yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by yvolk » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:04 am

TheMBC wrote:Okay, I fixed my problem. It's a great plugin! However, it should work without each article having to be Comments >> Unsorted Comments.
Articles to be commented may be in any section/category. Only Comments of articles will be Comments >> Unsorted Comments :)

tomfox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: yvComment - Parameters Missing

Post by tomfox » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi there,

I just upgraded to the latest (1.14.0001) for Joomla 1.5.0 and the parameters no longer appear in the plugin page. I may have installed it incorrectly as I simply deleted the old version directories and replaced them with the new. So hence 3 questions:

1. How do I make the parameters re-appear? and:

2. Is there a map of the files that are installed by yvcomment? I say this as it seems that I may not have uninstalled the old version correctly.

3. Is there a dummy (aka me) guide to upgrading YV comments? I cannot see it on Yuri's otherwise excellent page.

Cheers,

T

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: How to upgrade yvComment

Post by yvolk » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:09 am

tomfox wrote:I just upgraded to the latest (1.14.0001) for Joomla 1.5.0 and the parameters no longer appear in the plugin page. I may have installed it incorrectly as I simply deleted the old version directories and replaced them with the new. So hence 3 questions:
1. How do I make the parameters re-appear?
I think, you should start from returning everything back: from coping old version's directories back to your site.
But maybe you didn't store it?
tomfox wrote: 2. Is there a map of the files that are installed by yvcomment? I say this as it seems that I may not have uninstalled the old version correctly.
Yes, its directory structure of files inside 'www' dir of zip files.
The only substansial addition (that may return parameters!) is:
file yvCommentPluginX.XX.XXX.zip/yvcomment.xml
should be copied to:
plugins/content/yvcomment.xml
- on yuor site
tomfox wrote: 3. Is there a dummy (aka me) guide to upgrading YV comments? I cannot see it on Yuri's otherwise excellent page.
1. To speed up setting of parameters, I open plugin parameters in new window before uninstall and don't close this second window. After reinstall I use info from this window to set parameters of the new version of the plugin...
2. Uninstall old version
3. Install new version

shopsilikecom
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shopsilikecom » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:17 am

Earlier -
"I just installed on 1.5.1 and everything was going well until I looked at the frontend and saw all my global settings for my articles had been overwritten. All the junk stuff I didn't want to show is now showing up (author name, date created, date modified, etc). That's not going to work. I don't use any of it and certainly don't want to change them each time on 500 articles. On one article it took all the settings off. I uninstalled and the settings are back except the one article. Can't get it back to previous settings.

Also the comment is showing up in the intro view. I don't want that either. I only wanted it to show in on the full article view. Couldn't find any where to turn it off.

It would be nice to make the date/time line much smaller. It still takes up a lot of room when you turn off the subject line.

My site design is very simple and clean so I need to be able to get rid of a lot of extras.

I'll keep watching. Still have hope for using this. extension."

Yuri
I wanted to give an update. I waited and installed your latest version a few days ago. Everything seems to be working fine. The only thing that happened again was the frontpage article (just the one at the top, the leading article) added the author, created date, modified date, icons and all that stuff again. I couldn't get it to change back no matter what I did. I ended up having to delete and recreate the article. The new one took on the settings the way it was supposed to and it works fine.

I'm really glad you added all the new functions you did, like not showing the comments in the intro view. That one alone made me try it again. It works great. :)

Thank you so much for a terrific extension and being so good about making changes and supporting your wonderful work. I hope you come up with some more super add ons for us! ;)

Any thoughts on a favorite articles page for registered members? Hint, hint...
TJ
Enjoy your day!
TJ
http://www.shopsilike.com
http://www.knowcoma.com This site will get J! once I figure out the other site. If anyone wants to help, please let me know!

vbr_82
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by vbr_82 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:54 am

Hi Yuri,

I've installed both component and plugin 1.14.001 version, my joomla version is 1.5.1, my php version is 5, and mysql 5.

I have a problem posting comments as administrator (i didn't try but maybe that will happen also with registred users), when i post a comment it repeats it 3 times the same comment, and when i try to delete 1 of 3 it deletes the all 3 comment?!

Any suggestions?!

See the example here http://www.hotfreeware.net/windows/mult ... #yvComment

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:36 am

vbr_82 wrote:Hi Yuri,
I have a problem posting comments as administrator (i didn't try but maybe that will happen also with registred users), when i post a comment it repeats it 3 times the same comment, and when i try to delete 1 of 3 it deletes the all 3 comment?!

Any suggestions?!
- Try to diasable. one by one, other extensions, to figure out, maybe some other extension interferes with yvComment...
- If no success, give me admin access to your site.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:59 am

yvolk wrote:
vbr_82 wrote:Hi Yuri,

Any suggestions?!
- Try to diasable. one by one, other extensions, to figure out, maybe some other extension interferes with yvComment...
- If no success, give me admin access to your site.
I found the cause of problem: we see 3 times the same comment of Administrator, because there are 3 Contacts linked to the same 'Administrator' User :)
- this is side effect of SQL statement, that I use.
So, please create separate User account for each Contact and link three Contacts to these three Users
- I think, this is more proper from architecture point of view...

vbr_82
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by vbr_82 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:53 pm

:laugh: Ok thanks Yuri!
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

vbr_82
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by vbr_82 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:32 am

Hi Yuri,

I have some suggestions for your comment system:

-it would be great if we can have a selectable list of comments, so we can delete, more than one comment at once
-It would be great if we can filter comments by article (comments of article), so we can reset comment for exact article
-and may be the last, will be nice to have the number of comments each user made, next to his user name
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:00 am

Thank you, vbr_82, for the suggestions!
vbr_82 wrote:-it would be great if we can have a selectable list of comments, so we can delete, more than one comment at once
You may do this now (and use some other features of Article Manager), if you "Use content table" for comments. I'm still sure, that yvComment should (re)use as mush Joomla!'s core tools, as possible, and not duplicate its code...
vbr_82 wrote:-It would be great if we can filter comments by article (comments of article), so we can reset comment for exact article
This may be some hack, extending features of the Joomla!'s "Article manager". I didn't decide, how to implement this hack, yet...
vbr_82 wrote:-and may be the last, will be nice to have the number of comments each user made, next to his user name
You may implement this in your custom template, that would override "components\com_yvcomment\views\comment\tmpl\default.php".
Or, if you "Use content table" for comments, you may think of some "Statistics" extension, that already does this (counts Articles for each Author-User)...

vbr_82
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by vbr_82 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:48 am

I attached full Bulgarian translation for the last version of yvcomment you can include it in your package for next release!
Thank you for the great component and plugins!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Using yvComment in custom components

Post by yvolk » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:39 pm

Hi Yuri,
I am developing a site using Joomla! 1.5.1 Production/Stable. I just installed yvComment to take a look. It seems very promising.

The question I have is regarding using this tool in custom components I am developing. My initial thoughts are it is too integrated with Articles to be used elsewhere. Is this correct? If not, do you have some details on how to apply it to other components?

Thanks in advance, and keep up the great work!
Nick
Hi, Nick!

Here are my suggestions:
1) You're making comments on some content, that may be:
- general 'Articles';
- news;
- other Comments;
- other (custom) 'Type of Content', that is handled by some custom component.

2) yvComment is integrated with 'content', not with Articles.
I consider Comments as special type of content, this is why jos_content table is default store for comments. In a way, yvComment 'extends' com_content.
And I think, that if you build custom component, that processes custom type of content, you should also use "Joomla!'s way" to describe (Title, Author, Date...) and classify (Section, Category) your custom content. This leads you to the natural decision, that you should 'extend com_content' and reuse jos_content table to store (at least) some part of your custom content.

Please read (and follow, if you like) discussion about extending of com_content here: Generic Pattern to extend com_content

3) You may use almost every content plugin, including yvComment, with your custom component.
Your component have to do two things:
1. Load content plugins (they are not loaded automatically, if component is not com_content)
2. Fire some event like com_content does, passing to event function sumething, that is 'like' article (but may be some other 'content' to be commented).

As an example, you may see, how yvcomment itself uses other content plugins: see code in 'components\com_yvcomment\views\comment\tmpl\default.php':

Code: Select all

if ($this->params->get('execute_content_plugins')) {
  $dispatcher = JDispatcher::getInstance();      
  $results = $dispatcher->trigger('onAfterDisplayContent', array (&$item, null, 0));
  echo trim(implode("\n", $results));
} 

vidtmp004
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by vidtmp004 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:51 pm

After installing this component now on each page after comment area there is a link to authors page:
yvComment v.1.14.2 with link.

This is actually single reason why I cannot use this component. Is there any way I can remove this link? I have a feeling that this link on each page will hurt my Googe page ranking, so there is no way I can use it like that.

Thanks

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:35 pm

vidtmp004 wrote:After installing this component now on each page after comment area there is a link to authors page:
yvComment v.1.14.2 with link.

This is actually single reason why I cannot use this component. Is there any way I can remove this link? I have a feeling that this link on each page will hurt my Googe page ranking, so there is no way I can use it like that.

Thanks
You may delete text and link to the yvComment home page from dynamic pages, but please insert this link and reference to yvComment to your "About" page of the site.
To get rid of anything in the yvComment's generated text, you have to create your customized template. yvComment has full support of "template override" for plugin and component, like for any Joomla!'s core component/module. So you may copy file 'components/com_yvcomment/views/comment/tmpl/default.php' to the directory of your template (e.g. 'templates/mytemplatename/html/com_yvcomment/comment/default.php') and customize it, as you wish. Moreover, as you may have different templates for different parts of your site, so you may have different templates for yvComment for them.

vimtmp
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by vimtmp » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:03 pm

Thank you very much for such a quick reply. I followed your steps and that was really easy. I just enabled comments on my site. Absolutely great component!

Thanks

vbr_82
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by vbr_82 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:57 am

Yuri, is it possible to add the comment link next to read more...?

Like this :

Read more... | Add Comment | Some other links

?!!

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvComment v.1.15 - 16 Language Packs

Post by yvolk » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:10 pm

What's new in v.1.15.0:

1. All translations were removed from main yvComment packages. Now yvComment Component and Plugin packages contain English language files only. All 16 translations were moved to 16 yvCommentLanguagePacks, that may be downloaded from JoomlaCode and installed separately.
There is also special, 'English language pack', that is template package to be used by translators to create additional language packs for yvComment extension.
For information, why this was done, please see the discussion in the forum: How to create language pack for Joomla! 1.5 extension.
2. Added translations:
- Bulgarian (Thanks to vbr_82).
- Hungarian (Thanks to Andor Szathmári).

Panzerknacker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Panzerknacker » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:39 pm

On my website, users are only allowed to comment when logged in, but you can not see anything related to the comments when not logged in. It sure would be nice if someone would see something beneath the article to indicate that they can comment when logged in. A text like "please login if you would like to make a comment" or something similar.

Is that something that's gonna be added?

steamcrow
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by steamcrow » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:12 pm

Great extension. Works great for me, with no problems.

However, I'm having a difficult time getting the comments link to look like it belongs to the correct article. I need to move it up.

I've tried to manipulate the css for yvComment, but it doesn't seem to help.

You can see what I'm talking about here:

http://www.steamcrow.com

(See how the comments line up with the titles below)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

vbr_82
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by vbr_82 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:50 pm

steamcrow wrote:Great extension. Works great for me, with no problems.

However, I'm having a difficult time getting the comments link to look like it belongs to the correct article. I need to move it up.

You can see what I'm talking about here:

http://www.steamcrow.com

(See how the comments line up with the titles below)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Did you try to change position of the link to be inside the article box, option that is available in yvcomment plugin (comments position)?!

Try this css code:

.NumCommentsAlone{
position:relative;
top:-20px;
}

steamcrow
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by steamcrow » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:28 pm

Awesome, that did the trick! (Position of comments)

Thank you for such a fast response.

This extension has so many options, it was easy to miss.

Thanks again for such a great tool.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:56 am

vbr_82 wrote:Yuri, is it possible to add the comment link next to read more...?
Like this :
Read more... | Add Comment | Some other links
?!!
steamcrow wrote:...I'm having a difficult time getting the comments link to look like it belongs to the correct article. I need to move it up.
Hi! I thought about these posts and decided, that they are about the same task: how to customize position of comments in the upper level content. Of cause, playing with CSS may help to move comments to the desired position, but this method is not always reliable, because structurally yvcomment's HTML text is in the same place (or two places/"positions"...).
I think, that customizing that "upper level template" (section, article...) and choosing "position of comments" there will give you much more flexibility. The only option, that should be added to yvComment is to return "Comment's HTML text" in some named property, so e.g. customized section blog template may decide, where to put that HTML text. (I suggest 'comments' property of content (article)).

The same approach is already used by yvComment itself for integration with 'Avatar/Gravatar' extension: Avatar extension returns its text in new 'avatar' property of content: $item->avatar
so my template may put it to the right place (see components/com_yvcomment/views/comment/tmpl/default.php file) simply by:

echo $item->avatar;

alpha
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alpha » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:15 pm

I don't want non-registered users to be able to post comments to a site I am working on, but with the "Allow guests to add comments" option set to "No", there is nothing that I can see that tells the user something like "Please register or log-on to add your comments" in a place similar to where the "Add your comment" link now appears. Is there some setting within the plugin that will allow me to indicate to the non-registered user that the comment system exists -- but that he/she needs to be registered and logged in to use it?

Thx!

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:58 pm

alpha wrote:Is there some setting within the plugin that will allow me to indicate to the non-registered user that the comment system exists -- but that he/she needs to be registered and logged in to use it?
No, there is no such option now. I think, that in order to stimulate users to register/to log in, you may put something like this in your template (e.g. somewhere in the header of the page):

$user =& JFactory::getUser();
  if ($user->get('guest')) {
  echo 'Please register or log-on to add your comments!';
}

alpha
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alpha » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:47 pm

...in order to stimulate users to register/to log in, you may put something like this in your template...
I already came up with a workaround like that -- more specifically:

<?php if ($my->gid < 1) {echo 'Please log in or <strong><a href="/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=registers">register</a></strong> to add your comments to articles on foobar.org';} ?>
The problem with that, though, is that it shows up everywhere on the site rather than just is associated with the content where comments are allowed. I just hate having to do workarounds like this -- so consider it an item on your wishlist for an upcoming version!!!

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:45 am

alpha wrote:
...in order to stimulate users to register/to log in, you may put something like this in your template...
I already came up with a workaround like that -- more specifically:

<?php if ($my->gid < 1) {echo 'Please log in or <strong><a href="/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=registers">register</a></strong> to add your comments to articles on foobar.org';} ?>
The problem with that, though, is that it shows up everywhere on the site rather than just is associated with the content where comments are allowed. I just hate having to do workarounds like this -- so consider it an item on your wishlist for an upcoming version!!!
You may look at this as customization, not as a workaround. In any case, "options" won't cover all needs (yvComment already seems too long to configure (too long to read manual...) for some people).
Consider another scenario: yvComment plugin may be configured to have "Access level"="Registered". So guests won't see comments at all. This is good and quite possible decision, and in this case yvComment may not help you to write "Please log in ... to see comments and add yours...".

Anyway, I'll think about your proposal (where, when and what to write..., it's not obvious)

Free4joomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Free4joomla » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:38 pm

alpha wrote:I don't want non-registered users to be able to post comments to a site I am working on, but with the "Allow guests to add comments" option set to "No", there is nothing that I can see that tells the user something like "Please register or log-on to add your comments" in a place similar to where the "Add your comment" link now appears. Is there some setting within the plugin that will allow me to indicate to the non-registered user that the comment system exists -- but that he/she needs to be registered and logged in to use it?

Thx!
yes..this is indeed an problem... it can be very confusing for users ...what can it be done for this problem?
http://free4joomla.com - Free joomla Templates

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:22 am

Free4joomla wrote:
alpha wrote:I don't want non-registered users to be able to post comments to a site I am working on, but with the "Allow guests to add comments" option set to "No", there is nothing that I can see that tells the user something like "Please register or log-on to add your comments" in a place similar to where the "Add your comment" link now appears. Is there some setting within the plugin that will allow me to indicate to the non-registered user that the comment system exists -- but that he/she needs to be registered and logged in to use it?

Thx!
yes..this is indeed an problem... it can be very confusing for users ...what can it be done for this problem?
I think, that you have do decide: what is your target audience: Registered (and logged in) users or "Guests".
- If Registered, then it would be wise to put some words about "Please register and log in..." in exact kind words, as you wish (maybe, a whole paragraph upon this subject with your reasons for such decision...) on EVERY page (how to do this - was discussed earlier).
- If Guests - just enable guests to add comments...

markp17
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by markp17 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:49 pm

Hi All

Firstly what a great and useful plugin this is..

However I am having a little trouble getting it to work on one page, not sure why.

This is what I want to do, I want to display it on the Poll results pages so people can suggest things there, but using ID15 for the poll page nothing shows up, I am sure it is something simple I am missing but no idea what.. If I remove the ID15 then it shows on all pages.

SO I know it works

any suggestions?

thanks mark

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:14 pm

markp17 wrote:Firstly what a great and useful plugin this is..
Thank you, I do believe you :) .
markp17 wrote:This is what I want to do, I want to display it on the Poll results pages...
any suggestions?
Please, let us SEE your site (and please give us exact URLs, that work and URLs, that don't work) in order to understand you and to help you.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”