is there a plugin or module to allow live excel sheets??

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
soundengineer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

is there a plugin or module to allow live excel sheets??

Post by soundengineer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:23 am

I want to place a useable editable excel spreadsheet in a web page...so I was wondering if anybody has built an extension to allow somebody to post an excel spreadsheet that you can change values and see the calculations complete??

basically asking if anybody has an excel spreadsheet add on for Joomla
I have a sheet that does some RF Intermod Calculations that I want to share in real time so that people can just go to my webpage and enter their info in to see the results....kind of like doing a java based calculator form in a web page as my idea...only with more data..LOL

vetstudentjenn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: is there a plugin or module to allow live excel sheets??

Post by vetstudentjenn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:56 pm

I am not sure about the legalities of something like that. You might want to look into Open Office instead. The website is openoffice.org. It has a very similar interface, but is Open Source. As for putting something like that into a website, I have no clue... sorry! :(

Best wishes!
Jenn
The soft-and-fuzzy world of veterinary medicine did not teach me anything about the hard, cold truth that is tech. Please forgive my apparent ignorance, I am quite an intelligent individual when in my element!

soundengineer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by soundengineer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:06 am

well...theres dfinately nothing illegal about what I want to do..and its a spreadsheet I created...
I just dont know how to turn a spreadsheet into a web form...and I'm hoping somebody has a simple plugin/module that will allow me to display it and the end user can plug their values in the respective boxes and have it calculate everything for the results they want...
it also makes a way for me to have my spreadsheet stay as mine and not have to worry about others stealing it as it is quite a complex task I have done in the sheet that has taken me many hard hours to build from my years of studying what it is designed for :)

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:56 am

Does the spreadsheet work on Google Documents? You may be able to put it on Google Documents, give it public access, and then either link to it or put it in an iframe on your Joomla! site.
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

vetstudentjenn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vetstudentjenn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:52 pm

This website looks promising. Anyone can use the spreadsheet, but no one can save it unless you give them permission. They give you html, so you can just make it into an article in Joomla. Now I want to make a spreadsheet cause this is so cool!

Good luck!
Jenn
The soft-and-fuzzy world of veterinary medicine did not teach me anything about the hard, cold truth that is tech. Please forgive my apparent ignorance, I am quite an intelligent individual when in my element!

soundengineer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by soundengineer » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:13 am

the google one works better at importing...
the num sum one wouldnt even take my files....dont know why...

but after playing with he google one....it sucks for sharing to the public.....
guess I'll just have to do a manual copy and paste for now or figure out why the numsum one wont import

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:41 am

it sucks for sharing to the public.....
Did you try publishing it?
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

soundengineer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by soundengineer » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:15 pm

yes...and the issue is that I have boxes that ned to be changed by the end user...(they enter their values in a few boxes...it spits out math results....wont let me do that)
just doing public sharing allows then to see it....but they cant change boxes to input their data....
and I dont want to just private share it and have to invite people....thats the only way I can add colaborators.....which is not what I want....

It needs to be web editable but not savable....
numsum seems to work the way I want it to...
and I figured out how to cut and paste it into the forst box to get all the formulas to work as well....
the regular import feature just doesnt work with any of my spreadsheets....which is not a huge deal since I figured out how to copy the formulas from the formula auditing on excel and then click the first box on the numsum page and paste it in there

brunsona
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brunsona » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:37 pm

I've used this tool on several web sites - http://www.spreadsheetconverter.com/

You create the spreadsheet, convert it (several options), upload it, use a menu-wrapper.
The formatting shifts during the conversion so it may take a few passes to get the online version to look the way you want. Most basic Excel functions convert, some advanced do okay.

They have a free trial.

Here's a page from one of my client's sites using it - http://metrohurricane.com/general/quickquote.html

-a-

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”