2 joomla sites 1 DataBase

General questions relating to Joomla! There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
skippy_kaz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

2 joomla sites 1 DataBase

Post by skippy_kaz » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:37 pm

Hi,
does anyone know how to run 2 joomla sites off 1 database but only having 1 of the joomla sites read the contents items only and no more?

Hope you can help
Skippy

jvezina
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: 2 joomla sites 1 DataBase

Post by jvezina » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:03 pm

hmmmm, you can have two joomla's running in one db by using a different table prefix.  If you're going to try it, I'd change the prefix of both, that way if something isn't using the prefix properly, it'll tell you by erroring out.

Doing this would mean you'd have two completely separate sites running though.

Without changing the core code, you could use one site for all updates, and then run a cron job at night to recreate all the content in the second site.

If I think of anything else, I'll add post it.

jim
Jim
website design, development, hosting and search engine optimization
http://www.IndustryWebHost.com

skippy_kaz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by skippy_kaz » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:54 pm

Cool thank you jim, i'll give it a try  :pop

Skippy

InnerFlash
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by InnerFlash » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:30 pm

I know it's a stupid statement but just in case someone misses that, you'd have to use two different directories.
jvezina wrote: Without changing the core code, you could use one site for all updates, and then run a cron job at night to recreate all the content in the second site.
Just be careful not to be punished by Google on the basis of duplicated content. Google indexes everything, but it could choose not to index too, or make you look bad. Their algorithms are tricky, just avoid duplicated content whenever possible. They hate it.

That might be possible by having "index, follow" on the main site and "noindex, nofollow" on the other.
Web Design & Graphic Design in Oslo, Norway: Dreamyguy.com

sdae07
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by sdae07 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:17 am

hmmmm, you can have two joomla's running in one db by using a different table prefix.  If you're going to try it, I'd change the prefix of both, that way if something isn't using the prefix properly, it'll tell you by erroring out.
How do you do this exactly?  I think this is a question I've been trying to get answered but I don't have the code savvy to understand what you just said.  Could you show in code how to use a different table prefix?  Thanks... :-[

jvezina
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jvezina » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:57 am

Keep in mind what InnerFlash said.  Google will rank your sites low for having duplicate content.  With that in mind, here goes the answer to your question just to have it out here in the forum, but please read the entire response.

Install your first Joomla in directory A.  During the install, you can define what you want the table prefix to be.

Install your second Joomla in directory B. During the install, be sure you use the same database configuration but a different table prefix.

OK that doesn't sound too bad.  But now comes the really hard part (if you don't have a coding background).  You'll need to dive into the code and set it up so it'll read/write all the content to the same set of tables.

Based on your previous message, I'm thinking this isn't something you want to do.  It'll take some serious work within Joomla to get all the sections/categories/articles all working properly.

Perhaps you can let us know what you're trying to do and there might be another option.
Jim

sdae07
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by sdae07 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:36 am

Hey, thanks for taking the time to respond.  Wow, isn't there an easier solution?  ???  Perhaps some special software or something?

jvezina
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jvezina » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:17 am

Actually I had a thought.  You could have one site as the "master" where all content is placed.  Syndicate this site.

Then the second site would get the feeds from the first.

Probably not exactly what you were looking for, but it's probably the easiest way to do it.
Jim

sdae07
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by sdae07 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:31 am

Well, it's worth a try anyway, just to see what kind of results I get.  Now how exactly do syndicate a site? :'(

jvezina
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jvezina » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:20 am

sorry, but I don't recall how.  From a vague memory, it seemed like it didn't take much, but of course it's always where does that little bit of work go.
Jim

sdae07
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by sdae07 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:14 am

Well that was a tease. :P  I guess I'll play around and see if I can find something.  thanks...

Alv-K
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Alv-K » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:20 am

Glad that I found this page.
First of all, I am running 2 joomla sites linking to ONE database.
1st site --> General Classifieds
2nd site --> Property Classifieds

I wish to display only property related classifieds on my 2nd site, is that possible?

Because whatever changes that I make from one site, it will appear the same on the other.

Thanks

Alv-K
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Alv-K » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:24 am

Another thought, may be I can have separate databases for my 2 sites, whatever new post or changes on my property related classifieds (2nd sites) will update the respective fields on my 1st general classifieds site.

Easier or possible?

amorosso
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by amorosso » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:19 pm

i have two sites and would like to use one data base. But the two sites are completely different. What I'm trying to do is keep and maintain the users on both nothing else.

I mean I know that I can just use the one DB but then what ever I change in one will change in the other, right ?

So more less less I'm trying to duplicate the one site, but by making it more kid friendly then the other. Does anyone one know how I can do this... Thank you..

SkyBlade
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SkyBlade » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:16 pm

I know I'm picking up an old thread here, but I'm seeking this same solution. I need two sites to run off the same database. My two will be hosted in the same place, perhaps one in a subdirectory, and they will pull from just one DB so I don't have to update both.

Anyone ever find a solution on this?

dvaedc3
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dvaedc3 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:15 am

one easiest solution is to host one website to a subdomain and syndicate it. thats what i did. on the other hand, hire a web developer to develop your website. ;)
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

polyrhythm
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by polyrhythm » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:57 pm

does anyone know how to run 2 joomla sites off 1 database but only having 1 of the joomla sites read the contents items only and no more?
Why would you want to do this anyway? What are you trying to achieve?

Agli
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Agli » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:28 am

Im interested in learning alot more about Joomla. I am more familiar with other CMS but I would love to learn some things about Joomla so we can provide our clients with better web designs services.

jay23
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jay23 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks for your information.It is very useful.
***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****__
Taylormade Burner 2.0
Titleist 910 D2 driver
callaway x24 hot irons

jay23
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jay23 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:37 am

appreciate your topic.thank you very much
***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****__
Taylormade Burner 2.0
Titleist 910 D2 driver
callaway x24 hot irons

Conger
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Conger » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:35 pm

I would still like a response to this. Using the search tool, this post is definitely unique. We need more topics for this question, the answer would definitely benefit my http://www.premereautodetail.com website. Thanks for all the other helpful info though.
Last edited by Per Yngve Berg on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed link. Only direct links are allowed. See forum rules.

Return to “General Questions - 1.0.x”