049 - Create a Video demonstrating how to install XAMPP and Joomla!

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
slogen123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

049 - Create a Video demonstrating how to install XAMPP and Joomla!

Post by slogen123 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:46 pm

HI there! I'm Andrew Altamirano from Orlando, FL and I will be creating a video demonstration on installing a XAMPP development server and Joomla! 1.5. Just a few things before I begin this weekend:

1. Is there a preferred OS (i have XP and Vista)
2. Is there a preferred browser (IE7, IE6, FF2, Opera)
3. Which type of output is preferred? (swf, flv, etc)
4. Should I go over configuration within XAMPP such as security settings, setting passwords on phpmyadmin, adding password to root in mysql, switching between PHP 4 and 5, etc?
5. In terms of installing Joomla!, should I stop at the installation completion or go into basic configuration of global settings?

Thanks. I look forward to helping out as much as possible and contribute even more!

Andrew

Claimed: Nov 28 Due: Dec 26

Google Task
[me=AmyStephen]Changed subject slightly for sorting all threads to match against Google resource  :)[/me]
Last edited by AmyStephen on Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 49 - Create a Video demonstrating how to install XAMPP and Joomla!

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:06 am

Hi Andrew!

I am especially pleased to see community members with so much experience participate in the contest!

1. There is no preferred operating system for the video. XP is very much in use, although people are starting to use Vista. Either one of those would be fine.
2. Personally, I would use FireFox for the browser, but it doesn't really matter. (Have you looked at Flock, BTW  :-*)

3. If you use Wink, I believe it only produces swf output, but please let me know your findings. I have also not had any success producing decent sounding audio with Wink. If you can figure out how to do so, I want lessons!

4. Regarding security - (good question!) - the only mention I would make is that it is *not* secure, and briefly why. The overall purpose of the video should be to demonstrate how easy it is to get a localserver up and running.

5. I would stop with the installation of Joomla!, showing how to delete the installation folder. Then, briefly how to navigate to the front and back end.

Since you've been around the Joomla! community for awhile, you have likely heard of JoomlaTutorials. There are good examples of video on that site, in case you are interested.

Overall goal - make it look drop dead easy!  ;)

Good luck in the contest and do not hesitate to ask the community for help and feedback; we are here to help you be successful with your task,
Amy :)

slogen123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: 49 - Create a Video demonstrating how to install XAMPP and Joomla!

Post by slogen123 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:05 am

hmm never heard of Flock. I'll have to play around with it for a while later. Regarding output, i'll be using Camtasia Studio to produce the video since i already have it. I was gonna just test out Wink and see how it is, but their site seems to be down... Anyways, I'll let you know how it comes out. It should be done by next weekend.

B4rr13
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 049 - Create a Video demonstrating how to install XAMPP and Joomla!

Post by B4rr13 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:30 pm

Hi there

Has there been any progress on this task?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:22 am

Slogen -

Would appreciate a status update from you, as soon as you are able. We really would like to hear from the contestants periodically (every few days) to see if there is something we can do to help you be successful, or to review work you have complete.

Look forward to hearing from you!

B4rr13
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by B4rr13 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:14 pm

Hi there slogen123

So far still no updates?

Kristof

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:28 am

Andrew -

If we do not hear from you in the next few days, we will have to open this task for someone else.

Please respond, ASAP.

Thanks!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:17 am

Task closed due to lack of response from contestant.

Hope all is well, Andrew.

Thread will be locked to avoid confusion with next entry.

Thanks, Amy :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:47 am

Andrew responded on his Google task page and has asked that the task be continued.

We look forward to the completion of your task, Andrew.

Thanks,

slogen123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by slogen123 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:52 am

just to follow up on Amy's post, sorry for the lack of updates guys. Apparantly all of the post notifications were being routed into my SPAM box which i rarely check, so i never received notifications of posts on this thread. The project is nearly complete. Now that school has been let out for the holidays, I can really get this wrapped up by friday. I'll try to post some screenshots of the video tomorrow (if i can figure out how to in Camtasia hehe). I'll try to get a full vid up by wednesday for peer review and comments

slogen123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by slogen123 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:59 pm

ok guys i've managed to put the clips all together. The video right now is approx. 13 minutes long and covers the entire process of installing XAMPP and Joomla!. The only issue right now is that it is 167MB in size.... Is there a way to compress SWF?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:32 pm

Wow! I'm going to need a nice buttery popcorn and large soda to watch this!  :pop

If you are using Camtasia, you can output into a format that Google Videos would accept. (ogg, wmv, avi, mp4, mov) Would you mind uploading there, and then sharing the URL? You can initially make it "not public" so that only those who you give the URL to will see it.

Given that size of file, you will likely have to use the Desktop Uploader - but, it's easy to use.

See if that might work. Thanks for your contributions - this will be very helpful, indeed!

slogen123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by slogen123 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:56 pm

Camtasia is actually really cool in that it deploys a SWF with progressive loading as i just figured out, so what i've done is uploaded the video for now up to my server. You can access it at http://www.andrewaltamirano.com/ghop/. Let me know what you guys think. I can export it to AVI and other formats later for the final revision

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:40 am

I think it's too large to load as a swf file - my page has been loading over an hour. Would you mind trying to upload to Google?

Is anyone else able to view this?

Thanks,

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:53 pm

Just watched the movie. I really loved it! It was clear and nice to watch.
Perhaps one remark; All those 'zoom ins' cause that the movie is a lot slower.

Well done! I think this is a very useful movie! :)

Marieke
Greetz, Marieke
Joomla! Documentation Working Group | Joomla! Bug Squad Member | Joomla! Development Working Group
1.6 Help Screen Project Leader
Joomla!Community (Dutch Community) Documentation Team leader

slogen123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by slogen123 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:15 pm

The video has been added to Google Video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7883&hl=en

Thanks for the input Marieke92. I'll compare load times between the zoom-ins and no zoom-ins to see the difference in performance

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:53 pm

Andrew -

Thanks for uploading to Google.

But, it only has 5:36 of video. So, I was able to watch the XAMPP install until you got to the point you were checking out your localhost. Then, nothing! I was left hanging on the edge of my chair - waiting for the J! install and I got nothing!

What's up with that? Did you just upload a preview?  ;)

What I saw, I liked. The video is blurry, but it's certainly easy to follow along. Just need the whole thing!

Thanks much,

slogen123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by slogen123 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:58 pm

i did upload the entire thing, however google for some reason cuts it off at 5:36 for some unknown reason. The AVI i uploaded is the entire thing at 13 minutes, but maybe it is too large? I don't know why it is so blurry either. The AVI i have that was uploaded is perfectly fine. Any suggestions guys?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:02 pm

Did you use the web upload? Or the desktop uploader?  I recommend trying the desktop if you have not already.

Also - I will PM you a username and password to an FTP server. If you could FTP the AVI file, at least I can look at it that way.

Thanks!

slogen123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by slogen123 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:04 pm

yes i used the desktop uploader. ok will wait for your PM

slogen123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by slogen123 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:21 pm

Amy,

Were you able to view the video that I uploaded to your server Wednesday?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:01 pm

I uploaded the video http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2877789988

I absolutely love it   :-*

You do a FABULOUS job showing how easy it is to install XAMPP and Joomla!. You are a natural. I cannot believe the quality of work that some of you are doing and this is certainly very high quality!

Thanks for brushing on the security issues with XAMPP. (And, thanks for not addressing it in the video. Perfect coverage.)

Thanks for showing a new MySQL user for Joomla!, how to set privileges for that user and confirmation of the new user.

Nice job with the install - every step - and deleting the Installation folder.

This will be used. This will be useful. Joomla! v 1.5 is close at hand and this, my friend, is going to get some views.

++++

Only one problem, the quality at Google is not good! But, this is the same trouble James is running into and I think if the two of you put your heads together, you can figure out how to output your Camtasia work in the right format that will make a decent Google video. I do not believe you have to redo your video - just fine tune the settings.

Please post into James' thread and collaborate on this.

I want these videos ready when J! v 1.5 rolls. They are WONDERFUL! And this one is ESSENTIAL.

Thank you for participating with Joomla! - we are certainly better because of your work.

slogen123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by slogen123 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:51 am

after numerous hours of tinkering as well as following James' thread, the best quality that i am able to get on Google is an AVI with the DivX codec. I tried using a MOV but Google gave an error when trying to get it to go live. I'll post it on the GHOP site though.

Google Link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2691&hl=en
Link to SWF on my server (much better): http://www.andrewaltamirano.com/ghop/

I'm going to leave the SWF on my server for at least a little while until some better solution can be formulated to distribute the video. Has anybody had better luck with [youtube]?

slogen123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by slogen123 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:45 pm

Ok, so Google Code wouldn't let me post the video to their server. Anyways, I've gone ahead and published the film with another video streaming provider, Veoh.com. They actually deliver good quality videos. If this works for you guys, then we can go ahead and close this task up. Thanks for everyone's input

Link: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1817093XPqc2QSe

Andrew

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:54 pm

Andrew that ROCKS! You are really, really good at explaining difficult concepts simply. And, that is a very, very good video. I accept that as complete. Elin viewed it and loved it, as well.

++++

I need to get a note to Leslie for a few big files - so - I'll mark it complete, then, later I'd like it if you upload the original. In fact, you might want to link to the original, too.

Did I mention to you, I think we are getting close to Final and that this type of video might be important to a few people?  :pop

You can feel very good - you have made a positive and important contribution to the Joomla! community.

Thank you!

slogen123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by slogen123 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:22 am

Thanks! It's been a lot of fun putting the video together and helping out this FABULOUS community! Now i can take a breather, enjoy some yummy  :pop and get on to the next task!

Andrew

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”