095 - Write a document describing the extension parameter types available and...

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

095 - Write a document describing the extension parameter types available and...

Post by Marieke92 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:45 am

My final - and 8th task :)

http://code.google.com/p/google-highly- ... tail?id=95
One line summary
Write a document describing the extension parameter types available and how
to use them.

Description
The document should begin by explaining what extension parameters are and
provide a simple illustration of parameters in use. The student should then
describe how and where to place parameter definitions in extension XML
files and how to access parameter values in PHP during extension execution.
Having listed the available parameter types in brief, the student should
then provide a complete reference to each type including the XML syntax
required and annotated screenshots to show their effect.

The document should comply with current Joomla! Editorial Style Guidelines
and guidelines for the Template Tutorials Project.

Documentation written for this task must be made available under the
Joomla! Electronic Documentation License.

Skills Needed
Some prior knowledge of PHP and XML would be useful.

Difficulty
Basic.

Work Product
Document as described above.

Extra Credit (optional)
Describe how custom parameter types can be added.

Check the wiki API reference for all the classes and methods referred to in
the document and suggest additions and improvements that could be made. For
example, class/method descriptions, cross-references, code samples, etc).

Check the Joomla! source code for the classes and methods referred to in
the document and suggest additions and improvements that could be made to
the phpdoc tags.

Time Limit
2 weeks.

Task claimed: 20th of January
Task due: 4th of February

I'll first finish/improve this article from the doc-camp: http://docs.joomla.org/Using_the_core_parameter_types
(yeah..busy with the doc-camp as well :) )
Then I'll make a new article, with parts from the Using the Core parameter types article, and some other parts.

Should I use the Joomla!1.5 test package from Google Code?

Marieke
Last edited by AmyStephen on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetz, Marieke
Joomla! Documentation Working Group | Joomla! Bug Squad Member | Joomla! Development Working Group
1.6 Help Screen Project Leader
Joomla!Community (Dutch Community) Documentation Team leader

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 095 - Write a document describing the extension parameter types available an

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:47 am

Good for you!

The nightly downloadwill be best.

I hope you are having fun as you do good things for this community; I know we are having fun watching you do your thing!

Amy :)

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: 095 - Write a document describing the extension parameter types available and...

Post by Marieke92 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:52 am

Thanks! I'll use that one then.

And of course I'm having fun! :) Otherwise I wouldn't do this, don't you think? ;)
Greetz, Marieke
Joomla! Documentation Working Group | Joomla! Bug Squad Member | Joomla! Development Working Group

MiCCAS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: 095 - Write a document describing the extension parameter types available an

Post by MiCCAS » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:56 am

Marieke92 wrote: Thanks! I'll use that one then.

And of course I'm having fun! :) Otherwise I wouldn't do this, don't you think? ;)
And as we discussed when you go to Google HQ you're going to bring us back photos.. AREN"T YOU!! :P

I still think Amy should go too. She's been our guardian hasn't she?
MiCCAS.net Free PC Services

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:50 am

Amy has to go for sure!
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:50 am

I'll be honest, here. The *prize* aspect of this program is my least favorite piece and it has been weighing heavy on me lately.

In a community, we share our gifts and benefit from the gifts of others. I was really honored to be asked to participate in the GHOP. There is a simple reason I have been in this forum area the most. It is because I am not as involved in many other aspects of Joomla! as others are on our team. For me, it is an honor to be called to serve. The team is tight behind the scenes. Everyone is involved - we talk and strategize frequently. We all have different roles.

This past week, all of us have been focusing on testing Joomla! v 1.5 so that one day soon, we can set it free to do good things in the world. That's why we have been so silent.

When you think about Joomla! v 1.5 being released, it's easy to think that this victory belongs only to the three main lead developers, Louis, Johan and Andrew, but they could not have done this alone. There was an enormous team of developers who have tested and laid code and created patches. But, even they could not have done it alone! There is an army of people who have assisted in the forums, there are documentation writers, translators, event planners, the President of OSM, mcsmom, herself, User's Groups, Joomla! Day events, etc., etc. There is simply no way you could say one person is to be congratulated on that release. It took everyone's combined efforts, each giving where they could, what they could, without expectation, to make it happen.

We all get Joomla!, free as in liberty and free of charge. No one even has to contribute to "earn" their own copy. But, what you get when you give a little bit of yourself you can't put a price on, the learning, the friendships, the self awareness, the joy at being even a small part of something so noble. Let alone all of the late nights and too much work for absolutely no pay at all!

The same is true with our GHOP group. There have been so many huge contributors - big results that will positively impact this community - code written - tutorials - documentation - translations - videos - web sites.  How would you ever measure what was more important, let alone who?  It's impossible. It's silly, even. What good would one person or one thing do us? We need this collective effort and many gifts to make good things happen!

I do not know who will go from the contestant side or from the GHOP judges side. What I do know, is this. Whomever goes will have an enormous responsibility because they will have to embody our GHOP community that we have each helped to start here and they will have to represent each proud community member and keep that positive and fun spirit moving forward. That will be the biggest task of all.

It's never about one person, it's always about what is good for the project and what we can collectively produce and share with everyone else.

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: 095 - Write a document describing the extension parameter types available and...

Post by Marieke92 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:30 pm

Hi,

GHOP was, and still is, very special to me and many other contestants.
It's accessible for every one, and caused that the contestants were/are creating things of what they perhaps didn't thought they could ever realize at all. For example: at the beginning of GHOP I didn't even knew what a unit test plan was, how to create documents and also I didn't knew anything about coding, PHP. Now I know it, I'm still improving my skills. Because of the enormous Joomla! community, the feedback, the complete API, the help documents, the forum.. I was able to complete my tasks. I really love it to get all positive comments on what I'm doing. I learn from all feedback I get. GHOP caused I know Joomla! (especially 1.5) very well now. I'm able to answer lots of questions about Joomla! 1.5, and help out other (Dutch) community members.

I remember starting with GHOP. I thought it was all about coding, nothing for me. I took a closer look at it, and found out it was also about translating, documenting, testing, and many other things. Asked for permission from my parents, they thought I was a bit crazy ("why should you do work for others..?"), but I just decided to translate the Installation Manual, and thought that would just be it. I absolutely loved it, doing this kind of community work. When there was another translation task available, I claimed it, as soon as possible. I learned a lot of translating the important blogs about 1.5. I really loved the comments, and wanted to continue with GHOP. There were no translation tasks left, and the creating of Unit Test Plans seemed to me as very useful, with the upcoming 1.5 release. Created 2 of them, and then started testing 2 others. I still loved the community, and wanted to continue with GHOP. I claimed the module for Digg List Stories.. my first module! It was difficult to start, but after some troubles I got the 'feeling' for it and so I was able to end it 'easily'. Because there's more than GHOP, I started to work on making documentation for the doc-camp. I really enjoyed - and still do - all the chats at the IRC, and so others helped me, and I tried to help others as well.

Yeah, my parents still think I'm crazy. They think it's strange I'm not doing the work for the money at all. "So.. what do you get for it??".. A very good feeling would be the only correct answer. And a GHOP t-shirt.
I like it so much to come in contact with the wonderful Joomla! community in this way. Didn't knew before it would be this great to contribute to the Joomla! community. I will continue with contributing to Joomla!, of course.

I think it would be very, very, very difficult to say who is the 'winner'. You guys have to deal with the most difficult task within GHOP: to choose one of the students as a winner. How could you?.. GHOP is such an enormous project, and lots of students were so great dealing with their tasks, sharing it, trying to learn from the feedback.

I'd like to thank the whole GHOP team, the developers, the testers, the translators, the document writers, actually, I'd like to thank the whole Joomla! community, without them, or better, without us, Joomla! didn't exist!
Greetz, Marieke

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:24 pm

Thank you, Marieke. That was wonderful.

shantanubala
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shantanubala » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:09 am

Hey Marieke, as you probably already know, I was the one who started the wiki page for the core parameters in the Doc Camp.

Although you probably already have everything under control, if you need any help, go ahead and ask me. My knowledge isn't too extensive with core parameters, but I know a little bit, and will be happy to help if I can.

Good luck!
-Shantanu
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jkids/ Joomla! Kids - the Project aimed at making Joomla! more kid friendly!

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:32 pm

Just started (yeah.. I was a bit busy with the Stable release :) ), by making an xml-file containing all core parameters. I can't documentate anything when I don't understand by myself ;)
This is the xml file:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<install type="module" version="1.0.0">
<name>Testing Core Parameters</name>
<creationDate>25-01-2008</creationDate>
<author>Marieke van der Tuin</author>
<license>GNU/GPL</license>
<description>Testing the core parameters</description>
	<params>
		<param name="calendar" type="Calendar" default="5-10-2008" label="Calendar" description="" format="%d-%m-%Y"  />
		<param name="category" type="Category" label="Category" description="" section="3"  />
		<param name="editors" type="Editors" label="Editors" description=""  />
		<param name="filelist" type="Filelist" default="css_f2.png" label="Filelist" description="" directory="images" filter="css" exclude=	".htm" stripext="_"  />
		<param name="folderlist" type="Folderlist" default="" label="Folderlist" description="" directory="administrator" filter="" exclude="language"  />
		<param name="helpsites" type="Helpsites" default="local" label="Helpsites" description=""  />
		<param name="hidden" type="Hidden" default="" label="Hidden" description="" />
		<param name="imagelist" type="Imagelist" default="unpublish_f2.png" label="Imagelist" description="" directory="images" exclude=".jpg" stripext="_"  />
		<param name="languages" type="Languages" default="" label="Languages" description="" directory="" client="" />
		<param name="list" type="List" default="" label="List" description=""  >
			<option value="0">1</option>
			<option value="1">2</option>
		</param>
		<param name="menu" type="Menu" default="" label="Menu" description="" />
		<param name="menuitem" type="MenuItem" default="" label="MenuItem" description="" />
		<param name="password" type="Password" default="" label="Password" description="" size="5"  />
	</params>
	<params group="advanced">
	<param name="radio" type="Radio" default="0" label="Radio" description=""  >
			<option value="0">1</option>
			<option value="1">2</option>
		</param>
		<param name="section" type="Section" default="" label="Section" description=""  query="" />
		<param name="spacer" type="Spacer" default="" label="" description="" />
		<param name="sql" type="SQL" default="" label="SQL" description="" format="" />
		<param name="text" type="Text" default="default" label="Text" description="" size="10"  />
		<param name="textarea" type="Textarea" default="default" label="Textarea" description="" rows="5" cols="10"  />
		<param name="timezones" type="Timezones" default="-10" label="Timezones" description="" />
	</params>
</install>
Only got 2 problems with it..

1. The SQL type doesn't work; it shows an empty drop-down list. I got this error:

Warning: current() [function.current]: Passed variable is not an array or object in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\Joomla\libraries\joomla\html\html\select.php on line 68

(testing on localhost)
I think the input should be different, but can't find anywhere what it should be.

2. The Language type doesn't work as well. It shows an empty drop-down list as well. I got these errors:
JFolder::folder: Path is not a folder \language

Warning: constant() [function.constant]: Couldn't find constant JPATH_ in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\Joomla\libraries\joomla\html\parameter\element\languages.php on line 52

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\Joomla\libraries\joomla\language\language.php on line 704

Think I made a mistake somewhere.. but yeah.. where?..

I'll start documenting the other 17 parameters, and hopefully some one knows what I'm doing wrong with the 2 parameters which fail.

Thanks,
Marieke
Greetz, Marieke

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:54 pm

The language - parameter works right now, with this code:
[php]
[/php]

Still struggling with the sql - parameter..

Marieke

-----

Can some one have a look at my draft1 version?
Is this what you expect?

I'll continue adding the other 18 parameters to the file :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Marieke92 on Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetz, Marieke

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:00 pm

I think it looks great.  The only thing I saw was a formatting issue with one of the frames, but this is just a difference of OS fonts.  I still haven't written any extensions ( :'(), but when I finally decide to this looks like it is going to be an invaluable resource.

Keep up the good work!  8)
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:53 pm

Thanks! :)
I'm halfway now, so draft2 is added.
Parameters to go are: Language, List, Menu, Menu item, Password, Radio, Section, Spacer, SQL, Text, Text area and Time zones.

Again this question: Does some one know how the parameter SQL works? :)

Marieke
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greetz, Marieke

kdevine
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kdevine » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:34 am

Marieke92 wrote: Again this question: Does some one know how the parameter SQL works? :)
The SQL parameter gives a developer the ability to create their own dynamically generated select list. One would build a param tag in the xml file very similar to any of the others but with an additional attribute 'query' with a full SQL query as it's value.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:44 am

Marieke -

This is looking great! I am, personally, looking forward to having this document ready. Can you imagine it on a Quick Reference Card?

Good stuff!

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:01 pm

Hi,

Draft 3 can be downloaded here: http://mariekevandertuin.nl/draft3_coreparameters.pdf
(it's too big to add as an attachment)
All descriptions, screenshots and XML implentations are added.
Tomorrow I'll finish it by adding the last 9 PHP implementations.

And then I forgot something... because I still can't get the SQL parameter working right.
Thanks for your reply though, kdevine.
This doesn't work:

<param name="sql" type="SQL" default="" label="SQL" description="" >
<option query="">1</option>
<option query="">2</option>
</param>
And this neither:

<param name="sql" type="SQL" default="" label="SQL" description="" >
<query="">1</option>
<query="">2</option>
</param>
Can some one please help me out with that?
Do you know how it works exactly, kvdevine?

And one thing: Amy, you've been very productive today!!! 8) (and Elin as well of course)

Marieke
Last edited by Marieke92 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetz, Marieke

depresz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by depresz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:16 am

Quite nice Marieke!
Images ilustrating type of parameter are great. What to say? That's really cool documentation

If we would be out of the GHOP, I can write code, and you write manuals. ;D You are into this.
Great Hacking Opportunity Project
numbers? sure! 3d 22h on forum, about 500h of work <- this is real GHOP

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:31 am

I don't know, Tomasz, Marieke might be too busy continuing to write her own extensions;)

kdevine
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kdevine » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:21 pm

Marieke92 wrote: And then I forgot something... because I still can't get the SQL parameter working right.
OK, let's say a developer wants to build a parameter for letting the user choose from a list of countries...

<param type="SQL" name="country" default="" query="SELECT id, country FROM #__countries" label="Choose A Country" /> 
The first value in the SELECT statement is the option value and the second value is the option label. The name attribute of the param has to match the column name of the second value of the SELECT statement.

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:48 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I tried the following to create a list with all content items from your Joomla! site:

<param name="sql" type="SQL" default="" label="SQL test" description="" query="SELECT id, title FROM #__content" />
The result:
No error displayed :)
And the list.. yeah, it was an empty list, like if there were no labels set.
What did I do wrong?

Marieke
Greetz, Marieke

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:55 pm

Learning along with you, Marieke.

When I read Kevin's comment:
The name attribute of the param has to match the column name of the second value of the SELECT statement.
I wonder - should the name be title?

<param name="title" type="SQL" default="" label="SQL test" description="" query="SELECT id, title FROM #__content" />
See if that works.

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:05 pm

Thanks Kdevine and Amy! :)
It works!
(let's go and describe it ;) )

Marieke
Greetz, Marieke

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:23 pm

I think I'm ready by now! :)
http://mariekevandertuin.nl/draft4_coreparameters.pdf

Can some one have a look at it before uploading to Google?

Thanks,
Marieke
Greetz, Marieke

Chris Davenport
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Chris Davenport » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:39 pm

Well done Marieke.  :)

I think this is looking very good.  Glad you figured out the SQL parameter.  I had no idea what that one did!

One minor point.... I don't think that grouping of parameters works for templates.  No idea why really.  It's just another one of those installer quirks that needs fixing at some point.  You might want to include a note about that.

Excellent work.  We already have a place reserved for this in the official documentation.  :)

Regards,
Chris.
Chris Davenport

Davenport Technology Services http://www.davenporttechnology.com/
Lion Coppice http://www.lioncoppice.org/

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:11 pm

I agree - this is excellent work, again.

When you have had a chance to add Chris's comment about templates, please upload your work to Google and we will mark your task, as complete.

Marieke - thank you so very much for all you have done for us and for the help you have provided others. You are an amazing person.

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:09 am

There were a couple grammar mistakes in there.  If you want me to edit it, just post an odt.

Otherwise, it looks great!!!  :)
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

Marieke92
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marieke92 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:51 am

I corrected some minor mistakes, I added Chris' comment (thanks!), and uploaded it to Google :)

Thanks GHOP!

Marieke
Greetz, Marieke

hareslade
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 095 - Write a document describing the extension parameter ty

Post by hareslade » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi... just so you know, the file that does the SQL parameter type is called sql.php, it needs renaming to SQL.php for the SQL parameter type to work, on my server upper and lower case filenames to match whats calledin the php code, are essential.

The file is in /libraries / joomla / html / parameter /elements /

Took me ages to track the filename problem error down..all the rest of the types are lower case names, just SQL is upper case..

Would someone notify whoever looks after this sort of thing?

Nice pdf that got produced.. thats how I learned about the parameter types..

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: 095 - Write a document describing the extension parameter ty

Post by mcsmom » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:28 pm

Would you please create an issue for that at the issue tracker
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... cker_id=32

(you must register at joomlacode.org to create an issue.)
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”