rhuk solarflare ii to work with 1.5

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
tr1
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

rhuk solarflare ii to work with 1.5

Post by tr1 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:19 am

Have done a quick search but can't find the answer to this.
How can I modify the rhuk solarflare template so that it works in 1.5 (not in legacy mode) or is there a modified version already available?
I want to upgrade my site to 1.5 but this original 1.0.x template doesn't work and i don't want to change the look of my site with a new template.
Thanks in advance

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: rhuk solarflare ii to work with 1.5

Post by HarryB » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:32 pm

You can download a Joomla! 1.5 version of the RHUK Solarflare template here...

http://rc.hrpr.com/

tr1
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tr1 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:57 pm

Hi HarryB
That's great. Thank you very much. Unfortunately, I'm having a few problems with it and I don't know why. When I use it on my local 1.5 install (xampp), it doesn't display properly. Even with a clean 1.5.2 install it still doesn't work properly. The main menu doesn't disply correctly and the the right column isn't where it shoud be. I have attached a snapshot so you can see what I mean. Any ideas what the problem might be?
Thanks
rhuk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HarryB » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:01 pm

Strtange one...Same thing happening to me...using wampserver locally with WinXp. Does not render correctly on local PC with either FF or IE. Downloaded and used version of template I have installed at rc.hrpr.com which renders correctly there...but does not locally!

Need to think about this one a bit...can't figure out what's going on ???

HarryB
If you need a helping hand, use the one at the end of your own arm.
www.hrpr.com

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HarryB » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:29 pm

Ok...it's all starting to come back to me...

1. Modify all the vertical modules based on main_menu to use the "legacy-vertical" menu type...also change the module and menu class suffixes to a blank value

2. Make top horizontal menu "Legacy-flat list" and make menu class suffix = "-nav"

This will fix the menu rendering problems. Think other probems are also result of different module and component default parameter values in 1.0.x and 1.5.

Hope this helps some...
www.hrpr.com

tr1
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tr1 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:01 am

Thanks HarryB, will give it a go today. One other thing - what did you use to get ypur paths search engine friendly? They lookl so much better than the paths that 1.5 creates when the SEF is switched on in 'configuration'.
regards
Richard

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HarryB » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:19 pm

Just using 1.5 built-in SEF with parameters set as follows...if you look at links other than those in menus, think you will see the "1.5 style" paths. I suspect the structure of sample data was purposely set up to show 1.5 features at their best.... ;)

Search Engine Friendly URLs = Yes
Use Apache mod_rewrite = Yes
Add suffix to URLs = No

Note: will ty to figure out what the root cause(s) of remaining rendering issues are today if I can find some time...
www.hrpr.com

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HarryB » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:59 pm

Well, yet one more time the "obvious" was not (at least in my case)! Joomla!'s menu-centric design led me astray... :(

Go to the Menu Manager and edit the first item (Home) in the Main Menu. In "Parameters -basic", set "Columns" to 1. Solarflare does not like the two-column format!

I've always had trouble with this parameter being buried in the menu system...can't ever remember where it is. Seems much more intuitive to me to have this as an article type parameter rather than in the menu system. But I guess all's well that ends well.

regards,

HarryB
www.hrpr.com

tr1
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tr1 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:53 pm

Thanks Harry for all your help. Followed all your instructions and now it's working fine. Hope this thread can be of help to others who may want to keep the classic solarfare look with their new 1.5 installation. Btw, congrats on keeping a classic design alive. Will add this thread to my favourites as I'm sure I'll need to refer to it in the future (not very good at keeping notes!) Will let you know if i run into any more probs in the future.
thanks again
Richard

tylerkinch
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tylerkinch » Tue May 06, 2008 2:15 am

Hi,

Thank you Harry for doing this.

I'm trying to get my altered version of this template to work properly in version 1.5.2, but it is not working.

Here is the site: http://www.ward11calgary.ca

Here is the original: http://www.kinchdesigns.ca/ward11

As you can see, the menu buttons do not extend all the way across the column. Also, the titles of the menu "Main menu" do not have the gray bar going across the name.

How do I fix this?

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HarryB » Tue May 06, 2008 1:41 pm

Have you found the problem? I looked at your site this morning with both IE and FF. Menu looks fine...has two items...Home and Issues.

Your front page is blank except for header at top and Issues page has title, author, etc. but no body text. Is this what it is supposed to look like?
www.hrpr.com

tylerkinch
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tylerkinch » Wed May 07, 2008 3:13 am

Yep,

Thanks for responding. But I fixed it. It fixed after I changed the module and menu class suffixes to a blank value. I thought I already did that for some reason.

theonion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by theonion » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:16 pm

I'm having the same problem with my site:

http://www.arden-theatre.com/joomla

As you can see, the 'hover' colours on the top menu just don't seem to be working correctly... can anyone advise? Have tried all of the above things.

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HarryB » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:51 pm

theonion wrote:I'm having the same problem with my site:

http://www.arden-theatre.com/joomla

As you can see, the 'hover' colours on the top menu just don't seem to be working correctly... can anyone advise? Have tried all of the above things.
Have you found the problem? Looks ok to me when using Firefox 2.0.0.14 and IE 7.05x.

Are you using IE6 or IE 5? If so, that may be the cause. I don't have IE6 or blow available, so can't verify that.
www.hrpr.com

theonion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by theonion » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:20 pm

Yeah - it does seem to have improved a little and now looks a lot neater than it did.

Thank you very much, by the way, for the template - it's great!

theonion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by theonion » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:19 pm

I wonder though if someone could help me with the following: probably will need either some HTML or CSS editing (I can't actually work out quite where to attack).

I'm trying to change the top menu bar (so 'user3' and 'user4') so that its backgroudn color is red. And I can't find any way to do it... in the options or as a tag which works when inserted into any of the extras.

Could someone advise? The website is: http://www.arden-theatre.com/joomla

theonion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by theonion » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:30 pm

I just realised that that wasn't too clear: what I mean is how to remove the extra red on the top menu which bleeds into the white border.

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HarryB » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:20 am

Dont' quite understand what you want...are you talking about removing the red background when mouse hovers over the item?

If so, try this:

ul#mainlevel-nav li a:hover
{
color: yellow;
background: transparent;
www.hrpr.com

theonion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by theonion » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:28 am

Sorry, no - getting the hover-over to match up with the size of the button itself... at the moment, when you hover over the buttons, there's space at either side of the 'hover' area before it meets the border.

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HarryB » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:45 am

Try this:

ul#mainlevel-nav li
{
display: block;
padding-left: /*10px;*/ 0;
padding-right: /*10px;*/ 0;

ul#mainlevel-nav li
{
display: block;
padding-left: /*10px;*/ 20px;
padding-right: /*10px;*/ 20px;
www.hrpr.com

theonion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by theonion » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:54 am

Amazing. But since I've done that the whole page seems to want to scroll inexplicably to the right - there's a whole load of space and I can't work out why it's there.... I don't think it was before..

R

theonion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by theonion » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:57 am

And also on one of my friend's monitors (her screen shot) the page displays as follows: what can I do about this?
ardenpage.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HarryB » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:25 pm

theonion wrote:Amazing. But since I've done that the whole page seems to want to scroll inexplicably to the right - there's a whole load of space and I can't work out why it's there.... I don't think it was before..

R
Looks OK on my pc...here it is using Firefox 2.0.x with 1024x768 browser viewport:
rhukff.png
And here it is using IE7 with 1024x768 viewport:
rhukie.png
Notice on IE that horizontal scroll shows at bottom, but in Firefox, it does not. I'm not familiar with the Simple Image Rotator module but I would start by looking at its configuration parameters. The 600px wide by 200px high should maybe be reversed?? And maybe 200px is still to wide. Think the sidebars are set at 165px or so.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<!-- JoomlaWorks "Simple Image Rotator" Module (v1.2) starts here -->
<noscript>
<div class="message">Sorry, but Javascript is not enabled in your browser!</div>
</noscript>
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
var embedSIRCSS = '<' + 'style type="text/css" media="all">'
+ '@import "modules/mod_jw_sir/mod_jw_sir/mod_jw_sir.css";'
+ 'ul#jw-sir,ul#jw-sir li#jw-sir-loading {width:600px;height:200px;}'+ '</' + 'style>';
document.write(embedSIRCSS);
-->
</script>
www.hrpr.com

theonion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by theonion » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:09 am

Amazing - yes I think you're right, and I think that's solved it. Could you bear with me to answer another two irritating questions - I really do appreciate your help so far.

Firstly, is why I'm getting an error message in IE on viewing the following page:

http://www.arden-theatre.com/joomla/ind ... &Itemid=55

I just can't see what's wrong with it - and it appears to be functioning fine.

Secondly - is there a way to make the 'Productions' button not display a page itself but just release the sub-menu items underneath it?

Thanks,

Rob

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HarryB » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:55 pm

First off, fix these CSS errors:
------------------------------------
URI : http://www.arden-theatre.com/joomla/tem ... te_css.css
285 a#active_menu:hover Value Error : color Invalid number #yellow
648 .mosimage_caption Value Error : text-transform normal is not a text-transform value : normal

Not sure, but believe this one may be source of error on Julius Caesar" page...

URI : http://www.arden-theatre.com/joomla/ind ... &Itemid=55150 Value Error : font-family Generic family names are keywords, and therefore must not be quoted. : 'Arial','sans-serif'

Production button:
----------------------

I appears that the production button is confgure to show a category list of category "julius Caesar." But nioether the Julius Caesar or other suib-items belog to this category.

However, here is what I woud try:

1. confgure the production button as a URL poinbting to the home page (i.e., http://www.arden-thearte.com)
2. define a category such as "productions" and put all the subitem pages in this categoy...just for neatness sake and in case you want to use a category list in future.
3. And keep them all as subitems to the production button as you now have them.
www.hrpr.com

theonion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by theonion » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:23 pm

Thanks for that: production button working a treat.

Still no luck on the errors though.. something to do with the Simple Image Gallery perhaps - but I can't see what I'm doing wrong? And it works OK in Firefox?

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HarryB » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:12 pm

I've ssen this type of error many times before...was hopng to get lucky with the css fix. There are subtle differences betwewen the implementation of javascript on IE and other browsers. Try getting in touch with the developers and asking about a fix for this, especialy if you have paid for this plugin.
www.hrpr.com

theonion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by theonion » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:00 am

Have tried the developers by e-mail and their forum and they're just not responding at all - I was considering paying for the pro version of this plugin, but with this sort of support there's no chance I'm forking out for it.

Could anyone recommend a better solution for this Simple Image Gallery problem?

I've come across a few more little oddities - the template seems ever so slightly too large to fit onto the screen in 800 x 600 - is there a way of making it fit?

And, even though it's the same page, the red banner at the bottom of the home page shifts to the left when you click on the 'Production' link in the main menu.

Thanks for all your help thus far!

theonion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by theonion » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:32 am

And also, if you click and hold on the left hand buttons, the area that it selects is much bigger than the button... how?

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HarryB » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:19 pm

Could anyone recommend a better solution for this Simple Image Gallery problem?
Did you look here?
[url]htp://extensions.joomla.org/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=listcats&cat_id=1821&Itemid=35[/url]?
I've come across a few more little oddities - the template seems ever so slightly too large to fit onto the screen in 800 x 600 - is there a way of making it fit?
The template is designd for screen sizes of 1024 x 768 and above. If you want to attempt to make it fit within and 800 x 600 screen, try changing this to a smaller value to everywhere you find ity in the template_css.css file.

width : 635px;

For example change
width : 635px;

to;

width : 440px;

I believe the sidebars are each 165px wide, so you already have 330px allocated and you probably do not want to have the total with any larger than 770px or so. You will probably have to experiment with this to get it to exactly the width you are looking for.

In addition, you can pick up some more space by decreasing the magin between the page body margin:

body { margin : 15px;

And you may also have to adjust the with of the banner image too.

Lots of work but if you absolutely need 800 x 600, no other easy way to do it.
And, even though it's the same page, the red banner at the bottom of the home page shifts to the left when you click on the 'Production' link in the main menu.
Gremlins..or maybe goblins or trolls or evil dwarves...who knows! :eek:
www.hrpr.com

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”