source program! :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:09 am

tj.ferrell wrote: I will do my best+ ;D i'm glad i can finaly help an open source program! :)
We're glad you are, too!  8)

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:56 pm

how does the translation group communicate with the core team? it does not have a core member as a group leader, does it communicate? if so is it by e-mail, forums? i am working on the graphic and was just trying to think of how to represent this. So far i was thinking of moving the translation group to the community area all together. Any ideas? ???

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:27 pm

The translations working group is very important to this community. In fact, I do believe (maybe other than the infrastructure working group) the language working group is the largest.

The translations WG is headed up by Ole Bang Ottosen, a core team member, and they use the Translation Working Group Forums as they interact.

Hope that helps!

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:39 pm

Thanks! ;D

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:28 am

got stuck doing programing hw this afternoon (mancala game), i will probably have the research up tomorrow! sorry i will be a little late!  :( However i only have 5&6 to go so it should be tomorrow morning around 10 o'clock a.m. pacific time. :)
Last edited by tj.ferrell on Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:03 pm

TJ -

Appreciate the update!

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:19 pm

Here's the research. I still want to change the font in the new graphic. But if whoever views this can let me know what they think your input is greatly welcome.
Last edited by tj.ferrell on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:20 am

Looking good, my friend!  8) Now, it's time to do some serious cutting.

1.What is Joomla!

Joomla! is a content management system built to that can help you make web pages and other web applications with ease. It is developed to be used in diverse any environments ranging from complex corporate web applications, to you own personal web pages. Our goal is to help make your web experience easier from total newcomer to experienced professional, we are here to help you.

2 What is the Joomla! Core team?

The Joomla! Core team is a group of individuals from all over the world who working together as a single team. Together they manage all aspects of the project contributing time and effort to make to continuously improve Joomla!.  the best software they can.

What are Joomla! Working groups!?

1.The Joomla! Working groups are several groups that interact directly with the Joomla! Community. Each group focuses on a specific area of Joomla! Development and are essential to Joomla! Development working closely with the core team.  Each working group has a leader or co leader in the core development team that allows them to easily bring issues and ideas up to the the core team. 

2.There are currently five working groups

1.The Development Working Group- Under the Group leader Wilco Jansen from the core team, the development working group's goal is “..To develop a cutting edge, state of the art Web Content Management application framework..." They are is responsible for developing new versions of Joomla!, do bug fixing, and developing a strategy for Joomla! And implement it.

etc.

Gonna have to cut.

I agree on changing the font in the image, but it's a good image!

It's excellent content - it will have to be significantly reduced (probably one page for all of it before you create the brochure.)

Good work! This is due on Dec 11, but if you make a good effort and require a bit more time, I think we can be flexible. I asked that you basically start over and I don't mind resetting the date from the date of that review. (I'll have to talk to others - but I think we'll be okay.)

Thanks for your efforts,

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:01 pm

i thought it was due on December 14th? Did i get my dates wrong ??? ? I will try to get a edited version of my text with the new graphic up toninght. 
Last edited by tj.ferrell on Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:40 am

OK heres the edited research with the new graphic, i will try to have a new brocure up by tomorrow morning sometime before 11 o'clock a.m. pacific time.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:06 am

tj -

You are right - it was supposed to be the 14th, not the 11th. You have worked very cooperatively. I appreciate your attitude.

That is GOOD information in your odt file. In the morning, I'll suggest MINOR changes - minor tweaks. BUT - you are nailing all the right stuff - those abbreviations you made are right on the money - you are describing Joomla! correctly and clearly. This is what we need! So, this will be used and useful.

I'll post a few changes in the morning - but - GOOD WORK! :)

Chris Davenport
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Chris Davenport » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:11 am

Hi TJ,

I used your image to update the official workgroups page here: http://dev.joomla.org/content/view/13/53/.  I've been hoping someone would update it for ages!

Thanks,
Chris.
Chris Davenport

Davenport Technology Services http://www.davenporttechnology.com/
Lion Coppice http://www.lioncoppice.org/

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:46 pm

TJ -

Chris is one of our core team members and he just published your work on the official Joomla! org site, now!  8)

OK. See my attachment for revisions. This is going to be a great brochure.

Simple colors - use a few logos. It's your message that counts - and that is stellar.

Thanks!

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:36 pm

I will be a little later with the new brocure, i will most likely upload it tonight. I was also wondering if i could submitt the whole thing in a open office draw format because it is essayer to arrange ( the positioning measurements are the same as in the template for the writer document). Attached is what i was thinking for an outline any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for everything! ;D

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:03 pm

Love it!

Maybe you could include this image on the Core Team page, labeling it "Joomla! Core Team and Open Source Matters Board at Joomla! Summit 2007")

Also - have you used Scribus? It's available at no charge. I just learned of it a couple of weeks ago and - WOW! - is it nice. Easy to use.

Otherwise, you ideas on Oo Draw Format are fine.

Look forward to your copy.

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”