Newbie Wishes to Use Joomla on 1and1.com

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
paiwacket
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Newbie Wishes to Use Joomla on 1and1.com

Post by paiwacket » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:27 pm

I manage several sites hosted by 1and1 http://www.1and1.com. I would like to implement Joomla but admit I am not sure where to begin. I read the Absolute Beginner's Guide but honestly don't think it speaks to that scenario. 1and1's response to such a question is that "people already know how to use it. We just set it up." Hmmm. Sortof a ckicken & egg thing.

Thanks for your help. -Barry

joff1972
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Newbie Wishes to Use Joomla on 1and1.com

Post by joff1972 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:56 pm

This also interests me. I also want to set up on 1 and 1. At the moment I have just a 'beginner' account, but think I would have to upgrade to the next level. I am confused about what I actually have to install on their server, what the server has already got and how to exactly set it up. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by joff1972 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Geoff » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:29 pm

Welcome to the Joomla! Community Forum.

For instructions on installing Joomla! 1.5.X, please read the J! 1.5 Installation Manual

If you are new to Joomla!, the Absolute Beginners Guide to Joomla! is a great resource to get you started. Many of the questions you may have are probably answered in our Joomla! FAQ.
Backup, backup, backup!
The "Master" .htacess file by Nicholas http://snipt.net/nikosdion/the-master-htaccess

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:06 am

Mod note: Moving to correct forum.

BennyB
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by BennyB » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:25 am

I also need to set up a Joomla 1.5.x on 1and1, but have failed getting it installed with every attempt. I've read the beginners guide and installation manuals, but still can't make it work. I've tried it 3 different times, with 3 different results. Is there anybody that might have some pointers on this?

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:20 am

Hi all,
Please advise which package you have with 1&1 as some of these do not have the latest/compatible PHP amongst other requirements.
What actions have you currently tried to achieve installation?
What if any error messages have you received?

I have had Joomla! working on 1and1 since J!1.04 and will happily try to help.

Andy

joff1972
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joff1972 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:11 am

Well, I have just the 'Beginner' package at the moment, but I would imagine that I would have to upgrade to the 'Home' package to get PHP. The packages can be viewed here:
http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/Host ... _lf=Static

If you can point me in the right direction (what I would need to upload to my space, etc.) I would be grateful.

Many thanks.

John

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:22 am

Hi John

Yes you will need the basic Business package at least ( I used this in the past although now have the next two).
Once this is obtained install Joomla! in accordance with the Installation Manual (see my signature) and create an .htaccess file (I attach a copy of my own file to assist you) and store it in the Joomla! root directory.

Then see how you go.

Edit Package type
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by humvee on Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

joff1972
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joff1972 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:28 am

Thank you very much Andy. I will upgrade and then give it a go :)

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:30 am

Urgent correction to this
You need the basic Business package as they have dropped the mysql database from Home package.

Sorry for the omission.

Andy

GeoUK
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by GeoUK » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:33 am

I have a number of sites set up on 1and1 using Joomla. My only concern is there support of recent.

I use a Business Pro account, Linux based with 8 SQL databases. This does not restrict you to only 8 sites as you can have more than 1 site running on the one database by changing the database table prefix (useful for smaller sites).

The main issue with 1&1 is that they have register globals ON by default, although there is a line you can add to the .htaccess file to force php5 and you can then turn it off. Use the following line in the .htaccess file.

Code: Select all

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
I have the databases set up as SQL 5 and everything appears to work fine.

I am using a shared server, I know it isn't the best choice but my clients can't afford to pay for their own server. Only issue I had recently was a hack that had been lying dormant and website hits suddenty went through the roof 200/month to 70,000/month. This is where 1&1 fall down badly. If you call support all they do is recommend that you change your FTP password. Even after asking them to check the shared server in case it had been compromised they still refused to pass it to second level support.

Using the account I have I create multiple directories in the root of my webspace and have each site in it's own directory. This also allows me to move the configuration.php up a level out of reach of prying eyes.

If you have any questions, let me know and I will answer them here if I can.

Remember - Back up on a regular basis...

Geo
Last edited by GeoUK on Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

joff1972
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joff1972 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:47 am

humvee wrote:Urgent correction to this
You need the basic Business package as they have dropped the mysql database from Home package.
Ok, thank you.

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:55 am

GeoUK wrote:...

I am using a shared server, I know it isn't the best choice but my clients can't afford to pay for their own server. Only issue I had recently was a hack that had been lying dormant and website hits suddenty went through the roof 200/month to 70,000/month. This is where 1&1 fall down badly. If you call support all they do is recommend that you change your FTP password. Even after asking them to check the shared server in case it had been compromised they still refused to pass it to second level support.

...Geo
Moderator note; small and friendly reminder about our forum rules and wall of shame threads:
# This is not the place to settle a commercial disagreement for custom development or to be a 'wall of shame'. Any posts deemed to be of this nature will be removed. Settle your disputes in private please.
Make sure to stay away from that... ;)

GeoUK
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by GeoUK » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:32 am

This was not intended to be read as me trying to 'settle a commercial disagreement for custom development or to be a 'wall of shame'' it was being used as an indicator of the type of customer support that they presently offer.

I would hope that anyone, who may be new to Joomla, looking for a host would take support into consideration. I could have gone down the line of advising someone not to use a particular host, but by offering my findings I leave the end user the choice to make that decision.

Moderator: edit the post as you see fit.

Regards

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:41 am

This was not intended to be read as me trying to 'settle a commercial disagreement for custom development or to be a 'wall of shame'' it was being used as an indicator of the type of customer support that they presently offer.
I read it like that, but just making sure no one else adds to it, and making it a wall of shame. Thats all ;)

PattiH
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by PattiH » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:52 am

Andy,

I've got three Joomla sites on 1and1. I've heard tell about using htaccess, but have only seen the htaccess.txt file from Joomla on 1and1. Do we just take your file and put the dot in front and upload it to the root directory? Do we need to change anything in it to make it site specific?

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:34 am

PattiH wrote:Andy,

I've got three Joomla sites on 1and1. I've heard tell about using htaccess, but have only seen the htaccess.txt file from Joomla on 1and1. Do we just take your file and put the dot in front and upload it to the root directory? Do we need to change anything in it to make it site specific?
In theory it should work just ensure it is .htaccess and stored in the top level of your Joomla! installation - same place as htaccess.txt is currently, assuming you are using Business shared host package or above obviously ;)

then change the SEO and Apache mod-rewrite settings in the Global Configuration/configuration.php

hth
Andy

Return to “Installation 1.5”