Idea: Advanced search capabilities

bigodines
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Idea: Advanced search capabilities

Post by bigodines » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:51 pm

Hello!

Here is an idea to extend Joomla! search capabilities to make it more powerful.

From the wiki (http://docs.joomla.org/Code_01060):
"Advanced search capabilities including specific content types including third party extensions, section and category, weighted searches, Ajax support, multiple tabbed results sorted differently include most recent, relevance, external API's like Google and Yahoo"

I already started something like this for Joomla! 1.5 beta 1 (hehe old times): add multi-site searching using the new XML-RPC services of J! 1.5. So if you have 5 Joomla! sites, you can enable XML-RPC and search all of them at "the same time". I think we could add this to the extended search component.

This thread is for suggestions. "Advanced search" is generic and we will need to define a scope. What would u love to see Joomla's next generation search component?

Oh, and this thread is also for student candidates, as I'm not a student anymore I can (and would love to!) only help as a mentor :P

-bigo

RossiKamal
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Idea: Advanced search capabilities

Post by RossiKamal » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:54 pm

Hello
I am Rossi Kamal ...Student of Computer Science & Engineering from Dhaka University. Bangladesh.. With experience in CMS based web development & database access & authentication in different environments( php-mysql,php-access ,jsp-oracle,jsp-mysql ) .I do programming & algorithm is my passion . As a coder it would be my pleasure to contribute to the advanced search engine joomla

Here is my thoughts about your proposed advanced search approach

1.The advanced search engine firstly includes as much meta info as tags as possible ..so the search would result from upto the body of the content...at present many search engines are still dependent on the meta tags given from the category header or content header or given tags.If the content of the article or the like is dynamically added as tag information that should be the best strategy

2.When we search for..we type something in the textbox
advanced search engine would be like

search [ ...... ]

for example we are searching SOC.the match so far found would be displayed with ajax tab near to the textpad.
if we write S ..the strings starting with S should be displayed on the ajax tab[it will contain where the information is found also ] -then S we typed should have color green.....when we write the next letters same way result should be published..when we finish not finding the latest letter for example to find SOG...SOK will be with red color..

Side effect: we can think that often unnecessay output would come for the first letters...
we can customize that as
a.start showing result when the first word is typed
b.start showing result when string has 1/more letters
c. start showing result when string is finished

Its much like the spell checker we use in ms-word or the function or variabe definitions showen by the IDES developed for different languages ( as we can say java support from jcreator )

3.The result should be as much user friendly as possible
AJAX tabs shoudl help on that
we can categories the cms modules for search & ajax tabs should be expanded to subdivisions upto the desired output is reached

for example if SOC is in article -saturday-GOOGLE-SOC
YAHOO-mail
[youtube]-video

then tab would be expanded to SOC entry from the article

the user can customize that also if he does not choose to see the directory .

4. JPEG mpeg or the third party extension entries should be given place when it is inserted to the server.
As a result the result would be faster if we can categories from early that we are searching this type of file....
So all ile extension should be considered as a separate category for search

Rossi

lgalarra
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lgalarra » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:08 am

Greetings Matheus,

My name is Luis Galárraga, I am Computer Engineering student at FIEC department (ESPOL university, Guayaquil-Ecuador) and have considerable experience using Joomla. Unfortunately I posted a message with a similar idea before discovering this thread. I am interested in extending search extension capabilities. I have not analyzed the problem in detail, but at first I identified two possible approaches for doing this: indexing content from all tables of the Joomla installation (in order to considered information from all components in the search) or defining a kind of interface which should be implemented by extensions developers to provide only relevant information (a mixture of both is also possible). I would like to know your opinion about this ideas. I am really interested in participating in GSoC.

Regards,
Luis

bigodines
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by bigodines » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:50 pm

Hola Luis,

Joomla! already allows extension developers to add their components to the search, all they have to do is create a search plugin and install it.

@Luis and Rossi,

I'm really looking forward to reading your project applications next week with a more detailed description. Keep the ideas coming ;)

-bigo

ps: happy easter 4 all! :D

Smurray
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Smurray » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:10 am

Hi, my name is Steven Murray and I'm a student currently attention Old Dominion university.

I hope to do a flexible search module (or component) -- the search module will include not only tools that have already been integrated with Joomla to some extent: phpBB, Mantis (both php+mysql based); but also flat files (such as from a wiki system such as MoinMoin), and link with external API's/resources like Google and Wikipedia. The flexible search module will integrate three types of searches -- database-based (mysql), file-based and web-based (such as Google, Yahoo, or a search API by wikipedia, Flickr, etc.).

Certainly, the search module will support weighted searches (weight configurable through Joomla admin interface), Ajax support, and multiple sort orders (most recent, relevance, etc.).

bigodines
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by bigodines » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:28 pm

Dear students: the application process is open, please read the guidelines and submit your *detailed* project proposals.

for more info: http://www.joomla.org/content/view/4725/1/

RossiKamal
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by RossiKamal » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:39 am

Can we start working on this
I am interested to work

Was busy with another GSOC project ..thats why i could not give my best effort to it..Even though I got attention from u mentors with my incomplete application..

Hey I wanna work on my proposal right here independently

Philipcare
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Philipcare » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:02 am

JOOMLA 1.5 has its own Search, but which is the best multi-search extension available right now? ???

Philipcare
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Philipcare » Wed May 21, 2008 10:27 am

In order to bypass the lack of "User rights" designation in several webpages, we're running several JOOMLA! websites next to each other, so a multi-site Search extension would be very usefull.
Any ideas if something like "Multi-site Search" exist or is being developed ?
:eek:

flatfeemls
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by flatfeemls » Sat May 24, 2008 9:58 am

Of course I think search could be updated. Google can be updated. Its a program just like any application.

Return to “Proposed projects”