108 - Write a document explaining how to use the news flash module

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

108 - Write a document explaining how to use the news flash module

Post by tj.ferrell » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:44 pm

Hello again everyone! I am back once again, that is twice now you thought you were done with me  ;D. This time i have chosen to do a task that is different from all the others i have done so far (though not for lack of trying). :D
  One line summary

Write a document explaining how to use the news flash module to display a
random or rotating selection of texts.
Description

For this task you will help beginning users move beyond the basics to take
advantage of the flexibility of Joomla!.

People know that they can use the news flash module to display news, but it
is also very useful for displaying either random or rotating pieces of text
(such as quotations, jokes, or testimonials) that is stored in a single
category.

Create a one page document that describes how to use newsflash for this
purpose in Joomla! 1.5.
Skills Needed

* Familiarity with Joomla!
    * Good writing skills
    * Good page layout skills

Difficulty

Basic
Work Product

A one page polished document that effectively explains the process to a
beginning user.
Licensing

Documentation written for this task must be made available under the
Joomla! Electronic Documentation License.
Extra Credit (optional)

Post a copy of your text in the tips and tricks forum.

Create a second document that explains how to use random image module.
Time Limit

Two weeks
It seems that someone else already has started this task, i have been looking at there work and i like the style so my version will probaly be somewhat close. I have tons of free time today so i will try to have a draft up by tonight or at the latest tomorrow morning.

ps. Just in case you were worried i will NOT just copy his work, i will make my own, in his draft he was missing how to created a module for the news flash if you didn't include the demo data. And i would like to include more screen shots.
Last edited by mcsmom on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: 108 - Write a document explaining how to use the news flash module

Post by tj.ferrell » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:42 am

Ok sorry everyone, i was kidnapped yesterday by some friends to go to a movie, and today my mom decided to take down the Christmas decorations so i have not been able to keep my word and have it up yet, i have just finished getting all the screenshots i will need so i will start working on my first draft. The only question i have is, when you select a position there are two positions that i don't know were they go, breadcrumb position and the debug position ???. If someone could tell me where these go i would really appreciate it! Have a great weekend everyone!:)

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:34 pm

TJ, you can see all the module positions by going to the template manager, edit, and preview. That will show you all the module positions.
-Chad Windnagle
Please use the search feature as your question might already have been answered.

http://www.s-go.net/ ~ Website Hosting - Strategic Marketing - Website Development - Print Work

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:24 pm

Thank you! i never knew that, However doing that i still could not find were the breadcrumb or debug positions were, i see that breadcrumbs is a different module, is that why i am not seeing anything for that? And i am assuming debug is something that is used for debugging but does it apply to a news flash? Thanks!

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:50 pm

The reason that those positions aren't showing up, is probably because they don't exist in the template you are using. The module position names are there, but the template doesn't support them, thats why you don't see breadcrumb or debug. They don't exist. Debug is simply a position where an error message would commonly be told to appear if there was an error. It doesn't really have anything to do with 'debugging' your site.
-Chad Windnagle
Please use the search feature as your question might already have been answered.

http://www.s-go.net/ ~ Website Hosting - Strategic Marketing - Website Development - Print Work

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:03 pm

Thanks Chad that makes more sense! Here is my first draft, it was too large to include as a add on so i included the link below.

http://tj.ferrell.googlepages.com/downloadpage

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:52 pm

Can somebody review this for me please! I know it is not finished enough for a final review.

HELP!! :'(

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:45 pm

This is a great start. What I think you need to add is instructions that make it clear that the user needs to add an article for each joke (or whatever).

Maybe you could create 4-5 articles with jokes (or something) as examples and then include a screenshot showing the articles in the section/category (using the filter). 

I also think it might make more sense to start with creating the content in a new category, then create the module using that category.  The you could use consistent naming though out and when you display the results you can show the same content that you entered earlier.

In terms of the document, try to use a little more white space around the images.

:) I'm so happy you're doing this because how to do this is one of the most common questions I see.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:30 am

Ok will do! I'll have it done probably by tomorrow afternoon. As for the document i'm not 100% sure what you mean by whitespace but i am guessing you want more of what is around the part that i am talking about and so i will do! I am so glad what i am doing is helpful! I love being useful! ;D

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:29 pm

i am migrating to a mac today so i might be a little longer than i expected. Sorry! i don't have a definite time that i know i will have it up but it will be in the next few days. I will still try for today but if i don't make it thats why.

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:01 am

OK here is the second draft again i had trouble with the upload limit so i put it on my google page. I did a complete rewrite with new screen grabs, i don't know what i was thinking when i posted that post about not knowing what you wanted for the whitespace and i feel like an idiot  :-[. I added whitespace around the pictures, and added some jokes from wikipedia, worlds funniest jokes. Let me know what you think!  ;D

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:38 am

Hi TJ,

I like this, it makes more sense to me in this order. Some comments:

1. I wouldn't call it a newsfeed. That is really something different.
2. I think you should have a screen shot at the end that shows the results in the front end.
3. I think the title should be different, and more like the task title: how to use the news flash module to display a random or rotating selection of texts. (but not that wordy)    ... in other words the idea is to show that newsflash isn't just for posting big news items, it can also be used for this purpose, which doesn't have anything to do with news.
4. Still needs more white space. I would put blank lines after your headings and generally space things out more.

Elin
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:33 pm

Sounds Good! Give me a hour or two! And Thank You for a speedy response! ;D

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:36 pm

Ok, the changes are made! Thanks for your suggestions! I redid some of the screen shots so they didn't say newsfeed and changed everything to newsflash. Sorry for that i didn't realize i did that  :-[. I also added another step for checking the frontside. I underlined all the section titles and increased spacing to be 1.5, and increased whitespace around the pictures. Let me know what you want changed! ;D

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:52 am

oops, sorry i forgot to put the link up  :-[, here it is :laugh:

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:00 pm

Once again can somebody please review this, if i don't hear back in the next day i will provably put this up for a final review. Thanks everyone! ;D

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:30 am

I tracked changes in this odt.

http://BernsteinForPresident.com/newsflash.odt
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:04 pm

Call me a noob but i don't understand what you did in the newsflash.otd? f you could explain this it would be much appreciated!  ???

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:23 pm

TJ, I will try to read this tonight. :)

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:32 pm

If you go to edit->changes->Accept or reject, you should be able to accept or decline the changes that I made.  The only problem is it will use the version I looked at.  If you have made any changes to your original since then, it will be more difficult.  I think you can go to edit->changes->merge document and select your new document.  If this doesn't work, you can always go to edit->changes->show to see the things I have changed.

It is a great feature to use, especially when proofreading!
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:16 am

Tj,

I like it a lot.

A few points.

On your numbered lists you are sometimes getting an extra number. Try to get rid of those. Shift enter can usually help with that inside lists.

Under creating a category item , Instead of "named the title" say '"named the category."

I think using the position you have could be confusing because it almost looks like content. My suggestion is, make two more screen shots with the module in other positions and showing the other two jokes.

Nice work, this will be really useful. :)

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:21 am

Ok i will try to do that, i will be unavailable until monday, but i will try to have that done soon, and thanks for clarifying that trombone champ, i just migrated to a mac so that is the only copy i have on this machine. So i will be sure to take a look at that. Thanks everyone ! :laugh:

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:32 am

Sorry i am having trouble with installing php for my mac so i will be another day while so i can get those screen shots from my windows machine.  Sorry it is taking me so long!!! Thanks for being so patient with me! ;D

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:28 pm

Ok i finally fixed the problems with php and got Joomla! running properly, sorry for the delay! Here is the new draft and once again! If i could get someone to review this it would be much appreciated. I feel it is nearing completion so let me know what you think!
http://TJ.Ferrell.googlepages.com/downloadpage

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi Tj,

I think this is fine.  The only comment I have is that instead of saying the default template say the default milky way template. Go ahead and do one more final proof reading and upload at Google.

Nice work!

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:57 am

will do! i have a lot of schoolwork on me so i might not be able to do it until tomorrow night (sorry).

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:04 am

Hello i am sorry it has taken me so long, i have posted a link to the document on the task page, i must apologise the task attachment limit was already met so i was forced to host the document on my googlepage, sorry! I must also apologize, i cannot do any of the extra credit options :'( i have just started school and am busier than normal due to the FIRST robotics team i am a part of. I enjoyed working with you all it was fun, if you have anything else you want me to do please email me and i will try to take care of it as soon as possible. Thank you EVERYONE!!!  ;)

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:24 am

TJ,

Thank you for all you have done! I hope you will keep being part of the Joomla1 community, you have made important contributions!

Good luck with the robotics team!

Elin

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:16 am

i plan on continuing to be part of the Joomla comunity, already i have set up multiple sites with Joomla. My newest stite is for my virtual enterprise class, at www.adventureoutdoorscompany.com it is still under development but it is fun! Thank you all for giving me a chance to be so useful. ttyl! :D

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”