033 - Create a document explaining how to modify the default Template

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

033 - Create a document explaining how to modify the default Template

Post by drmmr763 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:13 am

http://code.google.com/p/google-highly- ... tail?id=33

Hello All! This is my fourth task. I will be working on completing task 033. The goal of this task is to create a document that explains how to modify the default Joomla! 1.5 template: Milkyway. Looking at what the task recommends, I expect there will be a lot of CSS editing. I've modified quite a few Joomla! templates, so I'm rather comfortable with this task so far. I do, however, have a couple questions about the first two specified modifications:

*Change the Color Variation of the Template.
*Change the Background Variation of the Template.

What, does this mean? Lol. I know how to change colors and such, but what does 'color variation' mean? Does this mean change the entire colors scheme? If someone could define that I'd be grateful.

I plan on including a small resource page at the end with links to some great color tools that I use frequently. I had planned on using Dreamweaver for editing the CSS. I know its not open source software, but I've used it for so long I'm comfortable with it. If it is preferred I use something else (Nvu/Kompozer) I can do that, too.

Thanks for allowing me to continue to participate in GHOP!
Last edited by AmyStephen on Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chad Windnagle
Please use the search feature as your question might already have been answered.

http://www.s-go.net/ ~ Website Hosting - Strategic Marketing - Website Development - Print Work

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 033 - Create a document explaining how to modify the default Template

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:43 am

Description
Explain how to navigate to the Template Manager in the backend
Administrator. Explain how to make each of these modifications to Joomla!'s
default Milkyway Template using step by step instructions:

* Change the Color Variation of the Template.
    * Change the Background Variation of the Template.
    * Change the Template Width.
    * Change the Header Image.
    * Change the favicon.
    * Remove the "Powered by Joomla!" link at the bottom of the page.
This is going to be MUCH easier than you might be thinking!  :pop

The first three are parameters in the Template Manager. Go in there - select Milkyway - on the right are listboxes to change those items. So, document those options.

Then Header Image - make something the same size - show how to replace the file. Alternative 2 - Make the image, show where to save it, show how to change the name in the index.php file.

Favicon. Show to make one of those (An internet site) - and where to save it to replace the one that comes w J!.

Powered by - at bottom of Index.php file.

There.

Those are the common things folks want to change. That will make MANY people happy to know how to do those things.

Notice - no CSS at all.

Thanks for taking this task,
Amy :)

PS - don't forget this!  8)
Provide a brief explanation why it is helpful to the Joomla! project to
keep the Powered by Joomla! link and encourage them community member to
display it proudly!

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:41 pm

Well since when did they make this new fangled thing so easy!? ;)

I'll try to produce something soon. :)
-Chad Windnagle
Please use the search feature as your question might already have been answered.

http://www.s-go.net/ ~ Website Hosting - Strategic Marketing - Website Development - Print Work

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:46 am

Alright! I just finished my first revision of this document. Anyone who cares to rip apart my grammar, spelling, and so on, feel free!

Download Revision 1 Here
-Chad Windnagle

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:42 am

Anyone who cares to rip apart my grammar, spelling, and so on, feel free!
There's my cue!  :laugh:

To perform some of the changes in this document you may need a File Transfer Protocal Client
(FTP Client).
Don't capitalize "Client"
Once you reach the Template Configuration settings, before you can change any of them, check to see if the
parameters file is writable. You must set this to 777.
Could be better phrased as:
"Before you change any of the settings in the Template Configuration, check to see if the parameters file is writable. You can do this by changing the file's permissions to 777"
Refer to the Joomla! forum (Joomla.org) for more information.
Isn't it forum.joomla.org?
The Template width setting changes the width of the template.
Don't capitalize "Template"
Customizing this template does not stop here, though.
"Though" sounds awkward here.  You may want to consider removing it.
Follow the steps outlined in the section of this document:
“Changing rhuk_milkyway's default configurations” to get to
rhuk_milkyway's configuration editing screen.
This could be better phrased as: "Follow the steps outlined in the 'Changing rhuk_milkeyway's default configurations' section of this document to get to rhuk_milkeyway's configuration editing screen."
Using an FTP Client, go to this
directory:
Again, don't capitalize "client"
The CSS editing screen will
display writable indicating that the file is now available for editing.
Put "writable" in quotes
...you can save the change to the
code by clicking the save button on the toolbar.
Put "save" in quotes
If you've done
all these things, then the new header [Joomla! logo] image should be appearing in the area that the previous
image was.
Did you mean to use the [] parentheses?
Many people like to change the favicon (favorite/bookmark image, it appears next to your URL in a browser's
URL input area).
-What favicon?  You should say either "..change their favicon..." or "...the favicon of their site..."
-should say "...favorite/bookmark image that appears next to..."
Usually its the Joomla! logo.
Wrong kind of "its".  Use "it's", meaning "it is"
I think there was something that said you couldn't include non-Joomla! urls.
Both of these allow you to browsefor an image, then upload it, where it is then resized, and then made available
for you to download, and then host on your own server as the favicon.
-"Browsefor" should be "browse for"
-This is a run-on sentence.  Split it into two or three.
This is the Joomla!
favicon file, and you should overwrite it. Once its been uploaded, you should go to your browser, and clear your
cache.
The style guide says you shouldn't be afraid to give commands instead of using "should".  This is how you change the favicon; these steps aren't optional.
Removing the “Powered By Joomla” Link – and Site Code Validators:
Shouldn't this be bold?
You
should feel proud to have site powered by Joomla!, as Joomla! has quite literally changed lives.
Oooh!  Good!  Add another sentence to expand on this, something like "are you embarrased about using Joomla!?"
When you are in the HTML editor, you're actually looking at PHP code, in fact, you are looking at the
template's index.php file.
Split this into two sentences at the second coma.
Once the line(s) have been removed, you can save the index.php file by clicking save on the Joomla! Toolbar.
Don't capitalize "Toolbar".

Also, on the note boxes, you should add some padding to the Joomla! logos.

Good job!  8)
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:31 pm

I corrected everything you listed except two things:
I think there was something that said you couldn't include non-Joomla! urls.
I know you're right. Amy did say to use an internet site, though:
Show to make one of those (An internet site) - and where to save it to replace the one that comes w J!.
Amy? Would you like to clarify on this?
Yeah it is, but I didn't expect people to understand the subdomain concept. They can just go to Joomla.org and click the forum link.

Updated Download Link
Last edited by drmmr763 on Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chad Windnagle

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:47 pm

Yeah it is, but I didn't expect people to understand the subdomain concept. They can just go to Joomla.org and click the forum link.
-Hate that!  "Go to mail.google.com" "Okay, [email protected]" "No, mail.google.com" "www.mail.google.com>:( 
Anyway, I think your audience should know what a subdomain is.  Would someone who can use an FTP client fluently and understand the phrase "find the next div" really not know what a sub-domain is?  If you are firm against putting a sub-domain in there, at least add "once you get there, click on the forum link at the top of the page." to that section.

-You should add some padding to the pictures, esp. to figure 7, 9, and 10.
Example of the
Color Variation
Setting's effect on modules
-Don't put "Settings" in italics, and don't capitalize it.
-Also, you should separate this from the rest of the text; it seems to blend together with it.
This image is in PNG format, the reason for this is
because it is transparent.
Split this into two sentences at the comma.
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:13 am

-Hate that!  "Go to mail.google.com" "Okay, [email protected]" "No, mail.google.com" "www.mail.google.com"  Angry
Anyway, I think your audience should know what a subdomain is.  Would someone who can use an FTP client fluently and understand the phrase "find the next div" really not know what a sub-domain is?  If you are firm against putting a sub-domain in there, at least add "once you get there, click on the forum link at the top of the page." to that section.
I found a happy medium. I put: http://forum.joomla.org. Hopefully people will get the idea. I fixed everything else you pointed out, too.

Updated Linky
-Chad Windnagle

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:30 am

As I've not received any responses for corrections or additions, I would like to make a final annoucement on this task as to give people an opportunity to comment. The claiming period ends in a week, so I'd like to get my hands on one more task before the contest ends!

Probably tomorrow, if I don't hear anything back from all you nice people, I'll call for a final review so as to expedite the review process and claim another task and get moving on it so as to finish it in time.
-Chad Windnagle

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:24 pm

Chad -

This looks like a professional did this! Look at those Main Menus lined up to show the color variation! Wow!  :P

The way you highlight important information - circle it - number the figures - use minimal words - somehow maintain a friendly, upbeat voice amongst the technical jargon.

This is another one of those pieces that will get use, over and over and over. For most people, changing these minor things is all they need to do. Now, you've made it easy.

I uploaded your work to the [url=http://033%20-%20Create%20a%20document%20explaining%20how%20to%20modify%20the%20default%20Template.zip]JoomlaPlace[/url]site since we are still having space problems and marked this work as closed.

Thanks again for your contributions to our community - you rock!
Amy :)

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:31 pm

Amy,
Thank you so much for taking some time you review this. Even more so, thank you for your compliments. They are the greatest encouragement.

I'll see if I can grab just one more task before the 22nd!
-Chad Windnagle

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”