122 - Czech Joomla! Installation Manual

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
peci1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

122 - Czech Joomla! Installation Manual

Post by peci1 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi I am a Czech student (a small country in the middle of Europe, between Germany, Austria and Poland) :) I'm 18 and my in may i do my final exams. Then I want to study AI on the Charles University.

Here's the description of my task:

The Joomla! help site provides an Installation Manual in English.

http://help.joomla.org/content/category/48/268/302/

http://downloads.joomlacode.org/docmanf ... on_0.5.pdf

For this task you will translate (at a minimum) part of this manual into a
non-English language. Specifically, you should work first on these four
sections:

Minimum System Requirements http://help.joomla.org/content/view/1938/302/

Final Preparation http://help.joomla.org/content/view/1941/302/

Installation http://help.joomla.org/content/view/1943/302/

Web Browser Installation http://help.joomla.org/content/view/1947/302/

NOTE: When claiming this task, specify which language you will be
translating into. Be as specific as possible, especially if your language
has local versions.

*PRIOR TO CLAIMING THIS TASK, PLEASE RVIEW THE OTHER TRANSLATION TASKS TO
ENSURE THAT YOU ARE NOT DOING THE SAME TRANSLATION AS ANOTHER PARTICIPANT*

Additional resources:

You may want to visit the sites of the Joomla! translation partner for your
language. http://dev.joomla.org/content/view/42/66/

You may also want to consult participants on the language specific forums
for your language. These are found in the "International Zone" of the
joomla.org forums.

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php

Before submitting the final files, you should have at least one person who
is a fluent reader of your language review your files.
Skills Needed

1. Good skills in both English and the translation language.
  2. Understanding of the Joomla! installation process.

Difficulty

Basic

Work Product

Four files containing the complete translated text and images (whether or
not translated), carefully proof read, in a format suitable for insertion
into Joomla! content.

Licensing

The document should comply with current Joomla! Editorial Style Guidelines
and guidelines for the Template Tutorials Project.

Documentation written for this task must be made available under the
Joomla! Electronic Documentation License. will insert both of the above

Extra Credit (optional)

Create new screenshots for the document that show Joomla! in the same
language that you are translating into.

Translate the remainder of the manual.

Time Limit

Two weeks
Last edited by AmyStephen on Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 122 - Translate part of the Installation Manual to a non-English Language- C

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:58 am

Hi peci1 -

Thanks for your willingness to take on this task! Please let us know if there is something we can do to help. We would also appreciate hearing from you, every few days, so that we understand your progress.

Good luck with the contest!
Amy :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 122 - Czech Joomla! Installation Manual

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:45 pm

I PM'ed svatas to see if he had time to provide assistance with this review.

svatas
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by svatas » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:56 pm

Dear all,

My name is Svatopluk Vit and I'm the head of Czech team providing support for all czech Joomla users on our portal http://www.joomlaportal.cz. Our team is official translation team for czech language also.

We are very glad to see somebody maintaining czech version of user documentation.  I will take care about review of peci1 work.

As I saw the resources - the main problem is, that we are maintaining localization of Joomla in czech language. This documentation will be useless if there will be no screenshots with czech version of Joomla. As czech installation language pack is in Joomla! 1.5 RC3 and will be in upcoming RC4, we will be glad to see czech screenshots and whole documentation should use "proper" czech terminology .

This will bring more work as planned (I think), because all screenshots should be taken again and all texts should be translated exactly as in our translation.  This involves more close cooperation with czech translation team.

If you are still keen on working on that (peci1), please contact me to discuss all matters concerning this. Czech terminology for RC4 was partly rewritten to accept user comments we get.
Member of the Czech Joomla Translation Team

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:02 pm

Thank you, Svatopluk. It is so good to hear that you have specific requirements. I am certain peci1 can help provide exactly what the Czech community requires. Thank you very much for your prompt response and willingness to help oversee and direct this task.

Kind regards,

peci1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by peci1 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:26 pm

Hi, now I've finished translation of the three shorter files and am going to complete the longest one. I downloaded the translation files for Front-end and Back-end, but I couldn't find the installator in czech. I'll try some more search on it ;)

One question to the translation - can I use a word meaning 'provider' instead of 'host' in some reliable cases? The version with 'host' sounds terribly in our language :)

svatas
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by svatas » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:53 pm

For me is the only condition - please use Joomla! terminology. Because this documentation will be used mostly by beginners and we should not confuse them.

Does not matter if you use some terms instead of others, important is to use proper terminology which is used by czech translation. If the translation is host, it should be used...

peci1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by peci1 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi, I encouraged a very strange statement in the manual (The page with Web browser installation). A sentence says:

'The language files included in the core only relate to the installation process itself and do not affect the Front-end or Back-end displays of Joomla! and by default these are only installed in en-GB .'

I thought the 'core' is the base of Joomla! and isn't the installation file. But the next part says it relates ONLY to the installation, so I changed my oppinion. But only in en-GB are installed the files for Joomla! itself, the installation file is translated by default. So I'm in doubt... should the 'core' be replaced by the 'installation package' and the last part to 'many languages', or something else?

peci1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by peci1 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:34 pm

Hi again, I noticed that even in the newest translation (RC4) not all strings are translated... Should I mark the used untranslated strings somehow? Temporarily I'll enclose 'em in HTML class 'translate' ;)

peci1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by peci1 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:15 pm

Now I finished work on the 4 files needed with screenshots, they're located at http://jh.gvn.cz/~mp890318/joomla.rar. I didn't make new shots for the admin login screen and the control panel view - the user views them in english after the installation... should I translate them too?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:07 am

peci1 - did svatas and you get a chance to review your work, yet?

Thanks!

peci1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by peci1 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:40 pm

no we didn't get... svatas didn't post here since the 18th and didn't mail me... I'll try to send him a message...

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:23 am

It's such a busy time of year because of the holidays and because we are nearing another RC or perhaps Final.

svatas is very important to that effort so I am certain that is why you are having trouble making connections right now.

Here's what I have suggested for others. Upload your document to your Google Task and I will mark it as complete. Later when the two of you have time to work, I am confident you will make any changes svatas requests.

Since we are nearing a final release, this is great timing to help those who speak Czech be able to follow these great instructions and make use of Joomla!.

Thank you, very much, for your contributions to Joomla!. When the document has been uploaded to the Google Task page, I will mark your task complete on Google.

svatas
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by svatas » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:38 am

All the best for upcoming year.

I just finished my "deep" analyze of translation. Overall quality is very good, there are still some mistakes regarding proper Joomla terminology. Peci1 have some problems with translation, but it is only the fact, that he has no real experience with frequent translating. I just pointed him to do some corrections.

Regarding his work - very good! All novice users from Czech republic will appreciate this and will love Joomla!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:54 pm

svatas wrote: All novice users from Czech republic will appreciate this and will love Joomla!
Wonderful! :)

Thanks so much, svatas, for your help - and good luck to with the Joomla! v 1.5 rollout, too!

pec1 - when the documents are uploaded, I will mark your task complete. Thanks you very much for your contributions to the Joomla! community. The timing of completing your work is very good! The release is getting closer.

Happy New Year,

peci1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by peci1 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:41 pm

So I've just finished the corrections svatas posted me. I've uploaded the whole work to Google http://code.google.com/p/google-highly- ... %20Summary . Me and svatas haven't marked the work as finished yet, but I think it's in good condition now :)

Thanks svatas for his help!

Thanks Amy for cooperating ;)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:04 pm

Thank you so much for this valuable contribution to the Joomla! community. Your timing is very, very good! We are getting close to Joomla! v 1.5 going live. This will be an important part of helping end users take advantage of this amazing tool! You made an important difference and it is appreciated!

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”