my 1.5.3 sites refuse to install any extensions

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: my 1.5.3 sites refuse to install any extensions

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:04 pm

Ian -

That was very kind and much appreciated. I must admit - I agree with Elin that it was starting to seem like a woman's perspective and experience was not taken seriously. We are trying to help. We do know a thing or two, having helped many people before with their problems in the forums. Your comments more than resolve any hard feelings I had. Thank you for taking time and being considerate enough to say that.

Hopefully, someone who has this problem will come forward and we can try to see what's going on. Now that your problem is resolved, I don't think your site will be helpful for debugging (but, it's good it's working!)

You turned the page on this thread, Ian, with your kindness. Thank you.
Amy :)

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by willebil » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:24 pm

See the email where you have been given full and open access to a site down to root level. I have uploaded the same build of 1.5.3 as I have used on all my other sites so that you are working on as level a playing field as I can find. Only other thing is that I might have to rollback PHP to an earlier version if that is needed. Just say the word.
Not sure who you send it to, but certainly not me...
No, that's not what I said. When you first install Joomla it doesn't write to configuration.php as there is no such file so it provides the text for you to paste into a blank configuration.php. What I noticed was, that pasted text is changed considerably once you make any changes in Global Configuration. Comparison of a before and after file will show that parameters and values will change in several places as well as the whole layout changing.
Joomla! will present you with the option to copy/paste the contents of the configuration.php file only when Joomla! is not able to write the configuration.php file during installation. The only moment that the configuration is changed by Joomla! is when you modify the global settings, and yes depending on the values you change the details can change a lot ;) So to resolve this last issue, I would am curious if you can replay this problem. Please contact me if this is the case, we then can work something out to validate where the problem is. As far as I now understand it looks like a problem related to being able to write the changes to the configuration.php file (but I am not sure).

Maybe I am mis-reading your last reply and the problem is solved with the fire-fox pup-up solution provided by Amy, if this is the case ignore the above :D

Feel free to contact me at [email protected] or skype chat

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by willebil » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:27 pm

Ignore first part of my previous reply...your mail just came in after a two hour delay...

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:48 pm

AmyStephen wrote: I must admit - I agree with Elin that it was starting to seem like a woman's perspective and experience was not taken seriously.
Oh no, never would I consciously do that. If it has appeared that way then again, my abject apologies to you and Elin. I only ever focus on the message, never the messenger.
Let me digress a moment.
Amy, I was an absolutely outspoken voice in my recent years at University (in 98-00 as a mature age student) when I strongly campaigned for promotions to introduce young ladies to the IT industry. I even tried to set up Grace Hopper Days on my own back but struck a brick wall from the 'libbers' who I believe could not understand the motives of a guy encouraging women into the IT industry. I never accepted and still don't accept the huge gender bias in IT. The right people for the job are not getting the opportunities, the training nor the recognition they deserve. And I do not say this just to be a suck up, these beliefs have been with me for many years
But I digress.
If we didn't take the messages seriously it would only have been because we were hearing what we had heard before, and tried, and found wanting. We didn't, and still don't believe, that the only way to fix this mess is to follow those three items. We believe they may be factors but that other things are at play as well, and Joomla stands as a big target in our eyes.
My goal ,and I believe that also of Bill, is to get all of the cards out on the table, dissect the problems one by one till we can agree on a commonality, then squash that bug so hard it never comes back!

That's why I have jumped at the offer from Wilco to provide him with a playing field where he can try out what he wants in order to track down the problems. If there are others with that level of experience and trust then the same offer is open to them, his was just the first that gave me an idea what he was seeking. It most certainly isn't a 'job for the boys', just a job for the first one to put a hand up and ask nicely.
Cheers, Ian
"Always remember. Love is the purest feeling, the wisest thought and the strongest reason. Always!"
by Sea-Life

SpacePyrit
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SpacePyrit » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:58 pm

I have read some of this forum (not all for time's sake), and it seems that some of the Joomla Core Team should be looking into this. Ever since I upgraded to J1.5.3, I have not been able to install any extensions. I have multiple sites and sub-sites that run on J1.5.3, and all get the same error when I try to install a zip package:

* JFTP::mkdir: Bad response
* JFTP::chmod: Bad response
* JFTP::store: Bad response
* Warning! - Failed to move file

Any help? I tried turning debug on but didn't get anything. I am not a coding guy and know very little PHP and Mysql.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:01 pm

Ilox - I still stand by my email to you today :laugh: - without picking on the newbies, perhaps if everyone checked with different browsers then half of the help questions would be resolved, sorry i didnt think of that,

I would offered and continue offer to help out but as you know the joomla installs i have are running in so many different ways its difficult to judge and i use mozzy based browsers so am perhaps used to it all. also a pair of fresh eyes...

could you do a summary of the problems still existing as this is heading for a 6 page topic and some of us are getting a bit lost especially those new to this topic. (and its not a blonde moment! :-[ )

I would just like to add that I am not having the same issues as Ian, and we share the same hosting setup for a few accounts)

(as Ian can state, I am definate a Girl Geek)
Claire
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:19 pm

SpacePyrit wrote:I have read some of this forum (not all for time's sake), and it seems that some of the Joomla Core Team should be looking into this. Ever since I upgraded to J1.5.3, I have not been able to install any extensions. I have multiple sites and sub-sites that run on J1.5.3, and all get the same error when I try to install a zip package:

* JFTP::mkdir: Bad response
* JFTP::chmod: Bad response
* JFTP::store: Bad response
* Warning! - Failed to move file

Any help? I tried turning debug on but didn't get anything. I am not a coding guy and know very little PHP and Mysql.
Do you absolutely need a core team member? Or, will another member of the Joomla! community suffice?

Please provide your system information (Apache, PHP, MySQL) and your file permissions. Use the Forum Post Assistant link in the pink box above this thread.

Thanks,

SpacePyrit
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SpacePyrit » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:09 pm

size=90]Problem Description:
Well, that was just a suggestion, I do not need a core Joomla team member, I was saying if it was a problem with Joomla, then they need to look into it, but what do I know? Well, here is my server info, hope it helps.

[/size]Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.3 Production/Stable [ Vahi ] 22-April-2008 22:00 GMT
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 777 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.4.33.2 ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/1.3.35 (Unix) ApacheJServ/1.1.2 PHP/4.4.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Rewrit/1.1a ( http://www.pewsondor.com ) | PHP Version: 4.4.4
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Enabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Disabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): No | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.26-standard-log ( pewsondor.com via TCP/IP )

Extended Information:
SEF: Disabled (without ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Enabled | htaccess: Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)
PHP Environment: API: apache | MySQLi: No | Max. Memory: 18388608 | Max. Upload Size: 20971520 | Max. Post Size: 20971520 | Max. Input Time: -1 | Zend Version: 1.3.0
Disabled Functions:
MySQL Client: 4.0.26 ( latin1 )

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:32 pm

Claire,

You have the same hosting environment with Ian before or after he made the changes that fixed his site?

If you have the before, you're not having the same problem?

It would be really good to compare global configuration between a site that worked and one that didn't.

Space,

You're the second person today I've seen wiht php 4.4.4 and having problems. We're going to do a little digging to see if there is some specific issue with that.

update:

Also again if you would put error reporting on maximum and also check your apache logs that would be helpful.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:11 pm

Space,

Looking at your data I also see a few things that worry me but the most important are:

PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)

and

global registers enabled.

When your user and server accounts are not the same that creates what we have been calling the ownership problem. Can you please ask your host to change the ownership to you.

In terms of global registers, this is dangerous for your site. Please ask your host how to turn them off or follow the instructions on the wiki.

http://docs.joomla.org/Security_and_Performance_FAQs
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:48 am

mcsmom wrote:Claire, You have the same hosting environment with Ian before or after he made the changes that fixed his site? If you have the before, you're not having the same problem?
It would be really good to compare global configuration between a site that worked and one that didn't.
Claire hosts several of my sites on her own little space of heaven and has been a constant source of help and support as I worked through the nightmare of setting up my own VPS through the same provider. Believe me, if I had ever given her any grief over being female and into IT she would have knocked it out of me by now :-[
I have not run any 1.5.x sites under Claire's space but I am doing so right now as it would be a useful comparison. All of the installs on my VPS have been J1.5.1 and later 1.5.3. None of my .3 sites would allow installs until I had Claire merge in the suphp module into PHP and that move was taken when I spotted some files under the 'nobody' ownership, something that I have had constant problems with over in Claire's space.. Once Install worked I didn't look any further into permissions etc. And as I have said before, with the troubles in FTP Layer I have it set to blank.
Cheers, Ian
"Always remember. Love is the purest feeling, the wisest thought and the strongest reason. Always!"
by Sea-Life

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:15 am

So I installed in Claire's environment and yep, the Install refused to work. This post is mostly documentation so that helpers can work through the problems. To start here is the environment and yep, Globals are on and the ISP has been requested countless times to fix it. Don't ask.
Problem Description:
Unable to install extensions
Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.3 Production/Stable [ Vahi ] 22-April-2008 22:00 GMT
configuration.php: Not Writable (Mode: 644 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.18-53.1.6.el5xen ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.5 ( mysite.org ) | PHP Version: 5.2.5
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Enabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 4.1.22-standard ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

Extended Information:
SEF: Disabled (without ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Disabled | htaccess: Implemented
PHP Environment: API: apache2handler | MySQLi: No | Max. Memory: 32M | Max. Upload Size: 2M | Max. Post Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 2.2.0

Disabled Functions:
MySQL Client: 4.1.22 ( latin1 )

So this screengrab shows the permissions and ownership for the installation:
j15_installed.jpg
And this screengrab shows the status of the /tmp folder
j15_installed_tmp_folder.jpg
So anticipating it to fail on an install I tried to install com_ninjaXplorer.zip and this was the result;
j15_install_failure.jpg
Ok, please guide me on what you want to know about this install.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:03 am

Most likely you don't own the files and folders. Ask the host to change the ownership to your account.

How did you upload? Did you use FTP or cpanel to move the file?
Did you move the zip file or did you unzip locally and then move the files?

robbiedunne
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by robbiedunne » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi Everyone, experts to rookies,

I started Joomla 1.5.3 last week and have really got to grips with how to make my site look how I want. I then also found extensions that would add the functionality i want and everything s great on a local xampp host. As soon as I went live the extensions stopped working. I have the latest PHP 5.2.5 and have tried this earlier suggestion:

1.The permissions were not set to writeable on for the Components and Administrator----->Components directory.
2.The path to the tmp file in my home directory was not picked up properly by Joomla in the Global Configuration. Once I entered the actual path, it all seemed to work.

But it did not work for me. I have been trying in vain to understand all the talk of configuring this that and the other but it's way over my head.

I'm in ireland anr we don't use fire fox here, mainly IE and Safari. I set up with IE on xampp and when going live if that's any help.

Can anyone PLEASE PLEASE give me a Fix Your Joomla for Dummies post to get this going? All i need is for 2 extensions to work and I'm sorted.

Thanks a million

Robbie

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:51 pm

mcsmom wrote:PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)
Most likely you don't own the files and folders. Ask the host to change the ownership to your account.
Yes, a regular question for him, at least until I can convince him to install the suphp module. I do 'own' the files and folders, I can do anything I like with them. The only problem will come once the software accepts an install, then I will have the files owned by 'nobody' and the account showing as 99. Then I'll have to request him to chown them back to me so I can modify them.
mcsmom wrote:How did you upload? Did you use FTP or cpanel to move the file?
Did you move the zip file or did you unzip locally and then move the files?
I took the files from the unzipped version already on my HD, that way it is the same build and elements as the ones I have been working with on my own site. I uploaded them using SmartFTP as I always do.
One thing that was different is that before installation I followed a tip from Bill and created a blank configuration.php file. This was the first install where the software actually created a file for me instead of cutting and pasting. I doubt it makes much difference but it was a change.
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:09 pm

Ian, please try this.

In a new folder, upload the zipped install file.
Unzip on your host (you can usually do this with cpanel).
Then run your install without the blank file and report back what happens.

Thanks

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:16 pm

@Robbie,

Please use the forum post assistant and post the results here.

SpacePyrit
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SpacePyrit » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:15 pm

mcsmom wrote:Space,

Looking at your data I also see a few things that worry me but the most important are:

and

global registers enabled.

When your user and server accounts are not the same that creates what we have been calling the ownership problem. Can you please ask your host to change the ownership to you.

In terms of global registers, this is dangerous for your site. Please ask your host how to turn them off or follow the instructions on the wiki.

http://docs.joomla.org/Security_and_Performance_FAQs
I got Register Globals off. But my host is doing something strange with the PHP/suExec. They say "we don't run PHP under suexec (it has to be run as a cgi for that to work). the typical install of PHP is as the apache (web) user." So I had to forego this and do with what I have. I tried installing a zip file and same problems. Am I stuck?

Jooming
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Jooming » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:49 pm

AmyStephen wrote:I have reproduced the situation on my own machine.

Go to the Tools-Options-Security menu option in Firefox:
Make certain the "Remember passwords for site" checkbox is selected.
Click the "Exceptions" button and make certain your site is not listed as an exception (if it is, remove it.)
Then, logoff the Administrator.
Logon the Administrator.
Allow Firefox to save your Admin username and password.
Return to the FTP page.
Add FTP user and password information.
Press Save.
Firefox will prompt you to save a password, again.

To stop this from happening:

Return to the Tools-Options-Security menu option in Firefox.
Deselect the "Remember passwords for site" checkbox.
Or - add your site to the "Exceptions" button.
When you return to the FTP page, you will no longer be prompted.
Hello Amy,

I just wanted to let you know that I tested this out using other browsers and you were right. I cannot reproduce this occurrence on any browser other than Firefox. It didn't make any sense to me since it was inside the application when it occurred and Firefox normally won't do such a thing. My mistake!

I also wanted to thank you for following through on your word and checking this out with the developers to test the issue. I appreciate that.

Thanks again for your help!
Bill
Jooming (Bill) :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:01 am

Bill - your welcome - no problem at all. Everyone having fun, yet? :D

We were talking in the Bug Squad about how frustrating this is to not be able to help everyone figure out their web hosting environments and be able to tell you exactly what to say to your Web host.

As harsh as this might sound, we have to admit, we simply do not have enough volunteers to get that invested in everyone's Web sites. These are your Web sites - your Web hosts. We don't have access to the sites and we don't want access to the sites.

RussW, a much appreciated contributor here at Joomla!, created a series of tools because of situations like this. For those of you, like Ian and Space, who have mixed ownership situations, you will have some work to do if your web host won't clear up those issues.

The Joomla! Tools Suite has a number of great tools to help you. Download it. Read the install.txt file. Follow the instructions. Once you have the application up, of Joomla!, disregard the message about not being able to locate the Joomla! instance and look at the "Directory and File Permissions Audit" tab.

There are links on that page in that application that reference documents Russ wrote to help you understand ownership and permissions. Read those documents - and be forewarned - the material is thickly geeky - you might have to take notes. You might have to spend some time on this. If you do, you *will* figure out your hosting environment.

Joomla! must have write access to the tmp directory (and other folders, as well. But, start with tmp.) That is probably the first point of failure you are all seeing. Joomla! must be able to write files in the tmp folder to assist with the installation process. If there is a mismatch in your User and Web Server accounts, there are likely permission issues you will need to straighten out with your Web host.

We will try to help but let us all clearly understand that the responsibility is yours, and yours alone. Please take time to really study your web host situation. If you want to blame Joomla!, fine! You certainly can, but, you are just wasting time. It all boils down to whether or not Joomla! has permission to write a file. Simple. Get the user and permissions right - and you will be able to install extensions from JED all day and all night long.

Give it a try. What will be very encouraging is when some of you start figuring it out and begin helping one another. That's the power of community we need to see here.

Amy

Edit - added "disregard the message about not being able to locate the Joomla! instance"
Last edited by AmyStephen on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreggInSanDiego
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by GreggInSanDiego » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:01 am

As per instructions I am posting in this thread ...

Well, I installed JTS correctly and it says "JTS was unable to locate your Joomla! instance! Is JTS installed in the correct directory?"

I have Joomla set as the root folder for this domain and placed JTS within that directory as instructed.

Supposedly, I am the owner of the Joomla! directory (folder) and everything within. But, I am not sure if I loaded the Joomla when I was using a remote desktop software or via apple file protocol and I am not sure if it makes a difference since.

Right now, doing a permissions repair on the server.

As for permissions, what needs what permission level or ownership?

Thank you.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:15 am

Gregg -

This tool is designed to be used with an earlier release of Joomla!, so, please disregard the message about not being able to locate the Joomla! instance. The "Directory and File Permissions Audit" tab is what should be of service if you are trying to figure out if the Web server has appropriate authority. (And it works.)

If the FTP user is different that the remote desktop software user, then, yes, it could make a difference. The user that installed the Joomla! Web site would be the owner. If that is the same user as that which runs the Web server, then there is no mismatch in ownership and all should go well. Joomla! has to be able to write to many of it's folders (including tmp) and to the configuration file.

I'll have to ask that you sort out what that means in your environment.

GreggInSanDiego
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by GreggInSanDiego » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:55 am

Amy,

Interestingly enough, I used the JTS > Assessment > Directory and File Permissions Audit and it showed that all were writable and had the same UserID/GroupID for Ownership and WebServer (501), and except for a few files all were Mode 707, plus all directories were writable except:

../tmp/install_4859bab420c65/mod_missingmeta 501 501 0755 501 501 Unwriteable
../tmp/install_4859bab420c65 501 501 0755 501 501 Unwriteable

the test file I tried to upload.

Otherwise 606 permissions for:

../.htaccess
../administrator/.DS_Store
../administrator/components/.DS_Store
VirtueMart files
cache
../configuration.php
../logs/error.php
../modules/.DS_Store
../templates/js_weblogic_green/.DS_Store
.htaccess

So does it still look like a permissions problem?

Thanks.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:52 am

Yes, it certainly does look like you have ownership/permissions issues. You'll have to consider the various users and ownership and permissions involved in your setup to unravel that. Take your time and read through the material Russ provided.

boky
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by boky » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:56 am

Greetings from Croatia!

As you see, English is not my natural language, so sorry for any grammatical errors. Furthermore, please for understanding, that do not succeed read all the posts, besides those first, on which me this morning bring the search for getting rid of the problem of installation of the extension's, so that I don't know do you succeed solve a problem.

Anyway, last night am along the first time, on my first web domain, when becomes active, upload Cro.Joomla! 1.5. Installation has passed neatly, but when have tried to install the first extension, appear the same problem as well as by you.

This morning when I wake up, and after the all forum and posts, which has read, have come to the conclusion that getting rid of this problem must be somewhere initially sent and that is simply, no matter how that is frustrating. Exactly and be. Have given back on the start. Erases all from root folders and wipe database tables and start again.

In short. Getting rid of the problem really lies in the FTP, CHMOD and file ownership settings.

After the upload procedure, has done this:

1. CHMOD /temp and /installation folder, as well all files in root to 777 (r-w-e to all).

2. If you have options in yours cPanel to set or Fix File Ownership, do it before installation procedure, because Joomla scripts (application) can not determine owner (there´s no admin jet).

3. Start installation, and in FTP section settings, plug in FTP mod, write FTP username and FTP password, given by your web hostler, and press left button "Auto Search FTP Path". FTP path is just a name of your web root folder whit / (slash infront name of folder :: egzample: /www).

Thats all. You don´t need to change any .php or .js, also .htaccess nativ scripts, and there´s no need for any extra apps for checking system. Just precisely follow installation manual procedure given by Joomla! Team on their site.

I hope that have been helpful, and if are this already before get rid of, consider this my post contribution and taking out of my own Joomla! experience.

Now, I´m going to work on my site : http://www.abc-mediteran.com

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:20 pm

Ian -

Not to be pushy, but I think it's been three times now that Elin has asked that you try this approach on your platform. Have you had time to check it out?
mcsmom wrote:Ian, please try this.

In a new folder, upload the zipped install file.
Unzip on your host (you can usually do this with cpanel).
Then run your install without the blank file and report back what happens.

Thanks
We believe the FTP user you have been using to FTP up your files is the owner of your installation - but the user that runs Joomla! does not have sufficient permissions.

PLEASE - pretty pretty pretty PLEASE - do this testing she has called for! OK?

Also, please use RussW's utility from my previous post to review permissions. It's a great tool to make these things visible.

If we do not authorize Joomla! to use it's files, then Joomla! can't run properly. Joomla! cannot have more authority then we give it. How you do that on your host will vary.

Thanks,
Amy

Boky - From all of us to you, thanks for that post. You can't imagine how encouraging it was to hear a community member talk about the necessity of doing the web master steps properly - and that it is possible. Enjoy Joomla! and we hope to hear from you, again!

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:43 pm

Sorry, have been hammering at a new site and it has been taking a lot of work, building it and also collaborating with the webmaster who will be taking it on once built. We lost several weeks of work when we could not install anything so now that we have it back on track it is taking up most of our waking time to finish off.
I just have not had a free moment to get around to trying that step out. It is on the list, just that I want to lock this site down ready for him to burn to a CD and demo it ready for approval next week. Site is looking very good, the Redovo themes are just working so well with my ideas, it is a real pleasure to work with good tools like 1.5 and Redovo and I know that his committee are going to be rocked back on their heels once they see how good this looks.
But the request hasn't been forgotten nor being ignored, not at all.
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:47 pm

Ian -

Elin has been asking for that for several days. As you articulated in so many posts in so many threads, this is important and it's wasting people's time not having it fixed. We need evidence of a problem before we can fix it!

Finally, a couple of days ago, after much urging, Ian, you showed us evidence of your problem and it is permissions issues. If you follow Elin's process that she has shared for several days, you might find Joomla! works. If you follow Elin's process, and Joomla! doesn't work, wow! That's cool, too, because we might finally be zoning in on a problem.

Please - Ian - PLEASE take that little bit of time to do that. Installations are not that involved or time consuing. Heck, just take a quick break from posting about the severity and urgency of this problem and you'll have Elin's test done in no time. ;-)

If there is a problem with Joomla!, then, dang-it, let's find it and fix it! Why should others waste their time, too?

Please help,
Amy

GreggInSanDiego
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by GreggInSanDiego » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:40 pm

Amy,

After following your advice and reading the info on permissions I checked things again. According to JTS the ftp and web server owner are the same. I've tried installing with permissions set at 777 and it still did not work. It is uploading, I find the files in the tmp folder, but it is still giving the "Could not find a Joomla! XMP setup file" error. I also get this error if I manually upload.

Sometimes it does seem to work, but then the module is not functional. For example I tried uploading the mod_missingmeta.zip. It uploads, and sometimes it says it is installed correctly, but then when I go to the module the parameters are missing and the module does not work. If I try a different module like com_jce_150_rc4.zip it goes back to giving the error message ... even with the same permissions settings.

Suggestions?

Problem Description:
Extension Manager is uploading but then gives error. Found files uploaded to tmp directory.

Log/Error Message:
[quote]Error! Could not find a Joomla! XML setup file in the package.[/quote]
Actions Taken To Resolve:
Checked file permissions using JTS and changed them to correct format and then tried various access levels to see if I could get it to work. Even with 777 access it still gave same error. You say it is a permissions problem, if full access is granted and I get still get the error who can that be the problem?

All the files, directories and the web server are the same owner. Modules that were to be uploaded had xml files (JCE,ACR, etc) Reset permissions back down to 775 (directories) and 774 (files).

HELP!

Diagnostic Information
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 774 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Darwin 9.3.0 ( i386) | Web Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.7l DAV/2 PHP/5.2.5 mod_fastcgi/2.4.2 ( pqgear.com ) | PHP Version: 5.2.5
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Disabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Not Writable[color] | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.51b-log ( Localhost via UNIX socket )
Last edited by GreggInSanDiego on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirk80
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dirk80 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:42 pm

Hi
Ok. I will try to find the solution in this thread now.

My host installed vhcs2 for me so can handle my different domains.

... (deleted - solved)

If you have an idea of what I or my host has to change please let me know.

Thx.
Dirk
Last edited by dirk80 on Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”