Need help for email settings at Global Configuration

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! site? Pop your questions in here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
laine
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Need help for email settings at Global Configuration

Post by laine » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:24 am

Hi,

I have Joomla 1.0.13 have been trying various ways to get the mass mail function in Joomla and the Community Builder (auto generate email for confirmation and approval) to work... but in vain.

I am using HostRocket as my hosting server. Seems like this server isn't really user friendly when it come to Joomla. Besides email...I also have problem with GD2, it is installed in my server yet it will not auto generate thumbnails :( I have contacted them...they said GD2 is installed...and didn't offer to help more. ;(

I would really appreciate if someone can help me with the mail settings... how do I configure it to work? Do I have to use a email account with the same domain as my Joomla website? I do wish to use Google's Gmail due to it's feature...

For your info, Hostrocket do support sendmail. But I can't get it to work...and the path is correct.

Please advise.

Thanks a lot!

Regards
Laine

leahcim_dach
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Need help for email settings at Global Configuration

Post by leahcim_dach » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:28 pm

Never tried setting up the mailer with anything other than the PHP Mail function. I seem to recall a thread some time ago about getting outside email working, but don't remember if it was here I read it, or elsewhere. Search the forums, and might event try Google and see if anything turns up.

Chad

laine
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by laine » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:18 am

Chad,

Can you advise how to get the PHP mail function to work? I don't mind using that as long as I can get the mails working. So for this I need to use an email account from my the same domain as I registered the Joomla website right?

Thanks

leahcim_dach
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by leahcim_dach » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:35 am

Yes...set up an email account under something like admin@your_site.com. Then navigate to Global Configuration and make the necessary changes to the text entry fields, dropdown menu, etc...

Something similar to below:

Mailer: PHP mail function
Mail From: admin@your_site.com
From Name: Your Name Here
Sendmail Path: shouldn't need to worry about this using the PHP mail funtion...
SMTP Auth: No
SMTP User: leave blank....
SMTP Pass: leave blank....
SMTP Host: leave blank....

Once you have this done and saved...test it out with the Mass Mail component...

http://help.joomla.org/content/view/51/151/1/7/

Chad

laine
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by laine » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:46 am

Hey thanks Chad....it works!!! But it didn't solved my auto email generation for Community Builders.... it won't auto send out email to confirm or approve members.... thou not appropriate to ask here...can you help?

leahcim_dach
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by leahcim_dach » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:29 am

laine wrote:Hey thanks Chad....it works!!! But it didn't solved my auto email generation for Community Builders.... it won't auto send out email to confirm or approve members.... thou not appropriate to ask here...can you help?
It sure should. I use CB on my site, and use that email function. It works rather well. For example, I am using the CB login form instead of the Joomla! login form. When someone registers, there is an email that is sent out to them. The confirmation email..."click this link to finish the registration, blah, blah...". Once they utilize this link, I receive an email that is automatically generated stating I need to login and choose to accept or reject the new users account. Once I accept the account, another email is automatically generated sending a cheesey PM and email to the new user welcoming them to the site...

If you're using CB, you should be able to set this up. If you have any questions regarding setting it up let me know and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Chad

bydler
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bydler » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:14 am

After a lot of trial and error I came to the conclusion that the email address you use in Global Configuration has to use the same domain/sub domain as your website.

Since English is not my first language that sounded a bit complicated, here is an example: Your site is called www.mysite.com then you can not use for example myname@mac.com as email address – it has to be something like myname@mysite.com.

I came to the same concusion with RSforms.

I have not read this in any documentation though so I wonder if this is really the only solution or if I have made some beginners mistake to make it this way?

Taikonaut
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Taikonaut » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:12 pm

I had a similar problem and ended up using "SMTP Server" as Mailer.

Since then CB sends out its mails.

Regards,
Taiko

zizani
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zizani » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:48 am

In case one day your email failed for no reason, check if your host company had changed the mail server. I ran into a email
error for one day before I could figure out that my host company had made a mail server update without telling me. Not only they changed the mail server name, they also force a required password in order to send mail. Changing the mailer to SMTP server with authentication would fix the problem.

pearcy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pearcy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:11 am

bydler wrote:After a lot of trial and error I came to the conclusion that the email address you use in Global Configuration has to use the same domain/sub domain as your website.

Since English is not my first language that sounded a bit complicated, here is an example: Your site is called www.mysite.com then you can not use for example myname@mac.com as email address – it has to be something like myname@mysite.com.

I came to the same concusion with RSforms.

I have not read this in any documentation though so I wonder if this is really the only solution or if I have made some beginners mistake to make it this way?
I had the same problem when I have a site with a different domain than the name of the server (I have several sites on a dedicated server).

I added this "SPF" record to GoDaddy using total DNS but so far I haven't been able to make it work.

"v=spf1 a mx include:host.nameofhosteddomain.com ~all"

GoDaddy makes it easy to add this record but if you use another service here is a link to create the SPF record.
http://old.openspf.org/index.html

I also looked at the server logs and the server seems to be sending out the email messages. However, I haven't been able to get phpmailer or smtp to work.

spoonertuner
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by spoonertuner » Sat May 16, 2009 7:05 am

I also had the same problem, and this is what I did to fix it:

You must use same email address for the site administrator contact as you do in the Joomla! mail server settings.
Site > Global Configuration > Server > Mail Settings (update the "Mail from" field)
(PHP Mail Function and Sendmail both work fine)
Components > Contacts > Contacts (update the "E-Mail" feild)

Also the email address you use must share the same domain name as your site. For example, [email protected] and not [email protected].

If using a language translation tool like Joom!Fish then you will need to make sure the email address is the same on the contact form pages in all translated version of it.
Components > Joom!Fish > Translation >
Select from dropdown menu "Languages: (e.g. Spanish)"
Select from dropdown menu "Content elements: Contact"
Click on the contact to be updated
Then make sure your "Label: Email Address" field uses the same email address as I described above in this post.
Last edited by spoonertuner on Sat May 16, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.
http://www.SpoonerTuner.com Spoon Sports, Buddy Club, and J's Racing Parts

shannonlynch
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shannonlynch » Sun May 17, 2009 1:35 am

Malkhaz wrote:I had the same problem, and I have solved it as described by spoonertuner and bydler: you have to use the same domain based email address...
If I'm not mistaken this is a web hosting requirement - not a Joomla requirement. Some domains allow you to use any email address in the "From" field.

Other, more security conscious, web hosting companies require you to use an email address associated with your website's domain name.

counter_tt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by counter_tt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:14 pm

can someone tell me what do you mean by domain name?. . .

TaraJoom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TaraJoom » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:15 pm

I very much need help here!!! :'(

I cannot get my mail settings to work so the registered user recieves the activation email.. Chads post is prob the best explained but i am confused what you mean by setting up an email account in your site name? Any help would be appreciated..iv been stuck on this login issue for ages and I have loads more work to do.. also I am hosting it locally but i do plan on moving to a hosting service but i dont know which one... is it possible for the login to work while the website is being hosted locally? could that be the problem?

thanks in advance

alexz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alexz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:18 pm

It is important to keep in mind that sendmail IS needed by php to execute the mail() function, as can be seen here: http://php.net/manual/en/mail.requirements.php. Therefore the "Sendmail path" textbox IS relevant, even to the PHP mail option.

So, the first thing to look for is whether sendmail has been installed on your system. If not, install it.

Hope this helps.

Alex

Return to “Administration - 1.0.x”