Discuss: New beginnings

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
user deleted

Discuss: New beginnings

Post by user deleted » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:30 am

Please discuss here: New beginnings

Topic link: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=265771

ibnhafsun
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Discuss: New beginnings

Post by ibnhafsun » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:06 pm

Thank you Tonie, Robin and Andy.
And thanks for the forum migration. Appreciate it.

wswingle
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wswingle » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:55 pm

Hi Rob, new forum is snappy! Questions though, is there a bridge you are running between Joomla and phpbb?

Also I cannot remember the last forum system, was it Fireboard or...?

And lastly, are you running the forum in a wrapper or was the phpbb theme styled to look like the Main Joomla site?

Thanks for your time,

Wayne

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:40 pm

Tonie, Andy and Robin you will be missed. Thanks for all your hard work, and glad to hear you are all sticking around still.

Welcome along Andrew!

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:42 pm

wswingle wrote:Hi Rob, new forum is snappy! Questions though, is there a bridge you are running between Joomla and phpbb?
No
Also I cannot remember the last forum system, was it Fireboard or...?
SMF
And lastly, are you running the forum in a wrapper or was the phpbb theme styled to look like the Main Joomla site?
Nope, this forum is standalone, and just made to look like the other sites.

vamba
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by vamba » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:31 pm

Robin Tonie and Andy thank too much for all your work
Member of the Italian Joomla Translation Team Since Sept.1th 2005

matthewhayashida
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by matthewhayashida » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:20 pm

Thank you Robin, Andy and Tonie!

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:56 pm

I am sure your contributions to Joomla will always be remembered. Thanks for the amazing work, and good luck on future endeavors.
If you're not a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem.

quincyhoang
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Discuss: Drupal Congrats

Post by quincyhoang » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:08 am

whoever decided to put this announcement into your front page, i have two words for you, "VERY CLASSY", nice to see these days.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:30 am

brad wrote:Tonie, Andy and Robin you will be missed. Thanks for all your hard work, and glad to hear you are all sticking around still.

Welcome along Andrew!
Could not state it better. ;)

So much water passes under the bridges...
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

timothy.stiffler
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by timothy.stiffler » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:14 pm

I know that Joomla would not be what it is today without the three of you. Would we have 1.5? I wonder. Would we have any of this? Thanks for all of your hard work and effort, I hope that those who follow after will take what you've done and do great things with it!

And Andrew, congrats on joining the team! I had a feeling you would be soon! :pop
AnotherGuy's Weblog - http://anotherguy.us/

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:35 pm

Surely a great Thank you to all guys! And another thanks for the forum migration (SMF wasn't a real open source), I've appreciated the work & idea. Well, about the template forum, maybe some layout adjustment should be useful but in general all is very good!
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

HH
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HH » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:04 pm

Hello,
I've some technical notes and I think you are aware off:

1- Maybe I missed it however where is Modifying User Profile's link?
2- Right to Left Forums (RTL) are showing the (RTL) code into the post's body therefore it seems like it's not installed

Thanks
Me = Wonder + Ponder
http://www.hichamaged.net/

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:26 pm

HH wrote:Hello,

2- Right to Left Forums (RTL) are showing the (RTL) code into the post's body therefore it seems like it's not installed

Thanks
I'm lost.. how does this relate to the announce of the new and old Joomla Core Team members?

If you are posting about the forum functions, please use the correct forum for that, Sites and Infrastructure.

HH
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HH » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:44 pm

brad wrote:
HH wrote:Hello,

Thanks
I'm lost.. how does this relate to the announce of the new and old Joomla Core Team members?

If you are posting about the forum functions, please use the correct forum for that, Sites and Infrastructure.
OOPS!
I mistakenly posted it here. Plz delete the former post.
Me = Wonder + Ponder
http://www.hichamaged.net/

anas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Forum issues

Post by anas » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:23 am

Hello everyone.

In regards to the transition to phpBB, where is the search button on the frontpage of the forum?

* No - not the Google Custom Search
* Right now - I have to select a topic, and only then the search box appears - but it searches the selected topic before I can select 'Advanced Search'
* Sorry to post here if unrelated - but I can't search the forum for my question 8)

vickyh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vickyh » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:45 pm

Apologies if I'm missing something, but searching the new forum is a pain!

You have to go to a particular subforum to search for something, then only after a search in performed do I see a link to do an advanced search where I can look in more than one subforum.

jaz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jaz » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:52 pm

First, I want to thank all the J! heros for the awesome work on the core, 3rd party stuff, and these support sites.

Now, I'm sorry to be so blunt, and at the risk of pissing off the hard working people at the center of this project and Joomla.org -- the new forums are much, much less productive (for me) than the earlier ones. Since J! is now my livelihood, I feel I must voice my gripes because I know that although these folks responsible were trying to "fix" something (scalability maybe?), but for my purposes what wasn't broken is now severely crippled. I very much hope that the forums can recover to the robustness it once had in terms of getting precise search hits. Again, I'm very concerned with this situation because Joomla is my livelihood and I highly depend on this resource.

I understand that there must have been a lot of issues with things like 0.5 million posts in the 1.0x forums alone, and global forums searching must really tax the servers. I'm sure something needed to be done. So I hope that this and other posts help the Heros know what's ailing us on the new phpbb system.

More: I can't find much with this forum. If I choose an advanced search in 1.0/Templates & CSS - 1.0x parent+child forums for "fast" in the subject, I get no hits. Zero. If I do a general search on the same for "slow" I get One hit. One! Can this really be true? I think not, unless past years of topics have been archived. Something is amiss.

Where is the link to advanced search? Surely if global searching is a problem then we'd be ushered to an advance search page, but I don't see any links to advanced until I first do a general search.

Here's a biggie -- in the advanced search page, there are OVER 500 selectable forums to choose, and in a little tiny 9-line box. I find this unreasonable.

Also a major pain is that there are unnecessary animations that cause extra cpu overhead. On any of my typical PCs, I have hundreds of Firefox windows/tabs open, a dozen text files open, photoshop, color pickers, calipers, image-directory thumbnailers, not to mention MySQL, Apache, etc. The LAST thing I need is a forum with tons of background javascript and animated icons on every topic.

If the reason for upgrading was saleability and performance, then perhaps go back to the previous system and throw a bunch of hardware a the problem (??)

-Jaz

Tim_Olaguna
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Tim_Olaguna » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:52 pm

Well, this is most odd. I came here to post a compliment about the search capabilities in the new forum and found the last two comments above.

My experience has been exactly the opposite of the last two posters. I have found the search capabilities in the new forum to be an enormous improvement over what was available before. I hated the search results I received in the older forum. It would take me forever to find the kind of information I was looking for in the old forum. And often I would not find what I was looking for at all. With this forum I find what I'm looking for much quicker; often in the very first result!

Could it be that the folks who don't like the search capability provided by this forum software are just extremely used to working with the oddities of the old forum software? That they are more in tune with its particular peculiarities and practices and could thus use it more effectively than I?

Anyway, I like the new search capabilities and the results I get using the new forum software. It works great for me. Thank you very much for making this move.
Cheerily Yours, Tim O'Laguna

ChiefGoFor
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by ChiefGoFor » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:06 pm

Please keep this thread on task. Any posts not pertaining to the recent changes on the Core Team will be deleted... that means, quit talking about the new forum. There are other places for that.
Joomla! ...because open source matters
"Try to answer two questions for every one question you ask." - Me

jaz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jaz » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:34 pm

Sorry... I found this, but neither the board nor the topic title is indicative of the subject.

BTW, when I do a search for "new forums phpbb3" i get results all over the place, but none in announcement discussions. If I browse through announcements and announcement discussions I don't see anything. (seems this would be the proper place to discuss such a major event, not in the Lounge). (??)

I may be a creature of habit, but when quoted searches (or using hyphens) result in ANY and not PHRASE results, I start to boil over.

jaz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jaz » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:44 pm

RobInk,
There are several threads with topic title "Discuss: New beginnings" [EDIT : Seems the posts are "Re: New beginn...", but the thread is renamed to Forum Issues] -- you're telling people to stay on-topic, and you're referring people to other threads [strike] with the same topic title. Please rename your threads with titles indicative of the specific issue(s) you'd have them focus on [/strike]. Many folks, myself included, are frustrated with change in forums search logic, and there doesn't seem to any threads titled "New Forums" -- a search in "Announcement Discussions" for "Forums" yields one thread -- this one. Any when in Advanced Search and confronted with which forum to search, well... "announcement discussions" seems natural. It's enough to make me feel like a deer in the headlights.

-Jaz

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:32 pm

jaz wrote:RobInk,
There are several threads with topic title "Discuss: New beginnings" [EDIT : Seems the posts are "Re: New beginn...", but the thread is renamed to Forum Issues] -- you're telling people to stay on-topic, and you're referring people to other threads [strike] with the same topic title. Please rename your threads with titles indicative of the specific issue(s) you'd have them focus on [/strike]. Many folks, myself included, are frustrated with change in forums search logic, and there doesn't seem to any threads titled "New Forums" -- a search in "Announcement Discussions" for "Forums" yields one thread -- this one. Any when in Advanced Search and confronted with which forum to search, well... "announcement discussions" seems natural. It's enough to make me feel like a deer in the headlights.

-Jaz
My bad, I restored the topic ;) I must have been asleep, sorry.

MindTooth
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MindTooth » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:48 pm

I wish the old good luck, and welcome to new!

Birger :)

3wP
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by 3wP » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:09 pm

I join in thanking the ones that has stepped down and i also welcome back the re-entering :)

Thank you all for the great work and help - you will all be missed

joejackson
I've been banned!

Post by joejackson » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:41 pm

My two cents worth.....

Since the switch from SMF searching for ANYTHING in the Joomla forums has become a matter of luck.
If you're lucky you'll find what you're looking for, if you're not you'll waste as much time as you like hopping from one topic to the next slowly losing the will to live.

This will make me as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit, but I'm not afraid to speak my mind when it clear there is an ongoing problem. No doubt someone will pounce to tell me this is the wrong thread or something similar, but that doesn't really matter because the current search facility is so badly screwed up it doesn't matter where I put my comments as they'll probably never be found by anyone who isn't directly following this particualr thread.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:41 am

joejackson,

You have run out of money, stop posting your 2c worth now.

eltonjohns
I've been banned!

Post by eltonjohns » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:02 am

Joomla community will miss you here, but all the best in future.

rjs
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by rjs » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:53 am

This forum software sucks.

Thank you to the crew for your all the hard work and dedication. Glad Andrew is back as well.
Joomla is looking better all the time. Areas of improvement that have impressed me as of late
would be in standards of compliance. But all of the improvements in the last year have made
for quite a nice experience.

Now if we could hunt down the person who decided to implement phpBB. :-\

--rjs
==
Best Regards, --rjs

jaz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jaz » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:53 pm

It sure does.

The trouble is, the "Team" doesn't care. They have their inner circle and don't need a working forum. So those of us who are scattered about the world have to fall prey to their whims, and despite all the negative feedback, they give equal weight to the the childish praises of the needless features like built-in private messaging, etc. (as if email isn't more suitable for that.)

They also broke up the topics into 50+ sub topics, so that appropriatly placed posts are seen by far fewer viewers and rarely get answers. This means that the completely broken advanced search functions, combined with a forum layout that results in casual browsing seeing only few topic classes, means that lots of questions never get answered.

None of the four questions I posted since the forum switch have been even commented on, and they were polite, well formed and researched, and none too technical.

When I first posted about the forum change, I belive I was polite and understanding about the hard work and dedication that folks at the cerner of this OSS project. But when I outlined precise failure points of the advanced search forms, I got responses like "use the one-size-fits-all!" and "post your questions" and "works for me" (here, the replying party didn't even pay attention to detail and might have as well said the sky is mango on a clear day). This really irked me, I can't tell you how pissed I am at the culprit.

I also think it's a sad situation that the folks who put phpBB in place think phpBB is "nifty". These forums are a TOOL to communicate about JOOMLA -- they're not a toy to be upgraded to a nifty toy for the sake of nifty -- and BTW phpBB is not nifty -- it sucks.

Return to “Announcements Discussions”