SEF URLs break breadcrumb links

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
osu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

SEF URLs break breadcrumb links

Post by osu » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:12 pm

Hi,

I can't get the links to categories to work in the breadcrumb navigation when I have SEF URLs on. When I try to click on the following link in the breadcrumbs:

http://localhost:8888/domain.com/index. ... 4-category

I get a 404 error. Switching back to normal URLs solves the problem, but I'd much prefer to have SEF URLs if possible.

Is there anything I can try?

Thanks

osu

wildside
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: SEF URLs break breadcrumb links

Post by wildside » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:59 pm

Hi all,

I have just noticed the same on my 1.5.3 clean install. I have an article in a category of the section the breadcrumb is displayed like this..... Home>> Section>>Category>>Article
Whilst on the article page the three previous breadcrumb titles are linkable and clicking on the category link gives a 404 error
This is when SEF is enabled... With SEF disabled the link functions and the page refreshes to the default category list page layout.

I have an older Joomla install that is 1.5.0 patched to 1.5.3 The error does not occur in this version so I guess there has been something changed that takes effect with a new install that the patch file didn't copy over...

Any one have any ideas what to do next... Obviously it would be nice to use SEF

Thanks all

Clive

unclefudgly
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by unclefudgly » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:56 pm

Same problem here as well. I would really like to keep SEF on , but this is making it quite awkward. The SEF is rewriting category articles with ID's which have no relationship to the articles further down the line. guess there is something I'm missing though not quite sure what that is.

zenalien
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zenalien » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:32 pm

would be intersted by a solution.. got the same problem...
if ever someone read this !!!

thanx
Tahiti Full Screen VR Panoramas
http://www.direct2brain.net

wildside
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wildside » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:36 am

Hi all,

If someone tells me in which directory or file this error is coming from I could try copying them from my 1.5.0 patched to 1.5.3 install to my 1.5.3 clean install which is the one that has the problem....

Having said the above I just checked a complete clean install with the sample data loaded... This error does not happen...

So I must conclude that it is something I have done wrong in my section<<category menu item set up or the error only occurs when a new section and category menu item created..

So, in a clean install with the sample data loaded I have created a section called "test" a category called "test" and an article called "test"... then a menu item in main menu section blog layout called...yes you guessed it... "test"

The breadcrumbs all work perfectly...

So it must be something that I have done in the set up of the other install... I am fairly sure I followed the same order as above but I probably created the section, category and menu item before the article.. This wouldn't make a difference would it...

Regards...
Confused in Spain :)

Clive

wildside
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wildside » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:18 am

Hi all,

This error seems to only exist in a menu item blog layout.... I have my menu item to section item blog layout. If I edit it and change it to section layout the breadcrumbs work fine.... When I change back to section blog layout the category breadcrumb produces a 404

Can anyone else confirm that this is happening just in the blog layout?

Clive

osu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by osu » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi Clive,

I'll check this out when I get home tonight, thanks for keeping this thread alive - I'm surprised how no one else has commented yet, must be a common problem I would have thought.

osu

deck2deck
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by deck2deck » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:42 pm

I'm not using the blog layout but my breadcrumbs are also broken... when I click on a Category or Section link (inside the breadcrumb), I'm taken to a totally different page than what I'm aiming for.

To be honest, I hadn't tested them before now so I have no clue if they've worked all along or if this is a new phenomenon... but very disheartening!! The breadcrumbs are useless if they don't work.

I was using SEF URL's and just changed them, based on these posts... breadcrumbs are now working fine.

ANYONE have any clues on how to get both SEF URL's and breadcrumbs working well together? Thanks in advance!
Be part of the solution -- not part of the problem.

blucadet3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by blucadet3 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:47 pm

We are having the same issue, having just turned them on (and now back off). Anxiously awaiting a fix.

:pop

sgc2000
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sgc2000 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:21 pm

I've got the same problem, I installed the sample data and edited that (I think) which would probably explain why one of my links works but the others do not.

diatomin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by diatomin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:44 am

Same problem here, and on top of that, my category list view doesn't display links to articles, just the numbers of the various entries! :'(

Has anyone else encounter the latter problem?

wildside
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wildside » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:47 pm

Hi all,

I have updated to 1.5.4 but see that one of the breadcrumb linkss are still not working unless I disable SEF. Has anyone got an update on this? I have breadcrumbs disabled for now but would like to turn them back on at some point.

Clive

adriej
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by adriej » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:01 pm

Breadcrumbs and blog view of categories are both dead for us as well. Kind of disappointing that 1.5.4 doesn't fix it. :(

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dextercowley » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:49 pm

Hi. I have two ideas.

1. Try changing the configuration.php file as follows:

Code: Select all

var $live_site = 'http://www.yoururl.org';

2. If (1) doesn't work, has anyone been able to reproduce this problem using the Joomla! Sample website or a blank website (clean Joomla! install)? If so, can someone please provide a quick step-by-step for how to do this? Then I can try to reproduce the problem.

I have just tried enabling SEF URL's on the sample site (1.5.4) and using both the section blog and table layouts (Example Pages menu), I cannot get the breadcrumbs to break. I also use SEF and breadcrumbs on my live site and it appears to work correctly. I tried adding a new category and new article.

Thanks. Mark

P.S. How is the Apache mod_rewrite set?
Mark Dexter
"Well...how did I get here?"

micheas
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by micheas » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:53 am

articles accessed via Blog section view are broken.

http://www.sfsan.org/legislation/18-hea ... tions.html

will give you a broken bread crumb.

Instead of linking to category 6 it links to article 6.

wildside
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wildside » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:40 am

Hi all,

I tried adding my url to $live_site = 'http://www.yoururl.org'; There was nothing in this area when I looked at my config file it was var $live_site = '';

Anyway, I re published the breadcrumbs to test and I have the same error.....I have an article in a category of the section the breadcrumb is displayed like this..... Home>> Section>>Category>>Article
Whilst on the article page the three previous breadcrumb titles are linkable and clicking on the category link gives a 404 error
This is when SEF is enabled... With SEF disabled the link functions and the page refreshes to the default category list page layout.

I'm off now to download the posting assistant... :)

Clive

micheas
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by micheas » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:36 pm

wildside wrote:Hi all,

I

This is because you are being directed to the artile with the id of the category that the article is in.

The bug is section link in the breadcrumbs and sef.

Sayonara
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sayonara » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:46 am

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with the breadcrumb and SEF enabled. When I click the category link in the breadcrum it takes me to a 404 or the article with the same ID as the category.

Also, the same problem occurs when you click on the category link that is underneath the Article Title on your frontpage/blog.

Did we see any comments from a Joomla core member ?

brokenM
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by brokenM » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:37 pm

I've just fixed the 404 error for me but it wasn't for the breadcrumbs but for the normal heading. So, it may not be applicable and if not sorry but figured I hadn't seen it mentioned in the thread yet...

Enable Use Apache mod_rewrite from the Global Configuration > Site area and then you need to rename the .htaccess.txt to .htaccess in the root directory of your Joomla site installation.

wildside
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wildside » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi all, I already have .htaccess file and SEF...

Below is diagnostic info from the amazing post assistant which I hope will help

Clive

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.4 Production/Stable [ Naiki ] 6-July-2008 22:00 GMT
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 644 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.9-67.0.15.ELsmp ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.7a DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 ( www.mysite.com ) | PHP Version: 5.2.5
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 90 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.51a-community ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

Extended Information:
SEF: Enabled (with ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Enabled | htaccess: Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)
PHP Environment: API: cgi-fcgi | MySQLi: Yes | Max. Memory: 64M | Max. Upload Size: 64M | Max. Post Size: 55M | Max. Input Time: -1 | Zend Version: 2.2.0
Disabled Functions: shell_exec,system,passthru,exec,popen,proc_close,proc_get_status,proc_nice,proc_open,proc_terminate,highlight_file,escapeshellcmd,define_syslog_variables,posix_uname,posix_getpwuid,apache_child_terminate,posix_kill,posix_mkfifo,posix_setpgid,posix_setsid,posix_setuid,escapeshellarg,posix_uname,ftp_exec,ftp_connect,ftp_login,ftp_get,ftp_put,ftp_nb_fput,ftp_raw,ftp_rawlist,ini_alter,ini_restore,inject_code,syslog,openlog,define_syslog_variables,apache_setenv
MySQL Client: 5.0.51a ( latin1 )

vkocher
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by vkocher » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:07 pm

Hello
i think i have a similar problem
when i wish to have the categorie Linkable
so the Links points to content and not to the catergorie
sincrly
vincent
from switzerland

micheas
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by micheas » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:22 am

Could a moderator move this to QandA?

Thanks

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:14 am

Please apply the patch available here:

http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=11849

If you could do this asap and report back that would be extremely helpful as it is close to being committed.

Only apply the file that says router2.patch, not the other ones.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

vkocher
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by vkocher » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:25 am

hello
this is all to be done by copy past on the right place.
Nothing to install like it is with joomla.
so i will have to do it this evening.

sincerly
vincent

vkocher
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by vkocher » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:22 pm

Hello
what the meaning of this nummer @@ -233,7 +233,7 @@
i can't really find out what to change :-\ :-[ :(

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:51 pm

That's just telling you what lines to look at.
search for the lines that match and replace the lines starting with - with the lines starting with +.

http://developer.joomla.org/bug-squad-b ... tches.html
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

vkocher
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by vkocher » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:55 pm

:-[
sorry i tried it but don't get it!

Sayonara
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sayonara » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:55 pm

mcsmom wrote:Please apply the patch available here:

http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=11849

If you could do this asap and report back that would be extremely helpful as it is close to being committed.

Only apply the file that says router2.patch, not the other ones.
I've made the changes and it solved the problem for me. It now gives me a nice blog layout when I click the category link in a breadcrumb.

Is it possible to have a list layout instead of a blog layout? Will this be fixed in the next 1.5 release ?

My website is http://www.dragons.be for anyone who wants to have a try. It's a dutch webby...

Cheers

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:10 pm

Yes that is fixed in 1.5.5.

vkocher
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by vkocher » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:24 pm

Hello
because i can't change the code i will be waiting 1.5.5 - when should this be out?
sincerly
vincent

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”