063 - Create a document that a webmaster could give to a new Joomla! publisher

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

063 - Create a document that a webmaster could give to a new Joomla! publisher

Post by trombonechamp » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:56 pm

Hello, again!

The description of my task is:
Create a one to two page document that a webmaster could give to a new
Joomla! user who is a publisher.

The document should focus on back end content management, such as editing,
publishing, moving and archiving content. In addition, issues such as
checked out content, html editing and the use of readmore and pagebreak
should be explained.

Extra credit:
Create a document that explains the use of com_contact.

Create a document that explains the use of com_weblinks.
http://code.google.com/p/google-highly- ... %20Summary

My only two questions so far:
-Should this focus solely on back-end article management, or should it explain the use of parts of the front end as well?
-Who is my target audience, and how computer literate are they?

Thank you! :)
Max

EDIT: Wait, publishers cannot get into backend.  Is this for someone with admin privileges as well?
Last edited by AmyStephen on Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: 63 - Create a document that a webmaster could give to a new Joomla! publishe

Post by trombonechamp » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:52 am

My first draft is mostly done.  I would still like to add a few things on to the end (the extra credit), but this is most of what I will be doing.  I should be able to finish the first draft completely tomorrow.

Thank you, and Happy New Year!!!  :)

http://Bernsteinforpresident.com/joomlauserguide.odt

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 63 - Create a document that a webmaster could give to a new Joomla! publishe

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:58 am

Loved it when you grabbed this task.  8)

I made a few changes to the doc, plus I have these comments:

- Add Published state of Pending - orange/yellow - for content that is waiting for the date or for approval

- Probably the best description of Archived content I have read.  :pop

- I would also go into the work flow a bit, perhaps with an example. Joe is an author. He creates an ID, submits it. How does it get approved, etc.

- As far as publishing, I think it might be a good idea to also add a section for those who use the frontend that "the manager" is responsible for. How do they use Joomla!? And how does "the manager" interact with their work? In other words, go into work flow a bit, perhaps with an example. Joe is an author. He creates an ID, submits it. How does it get approved, etc.

Excellent start, but, who would expect anything less from you?

This is Elin's task and she will want to read through this, as well, since I know she has some ideas in mind, given all of her work with real "managers" of her sites.

Thanks for participating with us.
Amy :)

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: 63 - Create a document that a webmaster could give to a new Joomla! publisher

Post by drmmr763 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:12 am

Looks great, Max!
-Chad Windnagle
Please use the search feature as your question might already have been answered.

http://www.s-go.net/ ~ Website Hosting - Strategic Marketing - Website Development - Print Work

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:26 pm

made a few changes to the doc, plus I have these comments:
Thanks for the comments.  I am working on adding these.

I have one more question for you.  Did I find a bug?  Why is it that in the pagebreak and image screens, you have to scroll over?  Especially with the pagebreak one, the first screen that comes up looks like this. 
I have to scroll over to see more.  With the image screen, I just have to scroll over a little to the right to see the submit button. 
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 063 - Create a document that a webmaster could give to a new Joomla! publish

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:25 am

Yea, we don't like that, but I think they might be planning to fix that when the next release of Mootools is included.

So, for now, consider it a test in patience.  ;)

Thanks Max...Amy :)

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: 063 - Create a document that a webmaster could give to a new Joomla! publish

Post by trombonechamp » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:27 pm

Sorry it took so long.  I think I went overboard with my "1-2 page document" (it is 15  :o)  If it is too long, I will try to trim it down.
As far as publishing, I think it might be a good idea to also add a section for those who use the frontend that "the manager" is responsible for. How do they use Joomla!? And how does "the manager" interact with their work? In other words, go into work flow a bit, perhaps with an example. Joe is an author. He creates an ID, submits it. How does it get approved, etc.
I think I got this with that new section.  Let me know what you think.

http://BernsteinForPresident.com/joomlauserguide2.odt

Thanks!

EDIT:
- Add Published state of Pending - orange/yellow - for content that is waiting for the date or for approval
I forgot to ask you what you meant my this.  I didn't see anything turn orange or yellow when it was waiting for the publish date or approval.
Last edited by trombonechamp on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shantanubala
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shantanubala » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:02 am

I love this! Awesome explanation. It's not lengthy, but just right. It may lose people's interest after a certain point, but it is thorough. You may be able to make a summarized version later on, but I like it how it is. People would probably rather use it as a reference more than and introduction.

Great job,
Shantanu
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jkids/ Joomla! Kids - the Project aimed at making Joomla! more kid friendly!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:23 am

Thanks for adding the introduction of the groups.

Fabulous diagrams - numbered - icons in the numbered list of explanations.

In published status (page 4) add "pending" (when dates are not yet reached - or not yet approved)

Wonderful explanation of how to add articles - I've trained people - this WILL be helpful.

Polls, contacts, Links, the toobar 8).

Well written, very clear. I certainly believe this is ready to be shared. No reason to trim it down.

Thanks much, Max. Please post it on your Google Task and I will mark this work as complete.

You are fabulous to work with - thanks!

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:38 am

n published status (page 4) add "pending" (when dates are not yet reached - or not yet approved)
Is there a special icon for not yet approved?  I tried submitting articles as a normal user, but didn't see one.

Thanks!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:40 am

There is a yellow icon - look on the Article Manager page - at the bottom.

It says "Pending Published, but is Pending". Now that I am sitting here thinking - is that just if the date is in the future?

I haven't time to set up a test scenario right now - I think I'm wrong on this - if someone submits an article that must be approved, it's just unpublished, yes?

Your doc looks WONDERFUL - get it submitted to Google!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:59 am

Max - is this going to be posted on Google? Looking forward to finalizing this AMAZING work!

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:22 am

Sorry it took so long to upload this!  I had to find time to proofread it all again, because this task seemed to go by so quickly!

A special thanks to everyone, especially Amy for all her work here on the Joomla! forums, and Chad for the cool ? logo I used for the notes.

Also, I was just wondering if you were thinking of adding another "Create art the captures 'All Together, As a Whole'" issue.  I have a great idea for something I can do in Blender.

Thanks again!
Max

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:27 am

You are doing wonderful work! So appreciated! Wasn't trying to rush you - I just wanted to make certain you didn't think I was saying it needed more work. It's great! :-*

We just added 20 new tasks - 10 non-profit websites and 10 testing tasks (2 day tasks, we are hoping to be nearing Joomla! v 1.5 final SOON!).

We also reopened a couple tonight: Create a tri-fold brochure that answers the question "What is Joomla!?" and Write a document describing how to use CSS class suffixes in Joomla! 1.5..

So, probably no more new tasks this week.

Thanks so much!

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”