CB Captcha security image problem

Discuss the development and implementation of Joomla! components here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
m_niemann
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

CB Captcha security image problem

Post by m_niemann » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:26 pm

I'm running Joomla v. 1.0.11 with community builder v. 1.1 and CB captcha v. 1.0.

I'm not sure what happened, but the registration page does not display the security image anymore. The box where users enter the security code is still there, but no image. Has anyone else encountered that problem and what do I do to get it back? I tried all the usual stuff, unpublish and republish. I reinstalled the captcha plugin clean. All to no avail.

I'm at my wit's end.

Thanks for your help.
Michael

LBen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: CB Captcha security image problem

Post by LBen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:52 am

I'm having same problem. Registration with captcha worked until a few days ago. No changes to site.

Captcha image no longer showing up, so no one can register.

J 1.0.12 CB 1.0.2

m_niemann
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by m_niemann » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:54 pm

I've been in touch with the folks at Joomlapolis and after upgrading to CB 1.2 RC2 and CB Captcha 2.1 RC2 I thought the think might work. In the end, what did the trick was getting in touch with my hosting provider, turning on PHP 5.0 and the turning on fastCGI for PHP5.

Don't ask me why that worked, but it did.

Now, of course, I face a different problem. The new version of CB does not let me change the default new user status to 'Author' anymore. At least I cannot find the line where I could change from 'Registered' to 'Author' anymore.

Does anyone have any ideas on that?

benya
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by benya » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:51 pm

Nick A. (CB Team Member) has replied to this problem multiple times on the Joomapolis website:
http://www.joomlapolis.com/component/op ... itstart,0/

If you have experienced server maintenance from your hosting company recently just before your Captcha problem occurred than read on... I will echo what what fixed the problem for me here:

I am the sys admin on the server where I have several Joomla! sites installed (of various versions later than 1.0.11) with Community Builder 1.1 and the Captcha plugin 1.0.

In July I upgraded our Red Hat Enterprise Linux web server to Apache II, PHP 5, and MySQL 5. Some configurations from before the upgrade were missing and that broke a few things that had to be fixed. One of the things that broke was the Captcha Image display. I found out from the forum above that the following modules are needed to be included into the Apache Build to support this... (You will have to ask your hosting provider to include these in their Apache Build with PHP - provided you are on a unix machine. I have no idea of whats needed on a Windows box)

GD (Graphics Library for PHP)
GNU gettext utilities (also for PHP)
Freetype (Font Support)

In my case I had forgotten to build in the Freetype support and adding it in fixed my problem.
I hope this helps someone...
Ben S.
Ben Sheppard - Founding Director - Global ICT Systems Inc.
+1 646.512.1972 (mobile)
http://www.GlobalICTSystems.com
http://cms.globalictsystems.com/content ... ction/3/9/

Return to “Components”