034 - Implement "thank you for your email" message in contact component

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
souldier
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

034 - Implement "thank you for your email" message in contact component

Post by souldier » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:40 pm

Hi, Im going to try this task, it doesnt seem to be that hard...

Anything that might help please go ahead and reply...

thank you
Last edited by AmyStephen on Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

souldier
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 034 - Implement "thank you for your email" message in contact component

Post by souldier » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:27 am

Right now i was taking a look at the controller.php on the com_contact folder on the site components and found this:

Code: Select all

$this->setError( JText::_( 'Thank you for your e-mail'));
		$this->display();

this is line 196 and line 197.

Right now my mail configuration on Joomla! are note correctly set. but i would like to know if this has anything to do with this task?

Thank you in advance

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:05 am

Hmmm. I'm not certain. Let me find the person who proposed this task.

Thanks!
Amy :)

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:35 pm

I think it probably does. I also know there is already a language string that says thank you for your email. But somehow, it seems like it was never fully implemented.

This was a task that came from the wishlist forum, so you might want to go over there and see what people were saying.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

souldier
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by souldier » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:10 am

AmyStephen, is there any tutorials or reference on how to add strings to the language file?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:18 am

souldier wrote: AmyStephen, is there any tutorials or reference on how to add strings to the language file?
I made a post that I have been sharing with others - it is very brief, but it seems to help people get started.  See if that helps and ask any questions you might have.

Thanks and good luck!

souldier
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by souldier » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:31 am

I got another question. For this task must it be that on the admin control panel under com_contact i could change this Thank you message? There isnt anything left to do. the thank you message is working and on the language file there is already a string..... Im confused

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:37 am

If this task was taken from the Wish List - and you are saying it is already implemented, we are going to have to adapt. What is your suggestion?

Are there other email options you think would be helpful with users? What about implementing a mail to me option for articles that are published? Maybe a module a user could sign up to receive email? That could be configurable by section and category.  The message could simply provide a link to the article - and the intro text or the full text. It could allow WYSIWYG editing or plain text.

Are there other ideas you have?

Again, if this has been done, you can either select another task, or we can do some quick adaptations!

Sorry for the bump in the road - we are willing to work with you on a good solution.

Thanks...Amy :)

The_PHP_Jedi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The_PHP_Jedi » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:42 am

AmyStephen wrote: Maybe a module a user could sign up to receive email? That could be configurable by section and category.  The message could simply provide a link to the article - and the intro text or the full text. It could allow WYSIWYG editing or plain text.
I like that idea... :D

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:00 am

Hi,

You're right, the thank you message is appearing; in kind of a strange place, but I guess that was fixed by someone along the way. :)

It would certainly be great to be able to customize that message without opening the language file. :)

Another thing that i see with com_contact in general would be allowing a custom redirect after the email is sent.

And of course it would be lovely to explain what is meant by the custom reply.

This would really be about creating a modified version of contact and submitting it as a proposed patch for 1.6.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:49 am

souldier -

What would you like to do? This is most unfortunate and we are certainly willing to work with you on this.

Please propose something for consideration.

Kind regards,

souldier
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by souldier » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:09 pm

AmyStephen wrote: souldier -

What would you like to do? This is most unfortunate and we are certainly willing to work with you on this.

Please propose something for consideration.

Kind regards,
Hi AmyStephen(Happy Xmas BTW)

well i could try and work what you had proposed, but i would need some guidance, because i wouldnt really know where to start at...

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:57 pm

OK. First of all, your time restarts if you choose to do this new task. My sincere apologies to you on the mix up.

++++

New task:

Create a Joomla! v 1.5 System Plugin to send email notification of new articles

Include instructions to:

1. Install Kevin Devine's UserMeta Extension

2. Explain how to add a new parameter to the XML file:
    - Activate Email Notification for New Articles
    - Note: In the future, being able to select notification for specific menu items and/or authors will be good. Not for this contest, though.

3. Explain how the new user parameters are available on the frontend to the site member, and in the backend for the site administrator.

4. Create a system plugin that fires when an article is published (this is where your work will be):

- Determine the article URL and convert it to a Tiny URL (Hint: look at Depresz's Twitter Plugin and reuse his logic - noting his contributions.)

- Read the user table, determine which users want notification for the section/category that this article was published in, extracting their email addresses.

- Extract the title of the article, the author's name and the introductory text for the body of the email (plus the tiny url from above).

- Send a group email, and blind copy each recipient with the tiny url linking back to the article.

Resources:
- administrator/components/com_massmail/*.*
- Depresz's Twitter Plugin
- Kevin Devine's UserMeta Extension

++++

Let me know if this sounds good to you. Again, my apologies for the mix up. I guarantee you that this will be a popular extension. Make certain to post frequently to get as much community feedback as possible.

If you do not wish to do this extension, but wish to choose another, instead, I completely understand.

Thanks very much for your patience,

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:55 am

souldier -

Have you made any progress on this new task?

Or, would you rather work on a testing task? We opened a few that must be accomplished quickly in the next couple of days. These are pretty straight forward tasks.

Whatever we can do to help, please do not hesitate to ask. I feel very bad that this task didn't turn out very well. Again, I apologize for that.

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”