how to display virtuemart products/catalog on the front page

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
wawa18
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

how to display virtuemart products/catalog on the front page

Post by wawa18 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:16 pm

I'm new to this virtuemart and joomla applications. Can someone please show me how to display the products/catalog on the main page of my website (front page). I just want them to show up the minute I type in my website. ie. http://www.example.com ---> then the products would display in the main page.

Thanks.

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: how to display virtuemart products/catalog on the front page

Post by dhuelsmann » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:16 pm

Make a menu link to the virtuemart component. Set the link to default if you are using 1.5.x or the first menu item in mainmenu if you are using 1.0.x.

In the future, please post in the correct forum. Moving to 1.5 general questions until we know what version you are using.
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

kasssim
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kasssim » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:17 pm

Sign into the admin area, go to Menu>mainmenu, unpublish the original "Home" menu item, click "New" at the top right, select "Component" and from the Component List on the left, select "VirtueMart". Be sure to name the new menu item "Home", or it will not work properly as Joomla considers the menu item "Home" to be the primary page no matter what it is actually linked to.

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by dhuelsmann » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:23 pm

kasssim wrote:..... Be sure to name the new menu item "Home", or it will not work properly as Joomla considers the menu item "Home" to be the primary page no matter what it is actually linked to.
I am sorry but you are incorrect. The word Home has nothing to do with the primary landing page in Joomla. For 1.5.x it is the menu item made the "default" item and in 1.0.x it is the menu item in the first position in mainmenu. You can call it whatever you want in either version.
Regards, Dave
Past Global Moderator

clarkhaddock
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by clarkhaddock » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:28 pm

what if we also want other information to show on the homepage and above the catalog? If i set it to the first menu and frotn page, it would show up over my other content would it not?

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by dhuelsmann » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:28 pm

clarkhaddock wrote:what if we also want other information to show on the homepage and above the catalog? If i set it to the first menu and frotn page, it would show up over my other content would it not?
You may have module positions above the main conent space. You can put whatever you want there. If you don't have module positions there now, you can easily add them to your template.
Regards, Dave
Past Global Moderator

clarkhaddock
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by clarkhaddock » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:34 pm

I have some below the main homepage content area which would work but how do i get it to show up with each category icon? In hte past, i have only been able to create a module that list links or a content article. I do not know how to do this. any suggestions?

i created a module to display on the homepage using Virtemart Product Categories but error code is showing.

the only thing that shows up is:
Warning: include(/home1/designad/public_html/anglersportswear/modules/mod_virtuemart/vm_JSCook.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home1/designad/public_html/anglersportswear/modules/mod_product_categories/mod_product_categories.php on line 62

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home1/designad/public_html/anglersportswear/modules/mod_virtuemart/vm_JSCook.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home1/designad/public_html/anglersportswear/modules/mod_product_categories/mod_product_categories.php on line 62

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”