061 - Create a troubleshooting procedure to help resolve problems with template

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

061 - Create a troubleshooting procedure to help resolve problems with template

Post by drmmr763 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:27 pm

061 Create a troubleshooting procedure to help resolve problems with template Installation (the entire title didn't fit!)

Hello once again, Joomla! GHOP community. I have claimed another task, and hopefully it won't be my last. (yay for rhyming).

My task is to build a 'troubleshooting procedure' for Template Installation errors. I'm still compiling a list of everything that can go wrong with template installation. This is actually partial list I put together last night when I was checking out the task:

Does your Joomla! installation support the template you are trying to install?

Is the XML correct?

Are you trying to install the same template twice?

Are all the required directories writable?
I have a question about this 'issue'. With Joomla! 1.0.x, the templates directory had to be writable to install templates. With Joomla! it doesn't tell you which directories have to be writable. I assume that its still the templates directory. Also, in J! 1.5 you can submit your FTP log in credentials, I assume that when you do that it automatically sets the file permissions properly.

--

I'll be scanning through the Joomla! templates/general questions forums for installation errors. The ones I have listed I only put in because I know that they exist, and I know the (probable) answers.

The Task description says this:
Familiarity with *nix filesystem ownership and permissions setups.
I assume this is because of user permission errors with Joomla! and Apache. I'm am slightly unsure as to what extent I should get into this. Does anyone have any specific 'go this far and then stop' advice they'd like to offer up?

That's all the questions I have for now, I'll begin compiling my current list of issues into a document. In the mean time, anyone who has anything I haven't listed that should be included, please post and I'll add it in. Thankyou!
Last edited by AmyStephen on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Chad Windnagle
Please use the search feature as your question might already have been answered.

http://www.s-go.net/ ~ Website Hosting - Strategic Marketing - Website Development - Print Work

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: 061 - Create a troubleshooting procedure to help resolve problems with templ

Post by mcsmom » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:54 pm

Chad,

That sounds like a good plan--I definitely recommend looking for some common problems reported in the forums. 

You might also want to ask in the template forum for suggestions.

Yes, you are right about the FTP credentials.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: 061 - Create a troubleshooting procedure to help resolve problems with templ

Post by drmmr763 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:43 am

Here I come with revision 1!

I put this document together. I broke one of the templates from the J! 1.5 template contest as much as I could trying to get different errors so I could get solutions. I spent an hour or so scanning the J! 1.5 Template forum for installation errors. I didn't come up with anything more than I listed. In actuality, I've only got like 4 different 'errors' and their solutions on here. If anyone has ever occurred other errors installing templates please post 'em here, and the solution if you have one, and I'll incorporate those in this document.

Here's the zip file. Let me know what you guys think!
-Chad Windnagle
Please use the search feature as your question might already have been answered.

http://www.s-go.net/ ~ Website Hosting - Strategic Marketing - Website Development - Print Work

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:03 am

That looks great! There is one "Joomla! Joomla!" double in there - otherwise, I felt it was well written, hit important problems, and will be helpful to people.

Would including something on images and favicons help? Maybe even how to correctly write a CSS statement and/or JS statement.

I hope others share issues, too.

Thanks for taking another task - and getting such a great start on it!
Amy :)

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:16 pm

Wow, you got a lot done!!!!

When I was installing templates, I got
Warning! - Failed to move file
until I chmod'ed the right directories.  I think I had to chmod tmp. It is just a "warning". but it wouldn't install until I changed this.

There are also many cases in there where the word after "Joomla!" is capitalized. 
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: 061 - Create a troubleshooting procedure to help resolve problems with template

Post by drmmr763 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:23 pm

There are also many cases in there where the word after "Joomla!" is capitalized. 
Gosh darn autocorrect!
Warning! - Failed to move file
I'll add that. Sounds like a permissions error for sure.
-Chad Windnagle

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: 061 - Create a troubleshooting procedure to help resolve problems with template

Post by drmmr763 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:40 pm

Okay so I ran through and made sure all the Joomla!'s were correct. I also added a small 3/4 page section at the bottom about changing favicons.

Changes and suggestions on more errors would be awesome!

Version 2
-Chad Windnagle

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:10 am

Just a couple picky grammar and sentence fluency things.
Other Solution:
Using the FTP client of your choice, log into your server, and change the
joomlaroot/templates directory to permission 777. This setting is not recommended for you to
keep. As soon as your template is installed I strongly recommend you set it to 755.
Make sure "tmp" is 777 as well.
You can run J! 1.0.X templates
People will probably know what you mean by "J!", but it makes it seem like you just whipped this out in five minutes.  Do a find and replace to make sure to get all of these.
The aim of this document is to identify common and frequent errors discovered in Joomla! 1.5 installation errors, and provide solutions.
You are being redundant when you say "common and frequent".  You may also want to consider changing one of the "errors" to a synonym, like "problems" or "issues".
Sometimes the solution is easy, sometimes its not.
Its means the property of it.  It's means it is.
“Template Install: Another template is already using directory:
"joomlaroot/templates/template_name"”
If you put quotes in quotes, you should change them to single quotes.  For example:
“Template Install: Another template is already using directory:
'joomlaroot/templates/template_name'”

One of your notes has a "!" after it instead of a ":".

Because the Template has its owned favicon
already, you will probably be asked if you want to
overwrite the previous file.
Don't capitalize template, and change "owned" to "own".
When you replace a favicon, chances are because you've been to your site before, the site
has been cached by your browser, so you probably won't see the changed icon till you clear
your cache.
Could be better said as
Since your browser has already downloaded your old favicon, you probably won't see the changed icon till you clear your cache and refresh.
Correct me on any of this if you think I am wrong, because I'm not a college professor or anything (despite what Amy thinks...)
I can tell you have put a lot of work into this.  I can really see others using this document.

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:44 am

Correct me on any of this if you think I am wrong, because I'm not a college professor or anything (despite what Amy thinks...)
You could be!

Revision 3

Thanks for the proof read!
-Chad Windnagle

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:43 am

drmmr763 wrote: You could be!
Chad - you and I know the truth!  ;)
Sadly, I cannot tell you how this process is completed as its different for every template.
Change to: The XML file for each template is different, depending on the file names included.
Error:
“Template Install: Another template is already using directory: "joomlaroot/templates/template_name"”

Well, first I would check the Extension Manager --> Templates to see if you have already installed this template. If you haven't, then, if you really want to use this template, you'll have to do some work.
When would it ever not be installed?
Error:
“Error! Could not find an XML setup file in the package.”
Another possibility is that the template zip file is contained within another zip file.

owned --> own
Because the Template has its owned favicon already,
Consider adding:

Why isn't my CSS being used? (base URL statement - is it pointing to the right folder?)
baseurl ?>/templates/system/css/system.css" type="text/css" />
How come my module is not showing?

(The Location not defined in template. How do you do that? Provide an example.)

Doing good!

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:19 am

I think I got everything. yay for working on Christmas day!

Revision 4
-Chad Windnagle

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:29 am

If they don't, its back to creating your own.
It's, not its.
Its
nearly impossible for anyone to say exactly what the problem is.
Ditto
Each Joomla! template has it's own cascading style sheet (css).
Its, not it's

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:35 am

I must have bad luck with those things...I'll fix 'em!
-Chad Windnagle

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:07 pm

Updated to revision 5:

Revision 5

Note:
All previous revisions are no longer available. I deleted them off of my FTP for sake of space.
Last edited by drmmr763 on Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chad Windnagle

Chris Davenport
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Chris Davenport » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:33 am

Hi Chad,

Finally got to reading this....

A good start.  :)  What I had in mind originally was a step-by-step procedure that could be followed by almost anyone to diagnose and fix template installation problems.  A bit like those keys you get for identifying insects or plants or whatever.  It asks questions and you branch depending on the answer.  It might be just too difficult to do it that way; I don't know.

Anyway, the most frequent template installation problem seems (to me) to be down to permissions and ownership issues and you certainly captured the former, but you haven't mentioned the latter.

You state that "Templates supported by Joomla! 1.0.x are not supported by Joomla! 1.5".  I could be wrong, but I thought that 1.0.x templates are supported in 1.5 legacy mode.  You then seem to imply that making a template compatible with 1.5 native is just a matter of updating the XML file.  This is not the case as you will also need to update the template index.php file too.

Under "another template is already using directory...." you suggest deleting the existing template.  Naturally you would expect the user to try doing this using the Template Manager, which is fine.  However, I'm not sure, but I think that might fail if the template is not intact for some reason.  For example, if the templateDetails.xml file is missing or something like that (you need to test this).  If that is the case then you can delete the template using FTP to simply delete the entire directory as there are no database entries for templates.

Under "Could not find an XML setup file in the package" I think you may be missing the most common cause of this error, which is again related to permissions/ownership (at least it is with 1.0.x).  The problem arises because the installer must create a subdirectory under /tmp to unpack the zip file into and it may not have the required permissions to do that.  Or it may be able to create the subdirectory but then not be able to create files within it.  Or something like that.  Under 1.0.x the installer would try to unpack the zip but it would not get an error under these circumstances, so it would then proceed to look for the templateDetails.xml file in the /tmp area and fail to find it because actually nothing had been unpacked.  This is the error message you would get.

Another reason for this error that I've come across is that the template is not actually a Joomla! template at all!

This is a tough task, but I think you've made a very good start.  Well done.  :)

Regards,
Chris.
Chris Davenport

Davenport Technology Services http://www.davenporttechnology.com/
Lion Coppice http://www.lioncoppice.org/

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:27 pm

Anyway, the most frequent template installation problem seems (to me) to be down to permissions and ownership issues and you certainly captured the former, but you haven't mentioned the latter.
I kinda thought they were the same thing. But I understand the difference now.

I'm not entirely positive how to tell someone how to fix an ownership problem. From what I understand, it is a setting in Apache? I've never ventured into Apache setting territory before myself, and I've never had this problem, so I don't know the first thing about telling someone how to fix it. Anyone care to offer up some advice here?

--

I'll work on the other ideas you mentioned and come back with something!
-Chad Windnagle

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:18 am

Code: Select all

chown desired_username:desired_groupname filename
or

chown -R desired_username:desired_groupname foldername
or

chown desired_username filename
or

chown -R desired_username foldername
or

chgrp desired_groupname filename
or

chgrp -R desired_groupname foldername
These will change the owning users or groups of files or folders.  I think apache's default user is www-data, and the group is www-data as well.

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:32 am

I was under the impression that 'root' was the administrative user group...but, I'll take your word for it.
-Chad Windnagle

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:22 am

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding.  root is the administrator.  This means that all of the files you save that were created by root, only root can modify.  Apache runs under the user and group www-data.  root has access to files www-data makes, but not the other way around.  If a user named demouser makes a file, only demouser will be able to modify it.  This is where permissions comes in.  Each user has their own group.  The members of the group demouser get special privileges on demouser's files.  Each file is assigned an owning user and an owning group.  Using chmod, you can set the different permissions based on who is a member of what group.  There are shortcuts in the form of 3 digit numbers.  Many times, the owner can read and write to a file, the group can read the file, and everyone else cannot do anything.  What all of this mean is that since apache runs under the user www-data, it only has the permissions that www-data runs under.  If you are demouser, www-data doesn't have access to your files unless you add www-data to the demouser group.  You do this with

usermod -a -G demouser www-data

Sorry if this makes no sense at all; I will explain it better if you need me to.

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:12 am

Okay! So, I've put some more time into this.

Chris, I thought about your thoughts on asking questions and then having answers, but I had a difficult time trying to wrap my head about how to go about that. So, I've sort of stuck to my original 'error. cause. solution' idea. But, I did make some changes that I hope you'll like and approve of. If you really want it to be a questionnaire-answer thing, I'll work on trying to get that type of format.

Max, thanks for your input on the file ownership stuff. It really helped me put this together. Hopefully I've got this reading the right way. If not, I'll gladly accept some more verbage on that, as the whole apache ownership thing is something that I don't quite 'get' myself. I understand the concept, but I guess some day I'll just have to do it, so I understand how it works.

So, here is the download.Let me know what ya'll think.
Last edited by drmmr763 on Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Chad Windnagle

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:12 pm

You will need to go to the
apache user groups and CHMOD Joomla!'s user group to have ownership of the website directories.
Apache uses unix permissions.  chown is the unix command to change the owner and group of a file.  If there are user permission errors, the most likely cause is that root owns the Joomla! folder.  To change this, find the folder that Joomla! is installed to, and run this command:

sudo chown -R www-data:www-data joomlaid
where joomlaid is the name of the Joomla! installation directory..
Make sure chmod and chown aren't capitalized as well, because they won't work if they are capitalized.

Good luck!  :)

P.S.-Where did you find that "?" picture on the "notes"?
Last edited by trombonechamp on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:25 pm

P.S.-Where did you find that "?" picture on the "notes"?
I made that in Photoshop. The source PSD is in the zip.
-Chad Windnagle

binwangzz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by binwangzz » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:40 am

well done guys. Could some one explain why we keep getting the message "can't find installation file" I have pack my files exactly as tutorial said in this order:
c3_trial/c3_trial/index.php
c3_trial/c3_trial/template_thumbnail.png
c3_trial/c3_trial/templateDetails.xml
c3_triall/c3_trial/css/main.css
and I have zipped it changed the permission to 777. After I tried install it. I keep getting those messages.
"can't find installation xml file.."
"can't find index.php file.."
"can't find...."
Well the error message sort of change everytime I tried to install the same zip file!
What's more I have a couple of zipped template file which I've download somewhereelse. and it installs fine.
But after I unzipped it just to have a look what's in there and leave it untouched and recompress them back to old same zip file again. it would install properly anymore. and all the same error message will come out.
Some one help please!!

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:42 am

Binwangzz, could you please send me the file so I can look at it? Email it to me: drmmr763 at gmail dot com
-Chad Windnagle

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:57 am

binwangzz wrote: well done guys. Could some one explain why we keep getting the message "can't find installation file" I have pack my files exactly as tutorial said in this order:
c3_trial/c3_trial/index.php
c3_trial/c3_trial/template_thumbnail.png
c3_trial/c3_trial/templateDetails.xml
c3_triall/c3_trial/css/main.css
and I have zipped it changed the permission to 777. After I tried install it. I keep getting those messages.
"can't find installation xml file.."
"can't find index.php file.."
"can't find...."
Well the error message sort of change everytime I tried to install the same zip file!
What's more I have a couple of zipped template file which I've download somewhereelse. and it installs fine.
But after I unzipped it just to have a look what's in there and leave it untouched and recompress them back to old same zip file again. it would install properly anymore. and all the same error message will come out.
Some one help please!!
Binwanzz -
Sorry, but this is not the right place to ask these questions. This is the forum for the Google's Highly Open Participation Contest. Each contestant has a thread for the task they are working on. Community members are invited to comment on the correctness and appropriateness of the work, but we do not want support questions here.

I see that Chris Davenport suggested you get a copy of this document for assistance in this thread. Both MMMedia and tydust responded, as well. Since each are experts in templating, returning to that thread and interacting with them will be most fruitful.

Thanks for understanding.

binwangzz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by binwangzz » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:00 am

I have send you a emil with my zip file attached to it. thank you very much for looking indeed.

binwangzz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by binwangzz » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:12 am

well, sorry for been the wrong place. thanks for reply my post. I will just keep knocking on other doors! : )

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:46 am

I made the change Max specified. Here is the latest file:

*Note: I've again deleted all previous revisions, so only this link will work. Also, on the other documents I wrote, I left only the final accepted versions. All others have been deleted to conserve my available space.

Revison 8

Does anyone have any further recommendations for this document?
-Chad Windnagle

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:13 am

Chad -

First of all, this is nicely done.

On 3.2, where you are showing people where to navigate to get rid of the template that didn't install correctly, you tell them to FTP and go to the joomlaroot/templates/ folder. Then, you talk about deleting the "bad" template subfolder. But, I worry they might get rid of highlighted joomlaroot/templates folder. Consider adding joomlaroot/templates/badtemplate/ to the description.

On 6 - make certain to include the basurl. In fact, one of the reason the CSS or images are not used could be because baseurl is not there. (This would be true when they installed in a folder within the base website, like http://example.com/joomla. In that case, baseurl will be joomla.)

<link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php echo $this->baseurl ?>/templates/system/css/system.css" type="text/css" />
Thanks much!

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Amy!

Revision 9
-Chad Windnagle

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”