This phpBB3 Forum Header/Footer modification

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with forum.joomla.org.
dannymtl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

This phpBB3 Forum Header/Footer modification

Post by dannymtl » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:48 pm

I'd like to know how you modified the phpBB3 style to have the joomla template header/footer information. I'd like to do the same for my web site

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: This phpBB3 Forum Header/Footer modification

Post by brad » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:00 am

Simply edit the phpbb3 style/theme.

dannymtl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dannymtl » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:13 am

Thanks Brad

I thought that might be it but it isn't as simple as that. :)

Can you give a bit of detail?
What part of the template code do I add to the style hearder and footer section?
I thought the code would be in the joomla template html section but that's all php code. Don't I have to add html code? How and where do I get the code from my template to add it to the header footer sections of the phpBB3 forum?

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:19 am

Have you done any edits to your phpbb3 templates before? The procedure is the same.

You do know that this site is not integrated with Joomla at all, it's standalone. Further to that, the design it not free to be copied and used elsewhere.

dannymtl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dannymtl » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:49 am

Yes I know it's a stand alone installation. I've done the same. I have a joomla installation and a phpBB3 installation.

I'm not sure what you're talking about not being free. Do you think I'm coping your joomla template?

I have my own joomla template and would like to do the same as you've done here at joomla.com with the phpBB3 forum. That is to put the header and footer information into phpBB3 to make it look integrated into my portal web site even though it isn't. Have you patented the procedure to do this Brad. :)

It may be a simple matter to you but I don't know how to do it. I don't know what or where the code has to be taken from to put in the phpBB3 style header and footer. I read that you may be able to view the html code by doing view page source and paste the html code in the phpBB3 header footer parts.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:27 am

Well, there is the phpbb overall header as well as footer files, as well as the css that needs editing. Those are the main ones. You can easily get some css values from your Joomla template, however the other values are a little more complicated. On our sites we have the same header across all of them, however, this header is hardly a part of the Joomla template anyway, more a bit of html/javascript code.

I hope it helps.

dannymtl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dannymtl » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:44 am

so the top part of the forum (header) where the web site menu is wasn't taken from your joomla template. It's just html and java script that you guys coded?

is there anyway that I can get the html code from my joomla template? A view page source? There's no easy way to do this..cut this code here and paste it in the phpBB3 header? Why can't it just be cut and paste simple. :)

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:46 am

dannymtl wrote:so the top part of the forum (header) where the web site menu is wasn't taken from your joomla template. It's just html and java script that you guys coded?
Bascially, yes.
is there anyway that I can get the html code from my joomla template? A view page source? There's no easy way to do this..cut this code here and paste it in the phpBB3 header? Why can't it just be cut and paste simple. :)
Simply use a 'downloader'. I use sitesucker on mac. There are also windows alternatives. htttrack I think is one.

Eelke
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Eelke » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:16 pm

dannymtl wrote:is there anyway that I can get the html code from my joomla template? A view page source? There's no easy way to do this..cut this code here and paste it in the phpBB3 header? Why can't it just be cut and paste simple. :)
Whenever I need to do that, I just go to the page I want some HTML from, do "View page source" in my browser, and copy the code... Am I being overly complicated?

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”