055 - Create a Video demonstrating how to embed media into a Joomla! article

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
mdranta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

055 - Create a Video demonstrating how to embed media into a Joomla! article

Post by mdranta » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:36 am

Hello! My name is MD Ranta and I have claimed the task of creating a video on how to embed media into a Joomla article. I am supposed record a Wink video that demonstrates how to select a No WYSIWYG editor for a User. The media that will be embedded is a google video so I will show how to copy  the xHTML from a Google video, and embed the code into the Joomla! article. Then, show from the Frontend how site visitors are able to view the video.

Finally I am to, if need be, ask for help. Well I will need some help in the near future, this is because  I am a little confused as how to license the video, as I have never done it before some help would be very much appreciated.

Claimed: Nov 28 Due Dec 26

EDIT:I forgot to put in the Google Link

[me=AmyStephen]Changed subject slightly for sorting all threads to match against Google resource  :)[/me]
Last edited by AmyStephen on Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 055 - Create a Video demonstrating how to embed media into a Joomla! article

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:53 am

MD Ranta -

Welcome to Joomla! and thanks for participating in the GHOP contest! I hope you enjoy your experience and learn something in the process. I know your contributions to our community will be very much appreciated by people all over the world.

Allow me to direct your attention to the thread entitled GHOP Contestants Please Read: Task Process Start to Finish for important updates on the contest.

It appears you already know - we are here to help you be successful with your task - just ask! Good luck!
Amy :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 055 - Create a Video demonstrating how to embed media into a Joomla! article

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:36 am

MD Ranta -

We would appreciate an update on your task. Is there anything we can do to help you be successful? We are asking all students to please check in every few days so that we know the status of your task, and are able to help, if needed.

Thanks!

mdranta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdranta » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:07 pm

Hey,

At the moment I have most everything prepared, I downloaded Joomla! and XAMPP. Put that together and because Wink is new software for me I am getting a feel for it. The only thing I need to do now is start recording with Wink and put narration on that. It will be done by next week, around Wednesday.

Well I'm off goodbye,

MD Ranta

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:01 pm

Thanks for the update!

mdranta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdranta » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:03 am

Sorry about being late its just this hassle with the Holidays and everything else.

The good news is I finished recording with Wink and am rendering it now

Should be up soon

mdranta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdranta » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:55 am

Here we go it's uploaded

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:32 am

I am unable to view swf files. Can you upload to Google videos and share a link? That would be really helpful!

Thanks!

mdranta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdranta » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:21 am

Just a question, but how would I go about converting the swf from wink into a readable format by google video?

Thanks

MD

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:19 pm

Maybe it's just my computer, but the movie runs really really quickly, depending on what app I use.  When I use VLC, it runs so quickly that everything seems like a blur.  On firefox, doesn't run quite as quickly, but too quickly to see what you are doing.
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:03 pm

OK. My sincere apologies to you. You posted your solution on the 26th. You used the software recommended. For some reason, I cannot look at a SWF file on my machine. That is not your fault. I apologize for this lengthy delay.

Are you able to upload your solution to http://www.revver.com ? Others are finding that is better resolution, anyway.

Try that, and let me know. Again, my apologies for making you wait.

Amy

mdranta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdranta » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:49 pm

Apparently Google and Revver both do not like my video I trans coded it into a .mov so I decided to upload it to another site

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:49 pm

Good - both Revver and Google can handle .mov - Revver has much better quality.

Where did you put it?

Thanks!

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:36 pm

Would it be possible to convert it to an open format like Ogg Theora as well?
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:45 pm

We should have thought through the video more before we made the assignment. Now, we are kind of scrambling just to get a usable solution. Joomla org doesn't host those types of files at this time. Google and [youtube] do a crummy job with video quality and you end up not seeing the screen very well. One of our contestants discovered Revver does a very nice job with quality. But, it's off the beaten track and won't catch the traffic that a [youtube] or Google would.

Ogg is a good open format. But, still, not very consumable.  Most people do not want to download an instructional video - they just want to view it.

So, that's kind of where we are at right now. Since there have been several turned in already, we can't go back and ask people to change, necessarily, either.

mdranta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdranta » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:46 am

AmyStephen wrote: Good - both Revver and Google can handle .mov - Revver has much better quality.

Where did you put it?

Thanks!
I uploaded it to both of those sites, and they accepted it both of the times, but after it was finished uploading it went straight to the failed section of my video section. So I will try and convert the flash to another format until these sites do not mark the video as failed.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:53 am

I am so sorry for this hassle! Thanks for hanging in there with it.

mdranta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdranta » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:55 am

I finally found something that worked, I changed the codec that I exported to from flash and I uploaded it to revver, but it didn't like it. So I tried [youtube] And Google video. They both worked here is the [youtube] link http://[youtube].com/watch?v=PgIBYI8GydI and the link for the Google video is http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid= ... 6&hl=en-CA

I still don't  know what I need to do to license it it with an open license. Some help with that would be nice.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:15 am

Finally! Thanks for figuring that out!

First of all - the ending is WONDERFUL! Made me feel really good! (I won't tell anyone else and spoil the ending!)

We should have said Joomla! v 1.5 but we did not make that clear. There are some spots in the movie where it went to fast. You'll have old people watching, so, you have to go slow. ;)

I don't know how hard it would be for you, but if you were to redo the video for v 1.5 - going slower - what you would end up with is two great videos. But, you've waited a long time and this is very good. If you don't have time, I certainly accept this just as it is. If you are willing to do it again for J! v 1.5, it will be used!

Thank you for your patience - for working so hard - and for being such a pleasant person to work with. Please let me know what you think! If you upload your work, I'll mark it final - if you decide to do it for v 1.5, that would be wonderful, too.

mdranta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdranta » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:44 am

If I were to do it for v1.5, how much time would I be given?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:56 am

Plenty of time. If it turns out you were unable to do it, this would still be accepted as complete.

Completely up to you!

mdranta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdranta » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:42 pm

I have decided I will stick with this version. What do I do next? Where am I to upload this video?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:12 pm

Just upload it to your Google Task page. Also, include the URLs for [youtube] and Google Video. When it's posted, I'll mark the task as complete.

This is a GREAT video and I appreciate the hard work you have done to make it happen. It's going to get some action. You'll have to watch the "hits" to see what kind of viewing you get!

Thanks, again.

mdranta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdranta » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:28 pm

The video on Revver finally worked is the link http://revver.com/watch/598691 . Thank you all for being patient with me.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:43 am

Thanks so very, very much!  :-*

jmatt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: 055 - Create a Video demonstrating how to embed media into a

Post by jmatt » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:32 am

Sorry
I cannt download it?
I am so sad
hello all
WHY can not I download it??
BTW I am from CHINA
BECAUSE the GFW ?
Download popular free ebooks, classical free ebooks, new releases and more.http://www.ebook-x.com/
Home of online games, online game, flash games, free online game, free online games, flash game:http://www.online-flash-game.com/

karakuli
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 055 - Create a Video demonstrating how to embed media into a

Post by karakuli » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:30 pm

jmatt wrote:Sorry
I cannt download it?
I am so sad
hello all
WHY can not I download it??
BTW I am from CHINA
BECAUSE the GFW ?