my 1.5.3 sites refuse to install any extensions

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: my 1.5.3 sites refuse to install any extensions

Post by ilox » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:01 am

AmyStephen wrote:Heck, just take a quick break from posting about the severity and urgency of this problem and you'll have Elin's test done in no time. ;-)
So, sitting at the computer eating breakfast so I could get this done.
1. Using CPanel file manager I created "test" folder, uploaded my zip of 1.5.3, unzipped it, went to install it.
2. Page 2 gives me the go/No go values including this message:
configuration.php Writable No You can still continue the installation as the configuration settings will be displayed at the end. You will just have an extra step to perform to upload the code by hand. Click in the text area to highlight all of the displayed code and then Copy and Paste into a new file name it as configuration.php and upload this to your site root folder.
I have not done a thing regarding permissions etc, this is a completely virgin folder.
3. Still working from CPanel I created a blank configuration.php and gave it 777 permissions. I also gave /tmp permissions of 777.
4. Restarted the Installation. This time I got Yes to every question.
5. Setup the database and all OK.
6. Setup the FTP Layer with a freshly created user. The button for Verify came back saying the settings were valid.
7. All verified and Installation folder deleted.
8. JTS ran giving the following result.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem Description:
evaluation prior to testing for ability to Install
Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.3 Production/Stable [ Vahi ] 22-April-2008 22:00 GMT
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 777 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.18-53.1.6.el5xen ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.5 ( loxtons.ismyfamily.org ) | PHP Version: 5.2.5
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Enabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 4.1.22-standard ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

Extended Information:
SEF: Disabled (without ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Enabled | htaccess: Not Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)
PHP Environment: API: apache2handler | MySQLi: No | Max. Memory: 32M | Max. Upload Size: 2M | Max. Post Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 2.2.0
Disabled Functions:
MySQL Client: 4.1.22 ( latin1 )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9. Ok, moment of Truth, Installing com_ninjaExplorer. I can see it in the /tmp folder, it seems to be loading, but taking a very long time about it. YES! Success!
10. changed permissions: /tmp to 755, configuration.php to 544
11. Uploading JCE Editor, I can see it in the /tmp folder, taking a long time, a very long time. Will get back to this when it is finished.
-------------------- Update: --------------------
After several minutes it finally failed to load with this error:
* JFTP::store: Bad response
* JInstaller::install: Failed to copy file: /home/ilox/public_html/test/tmp/install_485b1fbf76f1a/admin/installer/views/default/tmpl/default_message.php to /home/ilox/public_html/test/administrator/components/com_jce/installer/views/default/tmpl/default_message.php
* JFTP::delete: Bad response
* JFTP::delete: Bad response

-------------------- Update: --------------------
Now what?
Cheers, Ian
"Always remember. Love is the purest feeling, the wisest thought and the strongest reason. Always!"
by Sea-Life

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:06 pm

I have no Internet access from home due to a storm blowing out my Linksys router. So, this will be brief as I am at my neighbor's home.

Ian - are you saying that you were able to install one extension (com_ninjaExplorer) with 777 on the tmp folder but then changed the permissions to 755 for tmp (and configuration to 544) and were unable to install the second? (JCE?)

If so, did you try to install JCE using the same permissions on the tmp (to see if the 777 was required?)

Remember - if you have different users involved due to your web host situation - which is what the diagnostic reports suggest - which is what the installation process with 777 is suggesting -- you have to give the user running Joomla! permission - no way around it, Ian - you have to give it permission if it doesn't own the files. The first 7 is for the owner. Is it the owner running Joomla!?

Also, try without FTP and see if your issue goes away. Maybe your FTP user is different. If it's not the owner, you have to give it authority.

It does sound like Elin's approach did resolve your permission issues in that you were able to install one component with the 777 permissions. Your web hosting environment is where these users are coming from. Not Joomla!. So, if the user running Joomla! is not the owner - or the FTP user is not the owner - you have to give it authority.

If I were you, I'd work with my web host to ensure the user running Joomla! was the owner. But, if your web host environment is unable to make that configuration for you, you'll have to give permissions.

Please continue methodically working with this. Talk to your web host about this. I'm guessing they understand the situation. It sounds like you have an environment there that might work.

Until I have my Internet back working, it's going to be tough for me to respond.
Amy

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:39 pm

First I want to point out this excellent resource

http://docs.joomla.org/Security_and_Per ... ns_work.3F

Obviously changing the file permissions caused JCE not to install.

Now let's see you went from 777 to 755 for /tmp and from 777 to 544 for configuration.php.
AND we know PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same

SO, using 755 since you are not the owner is not going to let you write. Again, you need to ask your host to chown so that the 7 in the first position lets you write. You may need to try 775 or you could just experiment and get it to work or like I said get your host to fix it. Worst case, when installing extensions you could change it to 777 and then change it right back.

The configuration file has nothing to do with installing extensions so that's not relevant to the problem but in general configuration like all of your files should be 644 at least. We're having a little debate in the bug squad about what the best practice is when the host is set up the way yours is, but it's not relevant for this issue. So make it 644 for now and then when you want to change global configuration change it to 777 then change back.

Since the exact settings will depend on your host and you aren't willing to ask them to change ownership you will need to play around.

Also, can you tell us what the permissions are on your components, modules and plugins folders?

Also for anyone else, if things are working right, you should never have to make a blank configuration file when installing. If that happens that is a sign that you will have problems later.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

Toli
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Toli » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:47 pm

Problem Description:
Can not install extensions. JCE, Docmon.

Actions Taken To Resolve:
tried permissions, tried to manually upload the files. Been reading a bit on this thread

Most of it is a bit over my head, if anyone can suggest a list of things for me to start checking from the information here I will start from there and work my way through them. Thanks

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.0 Production/Stable [ Khepri ] 21-January-2008 23:55 GMT
configuration.php: Not Writable (Mode: 444 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.24.2-opteron-modules-peon-1.1.4-grsec ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/2.0.61 (Unix) PHP/4.4.7 mod_ssl/2.0.61 OpenSSL/0.9.7e mod_fastcgi/2.4.2 DAV/2 SVN/1.4.2 ( http://www.nepean4wd.org ) | PHP Version: 4.4.8
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Enabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): No | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.45-log ( mysql.nepean4wd.org.au via TCP/IP )

Extended Information:
SEF: Disabled (without ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Disabled | htaccess: Not Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are the same. (PHP/suExec probably installed)
PHP Environment: API: cgi | MySQLi: No | Max. Memory: 90M | Max. Upload Size: 7M | Max. Post Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: -1 | Zend Version: 1.3.0
Disabled Functions:
MySQL Client: 5.0.16 ( latin1 )

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:57 pm

as some of you know Ian and I share webspace in the simple terms.
i tried on one of the accounts on the space to create a new 1.53 installation with FTP layer and tried to install something, it failed.
I spotted what i had been doing different - in previous installations that worked on that space, i had left the ftp layer details blnk and when i needed it, entered the cpanel account user name as password, effectively giving joomla the root permissions for that session.
it worked..

The info has been sent to Ian, as Amy said, the joomla ftp layer does not have suitable permissions to install anything IF you create a seperate joomla user.
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:10 pm

Just confirming the way that I have set up these test sites. The username and password are the same for the database, the CPanel, the Admin of the site and the nominated FTP User. This makes sure that control for these functions is in the hands of the right user. It also has been done for convenience so I only have to track down the one set of data per site.
Next step will be to trial more uploads as per Amy's request.

Please note the steps I used in my previous report. I did quite a bit of work beforehand to make sure that access and permissions was set properly. Normally you and I probably would not go to those extremes but I knew we had a dodgy environment that had already failed once so I went the extra steps to ease the way. It paid off this time.

This exercise also showed that the old practise of the Installer routine showing if critical folders were Writable or not was sensible and probably needs to be put back into the core again. If we had those warnings coming up probably most of the complaints might have been avoided, or at least minimised to complaints where permissions on the /tmp folder were not problematical.

I had nothing to do with why they were taken out, I hope my voice can be added to a request that they be put back. They were a good way to remind users about settings that were not optimal before the process was begun.
Cheers, Ian
"Always remember. Love is the purest feeling, the wisest thought and the strongest reason. Always!"
by Sea-Life

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:17 pm

Hey Ian! (nice name, btw!)

Just to try and explain a concept quickly... at the heart of the issue is file ownership. There are generally two main server users that end up owning your files - the FTP user, and the Apache/PHP user. Obviously, when you upload files using FTP, the FTP user ends up owning them. Therefore, if you give a file 755 permissions, then ONLY the FTP user can write to that file.

If you install Joomla! without the FTP layer, then the files it creates are owned by the Apache/PHP user. If you give the file 755 permissions, then ONLY the Apache/PHP user can write to that file.

So there are generally two approaches to take:
1. upload all the files via cpanel. This will generally result in all of the files being owned by the Apache/PHP user. Ensure that the root directory that all of your Joomla! files are installed in is writable, so that the installer can create the configuration.php file. Then, install Joomla! WITHOUT the FTP layer.

2. upload all the files using FTP. This will generally result in all of the files being owned by the FTP user. Make sure that your Joomla! root directory is writable, again, so that the installer can create the configuration.php file. Then install Joomla! WITH the FTP layer.

Ensure that your tmp and cache folders are owned by the Apache/PHP user, because these files are written by PHP. (tmp because of the nature of how it works, and cache because writing using the PHP user is much faster than via FTP.

If you apply these principles - and choose either the first or the second approach, you should get better results and extension installation should work properly via the admin interface. Mixing the two approaches will cause you no end of grief.

Good luck!
Ian

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:23 pm

ilox wrote:Just confirming the way that I have set up these test sites. The username and password are the same for the database, the CPanel, the Admin of the site and the nominated FTP User. This makes sure that control for these functions is in the hands of the right user. It also has been done for convenience so I only have to track down the one set of data per site.
Just to emphasize, the fact that these username and passwords happen to be the same has no effect whatsoever on anything. They are different subsystems and are unrelated. It may be convenient, but will not solve your permission issues.

Ian

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:38 pm

Toli - are there specific errors that you are getting? Is it only with JCE and with Docman or is it with all extensions, and have you made sure to be using the correct versions of extension for J!1.5?

1.5.0 is quite an early release, and there have been security fixes. I would suggest you upgrade to the newest version 1.5.3. Remember to back up your entire site including database before you attempt any upgrade. Or even better - practice the upgrade on a copy of your site in a local testing environment, or in a subdirectory before applying it to the live site.
Co-author of the Official Joomla! Book http://officialjoomlabook.com
Marpo Multimedia http://marpomultimedia.com

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:37 pm

ianmac wrote: Just to emphasize, the fact that these username and passwords happen to be the same has no effect whatsoever on anything. They are different subsystems and are unrelated. It may be convenient, but will not solve your permission issues.
Ian
I think that what Ilox means is that he has set the Joomla FTP user as the root account holder, therefore when apache checks the user rights it gets the message back that the user trying to alter the files is root, therefore always has the correct permissions irrespective of how the root attempts to access/write the files. there fore i understand that apache just rolls over and shows its belly when a user with root credentials presents itself. as in reference to my post regarding entering Root details for that session in the FTP layer boxes
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:53 pm

I stand by my earlier statement.

Apache isn't aware of details such as FTP account privileges.

Ian

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:06 pm

Elin started a wiki resource entitled Why can't I install any extensions earlier this week to start pulling together information for those with problems installing Joomla! extensions. We have added excellent resources to this FAQ that will help you learn about file ownership and permissions.
  • We included Ian's post which is a great primer on this topic.
    We have included HarryB's advice on how to find a Web host that has a setup that will make this area easier for you. (It is important to understand that there are Web hosted environments that are easier for novices where you will not face some of these ownership/permission challenges.)
    We included links to RussW's tools and FAQ entries.
Combined, that should give those of you who are experiencing problems a great start towards figuring out how to work with your Web environment to set it up in a way that Joomla! will work.

The Bug Squad has invested considerable time this week helping to manage this thread and several other threads that were bumped by people who were frustrated and trying to alert others that we could fix all of their problems.

There is no bug in Joomla! v 1.5 that is preventing any of you from installing extensions.

We cannot be expected to review each and every person's Web environment and teach people individually how to properly install and run Joomla! in that setting. Work with your Web hosts; that *is* why you are paying them. If they won't help you, then give that some thought. You are paying them - they should help you!

The Bug Squad is done with this thread and will now return to working on bugs. That's where you want us working, folks. Right now, there are nearly 200 bugs in the Tracker. We need to focus on trying to understand the issue. See if we can reproduce the problem. Create patches. Test patches. Commit it to the core. And move on the next bug.

We also have an event coming up this and next weekend that we have to prepare for. We invite you to join us in the Pizza, Bugs and Fun event and contribute to making Joomla! better, yourself. You don't have to be a developer to help improve Joomla!.

Please, use the Why can't I install any extensions FAQ and take time to learn about these issues. Work with your Web host to give Joomla! the permissions it needs to operate. The Joomla! forum volunteers cannot be expected to do this for you, but your Web host is. Use those resources you have paid for.

There are a couple of you who I hope are much more calm next time you have a problem. When you use free (as in liberty) software, you get a great deal of empowerment. So, be empowered. This is not a company that owes you results. We are a community of volunteers working together to improve the software we each use. Take responsibility for your own sites. Learn. When you ask for help, know you are asking for people to voluntarily help you. You are not entitled to the help of volunteers and you have no one to complain to about your wasted time. Do not threaten to use other software because you are frustrated. Know you are free to use whatever software works for you and treat this community with respect. Those of us volunteering are not your slaves - we volunteer to improve Joomla! because that makes Joomla! better for us.

Think on what I said. Don't be defensive about it. If you can really hear that message, you will understand why it's important to contributein a free software community. Get involved and you will be much more happy with the results you get.

With respect,
Amy :)

Sky Customer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sky Customer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:11 pm

AmyStephen wrote:
Please, use the Why can't I install any extensions FAQ and take time to learn about these issues. Work with your Web host to give Joomla! the permissions it needs to operate. The Joomla! forum volunteers cannot be expected to do this for you, but your Web host is. Use those resources you have paid for.
Well, I certainly understand you all need to return to dealing with all those bugs. For the record, my post yesterday might seem to indicate that the issue of not being able to install extensions using 1.5.3 is not restricted to Joomla sites on web servers as I reported the same problem on a localhost. My work has never been near a web server, yet. Yet, you all are now leaving this issue as if the only problems of not installing extensions are related to Joomla sites on web servers.

???

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:00 pm

Sky Customer wrote:
AmyStephen wrote:
Well, I certainly understand you all need to return to dealing with all those bugs. For the record, my post yesterday might seem to indicate that the issue of not being able to install extensions using 1.5.3 is not restricted to Joomla sites on web servers as I reported the same problem on a localhost. My work has never been near a web server, yet. Yet, you all are now leaving this issue as if the only problems of not installing extensions are related to Joomla sites on web servers.

???
I didn't mean to imply that at all - Mac computers will have the same issues that a web server will have. Look at the principles I outlined above and follow them, and things should work.

The key is ownership. Maybe Macs will allow you to view and change ownership easily. Don't know, I don't have one. The principles are the same.

Ian

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by willebil » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:33 pm

@Sky

as Amy mentioned we have spend numerous hours past week (> 100 together) to validate every report on this particular issue. Every time we have seen the problem is explainable after we checked the setup of the installation...file/directory permissions, versions of php, specific setting, browser password cache etc.

As said, every time we have not been able to confirm any problem. We spend really a lot of time confirming any specific problem, and documented as much information we could extract on our search and help, check the post of Amy for specific URL's.

It is not the fact that we are not willing to help, I think the bug squad has shown that they are incredible dedicated and take reports very seriously. In this case we ask you to put in some additional effort to track down what your problem is, based upon the information that has been written down in the wiki. We need to move on and work towards 1.5.4, hope you understand this. If you have worked along the information we shared, and still have any problems regarding this topic, please contact me directly and I will take a look so the bug squad can move on.

Thanks for your patience.

Wilco

Sky Customer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sky Customer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:05 pm

ianmac wrote:Hey Ian! (nice name, btw!)

Just to try and explain a concept quickly... at the heart of the issue is file ownership. There are generally two main server users that end up owning your files - the FTP user, and the Apache/PHP user. Obviously, when you upload files using FTP, the FTP user ends up owning them. Therefore, if you give a file 755 permissions, then ONLY the FTP user can write to that file.

If you install Joomla! without the FTP layer, then the files it creates are owned by the Apache/PHP user. If you give the file 755 permissions, then ONLY the Apache/PHP user can write to that file.

So there are generally two approaches to take:
1. upload all the files via cpanel. This will generally result in all of the files being owned by the Apache/PHP user. Ensure that the root directory that all of your Joomla! files are installed in is writable, so that the installer can create the configuration.php file. Then, install Joomla! WITHOUT the FTP layer.

2. upload all the files using FTP. This will generally result in all of the files being owned by the FTP user. Make sure that your Joomla! root directory is writable, again, so that the installer can create the configuration.php file. Then install Joomla! WITH the FTP layer.

Ensure that your tmp and cache folders are owned by the Apache/PHP user, because these files are written by PHP. (tmp because of the nature of how it works, and cache because writing using the PHP user is much faster than via FTP.

If you apply these principles - and choose either the first or the second approach, you should get better results and extension installation should work properly via the admin interface. Mixing the two approaches will cause you no end of grief.

Good luck!
Ian
Well, thanks for your comments.

You may know more about this than I do, but does the type of computer used affect the problem? Isn't the key here localhost? Installing Joomla on a localhost and not enabling the FTP layer (I did not enable the FTP layer) rules out any issues of an FTP user owning the files. It rules out any mixing up of FTP ownership and Apache/PHP user ownership......or not?

Thus, I believe that if Joomla was installed on localhost without the FTP layer, the localhost does not have issues of mixed ownership, and if I understand, the files on my localhost are owned by the Apache/PHP user.......or not?

That would leave me with determining that the tmp and cache folders are owned by the Apache/PHP user. I have to admit, I tried to find the permissions for these folders and could not find anything that clearly shows permissions, like the 755 or 444 permissions. One may find the sharing and permissions for the tmp and cache folders and it shows that the only user on the computer (me) has read/write privileges for both folders.

However, wouldn't it be fair to assume that if the use of FTP is not involved then the owner must be the Apache/PHP user (me) since I am the only user on the localhost.......or not?

So, do I have permissions problems causing me to have the failure to upload extensions, or not?

If I don't have permissions issues are there still user issues for why I can not upload extensions? Or is there some other reason, not user related, that is the cause of not being able to upload extensions? Have I missed some other file ownership issue or have I not interpreted your guidance correctly?

Thanks for your help.

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:45 pm

Depending on what your operating system is and what local server environment you have installed, you may very well NOT be the apache/php user, meaning your computer admin or user account. On my MacBook with xampp installed I regulaly have to go into the permissions and give everyone read write privileges. I select the htdocs folder and give permissions all at once to all files and folders inside of it.

Sky Customer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sky Customer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:53 pm

MMMedia wrote:Depending on what your operating system is and what local server environment you have installed, you may very well NOT be the apache/php user, meaning your computer admin or user account. On my MacBook with xampp installed I regulaly have to go into the permissions and give everyone read write privileges. I select the htdocs folder and give permissions all at once to all files and folders inside of it.
OK, thanks. There are only 3 users of my computer, myself, admin and everyone. The sharing and permissions for myself and admin for htdocs is read/write and for everyone is read only.

Do you suggest that I have to give the user "everyone" read/write permission in htdocs to solve this problem?

I forgot to mention in my previous message that I did not have problems uploading extensions, at least in the case of templates, at version 1.5.2. It was not until 1.5.3 that I could no longer upload extensions. Should one assume that the upgrade to 1.5.3 changed the permissions? I certainly did not knowingly change any permissions, it is not something I do and I had to search to find out how to do it on this mac. My experience previously was with windows and linux but not with purposefully changing permissions.

The only reason I continue to flog this horse is that I am not sure that permissions or their misconfiguration is the cause of my not being able to upload extensions. Heaven knows it may be something I did or didn't do, but I don't know what that is. I don't want the volunteer corps to spend any time fixing my problem or reviewing my setup, I am only looking for tips or pointers to where I will find the solution to this problem. I'll do the work but I don't have the knowledge or experience with Joomla, Apache, PHP or MySQL to find the problem myself, which is why one hopes experts could point the way.

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:21 am

I can only tell you about my experience. I did not have to, and do not have to do this using Tiger and MAMP ( still have not upgraded my iMac). I do not have to change permissions using xp and xampp. I do have to give permissions to my user the admin and everyone using Leopard ( upgrade from Tiger ) and using the beta of xampp for OS X.

This tells me it is environment and NOT Joomla!

I don't know what else to tell you. I am getting the impression that no matter what anyone says you will insist the problem is something other than you environment. I don't think there is anything more that can be done to assist your situation.

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by willebil » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:59 am

willebil wrote:@Sky

as Amy mentioned we have spend numerous hours past week (> 100 together) to validate every report on this particular issue. Every time we have seen the problem is explainable after we checked the setup of the installation...file/directory permissions, versions of php, specific setting, browser password cache etc.

As said, every time we have not been able to confirm any problem. We spend really a lot of time confirming any specific problem, and documented as much information we could extract on our search and help, check the post of Amy for specific URL's.

It is not the fact that we are not willing to help, I think the bug squad has shown that they are incredible dedicated and take reports very seriously. In this case we ask you to put in some additional effort to track down what your problem is, based upon the information that has been written down in the wiki. We need to move on and work towards 1.5.4, hope you understand this. If you have worked along the information we shared, and still have any problems regarding this topic, please contact me directly and I will take a look so the bug squad can move on.

Thanks for your patience.

Wilco
Just reposting what I earlier stated...suggest you make use of my offer ;)

AbuYaser
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AbuYaser » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:14 am

Problem Description:
I cant install any extensions!

Log/Error Message:
[quote]JFTP::mkdir: Bad response [/quote]
[quote]JFTP::mkdir: Bad response [/quote]
[quote]Unable to create destination \"&\" Unable to find install package[/quote]

Actions Taken To Resolve:
chmod all folders to 777

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.3 Production/Stable [ Vahi ] 22-April-2008 22:00 GMT
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 777 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.17-1.2142_FC4smp ( i686) | Web Server: Apache ( **** ) | PHP Version: 5.2.3
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Enabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Enabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Not Writable | Max.Execution Time: 40 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: ( )

Ques:
is the problem caused by:
safe_mode: Enabled
(OR)
save.session_path: Not Writable
Can I install Extensions (com & mod)s manually?

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:29 pm

ianmac wrote:I stand by my earlier statement.

Apache isn't aware of details such as FTP account privileges.

Ian
Agreed - i was just confirming or trying to confirm what method Ilox had used. apache will check the credentials of the user making the alteration, not how it tries to do it (as in the cause of so much hacking/defacing).

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 pm

AmyStephen wrote:Elin started a wiki resource entitled Why can't I install any extensions earlier this week to start pulling together information for those with problems installing Joomla! extensions. We have added excellent resources to this FAQ that will help you learn about file ownership and permissions.
Thanks for that i am sure we will read and many respond with any questions.

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:52 pm

I was posting from my phone for my last message so couldn't make it as detailed as I wanted to.

Also note that every time I upgrade a local site or overwrite files from say a folder outside of my htdocs to my htdocs folder... (I regularly do this in my testing environment because I break things intentionally, then go back and overwrite all of my Joomla! files with the originals from the SVN to get back to square one to test things) I have to redo the permissions to the admin, my user and everyone on those files. So yes it is an issue with upgrading a local installation in my case, because I have to redo the permissions on files that are brought into my htdocs from outside of it when I am using Leopard and the beta xampp. I do not have to do that in Tiger using MAMP or in XP using XAMPP.

I hope this information helps you.

dirk80
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dirk80 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:03 am

I asked my host to install php as cgi and now erverything works.

Dirk

Toli
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Toli » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:49 pm

dirk80 wrote:I asked my host to install php as cgi and now erverything works.

Dirk
What is CGI and how does it relate to this issue?

Who is your host with if you do not mind me asking?

I have spent much of today, backing up the site, upgradede to V1.5.3, making changes to permissions. Still no luck.

My site is hosted by Dreamhosts, if anyone has any suggestions that might be related to that.

Toli
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Toli » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 pm

MMMedia wrote:Toli - are there specific errors that you are getting? Is it only with JCE and with Docman or is it with all extensions, and have you made sure to be using the correct versions of extension for J!1.5?

1.5.0 is quite an early release, and there have been security fixes. I would suggest you upgrade to the newest version 1.5.3. Remember to back up your entire site including database before you attempt any upgrade. Or even better - practice the upgrade on a copy of your site in a local testing environment, or in a subdirectory before applying it to the live site.

I have upgraded today to version 1.5.3. Still can not load extensions. Still playing around with different settings. Will have another go at it tomorrow.

The error I am getting is

JFolder::create: Could not create directory
Warning! - Failed to move file

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:35 pm

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:53 pm

Toli wrote:I have upgraded today to version 1.5.3. Still can not load extensions. Still playing around with different settings. Will have another go at it tomorrow.
When you say you have changed permissions, have you been doing this through FTP or through your CPanel? And have you been changing /tmp to 777 while you attempt the install and then back to 755 once you have either succeeded in the install or given up on it?
Changing my PHP to include the SupHp module fixed one of my servers. One the other hosted server I worked from CPanel, changed permissions to 777, then tried the install. It worked so I set it back to 755 for security.
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:55 pm

dirk80 wrote:I asked my host to install php as cgi and now everything works. Dirk
That's great news Dirk, glad you have jumped that hurdle, enjoy your new Joomla, it's a great CMS!
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”