404 - Component not found

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
abhinay_desai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by abhinay_desai » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:50 pm

Dear All,

I successfully upgraded my website from 1.5RC3 to 1.5 Stable, tested everything. It seemed to me that the upgrade was without a glitch however whenever i click on any of the articles i get the following error.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.

Please try one of the following pages:

* Home Page

If difficulties persist, please contact the System Administrator of this site.

Component not found

I checked in the back end and all the articles are there...what is the reason for this error. Please help me rectify it.

Regards,
Abhinay
http://www.trendzmatter.com

pigualada
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: 404 - Component not found

Post by pigualada » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:39 pm

I had the same problem, and found that it was that my Main Menu was External Link, and no component loading inside. It's an static page.
The solution is to assign a different content target on main menu.

Try to enable SQL Trace and watch for something like this:
SELECT m.*, c.`option` AS component
  FROM jos_menu AS m
  LEFT JOIN jos_components AS c
  ON m.componentid = c.id
  WHERE m.published = 1
  ORDER BY m.sublevel, m.parent, m.ordering

And have a look to "component" column (the last one), and check that none of them is "NULL", and so, this error appears.

maybe it's a 1.5.0 stable release "bug"?

abhinay_desai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by abhinay_desai » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:06 am

Hi pigualada,

I am not very well versed with databases, can you please tell me how can i do SQL tracing in joomla?

Thank you for all your help.

Regards,
Abhinay

abhinay_desai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by abhinay_desai » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:48 am

Dear All,

Just wanted to check if the below mentioned options might help me get the website to work again,

1. What if i replaced the current component folder with the one that i backed up before upgrading? Will it solve the problem?

2. Else if there has been a problem in uploading the the 1.5 Stable release, what if i re upload the components folder in 1.5Stable?

Please help!

Regards,
Abhinay

pigualada
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pigualada » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:50 am

You can enable traces in Global Configuration -> System -> Debug Settings -> Debug System = yes

Then, you can temporaly avoid your error by commenting a line in "/index.php"

// $mainframe->dispatch($option);  <-- in my case, this is the line that caused the error.

Tell my if this helps you

reedcat1965
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by reedcat1965 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:26 am

I has same problem.
In my case helps next solution: In Global Configuration the value "Use Apache mod_rewrite" was set to True, and, surely, htaccess.txt was renamed onto .htaccess  (surely, when you are sure that server runs under Apache :))

abhinay_desai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by abhinay_desai » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:04 pm

Hi pigualada and reedcat1965,

Thank you for all your help, i am now able to open the articles in my website without any errors.

I am such a n00b i completely forgot to rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess and change the Use Apache mod_rewrite in global configuration to "Yes"

Thank you both of you for helping me solve this problem.

For anyone else who is facing this problem, please follow these steps:

1. After uploading joomla 1.5 stable rename the htaccess.txt file in your root folder to .htaccess
2. Go to your backend-->Global configuration-->Use Apache mod_rewrite(Right Hand Top Corner) and enable it.

Hope this helps you too as it has helped me and dont forget to thank pigualada and reedcat1965!

Regards,
Abhinay
http://www.trendzmatter.com&nbsp;  

robida
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by robida » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:32 pm

I have created a new Joomla site and have been adding content and testing it for about 2 weeks.  I updated the site today and added a Poll.  I accessed the site a number of times today with no problems.  I finally logged off and sent a note to other users to test for the first time.  Everyone now gets a 404 - Component not found screen with the following information:

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
a mistyped address
you have no access to this page
The requested resource was not found.
An error has occurred while processing your request.
Please try one of the following pages:

Home Page

I'm still able to get to the admin page, but not my home page.  My issue is similar to other's mentioned here, but I can't even get to the home page to access an article.

Here is the stack trace:

Call stack
# Function Location
1 JSite->dispatch() /home/marshwoo/public_html/joomla/index.php:68
2 JComponentHelper->renderComponent() /home/marshwoo/public_html/joomla/includes/application.php:124
3 JError->raiseError() /home/marshwoo/public_html/joomla/libraries/joomla/application/component/helper.php:96
4 JError->raise() /home/marshwoo/public_html/joomla/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:173
5 JException->__construct() /home/marshwoo/public_html/joomla/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:138

I'm not sure why it suddenly stopped working.  Any help would be appreciated.

robida
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by robida » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:08 pm

I was able to identify the row in the database that was causing the issue.  I'm not sure what this means yet, but the 'home' column was somehow set to '0'.

Before:
INSERT INTO `jos_menu` VALUES(1, 'mainmenu', 'Home', 'home', 'index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage', 'component', 1, 0, 20, 0, 1, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 0, 0, 0, 3, 'num_leading_articles=2\nnum_intro_articles=4\nnum_columns=2\nnum_links=4\norderby_pri=\norderby_sec=front\nshow_pagination=2\nshow_pagination_results=1\nshow_feed_link=1\nshow_noauth=0\nshow_title=1\nlink_titles=0\nshow_intro=1\nshow_section=0\nlink_section=0\nshow_category=0\nlink_category=0\nshow_author=1\nshow_create_date=1\nshow_modify_date=1\nshow_item_navigation=0\nshow_readmore=1\nshow_vote=0\nshow_icons=1\nshow_pdf_icon=1\nshow_print_icon=1\nshow_email_icon=1\nshow_hits=1\nfeed_summary=\npage_title=Marshwood Baseball Boosters\nshow_page_title=1\npageclass_sfx=\nmenu_image=-1\nsecure=0\n\n', 0, 0, 0);

After:
INSERT INTO `jos_menu` VALUES(1, 'mainmenu', 'Home', 'home', 'index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage', 'component', 1, 0, 20, 0, 1, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 0, 0, 0, 3, 'num_leading_articles=1\nnum_intro_articles=4\nnum_columns=2\nnum_links=4\norderby_pri=\norderby_sec=front\nshow_pagination=2\nshow_pagination_results=1\nshow_feed_link=1\nshow_noauth=0\nshow_title=1\nlink_titles=0\nshow_intro=1\nshow_section=0\nlink_section=0\nshow_category=0\nlink_category=0\nshow_author=1\nshow_create_date=1\nshow_modify_date=1\nshow_item_navigation=0\nshow_readmore=1\nshow_vote=0\nshow_icons=1\nshow_pdf_icon=1\nshow_print_icon=1\nshow_email_icon=1\nshow_hits=1\nfeed_summary=\npage_title=Marshwood Baseball Boosters\nshow_page_title=1\npageclass_sfx=\nmenu_image=-1\nsecure=0\n\n', 0, 0, 1);

TigerMoth67
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TigerMoth67 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:32 pm

i had the same problem with the Poll component but discovered that switching off Search Engine Friendly to "NO" under Global Configuration meant that it started working again. I guess it is not ideal for SEO but as a quick fix is useful.

crashtackle
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by crashtackle » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:31 pm

I had the same problem. I just deleted my old .htaccess file and renamed the htaccess.txt in my root to .htaccess

It's all good now SEF is on and MOD_rewrite is on.

justinpbray
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by justinpbray » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:35 pm

Is anyone else experiencing their Registration page has lost its format? i.e. the template has disappeared on this page?

givirus
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by givirus » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:28 am

Am using Joomla! 1.5 and had the same '404 - component not found' problem.

All this happened after changing the 'Seach Engine Friendly Urls' option in the Global Configuration panel,to yes.
I had to revert back to the 'No' and the problem was solved!!

CajuCLC
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CajuCLC » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:24 am

givirus wrote:Am using Joomla! 1.5 and had the same '404 - component not found' problem.

All this happened after changing the 'Seach Engine Friendly Urls' option in the Global Configuration panel,to yes.
I had to revert back to the 'No' and the problem was solved!!
Funny is, I just upgraded to 1.5.6 and was getting same problem and so I came here to check some solution and I saw your message.
So I did remember that I checked yes on this config. O.o
Just set to no and it works.
:D

Edit:
Joomfish wont work fine when change language.

It should be index.php?lang=en, but it shows index.php/en

karimlo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 404 - Component not found Articles gone after 1.5.6 upgrade

Post by karimlo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:34 pm

I upgraded manually my Joomla site from 1.5.6 and I have been experiencing many problems.

1 - Articles have disapeared. I only see the intros on the frontpage, but I don't find them neither after I click nor in the article manager,
2 - Many components are nor running right. Especially Seyret. I can see the thumnails but clips do not play
3 - Wraps do not work as if they don't like the template anymore.... the menu shows without css and it is a mess.

I am still going through the AFTERMATH... But I cannot go back to the old version of Joomla because my site was hacked. So, I am trapped...

Any help?

Lanre
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Lanre » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:18 pm

robida wrote:I was able to identify the row in the database that was causing the issue. I'm not sure what this means yet, but the 'home' column was somehow set to '0'.

Before:
INSERT INTO `jos_menu` VALUES(1, 'mainmenu', 'Home', 'home', 'index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage', 'component', 1, 0, 20, 0, 1, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 0, 0, 0, 3, 'num_leading_articles=2\nnum_intro_articles=4\nnum_columns=2\nnum_links=4\norderby_pri=\norderby_sec=front\nshow_pagination=2\nshow_pagination_results=1\nshow_feed_link=1\nshow_noauth=0\nshow_title=1\nlink_titles=0\nshow_intro=1\nshow_section=0\nlink_section=0\nshow_category=0\nlink_category=0\nshow_author=1\nshow_create_date=1\nshow_modify_date=1\nshow_item_navigation=0\nshow_readmore=1\nshow_vote=0\nshow_icons=1\nshow_pdf_icon=1\nshow_print_icon=1\nshow_email_icon=1\nshow_hits=1\nfeed_summary=\npage_title=Marshwood Baseball Boosters\nshow_page_title=1\npageclass_sfx=\nmenu_image=-1\nsecure=0\n\n', 0, 0, 0);

After:
INSERT INTO `jos_menu` VALUES(1, 'mainmenu', 'Home', 'home', 'index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage', 'component', 1, 0, 20, 0, 1, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 0, 0, 0, 3, 'num_leading_articles=1\nnum_intro_articles=4\nnum_columns=2\nnum_links=4\norderby_pri=\norderby_sec=front\nshow_pagination=2\nshow_pagination_results=1\nshow_feed_link=1\nshow_noauth=0\nshow_title=1\nlink_titles=0\nshow_intro=1\nshow_section=0\nlink_section=0\nshow_category=0\nlink_category=0\nshow_author=1\nshow_create_date=1\nshow_modify_date=1\nshow_item_navigation=0\nshow_readmore=1\nshow_vote=0\nshow_icons=1\nshow_pdf_icon=1\nshow_print_icon=1\nshow_email_icon=1\nshow_hits=1\nfeed_summary=\npage_title=Marshwood Baseball Boosters\nshow_page_title=1\npageclass_sfx=\nmenu_image=-1\nsecure=0\n\n', 0, 0, 1);
Thanks for this solution. I had the same problem and this is the only way I that resolved it :)
Website www.test.lasege.com
Black or white we are human http://www.lasege.com/

leolll
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by leolll » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:53 am

I also had the "404 - Component not found" error whenever I clicked on a menu option. Although there are multiple reasons one could get this error here was my fix:

Change the menu in some way (ie add a space to the menu name) and then save the change

This caused Joomla to rewrite the menu item in the database and fill in an empty column (params) with in the menu table

handsport
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by handsport » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:01 pm

Hello,

Thank you for all your help,

I'm only change the check box "Search Engine Friendly URLs " to NO and now , i am able to open the articles in my website without any errors.

Bye

KineticMind
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by KineticMind » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:35 am

Hello guys.

I've been experiencing this problem too, but the solution is so simple as I've found here..

http://kb.siteground.com/article/404__C ... la_15.html
The most common reason for getting a "404 - Component not found" error on your Joomla 1.5 front page is a missing default menu item.

To resolve the issue, make sure you set a default menu from your Joomla admin area > Menus. Choose a menu item and set it as default by clicking the Default button at the top right menu.
Hope this helps...

gocareer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by gocareer » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:10 pm

It looks like when SEO url is turning on. The apache rewrite (.htaccess) has to on too in order to convert the existing articles to show properly without error 404.

BTBlomberg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BTBlomberg » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:04 am

I just had this issue and could not figure it out after trying everything, or so I though. I had a new install of Joomla 1.5.8 and when through all the steps to try to figure it out and then after all but giving up I say this small option on the "Global Configuration" -> "System" tab -> "System Settings" box for "Enable Web Services". This was set to "No".

The pop-up on this option says: "Enable Web Services: Enable the ability of the installation to make RPC (Remote Procedure Calls) using HTTP as the transport medium and XML as the encoding language. This function is required to ensure that many third-party extensions work. Default is No."

After changing this to Yes I have had variations of "Search Engine Friendly URLs", "Use Apache mod_rewrite" and "Add suffix to URLs" work for me. I almost gave up on SEF URLs, bat and glad I kept checking.

liquid4rchiv3
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by liquid4rchiv3 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:45 am

Everything works great my poll my user registration user sign in except the search module anybody have any ideas i followed all of the steps

drkshenronx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by drkshenronx » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:34 am

I had the same problem and I am pretty sure I have figured out what is going on.

If you delete the main menu item (the default menu item) it will give you this 404 - Component not found error message.

Either leave the Main Menu with only the Home Menu Item OR Create a new Menu and set it as the default menu.

Another way to avoid this error is to not include the sample data when installing Joomla!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure this is the issue.

Hope this helps!!
Brian

cloudnine
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cloudnine » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:32 pm

drkshenronx wrote:If you delete the main menu item (the default menu item) it will give you this 404 - Component not found error message.

Either leave the Main Menu with only the Home Menu Item OR Create a new Menu and set it as the default menu.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure this is the issue. Hope this helps!!
You're a godsend. I tried everything else that everyone's suggested before your post but to no avail. Read your post, remembered that I changed the default menu item (clearly, in a moment of sheer stupidity), changed it back and now my site's working again. Thank you so much! :D

Talita
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Talita » Fri May 22, 2009 4:00 am

I read through the whole thread 10 times and none of this solved my problem, then I thought that my site worked fine before I fiddled with the configuration settings. I have set everything on here to what it was and still it did not work, then I remember that I also cleared out the Meta Data Settings under the first site tab and set both settings to "NO". After correcting, that solved the error for me.

TimR
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TimR » Mon May 25, 2009 10:18 pm

This is what fixed the problem for me after creating new, and deleting old menus:

Make sure you set a new default menu from your Joomla admin area > Menus. Choose a menu item and set it as default by clicking the Default button at the top right menu.

Tim R

saurabhbhide
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by saurabhbhide » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:38 am

Thank you abhinay, pigualada and reedcat1965. This really helped.
abhinay_desai wrote:Hi pigualada and reedcat1965,

For anyone else who is facing this problem, please follow these steps:

1. After uploading joomla 1.5 stable rename the htaccess.txt file in your root folder to .htaccess
2. Go to your backend-->Global configuration-->Use Apache mod_rewrite(Right Hand Top Corner) and enable it.

Hope this helps you too as it has helped me and dont forget to thank pigualada and reedcat1965!
http://joomanuals.com : The nirvana of Joomla! site builders

gpmod
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gpmod » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:22 pm

Hello to everyone i was ready to set up everything from the beggining and i saw that when you enable in Global conf. --> Site --> SEO Settings --> The Search Engine Friendly URLs to YES i got this error.

I strongly advise to anyone to keep this as NO.

Thank you all for the contribution.
GPMOD

kslang
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kslang » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:38 pm

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE FOLLOWING 404-component not found resolution. This is my first Joomla site and I suddenly received this error code. Your post fixed my issue. Blessings!

Kslang

KineticMind wrote:Hello guys.

I've been experiencing this problem too, but the solution is so simple as I've found here..

http://kb.siteground.com/article/404__C ... la_15.html
The most common reason for getting a "404 - Component not found" error on your Joomla 1.5 front page is a missing default menu item.

To resolve the issue, make sure you set a default menu from your Joomla admin area > Menus. Choose a menu item and set it as default by clicking the Default button at the top right menu.
Hope this helps...

dr_lionheart
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dr_lionheart » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:17 pm

drkshenronx wrote:I had the same problem and I am pretty sure I have figured out what is going on.

If you delete the main menu item (the default menu item) it will give you this 404 - Component not found error message.

Another way to avoid this error is to not include the sample data when installing Joomla!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure this is the issue.

Hope this helps!!
Brian
this was extremely helpful
thanks
PHP designer,
manager,RISEMYWEB
http://www.voxelx.com | Online DICOM viewer and library for radiologists

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”