080 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Not for Profit Organizati

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
yuri41
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

080 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Not for Profit Organizati

Post by yuri41 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:28 pm

Create an attractive tri-fold brochure using OpenOffice Writer that shows
how Joomla! is used by Not for Profit Organizations all around the world.

Good source for finding appropriate systems is a Google Search or using the
http://JoomlaPlace.org examples.

Skills Needed

* Good communication skills.
* Creativity.
* Good Public Relations Skills.
* Good Open Office Writer and communication skills.

Difficulty

Basic.

Work Product

Attractive tri-fold that could be used by Not for Profit Organizations to
learn and show others how Joomla! can be used for that purpose. Use Joomla!
logo and color scheme http://www.joomla.org/content/view/259/70/ .

Licensing

Documentation written for this task must be made available under the
Joomla! Electronic Documentation License.

Extra Credit (Optional)

Interview site owners and include their comments on Joomla!.

About me:
My name is Christoph Hochstrasser, I'm a student from austria and 17 years old. I'm working with PHP for about a half year and very interested in opensource. I'm using opensource on my computer (ubuntu 7.10) and I'm developing my own opensource project (http://cakeforge.org/projects/eventportal).
Last edited by AmyStephen on Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 80 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Not for Profit Organiz

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:08 am

Christoph  -

Welcome to Joomla!. Event Portal looks very, very cool. Should make a very nice little social networking platform. When you get it further complete, we will have to figure out how to integrate it with Joomla!.

Thanks for taking this tri-fold. Not for Profit Organizations frequently take advantage of open source solutions, in part because of the reduced cost, but I also believe they see the value in community approaches and in free / open source software. Reaching out to these people is important.

There are a number of tri-fold entries and I encourage you to review the responses in those threads and take a look at those entries. Then, I also encourage you to share your results every few days and encourage feedback from others. This is the type of task that gets better with more involvement.

Good luck!
Amy :)

yuri41
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 080 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Not for Profit Organizati

Post by yuri41 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:40 pm

First: I'm looking forward to finish EventPortal till may 2008 and I made plans for an API (I'm still not sure about a protocol)

Now I have christmas holidays, so I have time to work on the brochure every day and I'm going to post my progress here regularly.

with best regards
Christoph Hochstrasser

yuri41
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 080 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Not for Profit Organizati

Post by yuri41 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:48 am

I read the Brand Manual and I noticed that I haven't any Helvetica Font installed.
Could somebody tell me where I find one?

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: 080 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Not for Profit Organi

Post by trombonechamp » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:38 pm

I read the Brand Manual and I noticed that I haven't any Helvetica Font installed.
Halvetica is the same thing as Arial. (or DejaVu sans, if you use GNU/Linux)
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:09 pm

You can find all kinds of info about the Joomla! logo here:

http://www.joomla.org/content/view/259/70/

you can even download high res Joomla! logo's there.
-Chad Windnagle
Please use the search feature as your question might already have been answered.

http://www.s-go.net/ ~ Website Hosting - Strategic Marketing - Website Development - Print Work

yuri41
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yuri41 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:42 pm

Thanks a lot

yuri41
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yuri41 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:43 pm

Here is the first version of my brochure "Joomla! for not for profit organizations"

odt:
http://yuri41.kilu.de/app/webroot/files ... ochure.odt
pdf:
http://yuri41.kilu.de/app/webroot/files ... ochure.pdf

I'm looking forward to get some feedback.

And one question:
Should I post this also to the issue on the GHOP Contest Page of Joomla?

with best regards
Christoph Hochstrasser
Last edited by yuri41 on Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: 080 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Not for Profit Organi

Post by trombonechamp » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:33 pm

The name Joomla! is the English spelling of
the Swahili word jumla
which is meaning “all
together”. Joomla! is a
-Does John Doe need to know this?
Your Advantages
-Change this to just "Advantages"
...for not for profit organizations
-change all instances of "not for profit" to the more common "nonprofit"
-I love that picture on the title page!!!
Joomla! is mainly developed by the core
team, who are responsible for Project
Managing tasks. The core team contains
currently sixteen members, moving the
development on Joomla! forward.
-Change to:
Joomla! is mainly developed by the core
team.  The core team is responsible for the project
management tasks.  The core team currently contains
sixteen members, and help move the development of
Joomla! forward.
Joomla! is ideally for
-Joomla! is ideal for
With using Joomla! you are
-should be "When you use Joomla!, you are"
The other benefit of using Joomla! is, that we
give you a software which is powerful and
flexible on the one hand, and very easy to
use on the other hand.
-Change to:
The other benefit of using Joomla! is the fact that we
give you a software which is powerful and
flexible, as well as very easy to
use.
-PHP, (X)HTML, and CSS are scripting languages.  If you were to say "HTML programming" to a true hacker, you would be laughed at.
-One thing you may want to do with the "Who uses Joomla!?" section is focus in on one (or maybe two) nonprofit organizations.  Send an email to the webmaster and do a quick interview.  Just mention that you are on the Joomla! team.  He/she should give you enough info to write a little blurb about why he/she chose Joomla!, and how it has helped him/her.

Should I post this also to the issue on the GHOP Contest Page of Joomla?
Only your final document, after it has gone through the final review.

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:58 pm

On the right, where you have the web links, see if you can get the links that have parts of the web address on the next line to be all on one line. I would suggest removing the 'http://www' from the links. This has been recommended to other people doing brochures.

The green...yeah...Not sure I'm down with the green. The primary thing I see that I dislike is that on the center fold, on the first page, you can't see the 'because open source matters' at all. Green isn't a good choice in this case.
-Chad Windnagle
Please use the search feature as your question might already have been answered.

http://www.s-go.net/ ~ Website Hosting - Strategic Marketing - Website Development - Print Work

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:42 pm

The green...yeah...Not sure I'm down with the green. The primary thing I see that I dislike is that on the center fold, on the first page, you can't see the 'because open source matters' at all. Green isn't a good choice in this case.
About what Chad said: This probably isn't the best spot for color.  You should use as little color as possible, so it is cheaper to print, but color is needed to make it visually appealing.  This amount of color is okay, but the back is the place where no one pays attention to.  So if you are going to use that much color, make sure it is in a place where people are going to see it, like on the front or first panel.

yuri41
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yuri41 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:57 pm

Thank you very much for your feedback. I contacted the site administrator of some pages, it took some time,
and Sarah Sonne, who made gmrcanada.com wrote so much that I have to focus on that one.

I've also removed the green back of the brochure and corrected that what you suggested.
I let the first paragraph "What is Joomla!?" as it is, because I think some very short background information about Joomla is necessary.

Here the links to the updated version of the brochure:

I think, the brochure is ready for final review.

with best regards
Christoph Hochstrasser
Last edited by yuri41 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:13 pm

-People like pictures.  In my opinion, there is too much text.  If there is too much text, it will overwhelm people and they will not listen to what you have to say.  See if you can edit some of it down so you can fit more pictures.
-I love that updated GMR Canada column!
-Don't forget the "!" after Joomla! :)

yuri41
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yuri41 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:59 pm

I added the missing "!" and some pictures.

The download urls are still the same.

with best regards
Christoph Hochstrasser

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:11 pm

The pictures really lighten the brochure up, but is there any way you can add some padding around them?  The text is running into the pictures.  Also, it would look nice if you floated some of the pictures to the right instead of floating them all to the left.

Other than those, it looks great!!!  ;D

yuri41
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yuri41 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:37 pm

Floated some pictures to the right and added padding around all pictures.

@trombonechamp:
You helped me a lot with your feedback, thank you very much for that.

I think now the brochure is ready for final review (task is running out tomorrow)

Download urls:

with best regards
Christoph Hochstrasser
Last edited by yuri41 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yuri41
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yuri41 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:20 pm

My Task is ready for final review.

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:11 pm

I love it it looks great, however you put
©2007 Christoph Hochstrasser
as your licensing i believe it was supposed to be published under the Joomla! Electronic documentation license. But i like what you have done!

yuri41
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yuri41 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:38 am

Thank you I forgot about that.
However: Licensing is not copyright.
I think the way you license something does not  influence the copyright.
Read in the GPL the section where is written, how to apply the license to software (I think JEDL is not so different).
And the copyright itself, is mainly formal.

with best regards
Christoph Hochstrasser
Last edited by yuri41 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:57 am

Change:
Do you need help? At the Joomla! forums, we are pleased to help you with your issues.
To:
Do you need help? At the Joomla! forums, community members help one another.
Change:
The name Joomla! is the English spelling of the Swahili word jumla which is meaning “all together”. Joomla! is a Content Management System (CMS) which originated from Mambo (another open source CMS).
To:
The name Joomla! is the English spelling of the Swahili word jumla which is meaning “all together”. Joomla! is a Content Management System (CMS) licensed using the GPL.
Change:
Joomla! is mainly developed by the core team. The core team is responsible for the project management tasks. The core team currently contains sixteen members, and help move the development of  Joomla! forward.
To:
Joomla! is powered by the Joomla! community. The core team is responsible for the project management tasks. Working Groups help move the development of Joomla! forward.
Instead of core picture, include working group structure.

Change:
The other benefit of using Joomla! is the fact that we give you a software which is powerful and flexible, as well as very easy to
use.
To:
The other benefit of using Joomla! is the Model View Controller application architecture which is powerful and flexible, as well as very easy to use.
Change:
The very easy to use extensions system provided by Joomla! gives you
To:
The Joomla! Extensions Directory (JED) gives you thei
We made a decision to not include any URLs in the tri-folds so please remove http://www.gmrcanada.com. Also we would like to show at least three different sites - so it doesn't look like a promotion for one site. In this case, since it's not for profit, two would be fine.

Glad you picked Sarah's site - it is fabulous and they are doing good work in Africa.

I realize I am showing a number of edits. But, this is a very good entry and will be used a lot. Thanks!

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:16 am

We made a decision to not include any URLs in the tri-folds so please remove http://www.gmrcanada.com. Also we would like to show at least three different sites - so it doesn't look like a promotion for one site. In this case, since it's not for profit, two would be fine.
If you need any idea's of NFP sites that use Joomla!, I built this one about 2 months ago:
http://www.musicansforworldharmony.org
-Chad Windnagle

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:18 am

That is another excellent choice. Make certain not to include the URL, as I said, but certainly a nice candidate.

Thanks Chad!

yuri41
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yuri41 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:39 pm

Thank you Amy for your Feedback.

Although I've one problem: I have'nt enough space to pick up another NFP, and no idea where to take the space from.

I could put the advantages to the back and the "why use joomla!" to the inside flap, but I don't know if this is a good idea.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:41 am

Yea - you'll have to cut some text somewhere. It's always hard to do, I know. But, in a trifold, probably don't need a whole page dedicated to one site. I'd cut that in half to add room for one more. Don't forget - it's not about the example website, itself, it's about "possibilities" - so, the more options you show, the better.

You'll get it! Thanks!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:27 am

yuri41 -

I went ahead and accepted your work, as complete, without the requested changes.

Hope you are well. Thanks for your contribution to our community!

yuri41
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yuri41 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:46 am

I made the changes, but I had much to do in the last weeks (lots of tests in school).
I have no second nfp organization, I wrote to some site admins through their contact form, but maybe they don't read
their mails ???

Anyway.
you accepted my task :)

It was great to work with you

If I find time for it, I will take another task

with best regards
Christoph Hochstrasser

yuri41
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yuri41 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:10 am

I had no chance to post to the issue in google code, Do I get my T-Shirt anyway?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:08 pm

You can still post your changes to the issue queue. Thanks!

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”