PHP4 to PHP5

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
markwith
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

PHP4 to PHP5

Post by markwith » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:19 pm

I looked at the previous post on this subject and it was not what I am experiencing.

I am running 1.0.15 as my main site and have a directory which holds my test 1.5.3 site. When I change my php from v4 to v5 the 1.0.15 frontend works fine, as does the 1.5.3 front and back ends. However, I get a memory allocation error after I enter my login informtaion on the administrator side of the 1.0 site. I am not a php person and the error points to database.php line 502.

Any ideas? If you need to see the problem, I can arrange to work with you on the live site. Curently I have changed the setting back to php4.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bob
Bob Markwith
MTC Engineering, Cocoa, FL USA

alfabravoteam
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: PHP4 to PHP5

Post by alfabravoteam » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:22 pm

Configuring the php.ini settings about memory_size and post_size should help. Maybe in the fresh php5 these are too small (usually 2MB default).
"Verba volant, scripta manent"

markwith
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markwith » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Bob Markwith

markwith
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markwith » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:12 pm

Thanks again for your information.

With that a several google searches and phone call to godaddy.com, I solved the problem. I did put the memory_size parameter in the php.ini file, but it didn't do anything. So, after talking with godaddy, they told me I needed a php5.ini file. When I put that line in there and played with the memory size, I was successful.

This only seems to be an issue in J 1.0 Administrator. No problems at all with J1.5 or the front-end of J 1.0.
Bob Markwith

jagdish
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jagdish » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:44 pm

I'm considering switching from PHP 4.4.4 to PHP5 but not sure about following. If you can share any experiences / insight it would help.

* Current site is running Joomla 1.5 and PHP 4.4 and MySQL 4.0

I can switch to PHP5 by enabling it from Control panel provided by my host.

My question is what could break? And if it breaks too many extensions can I switch back to PHP4.4 and restore normal site?

Or is it better to test existing installation using another test domain?

Thanks,
Jagdish

Return to “Upgrading - 1.0.x”