invalid token during logging in

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
veki
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

invalid token during logging in

Post by veki » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:50 pm

When user tries to loggin he is prompted with message invalid token.

Login and passowrd are correct.

please advise.

Thanks,

veki

timothy.stiffler
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: invalid token during logging in

Post by timothy.stiffler » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:01 am

AnotherGuy's Weblog - http://anotherguy.us/

veki
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by veki » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:27 am

hello,
Thanks on information. But, this does not apply to me , since I use Beez template that is by default in Joomla and it does not use the code mentioned in that thread. However, problem with invalid token happens.

If yyou have some other advise please feel free to send it to me.

Best wishes,

Vedran

timothy.stiffler
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by timothy.stiffler » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:50 am

I'll move this to the template forum so that someone in that area can help you. :)
AnotherGuy's Weblog - http://anotherguy.us/

bttman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bttman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:39 pm

veki wrote:When user tries to loggin he is prompted with message invalid token.

Login and passowrd are correct.

please advise.

Thanks,

veki
fyi, I had this problem when testing a custom user plugin. It seemed to be a problem having to do with the browser cache. When i would go back to the login page, the user name would already be populated. I would fill in the password and get the invalid token error. However, if I did a refresh after returning to the login page, the user name would be erased and when I re-entered the username and password, it worked.
Perhaps this will shed some light for those looking into the problem. On the other hand, perhaps my feeble attempt at a plugin was causing my problem :-\ .
joe

veki
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by veki » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:28 pm

Hello,
Thanks on information. It is strange that such a probelm appeared during attempt to login in admin panel too.
Any ideas?

Regards,

veki

hatchmo
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by hatchmo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:46 pm

In the past month, there have been nearly a hundred posts regarding this issue.
Both Administrators and Users are unable to log in. The error returned is:

invalid token

Some have solved their own version of the problem by removing, reinstalling or replacing a 3rd-party template. However, that does not explain why Administrator login is affected in addition to User login.

Some have blamed Legacy Mode. Yet, most who complain have Legacy Mode turned off. They are not running custom login code, either, or Skype.

Andrew Eddie has offered one patch here:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=199&t=251273
But I cannot find such login code to patch anywhere in my Joomla! 1.5 installation or templates.

Junk2 describes a code change that works for him:
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,257792.0.html
But it doesn't work for me.

Some have reported that there is a patch in the works. Is there actually a build that addresses this?

djones44
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by djones44 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:02 pm

I have the problem intermittently.

Retrying, rebooting, clearing the cachem changing the names & pwd's, eventually it saw the login and it worked.

Dwight

veki
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by veki » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:06 pm

Hello,

It seems to me that somehow Joomla expire session and cookies are notvalid any more and when you want tu submit article or to do login it displasy INvalid token ! error.
Thus, I think that some additional manageability of that should be added or clarified if it already exists.

ANy ideas what may be done in order to prevent such an error?

vedran

warthogweb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by warthogweb » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:56 am

Fine for several days with 1.5 and FF 2.0.0.11/12 then invalid token when logging in as user or admin.

However, no problems with IE6 or Safari for PC but NS7.2 displays 'invalid token'.

Any ideas as I prefer to use FF??

Martin

dtce
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dtce » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:28 pm

English version:
Sorry for my English (translated with google), I am Spanish.
I have the problem "Invalid Token". My site not joomla
recorded the session cookie. I have cookies enabled
in the browser. How can I fix this? Try
personalize the message "Invalid Token" in those
files, which shows, but always goes well, it seems
unalterable.
My joomla site already has corrected the error jhtml. And the template is created by me, but it is not the culprit because it uses that call.
PS: occurs when trying to log in, and I have the site turned off for maintenance.

Spanish version:
Perdón por mi inglés (traducido con google), soy español. Tengo el problema "Invalid Token". Mi portal joomla no registra la cookie de sesión. Tengo las cookies activadas en el navegador. ¿cómo puedo arreglar esto? Pruebo a personalizar el mensaje "Invalid Token" en aquellos ficheros donde se muestra, pero siempre sale igual, parece inalterable. Mi portal joomla ya tiene corregido el error de JHTML. Y la plantilla es creada por mi, pero no es la culpable porque no usa esa llamada.
PD: ocurre al intentar iniciar sesión, y tengo el sitio desactivado por mantenimiento.

nerdy_marc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nerdy_marc » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:47 am

I just updated to Joomla 1.5.8 and I still get this Invalid token error...

Are there any good solution to this? I think I already done all the suggested solution you can find on the net...I'm not on the verge of giving up...

Hope somebody could help us.

Thanks in advance.

hobbesent
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hobbesent » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:43 pm

I'm experiencing the same issue, but ONLY when using Firefox 2 during user registration/login. I'm using the Virtuemart login module. Everything goes off without a hitch in Firefox 3 and IE7; but I fear many users are still using Firefox 2 and will thus be unable to register for my site.

I was going to start a new post until I realized that this is an issue many others are having. Are any fixes in the works?

Thanks!

johnny_a
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by johnny_a » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:10 am

I am experiencing this issue in FF 3, as well as FF2. Please advise of any fixes. I fear that customers are abandoning the site.

Nico1958
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nico1958 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:45 am

Couldn't log in either, invalid token message all the time. Nowhere on the internet seems there be a solution to this problem. Well this one worked for me eventually: Uninstalled the programme sh404SEF and voila, problem solved. O yes, I am using joomla 1.5.8 ;)

sameerhere
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sameerhere » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:06 pm

I am also having same problem. My site was working fine(joomla 1.5). but when i installed simple forum and then directory listing, it started given"Invalid Token". I have also tried all solutions from the internet, but couldnt solve. What is the final solution. Is it reinstalling Joomla ? This is i think related user creation in database..
Any solutions.

johnny_a
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by johnny_a » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:44 pm

I found a solution on another forum that worked for me so far- don't use "Legacy Mode" with Joomla 1.5 and Virtuemart. So far, so good.

sameerhere
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sameerhere » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:45 am

I am also noticing that this "Invalid token" issue is specific to templates. If i use the default template that comes with joomla (JA_purity), everything works ok. But for other templates i am now getting error "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/healthyj/public_html/modules/mod_login/tmpl/default.php on line 2".

Also i read on internet that default.php lies in basic root and also in template folder(which you are using). So problem may lie in template. I am yet to solve this issue. For my template "JA_Edenite" .. i am still getting Invalid Token when i try to use registration, forget password, etc... User realated requests are getting these errors..

Any help please....

DKY
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DKY » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:07 pm

Has anyone found a solution specific to the Beez template? I too am having this issue and want to correct it.

broncos365
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by broncos365 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:25 pm

We are running into this as well and finding a solution is just eating my lunch.

I tried everything mentioned so far, and nothing.

It is very frustrating, and only happens to certain people.

mlipscomb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mlipscomb » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:24 pm

I was having the same issue (on multiple templates).

One thing I noticed was the session handlers and gzip compression acting up. This was (strangely enough) also causing my site changes to take forever to show up.

My fix: remove all files in the /tmp directory (with the exception of index.html of course) and purge cache.

Now everything is back to normal. :-) Maybe this will help somoene.

FYI - using 1.5.10, sh404SEF, .htaccess (with mod_rewrite on), Agora forum and on 1and1 hosting - does it "buggier" than all that?! :-)
~Matt Lipscomb
http://www.USAFreelancers.org
Professional Joomla! Services and Web Development based in the USA

broncos365
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by broncos365 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:15 am

mlipscomb wrote:I was having the same issue (on multiple templates).

One thing I noticed was the session handlers and gzip compression acting up. This was (strangely enough) also causing my site changes to take forever to show up.

My fix: remove all files in the /tmp directory (with the exception of index.html of course) and purge cache.

Now everything is back to normal. :-) Maybe this will help somoene.

FYI - using 1.5.10, sh404SEF, .htaccess (with mod_rewrite on), Agora forum and on 1and1 hosting - does it "buggier" than all that?! :-)
thank you, I tried that and still get it

it is absolutely driving me mad

Garibaldi3489
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Garibaldi3489 » Fri May 01, 2009 4:24 pm

I too am having this problem for both Administrators and Users. I have disabled my cache now to see if that makes a difference. As others have stated I checked the code in my login form to make sure it was the new code (which it was). It appears that php is calling a

Code: Select all

die("Invalid Token")
Wouldn't it be possible to instead replace that die() statement with

Code: Select all

header("Location: http://www.mysite.com/index.php")
That way if the invalid token is thrown, at least you could redirect to a page of your choosing (e.g. the normal login redirect page)

prilly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by prilly » Sun May 03, 2009 12:31 am

Today, I could login with IE7 but not with Firefox. It was especially bad this time, none of the tricks resolved the problem.

Turns out, it was a Mootools error. Again!! I have removed every Mootools app from my site now because they just seem to cause a whole lot of problems. And the problems show up in surprising ways at surprising times, so it could be difficult to recognize: you might not put it together that Mootools is causing it. But every time I disable the Mootools app that's on the dysfunctional page, the problems immediately stop.

I have uninstalled everything that uses Mootools. My site works a whole lot better now. I've found a few programs that put some glamour on my site without using Mootools.

It's not always Mootools though. I've had the invalid token errors from time to time. Some of it seems to be caused by older Joomla programs or programs that are only recently 1.5 Native so I think there's some older code in them yet. When I uninstall these older programs, no more token errors. I'm only going to use 1.5 Native from now on.

If you want to try an interesting experiment, go to the Mosets Tree website and look around. Then go to your own website and try to login. I've been getting Invalid Token errors just by VISITING sites that use older Joomla apps. This happens to me every time I look at Mosets Tree, which is a beautiful program but I don't think I can use it on my site.

prilly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by prilly » Sun May 03, 2009 10:33 am

I'm still having problems with invalid token. So here's a question. This started since our server was upgraded to MySql 5+ yesterday. I hadn't had much problem with invalid token for quite awhile but now it's ruining my site.

What would MySql 5 have to do with this problem?

prilly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by prilly » Sun May 03, 2009 7:04 pm

FOUND IT. It was a conflict with Highslide. I wasn't even aware that highslide was being used by one of my modules, but that was it. I turned off the highslide features and the problem resolved completely. I had to comb through everything to find the problem, but it's fixed now.

No more invalid tokens, no more getting logged out involuntarily... it's fixed. What a relief.

Mootools, Highslide, jQuery... I've had a ton of problems with extensions that use these. As soon as I get rid of them, the problems go away. It's a shame because the things these extensions can do are very nice.

I don't know what the Joomla CMS can do that would make it safer to use them.

DKY
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DKY » Sun May 03, 2009 7:16 pm

Highslide? Does that fix it on the Beez template? What is Highslide and how do I know if I have it?

prilly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by prilly » Sun May 03, 2009 7:41 pm

The Beez template does use some javascript of some kind, I believe. On the forums people recommend using the Rocket theme to avoid conflicts.

I'm using a template I built from scratch using a model in the Joomla documentation. My template doesn't using any javascript or anything fancy, it's just colors and graphics.

Highslide, jQuery or Mootools are all javascript "things" and I don't know much about them - but MANY of the Joomla extensions use these. They conflict with each other and they conflict with a lot of things and they EVEN conflict with themselves! The latest version of Mootools is not compatible with previous versions.

You may want to read up on all your modules to find out what they're made of.

The worst problems I've encountered are with the Joomla menus. I wanted to use an accordian menu but they all cause conflicts with my installed components.

livineazy24
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by livineazy24 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:44 pm

I was having this problem when I was using the default login module. I fixed this issue by going to internet options and listing my site as a trusted site both under the internet options "security" tab and listing my site as cookie trusted under the "Privacy" Tab and then I deleted all previously saved cookies under the browsing history. P.S. I am using IE6 with Joomla stable 1.5.10, Hope this helps.

prilly
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by prilly » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:01 pm

That does solve the problem for your own logins, but what about your users? Are they likely to have the same difficulties?

You may want to upgrade to IE7. Some of the technical people are saying it's really important to do this because of security issues as well as keeping up with technology online. Developers don't even want to try to support older browsers anymore because they're too outdated and it's better for the users to be on IE7 or better. IE8 was released recently but I haven't tried it.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”