085 - Create a document entitled "How to include Slimbox in your Joomla! Website

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
dsadik
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

085 - Create a document entitled "How to include Slimbox in your Joomla! Website

Post by dsadik » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:57 pm

Hi again
I am starting my second task in which I have to create a document titled "How to include Slimbox in your Joomla! Website".

The description from the Google Task is:
One line summary
Create a document entitled "How to include Slimbox in your Joomla! Website."

Description
Using the instructions in the article entitled Slimbox, the ultimate
lightweight Lightbox clone, document the step-by-step instructions needed
to include Slimbox in a Joomla! article. Include snap shots of important steps.

Documentation written for this task must be made available under the
Joomla! Electronic Documentation License.

Skills Needed
Ability to install XAMPP, download and install Joomla! on a localhost using
default data. Ability to review software and identify features. Good Open
Office Writer and communication skills.

Difficulty
Moderate.

Work Product
Attractive, correctly written explanation. Use logo and color scheme.

Extra Credit (optional)

Time Limit
3 weeks
Last edited by AmyStephen on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

dsadik
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 85 - Create a document entitled "How to include Slimbox in your Joomla! Webs

Post by dsadik » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:20 pm

I have a quick question, What do you mean when you say: "Use logo and color scheme."?
Also is there maybe a document template that somebody has already made
Thanks,

D

dsadik
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 85 - Create a document entitled "How to include Slimbox in your Joomla! Webs

Post by dsadik » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:31 pm

Ok I have a problem. I was trying to install slimbox but it appears I must of made some mistake. :( Below are the steps I took  to install it, I was using RC4 and this forum post(http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,228328.0.html) as a guide.

These are the steps I am following.

1. I first downloaded slimbox
2. Then I put the files in my template's folder by putting the css files from the slimbox zip into the
\xampp\htdocs\joomla\templates\rhuk_milkyway\css foldder and by putting the js files into a new js folder.

3. I then the pasted
/templates/rhuk_milkyway/css/slimbox.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

write above the
in rhuk_milkyway's index.php.

4.  I  opened up the "Welcome to Joomla!" document, clicked on the HTML edit button and pasted this link around the image already there:
5. Saved it and went to http://localhost/joomla and clicked on the image in the "Welcome to Joomla!" document. It did not open up a lightbox but instead it just went straight to the image.

I could'nt see anything wrong in my source code either when I viewed it in firefox(if you want to take a look at it i uploaded it to Gpages: http://daniel.sadik.googlepages.com/viewsource.txt)

Thanks in advance :)

-Daniel

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 085 - Create a document entitled "How to include Slimbox in your Joomla! Web

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:16 am

Make certain to follow along primarily with the original Slimbox usage guidelines.

There is no way those earlier posts in that forum thread worked for J! v 1.5 since $mosconfig_Live_site is for J! v 1.0.x not 1.5. Later in that thread, you can see people correcting that.

Make certain to check how the milkyway CSS and JS statements are coded:

This from your note:
/templates/rhuk_milkyway/css/slimbox.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
This is from Milkyway - notice the baseurl instead of livesite? slight reordering of values?
baseurl ?>/templates/system/css/general.css" type="text/css" />
Javascript will be the same:
  baseurl ?>/templates/rhuk_milkyway/js/slimbox.js">
You won't have to load mootool.js as it is already loaded.

The mosConfig issue, alone, could have caused your problem.

Good luck!
Amy :)

dsadik
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 085 - Create a document entitled "How to include Slimbox in your Joomla! Web

Post by dsadik » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:43 pm

Thanks that was the problem :)
I've attached my first draft to this post.
Are the steps easy enough to follow?  I wanted to add some snapshots  but wasn't sure which steps needed them most.
Maybe you can tell me which steps to make a snapshot of?

Also if there are any other problems or mistakes with it please let me know..

Thanks,

D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:02 am

Really, really, REALLY great start! And, yes, it's pretty easy to follow.

I made minor changes to the document.

Yes, add in nice photos that clearly highlight what to do. Keep the pictures small and tightly focused on the subject (but consistent sizes, if possible.)

I changed your image examples to not have a "/" in front of the image - and also to use real examples from the images/stories/fruit directory so that it can be copied and pasted in and work for everyone. (That will help them figure out how to make the path correctly, too.)

I can only get two of three fruit to show in the group. Are you having a problem, as well?

Good work,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dsadik
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dsadik » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:30 am

Ok thanks.
I'll take a look at it tomowrow :)

Have a great new year!

-Daniel

dsadik
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dsadik » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:01 am

Hi Amy,
I made minor changes to the document.
That's good, thanks for taking the time to correct it :)
Yes, add in nice photos that clearly highlight what to do. Keep the pictures small and tightly focused on the subject (but consistent sizes, if possible.)
Ok, I've added photos to some of the steps, Did you want me to try to get a snapshot of every step or is the way I did it fine? Also are the snapshots I have too big?
I can only get two of three fruit to show in the group. Are you having a problem, as well?
No, I didn't have a problem, although I did change a cherry to a strawberry in your group example.
I dont know if that could of caused it?
I've uploaded the latest revision here, please tell me if there is any other mistakes or things wrong..: http://daniel.sadik.googlepages.com/dra ... Joomla.odt

Thanks again,

Daniel

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:53 am

Looks great, works great. I got all four pictures; you are probably right about my filename problem.

I recommend you only use bold font on headers - not text. Fix that, upload it to Google and we will complete this task.

This is GREAT. It's so easy to do and you have just made using a little Mootools possible for the "average bear."

Excellent work!

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”