Can't change Joomla favicon

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Zara-zee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Can't change Joomla favicon

Post by Zara-zee » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:59 am

Hi,

I am trying to change the favicon and I am using the Milky Way template, but nothing seems to work.

I have tried:
- placing my favicon.ico in the root public_html folder
- placing it the images folder
- placing it the templates folder
- I have left it for 2 days to see if it might be cache problem as Refreshing the cache does not solve the problem
- Downloaded Firefox

if I browse to the site, my new favicon appears for a brief moment then it diverts back to the Joomla icon ... if I browse to my site http://www.***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****.com/favicon.ico it shows my icon, going to http://www.***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****_.com/templates/rhuk_milkyway/favicon.ico it also shows my icon.

I am at a lost! please help.

ibbasfilho
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Can't change Joomla favicon

Post by ibbasfilho » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:14 pm

I have exacly the same problem. My icon appear for few seconds and then the joomla icon put it on the back.  >:(

ibbasfilho
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ibbasfilho » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:31 pm

Hi Zara-zee. My problem is solved with dego 007 instruction: erasing the favicon and put my one (just replacing it do not work). Need to clear the cache too. Thank you, but in the IE the icon that appear is that "E" from microsoft.

Zara-zee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Zara-zee » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:59 pm

I have removed the favicon out of the public_html folder, as well as the images folder and the template folder .....
now;
I can see the IE icon when going to certain pages, but my homepage still has the Joomla icon. ......... what else can I try?

goldenheart
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by goldenheart » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:57 pm

Zara-zee wrote: I have removed the favicon out of the public_html folder, as well as the images folder and the template folder .....
now;
I can see the IE icon when going to certain pages, but my homepage still has the Joomla icon. ......... what else can I try?
Did you try this with another template?
I love Joomla! I love Joomlians!

sirknight115
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by sirknight115 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:54 am

Did you go under Media Manager and place the favicon.ico there? If you upload the new image into the folder "image" you should  see a favicon.ico there just replace it with your's and it should work. You need to do this all with your ftp software and upload the image there. I hope this helps you out?

nmcleod
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nmcleod » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:30 pm

There is no such folder under Media in my J! 1.5 site. Most weird. Can't find favicon.ico anywhere. :(
sirknight115 wrote:Did you go under Media Manager and place the favicon.ico there? If you upload the new image into the folder "image" you should  see a favicon.ico there just replace it with your's and it should work. You need to do this all with your ftp software and upload the image there. I hope this helps you out?

adapter
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by adapter » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:57 pm

It's under the templete folder like this

templates\rhuk_milkyway\favicon.ico

hope this helps

wilmy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wilmy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:19 pm

It's not in your images folder but in \templates\rhuk_milkyway and is called favicon.ico. Make sure you save a bitmap and rename the file extension to from .bmp to .ico.

merrypippin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by merrypippin » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:39 am

wilmy wrote:It's not in your images folder but in \templates\rhuk_milkyway and is called favicon.ico. Make sure you save a bitmap and rename the file extension to from .bmp to .ico.
i adi put my own created favicon.ico in the path \templates\rhuk_milkyway ...however, i am still seeing joomla favicon. Any advide?

amarketzone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amarketzone » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:02 am

Sorry for my late answer.
For sure the cache of you browser is responsible for that. All you have to do is to clean it.

All my best!
The dream of my life: http://www.amz.ro

josephcarignan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by josephcarignan » Thu May 08, 2008 8:14 pm

I also screwed this up. I was using a 32x32 icon. Also consider this, is an icon an icon or does it have to be a certain size and/or color palette icon. So I went back and created a multi resolution icon that covers all windows platforms (sorry mac). Then cleared the browser cache after coming back here and reading this thread again.
Now the new and improved icon is uploaded to the proper directory and works like a charm. I just can't say enough about this forum and the support offered. :)

Thanks.

rchapman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rchapman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:04 pm

Using Joomla 1.5, there is no default favicon.ico in /images, and looking for one, there is one for each of my templates.

Given that I want to eventually use multiples templates for my (sizeable) site, does this mean I need to replace all of those .ico files with my own? or can I merely delete them and Joomla will default to looking in the /images folder?

~ross

cbusca
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cbusca » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:39 pm

You need to replace all of those favicon.ico files for each template folder. After you do that you can clear the caché so you can see your site's favicon.

For all of you, i've just find this page http://www.favicon.cc/ to make your own favicons without troubles. I was wasting my time with photoshop, and changing file extensions, etc. But in this page i just made a favicon really fast, and with the whole characteristics you need. The only thing you should do is to fill up every square of the grid with the color you choose, or upload a base image.

waterboy_
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by waterboy_ » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:33 am

I noticed that after changing the favicon in current template, the browser still showed the old one from cache. Refreshing didn't help so I wrote the direct address to the favicon to the address bar of my browser, for example

Code: Select all

http://yourjoomlalocation/templates/current_template/favicon.ico
With this address, the browser of course showed the correct favicon image. After this trick, the old favicon did not appear anymore.

kyleatkins
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kyleatkins » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:18 pm

place your favicon.ico in the default template root folder

kjmck
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kjmck » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:38 pm

waterboy_ wrote:I noticed that after changing the favicon in current template, the browser still showed the old one from cache. Refreshing didn't help so I wrote the direct address to the favicon to the address bar of my browser, for example

Code: Select all

http://yourjoomlalocation/templates/current_template/favicon.ico
With this address, the browser of course showed the correct favicon image. After this trick, the old favicon did not appear anymore.
Thank you.

Nothing else posted in this thread worked for me until your suggestion.

robin_coles
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by robin_coles » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:06 am

Hello,

I still can't get my favicon to show when using IE... it works fine under mozilla.

Any other suggestions?

I'm using Rhuk_milkyway also.

Joomla 1.5.8

Thanks,

Robin
Making Your Words and Stories Profitable!

Sareth2008
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Sareth2008 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:52 am

Hi guys!
I'm new in here
I just register to become a member in order to post comment in this forum.
All i want to say is Thanks!!!
I've been trying to change my favicon file for 2 days now and i begin to feel frustrated.
Then i got an idea to log to joomla forum to see anyone got problem same as i did.
I can hardly solve this problem if i haven't enter this forum. Thanks guy! Thanks!!!!!! much release

VipArt
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by VipArt » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:58 am

Clearing browser's cache doesn't help: neither in Firefox, nor in Google Chrome.

All you need to do is to open location of your favicon directly as suggested before: your-joomla-site/templates/default-template-name/favicon.ico

After doing this you should see old favicon. Simply reload the page and you'll see the new one. Then go back and everything will work fine.

The same should be done with administrator's side. Open location of
your-joomla-site/administrator/templates/khepri/favicon.ico and reload the page.

MaggiesWeb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MaggiesWeb » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:09 pm

adapter wrote:It's under the templete folder like this

templates\rhuk_milkyway\favicon.ico

hope this helps
That was the perfect solution for me, thanks.

the rock123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by the rock123 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Or you can delete all the favicons in your template folders and put your favicon in your main root folder of joomla (the same goes for the administrator area: delete the favicon from your administrator/templates/khepri and put it in your administraotr folder.)

Hope it workes.

GrahamSys LLC
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by GrahamSys LLC » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:49 am

try this:

insert following code into index.php file of your template:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="images/favicon.ico" />

after <head> and </head>

this should work.
Last edited by GrahamSys LLC on Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Joomla Development and Design Company in China.

http://www.projoomlasolution.com

-

OOmNezar
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by OOmNezar » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:22 am

After you replace favicon.ico to yourfavicon.ico restart your browser, its simply way to do.
Just that Don't do anything else.
coffee & smoke just fine
OOm Nezar

GrahamSys LLC
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by GrahamSys LLC » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:36 am

Well, generally speaking, replacing the original Joomla! favicon can solve most of the problem except the IE6.

The ultimate way is to add the compulsive code to the index.php of your template

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="images/favicon.ico" />

after <head> and </head>

and put the favicon.ico file to the media manager root folder.

this should work.
-
Joomla Development and Design Company in China.

http://www.projoomlasolution.com

-

findshare
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by findshare » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:10 am

I upgraded 1.5.9 to 1.5.14 and it changed both logo and favicon. I could change logo with no problem, however, i get strange behaviors when trying to change favicon:

I delete original (joomla) favicon.ico, then upload a new favicon.png. I check to see if its the right icon. I then rename to favicon.ico and then somehow it reverts back to the orginal joomla favicon that i just deleted!!!! When I check in my filemanager and view the icon, it is the original joomla icon instead of the icon i just uploaded seconds before and which looked fine as .png????

What am I missing?

UPDATE:

For reasons unknown, the new favicon is now showing correctly, even though it is not showing in my filemanager! So I suppose that my issue is now solved.
Chaos and disorder? Yep, I have finished my work!!
http://eyestyle.net

preets
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by preets » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:58 pm

Hey Guys i did it...
Just Create a Favicon for your site, and upload it in your template folder that's it.. it is done :) For eg.
http://www.mysite.com//templates/beez/favicon.ico

Hurray !!.. If you want to see the preview of your favicon & if you r using Mozilla thn just clear n cache n hav a look. it takes just a second.

How to clear cache:
Go to Tools Menu--> Clear Private Data-->
Now here there are many options like Browsing history , saved form cache etc..
See to it than all are unchecked, only cache has to be checked and than click on clear private data...
Finish :).
Any queries ask me.. buh bye
This is my site link.. http://www.munjokutch.com//templates/th ... avicon.ico

VipArt
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by VipArt » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:46 pm

Clearing cash doesn't help, as I mentioned before: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 8#p1728328.

The reason why your icon was OK was that you accessed it directly by URL

Fujo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Can't change Joomla favicon in bookmark menu or toolbar

Post by Fujo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:28 am

Hey guys, I thought I'd post here rather than open a new thread as its just a variation of your problem. I have favicon change in both the root folder and template folder and my favicon shows in the tab and in the address bar no problem however when I try to bookmark a page in either the bookmark menu or the toolbar it shows up as the joomla favicon. has anybody got any idea's on why this is?

I've definitely changed the favicon in the root and the templates folder so the joomla one isn't in either and I've cleared the cache several times as well as restarting the browser [mozilla] but to no avail. What's baffling me is that my favicon shows up in the tab & address bar no problem. Is there maybe somewhere else where the joomla favicon is stored?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edit: My problem seems to have corrected itself so the cache must not have been cleared! [even though I definitely did!!!]

peter4u
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by peter4u » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Regarding to the suggestion about:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="images/favicon.ico" /> after <head> and </head> ...

I had to put it like this:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="<?php echo $this->baseurl ?>/templates/beez/favicon.ico" />

Between <head> and </head>. Perhaps it helps somebody.

Regards,
Peter.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”