Double Content titles after upgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
eric
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Double Content titles after upgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4

Post by eric » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:59 pm

DrDigital wrote:...and went and had everyone that has access to just go in and manually change every single article in the system to get ride of the double content titles and in an hour or two we would have the entire site redone. Vs a 20 second fix
For many people, it seems (you and I included), Page Titles are the same as Article Titles because of Rule 2 here:
http://www.joomla.org/content/view/5180/1/1/2/

If this is the case for you, then changing the global parameters to turn off Article Titles might work as a quick fix. This was also my initial reaction to the problem, but then I realized that for some menu types, such as Category List Layouts, you're left without any links to articles because the article titles have all disappeared.
Think for yourself, question authority.

onki
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by onki » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:01 pm

Hi again

I managed to get things done - more or less. Just a quick summary how I managed to get rid of the double article titles.

I first went to the global content settings an diabled show article title.
Then I modified all menu item parameters to show article title=use global settings; show page title = yes
The blog view menu Items I modified to show article title = yes; show page title =no

Using this settings I got rid of the double article title. Unfortunately I cannot see the page title in the blog view, just the listing of the content items. It would be nice to display a page title as well (e.G. overview or infocenter) but as soon as I enable the page title display in the blog view I have the problem with double article titles.

Still not sure if this behavior is OK but I am happy at the moment to see only one article title.

Best regards and many thanks for guiding me to the (preliminary?) solution

Onki

DrDigital
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DrDigital » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:03 pm

Obviously you didnt view the site, Every article shows 1 title

I apologize for being the first one to report this issue, I apologize for linking to a site that I built. I apologize for staying up for 2 hours working on a solution to my issue. I apologize for helping now 6 other people that said my solution worked.

To me everyone is pointing the finger and blog view as the issue. I dont have blog view used, Just a normal none menu linked item found in the 'Popular Module' all of them had Double Content Titles.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:20 pm

onki wrote:Hi again

I managed to get things done - more or less. Just a quick summary how I managed to get rid of the double article titles.

I first went to the global content settings an diabled show article title.
Then I modified all menu item parameters to show article title=use global settings; show page title = yes
The blog view menu Items I modified to show article title = yes; show page title =no

Using this settings I got rid of the double article title. Unfortunately I cannot see the page title in the blog view, just the listing of the content items. It would be nice to display a page title as well (e.G. overview or infocenter) but as soon as I enable the page title display in the blog view I have the problem with double article titles.

Still not sure if this behavior is OK but I am happy at the moment to see only one article title.

Best regards and many thanks for guiding me to the (preliminary?) solution

Onki
Onki -

Yes - that would certainly turn off article titles in the blog view.

Did you try this approach I recommended earlier?
AmyStephen wrote:
onki wrote:Hi again

I read the intrduction into the page tiutle issue and I (hopefully) understand the problem.

My only problem at the moment is that If I disable the page title view in the general content parameters and enable the page title in the blog view I can see the title of the blog view page (e.G. overview) but I can't see the title of the blog entries. When the general title view in the generic content settings is enabled I can see the titles of the content items in the blog view but if I click on read more of an content item I see the title twice (in two lines). I can't manage to see a single line and see the title in the blog view.
In all of my content items the title view is set to (use generic settings).

How can I manage to see a single title line in the content detail view and in the blog view?

Best regards

Onki
Onki -

To get rid of the double title - go into your Category Blog Layout menu item and set "Show Page Title" to No.

Then, go back and set "Show Article Title" to Yes in your Article Manager Parameters.

That should take care of your problem. If it doesn't, please share a screen print of your menu item and article configurations, and the blog page and article page. That will be most helpful for debugging.

It it works, please let me know that, as well, since that is also helpful.

Thanks for your patience.
Amy :)
If you tried it and it didn't work, having those screen prints of your menu item and article configurations, and the blog page and article page would be so helpful. It should work perfectly - if it doesn't then we need to figure out why.

Thanks,

DrDigital
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DrDigital » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:23 pm

eric wrote:I will say, though, that if I am understanding everything correctly that when using default settings (Article Titles = Yes in global parameters) that creating new menu items will result in having double titles. Parameters in either the Article or the Menu item must be changed in order to avoid double titles.

Does that sound accurate?

Both solutions work. So once again we found one more problem with more then 1 solution. I have updated my article because of this post and credited Eric for pointing out the list view deal. I was tired when I did the upgrade, I only did it because I had 4 people in the irc channel crying so I did it to see if I could find a quick fix, in less then 20 minutes i had the site upgraded and I had found a work around on the problem because google had nothing and no where on the release notes does it mention the possibility of having double content titles.... Am I wrong?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:45 pm

DrDigital wrote:
eric wrote:I will say, though, that if I am understanding everything correctly that when using default settings (Article Titles = Yes in global parameters) that creating new menu items will result in having double titles. Parameters in either the Article or the Menu item must be changed in order to avoid double titles.

Does that sound accurate?

Both solutions work. So once again we found one more problem with more then 1 solution. I have updated my article because of this post and credited Eric for pointing out the list view deal. I was tired when I did the upgrade, I only did it because I had 4 people in the irc channel crying so I did it to see if I could find a quick fix, in less then 20 minutes i had the site upgraded and I had found a work around on the problem because google had nothing and no where on the release notes does it mention the possibility of having double content titles.... Am I wrong?
What Eric is correctly pointing out is that we need to go back through the Menu Types and change the default values on some of them.

The specific menu type Eric is referencing is the Article Layout menu type. Because the default is set to Yes - and because this incorrect logic has been corrected - those who do not change their parameter values will wind up with two Page titles.

What Eric is suggesting is we should also change the default for that menu type to No. And, he is right on that. We should have done that and will do so before the next release.

Hope that helps,

onki
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by onki » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:49 pm

Hi

I'll try the other solution tomorrow. Need some sleep first.

Good Night

Onki

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:01 pm

Sounds good, thanks for your patience, Onki.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:49 pm

Okay, the correct way to change your page title display is to go into each individual menu link and change it. This is what I recommend for most people.

The below is only for experienced users who actually understand what the xml and php is doing.

WARNING: This is a hack

I only recommend this for experienced users who have many, many menu items to change or many many sites.

IF you want to make the default for a particular view be NOT to show the page title (it is currently default YES)

For all new links, change

administrator\components\com_menus\models\metadata\component.xml

Line 8

from

Code: Select all

<param name="show_page_title" type="radio" default="1" label="Show Page Title" description="SHOW/HIDE THE PAGES TITLE">
to

<param name="show_page_title" type="radio" default="0" label="Show Page Title" description="SHOW/HIDE THE PAGES TITLE">
This will apply to ALL link types

To change existing links which did not have a specific parameter selected go to the template for the view you want. Using article layout as an example go to:

components\com_content\views\article\templ\default.php

and change line 6

<?php if ($this->params->get('show_page_title', 1)) : ?>
to:

<?php if ($this->params->get('show_page_title', 0)) : ?>
What these changes do is change the default value of show_page_title to 0 instead of 1.

Again, please only do this if you actually understand what it is doing.
It is NOT necessary to do both changes.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

onki
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by onki » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:41 am

Hi Amy

I tried the solution to set the global article title on and disable the page title in the blog menu item off. It works as well.

I think the real problem is that when the 'real' article is shown in detailed view (after clicking on read more) the article title is treated as page title (which is wrong in my opinion). This leads to the double display in the article view.

I can live with the current solution at the moment although it's not the right way in my opinion. The problem is that it's impossible at the moment to display a page title in the blog view without having the double titles in the article view.

Best regards

Onki

Gedu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gedu » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:44 am

Good morning,

I would like to share my problem with you Amy:

- At the backend I've turned on the Show article Title:
http://www.getonline.ie/images/stories/ ... rences.jpg

- And I've turned on the Show Page Title in the Menu Item as well because our customer wants to see the Category title:
http://www.getonline.ie/images/stories/ ... rences.jpg

- Now everything looks fine:
http://www.getonline.ie/images/stories/ ... layout.jpg

- but when I click on a link I'll see two titles, one from componentheading and one from contentheading:
http://www.getonline.ie/images/stories/ ... t_list.jpg

It isn't possible to turn off the Show Page Title for me, this option is necessary.

(I don't understand clearly why the joomla developer team changed the way of this. It was working well until the new release. :) )

All the best, and I'm still waiting for a solution without hack :pop

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:16 pm

Gedu (and all) -

You are right. We have a problem in the Category blogs when you drill down to the Article levels by clicking the "Read more" (or page title) links.

Thank you for taking time to share images of your configuration and the output. That helped illuminate this problem very clearly.

I am not certain what we are going to do but I will report back soon on this.

My personal apologies for this issue as I was a part of the testing and failed to see this error.

Thank you for your patience.
Amy

Gedu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gedu » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:40 pm

No problem,

We just do our best :D

the_jackal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by the_jackal » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:12 pm

Hi to all!

Based on mcsmom hack - http://forum.joomla.org/posting.php?mod ... #pr1344992 - if you don't want to feel as "hacker" :p - try to use this solution ( thanx to nice Joomla! MVC framework!) ;)

1. Create folder /html/com_content/article/ in your current template ( full path in default template show : /templates/rhuk_milkyway/html/com_content/article/).
2. Copy the changed default.php to this folder. (See my attachment).
3. Your Joomla! 1.5.4 now render this file instead of core file, t.m. you not need change core file -> not a "hacker", but developer! :D

Hope this help.
changed_default_php_for_154.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tibor Tóth - Slovak & Hungarian Forum Moderator
Joomla! User Association Hungary - http://www.joomla.org.hu
Joomla! Slovakia - Community & Support - http://www.joomla.sk

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:22 pm

Tibor -

Thank you. This is a very good solution. It is so encouraging to see community stepping up and helping one another.

We are still working on this and will be back with more.

Thank you, again, Tibor.

uNiVerse555
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by uNiVerse555 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:43 am

AmyStephen wrote:Gedu (and all) -

You are right. We have a problem in the Category blogs when you drill down to the Article levels by clicking the "Read more" (or page title) links.

Thank you for taking time to share images of your configuration and the output. That helped illuminate this problem very clearly.

I am not certain what we are going to do but I will report back soon on this.

My personal apologies for this issue as I was a part of the testing and failed to see this error.

Thank you for your patience.
Amy
I have what I think is a related issue...

After upgrading from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4 I had the double page titles (or an article and page title). I went in to each menu item and disabled the page title and got my desired results... with one exception:

I have a frontpage article with a read more break... on the frontpage it shows just the article title... after I click on read more it shows the page title and article title.

As a frontpage article I cant simply change the menu item to disable page title.

If I go into the article itself to disable article title (and have only page title showing as a compromise)... it breaks the read more functionality.

No big deal in the long run but I suspect it's either the same bug quoted above in a different guise or a related bug.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:01 am

It sounds like the same problem. The article layout we know is not working correctly.

Try Tibor's solution- a couple of posts up. It will completely resolve this problem while you wait for the permanent fix.

Thanks for reporting this and to all of you for your support and patience.

Oliver23
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Oliver23 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:16 pm

A simple way to solve the problem is to ad the following to the CSS:

.componentheading {
display: none;
}
Best regards - Oliver
Webdesign Zürich, Zug und Luzern / Webagentur: https://www.webgarten.ch

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:33 pm

Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

the_jackal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by the_jackal » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:53 pm

Oliver23 wrote:A simple way to solve the problem is to ad the following to the CSS:

.componentheading {
}
Best regards - Oliver
Hi Oliver23!

Be careful with "switch-off" css class .componentheading in your template css file. Many extensions and also core files use this class to display for the component title, etc. If you simply set display:none, this title never show up. ;)

Oliver23
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Oliver23 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:14 pm

the_jackal wrote:
Oliver23 wrote:A simple way to solve the problem is to ad the following to the CSS:

.componentheading {
}
Best regards - Oliver
Hi Oliver23!

Be careful with "switch-off" css class .componentheading in your template css file. Many extensions and also core files use this class to display for the component title, etc. If you simply set display:none, this title never show up. ;)
Yep thanks. I don't habe many components on that website. I'll use it until the bug is hopefully fixed in 1.5.5 :-)
Webdesign Zürich, Zug und Luzern / Webagentur: https://www.webgarten.ch

CommodorePeter
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CommodorePeter » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:56 pm

Before the development team rushes to judgment on all the feedback about the double titles I'd like to offer some comments. The problem is really a lack of facility to manage and propagate the Page title feature.

1) The new consistency of the parameter overrides is great. It really is easier to manage software that works in a consistent way (even if flawed). The problem is that it undoes all the compensatory stuff people have done to get their web sites working (Oh well life's a b...). I really think we can manage the pain.
2) The Article title is well managed by both a Global parameters list set in the Article Manager as well as the detail override at the Article itself. The problem is that the Page Title is troublesome to set in the Menu Manager as there is no way to set this as a Global it must be done at each menu item. Why can there not be a similar Global parameters list in the Menu manager? And then have the detail override in the menu item itself.
3) Enhance the Global override for the special cases of the Front Page and special layouts (such as blogs or lists).

Cheers.

eagleshout
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by eagleshout » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:51 pm

I haven't upgraded yet and after giving this a brief review, I'm wondering if this will complicate a problem I'm having with 1.5.3.

I changed the FAQ Menu item to Section Blog Layout and get the following results: Image

The Submenu links (in top menu) are set to Category Blog Layout and when selected yield the following: Image

However, when you select one of the Article links in the Section Blog Layout (see 1st image) I get the following: Image

I would prefer that the Article links would provide the same results as the either the submenu or the customized Article List as the first image. (does that make sense?)

I was hoping this might be corrected with the upgrade but now I'm not so sure.

NOTE TO MODERATORS: Feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread if it's not relevant to this one.

cigdangle
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cigdangle » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:33 pm

Tibor's solution did not seem to work for me. Am I missing something? I am still seeing Page and Article titles.

the_jackal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by the_jackal » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:17 pm

Which template do you use? Core, 3pd, own.... ?

cigdangle
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cigdangle » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:28 pm

I am using a custom template based on rhuk_milkway on one of my sites with the issue.

Other than this fix, what else should I be doing to prevent two titles from appearing?

BytheBy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BytheBy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:26 pm

the_jackal wrote:Hi to all!

etc...

Hope this help.
changed_default_php_for_154.zip
Hmmm, neither does this mod work for me. I'm using the template JSN_Epic_Free

CirTap
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by CirTap » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:58 pm

CommodorePeter wrote:... The problem is that the Page Title is troublesome to set in the Menu Manager as there is no way to set this as a Global it must be done at each menu item. Why can there not be a similar Global parameters list in the Menu manager? And then have the detail override in the menu item itself. ...
I fully agree.
Unfortunately, com_menu does not even read the params column from the components table, which would be a nice and easy way to change the defaults w/o changing any files. That's probably due to the different menutypes that each have their very own set of parameters but some that overlap: you may want a menu_image for Menu Links but not for Components. The core and the db structure can't deal with that as global parameters as there is only one params column for com_menu.

I ended up editing the xml config files which is a little "hacky" but less errorprone than messing with the php code. It works prefect and since the xml files change less frequently than the php code this is pretty update-savvy :-)
For com_menu look at
administrator/components/com_menus/models/metadata/*.xml
and change the default attributes to your needs, but keep track of any change you make! This may still be considered a "core hack" ;-)

Have fun,
CirTap
You can have programs written fast, well, and cheap, but you only get to pick 2 ...

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams

masteryoda
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by masteryoda » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:46 pm

tibor's solution does not work for me neither.
i don't want to change the core, cos i don't want to generate an other problem for the following releases, :( :(
what can we do now??
Last edited by masteryoda on Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord of Opportunity

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:49 pm

cigdangle and masteryoda -

Would you please describe what you did, exactly? Tibor's fix should work for your situation, as well. You might want to try it again, carefully following the instructions. Otherwise, share the specific steps you took to implement this fix and we can see what went wrong.

Thanks!

+++++

I also appreciated CommodorePeter's comments. To be clear for those of you trying to address the "double titles on the article page" problem, what CirTap is responding to has nothing to do with the double title problem. It addresses a way for individuals to establish defaults for new menu items and it is an idea that works. It is also undeniably a core hack and you would need to upgrade with that in mind. In fact, for the next upgrade, it could change ;). Mainly realize that trying this idea will not correct the double title issue.

Thanks for the continued support and all of these ideas.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”