User registration problems

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
shimanotaka
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

User registration problems

Post by shimanotaka » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:40 am

Hi,

When a new user registers, no confirmation mail is sent and I have to manually activate the account in the admin interface. I've tried all three mail methods and tried different parameters but none of them has worked for me. According to my host they should work. I've also tried two different email accounts.

When all the user details has been filled in and I click register, all that happens is that the registration form is cleared. No welcome message or notification that a mail has been sent. I'm not sure if it should be that way, as I have never seen it work any other way.

How do I troubleshoot this mailing problem? I've activated the debug mode, but that didn't tell me anything.

AcousticSilence
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: User registration problems

Post by AcousticSilence » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:42 pm

I have a similar issue. After you click the button to register, it brings up a blank registration form with no confirmation paget that they are registered or an email has been sent.

shimanotaka
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shimanotaka » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:02 pm

I got it to work now. I enabled the contact form and tried all three methods again. After that, weird enough, the user registration also worked. Maybe it just needed a kickstart. :)

Only the SMTP method worked a 100% for me. When I tried the others, no message was delivered to the site admin, but a copy was delivered to the sender. Not too good that user feedback disappears into the void, eventhough they themselves receive a copy, making them believe that the delivery was successful. This might have something to do with some kind of spam filter somewhere though...

FYI, the account that always received a copy was registered at mail.com and the account that received the mail only through SMTP was at gmail.com (and no, there were no emails in the spam folder). So if you have email problems and use a Gmail account, it might be a good idea to try some other email service also, to verify.

AcousticSilence
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AcousticSilence » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:21 am

where did you enable the contact form?

shimanotaka
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shimanotaka » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:48 am

Let's see if I remeber this correctly...

From the admin interface, go to the components menu. There there should be one called "contacts". There you can edit the contact details. (This is not a necessary step for testing, but for a live page you'd want correct details)

After that you go to the "menu" menu and choose or create a menu you want the contacts link to appear in. Add menu object and select internal link -> contacts -> standard contact layout. (these might not be the exact terms as I'm translating from my Swedish interface)

After that you just edit the details of the object as you want them and press "save". Now you can quickly try the different email settings, having one window/tab with the contact page open and one with the global configuration/server page open. Then you just send a message through the contacts page and tick "send copy to sender", and check if any of the email accounts receive the message. If not, change email settings and try again.

Good luck!

As a side note, the contacts seem to get screwed up if you have Jfusion installed, as it pulls contact information from the forum user database, which doesn't seem fully compatible.

prodgers
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by prodgers » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:30 pm

Hi all,
I have a similar problem with a new installation of version 1.5.
When I use the user registration form and click on the [Register] button,
there is no message, it just clears the form.
When I check my email, I have correctly received the activation email,
and I can enable the user account - but I need the registration form to generate a message to let the user know that something has happened.
Is this only happening because I have the user activation option set in the global settings? (I'd like to keep this)

How can I get the register button to produce a suitable message to let the user know that
an activation email has been sent?

Any answers, gratefully received.

Many thanks, Paul Rodgers.

wa9als
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wa9als » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:22 pm

THANKS SO MUCH shimanotaka!! I've had the same "return to blank registration page" and no email or account setup problem. I just went to the contacts page and only put in my name and a valid email. I did not go ahead and make a menu item etc. However, now my account registration page works, the email gets sent, and the user gets registered etc.

The only problem now is this one about how account registration just returns to the blank page - It needs to give a message about how an email has been sent to the applicant.

At least people can register now!

Thanks again shimanotaka!

- John

jxrossel
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jxrossel » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:43 pm

Hi,

For the message problem, have a look here:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... gistration
Jonathan

My website: http://www.themotherfunkers.ch, a taste of swiss funky music.

AcousticSilence
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AcousticSilence » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:23 pm

Thanks!
jxrossel wrote:Hi,

For the message problem, have a look here:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... gistration

Carlos
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Carlos » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:23 am

I know you can place this line of code in your template's index.php file:

Code: Select all

<jdoc:include type="message" />
However, I'm not sure where to put it at? Does anyone know?

jxrossel
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jxrossel » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:51 am

Well, you can place it where you want the messages to appear. Here is what I did:

Code: Select all

<div id="maincolumn">
						<jdoc:include type="message" />
					        <div class="nopad">
						        <?php if($this->params->get('showComponent')) : ?>
							        <jdoc:include type="component" />
						        <?php endif; ?>
					        </div>
				        </div>
So, just in the main column.
Jonathan

12string
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 12string » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:30 pm

none of the fixes worked for me.

jxrossel
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jxrossel » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:51 pm

12string wrote:none of the fixes worked for me.
Have you tried to use a standard joomla template? This problem is usually template related. If it works with a standard template, you can then try to figure out why your template is not working.
Jonathan

12string
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 12string » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:02 pm

yes 1.x and 1.5 templates and even turned off leggacy mode.
I have done everything and now have installed joomla 1.5.2 on my home PC to try to see if its my host.
:'(

kyriakosm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kyriakosm » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:56 am

Hello,

* Could not instantiate mail function.
* Could not instantiate mail function.

this is the message i get when i try to register in my site.. what should i do? please help me as soon as possible..
OMONOIA KAI DEN EIMAI KALAAA..

markjwarman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markjwarman » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi all,

I've been tearing my hair out with this one and really need some help!

When some users try to register an account on my site, the registration form does not work. If you fill in your details and press register, nothing happens. The page remains the same as if the button is not functional.

However, I have once or twice had success (mainly when trying to demonstrate the problem to people!) and some other people have managed to register.

I'm afraid I'm more of a designer than a developer so I get a little bit lost with problems like this - especially when they seem to be intermittent.

I did find a post describing exactly the same problem as mine (unfortunately I can't find it now), although I tried everything mentioned in this post and nothing has worked.

Any help would be seriously appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

*PS I have just noticed that this is also a problem on another site of mine - both running Joomla 1.5.17

Have checked in Safari, IE6, IE7, IE8 and Firefox - all have the same issue of intermittent success - each site running on a different host.

davezelenka
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by davezelenka » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:14 pm

markjwarman,

Did you ever solve the problem. I'm having the same trouble: Joomla 1.5.18.

Thanks

davezelenka
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by davezelenka » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:22 pm

I solved my issue. It had to do with a conflict between Community Builder 1.2.2 and a plugin called cedit registrationvalidator. I had to unpublish cedit. It now works fine.

Return to “Administration 1.5”