yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.
Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby yvolk » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:25 pm

fayway wrote:Hi yvolk !
great work ! thanks in advance for all what you are doing.
I have one question, is there a hack to make yvcomment automatically send a notification email (like the current "Notify me when a reply is posted" of this forum) to concerned persons of a post (I'm talking about guests who don't have an account...)
Best Regards
There is option to notify persons, mentioned in configuration. That's all for now. I don't know about any hacks... Anyway, allowing emailing to guests leads to spam (if guest uses somebody else's email).

fayway
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:08 pm

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby fayway » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:07 am

:'(
The notification option is very important when trying to use joomla like a blog (wordpress and blogger give this possibility)
and i can't even set manually subscribers (apart admin) in component configuration cause just the admin is concerned by receiving a notification for all articles...
Thanks any way

Sintra
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:49 am

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby Sintra » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:52 pm

Dear all,

I have implemented yvComment successfully on Joomla 1.5.3. It nicely shows last five comments in the left column on the website (my sandbox, so link will not be possible here). The issue is that is shows the whole comment, but I will like to limit it to the heading of the comment.

Anyone have the solution for that?

Many thanks!

Sintra

:)

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby yvolk » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:03 pm

fayway wrote::'(
The notification option is very important when trying to use joomla like a blog (wordpress and blogger give this possibility)
and i can't even set manually subscribers (apart admin) in component configuration cause just the admin is concerned by receiving a notification for all articles...
Thanks any way

Well, you should compare WordPress with Joomla!, not with yvComment :-)
I mean, just like WordPress has Post Notification Plugin, Joomla! needs the same. If you will find (or develop...) such plugin, that is good to notify on new articles, it's not a problem to extend it to notify about new comments on articles (if comments are stored in content table...). You may start your search from "notification"...
Please, post results of your investigations here: we'll think, what to do next. But please, make sure the plugin "is good" (at least, for You), so we won't spend time for nothing...

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment with Funkyslide

Postby yvolk » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:37 pm

Growmaster wrote:Hello, after struggling to find, which commentsystem suits my needs I found yours and get to tuning it for my futuresite. I'm pretty curious how to get it working with Funkyslide, so the look would be more comprehensive, for instance get whole addcomment form in slide openable with a button/text anchor. Funkyslide is working with modules, but what to do with plugin-generated content? I'm thinking about some hardcore-hack, implementing slide in yvcomments default.php? What do you think about it as a concept?

P.S. I got to ask creator of Funkyslide probably...

I didn't have a chance to test Funkyslide yet, but I think, that 'as a concept' this is good, moreover, as you may see, yvComment can show comments AND "add your comment" text in the module ("comment" view for module).

Answering to your question about 'what to do with plugin-generated content': for now you may set option 'Position of comments'='Defined by Article template' and insert yvComment-generated text to any place you want (or nowhere for some view). See Homepage for more info...
Growmaster wrote:Today I have another request. When I have addcomment form on a separate page, how could i get a "NumComments" div displayed before an article intro?

example
Image

This is exactly that 'request', for which 'Position of comments'='Defined by Article template' was created...

Sintra
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:49 am

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby Sintra » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:24 am

Hi,

Since JomComment doesn´t have the language for my native, I have chosen yvComment. It works fine, except for together with MyBlog. MyBlog has, as you probably know, JomComment built in. Even if I have it disabled, it won't work.

Is it possible to get yvComment to work with MyBlog as well?

Thanks!

Sintra

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby yvolk » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:52 am

Sintra wrote:Hi,

Since JomComment doesn´t have the language for my native, I have chosen yvComment. It works fine, except for together with MyBlog. MyBlog has, as you probably know, JomComment built in. Even if I have it disabled, it won't work.

Is it possible to get yvComment to work with MyBlog as well?

Hi, Sintra!
As I can see, MyBlog is commersial extension: I can not download, nor use it without paying money. So, I can't help you for free, sorry :(

Sintra
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:49 am

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby Sintra » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:00 am

Hi again,

That is true. I will try some other way then. Thanks for trying!

Sintra

FARAN
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby FARAN » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Hi,
I want to translate the front end of this handy plugin into urdu language, may anybody guide me which files to be chenged and where a change is to be made?
Thanx

User avatar
dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso
Posts: 3135
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:36 pm
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby dizzi » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:40 pm

Hi Yuri

First of all huge thanks for an excellent extension and for making it freely available - fantastic stuff :) . I am currently using it with the OSTWigits Captcha plugin. (On a side note, I would have preferred to use Bigo captcha but the image does not appear for some reason). The OSTWigits captcha works fine (although the generated text is bit difficult to read).

In order to make things a bit easier for users, I would like to add the following message between the Captcha image and the "Word verification" text box.

For antispam purposes, the letters shown above need to be entered. There are no uppercases, numbers or spaces.

Strangely enough, an equivalent message is displayed only when the captcha image does not appear, which does not make it particularly useful (observed when testing the extension with Bigo Captcha).

Your help in placing a persistent message will be truly appreciated :) . Thanks once again for a super extension.

Cheers
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...
There is no problem a good miracle can't fix.

User avatar
dax702
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:20 am

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby dax702 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:39 pm

Hello, I have been searching on Google to see an example of a site that is using yvComment, along with its module but have not been able to find any that are showing the module. Are any readers of this thread using the module? If so, can I see your site? Private message is fine if you don't want to post publicly... Thanks!

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Who uses yvComment module?

Postby yvolk » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:19 am

dax702 wrote:Hello, I have been searching on Google to see an example of a site that is using yvComment, along with its module but have not been able to find any that are showing the module. Are any readers of this thread using the module? If so, can I see your site? Private message is fine if you don't want to post publicly... Thanks!

Just one tip: module was introduced in v.1.18 only, so try to search yvcomment v.1.18 "latest comments" - I saw at least two examples there.
I'm attaching copy of my test page with three yvComment modules on it (configured differently...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
PeFik
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:39 am
Location: Poland

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby PeFik » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:49 pm

How to add article HITS : xxxx under or near yvComment comment field?

How to show the most commented article list with numers of comments (something like popular news) ?

Example:
- About project (12 comments)
- About us (7 comments)
- Our books (5 comments)

hmmm? thanx.
Sometimes a write a book or article about... CMS.

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

'Most commented' module for yvComment?

Postby yvolk » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:49 pm

PeFik wrote:How to add article HITS : xxxx under or near yvComment comment field?
I think, this should be done, customizing com_content template, not yvComment's.
PeFik wrote:How to show the most commented article list with numers of comments (something like popular news) ?

Example:
- About project (12 comments)
- About us (7 comments)
- Our books (5 comments)

hmmm? thanx.
This requires creation of new view: 'Most commented' (and new model, in terms of MVC).
I'll add this to the TODO list.

mmeytin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby mmeytin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:48 pm

Yuri, a couple of additional questions about yvComment. What are the differences between various minor releases - 1.8.2 and 1.8.4 for example? I didn't find release notes for the minor version, should I bother upgrading our installation? Also, one minor feature request. On a "blog" page listing articles with comments yvComment displays Comments(xx) if an article has some comments, or "Add a comment" if it doesn't. It uses the same ADD_YOUR_COMMENT resource for "Add a comment" heading above the form. Would it be possible to separate these two resources in the future version of the tool? This is because we wanted to have a short "Add comment" link in the "blog" view, but a longer message such as "Add your comment. By submitting my comment here, I acknowledge that I have read, understood and will adhere to the Blog Comment policy. " immediately above the form. Or maybe you can suggest a better way to customize text above the form? We also wanted to add explanation of CAPTCHA field to the form, and wanted to use the same ADD_YOUR_COMMENT resource.

Thanks in advance for your help!

User avatar
dax702
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:20 am

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby dax702 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:50 pm

I have not yet downloaded yvcomment.. Is it possible to see the table structure for if I wanted to import several comments to display on an article? In other words, how it would look in a CSV file in Excel?

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby yvolk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:15 am

dax702 wrote:I have not yet downloaded yvcomment.. Is it possible to see the table structure for if I wanted to import several comments to display on an article? In other words, how it would look in a CSV file in Excel?

yvComment has two options: use 'content' table of Joomla! or use its own table. In both cases the structure of the table is the same: , just LIKE it is in 'installation/sql/mysql/joomla.sql' file, see
'Table structure for table `#__content`'.
If you want to see, what data will be inside that table, use some SQL manager to see 'jos_content' table of your database.
For your convenience, I exported my jos_content table to the 'CVS' using phpMyAdmin, see it attached. The table contains both general articles and comments. Comments have '5' in the 'sectionid' column.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby yvolk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:32 am

mmeytin wrote:Yuri, a couple of additional questions about yvComment. What are the differences between various minor releases - 1.8.2 and 1.8.4 for example? I didn't find release notes for the minor version, should I bother upgrading our installation?

I put release notes|changes in the JoomlaCode - see properties of each release there... I think, I should create separate 'yvcomment_changes.txt' file inside the package...
mmeytin wrote:Also, one minor feature request. On a "blog" page listing articles with comments yvComment displays Comments(xx) if an article has some comments, or "Add a comment" if it doesn't. It uses the same ADD_YOUR_COMMENT resource for "Add a comment" heading above the form. Would it be possible to separate these two resources in the future version of the tool? This is because we wanted to have a short "Add comment" link in the "blog" view, but a longer message such as "Add your comment. By submitting my comment here, I acknowledge that I have read, understood and will adhere to the Blog Comment policy. " immediately above the form. Or maybe you can suggest a better way to customize text above the form?

I think, that this one addition won't be enough for you :)
You better create your own template for 'comment' view of yvcomment (see 'Template override'...) and change it, as you wish.
mmeytin wrote:We also wanted to add explanation of CAPTCHA field to the form, and wanted to use the same ADD_YOUR_COMMENT resource.

Oh, I see, you want more :). 'Template override' will allow you to do this.

mmeytin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby mmeytin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:40 am

yvolk wrote:I put release notes|changes in the JoomlaCode - see properties of each release there... I think, I should create separate 'yvcomment_changes.txt' file inside the package...

Found them, thanks! BTW, I reported a bug on JoomlaCode a few days ago, not sure if you ever saw it.
yvolk wrote:You better create your own template for 'comment' view of yvcomment (see 'Template override'...) and change it, as you wish.

You're probably right, I didn't think it warranted to override the template, but I keep getting small requests like that for the site I'm working on, and it's probably best to just override the template. Thanks for a very prompt response!

User avatar
dax702
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:20 am

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby dax702 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:43 am

If you want to see, what data will be inside that table, use some SQL manager to see 'jos_content' table of your database.
For your convenience, I exported my jos_content table to the 'CVS' using phpMyAdmin, see it attached. The table contains both general articles and comments. Comments have '5' in the 'sectionid' column.


I'm looking at your CSV file in the spreadsheet, and I see that the comments have sectionid of 5.
But what I'm missing is what ties the comments to a specific article? Can I see the website that this content table is associated with? Perhaps it will help me understand..

In other words, say I have "Sample Article" which has an ID of 4, resides in Section 2 and Category 3. I understand that the comments must all be in the same section; let's call that section 6. So say I have twenty comments on Sample Article. How do those comments get attached to that article if all they have is a section id? (I also see that comments have a catid of 34 in your file)

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - How comments are linked to the Articles

Postby yvolk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:37 am

dax702 wrote:I'm looking at your CSV file in the spreadsheet, and I see that the comments have sectionid of 5.
But what I'm missing is what ties the comments to a specific article? Can I see the website that this content table is associated with? Perhaps it will help me understand..

In other words, say I have "Sample Article" which has an ID of 4, resides in Section 2 and Category 3. I understand that the comments must all be in the same section; let's call that section 6. So say I have twenty comments on Sample Article. How do those comments get attached to that article if all they have is a section id? (I also see that comments have a catid of 34 in your file)

Every Comment is linked to the Article using 'parentid' field.
So, for your example, all comments of "Sample Article" will have parentid=4.
I think, this is proper usage of existing field of 'jos_content' table :)
This approach allows any level of hierarchy: any comment, conceptually, may be commented. I'm planning to add 'Comment on comments' feature to the yvComment...

Please note, that yvComment uses some additional 'attributes' of comment. All these additional attributes are stored in the 'metadata' field of 'jos_content' table. Again, this is proper usage of this field, not a 'hack' of Joomla! core... I believe ;)

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

How to translate yvComment to new language

Postby yvolk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:56 am

FARAN wrote:Hi,
I want to translate the front end of this handy plugin into urdu language, may anybody guide me which files to be chenged and where a change is to be made?
Thanx

yvComment has special, 'English language pack', that is template package to be used by translators to create additional language packs for yvComment extension.
So, if you want to create new translation for yvComment, download that 'English language pack' from JoomlaCode (see '3_LanguagePackTemplate' package) and follow instructions in the yvCommentLanguagePack_en-GB.xml file.
As a result, you will have yvCommentLanguagePack_xx-XX_1.18.000.000.zip package for your language, where xx-XX is the code or your language (see your 'full' Joomla! language pack)

I'm waiting for your translation!

User avatar
dax702
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:20 am

Re: yvComment - How comments are linked to the Articles

Postby dax702 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:44 am

Every Comment is linked to the Article using 'parentid' field.
So, for your example, all comments of "Sample Article" will have parentid=4.


Ok, so if i understand correctly, then in the content table you attached to your post, that would mean that the comment titled "Testing comments" is attached to the "We Are Volunteers" article, correct?

Please correct and/or clarify my understanding of the following fields if you would be so kind. Perhaps this info will help anyone else that is looking to import comments:

-No Introtext, the text of the comment goes in the fulltext field.
-Not sure what the mask field is?
-sectionid and catid are always the same for comments.
-created is the date the comment was placed
-created_by - not sure what this is? Perhaps the guest user's id you speak of in your instructions?
-created_by_alias is the field where I insert the person's name
-ordering is set to 1, what is this? It's not the order of the comments apparently?
-metadata field has created_by_link= and this is where I put a weblink if the user has included one in his comment
-What happens to an unregistered commentor's email address when he enters it? (I don't need to have email as a field anywhere?)

I think I have a pretty good handle on most of it. The only thing that has me concerned is the id field. As far as I understand, everything in Joomla must have a unique id. The question is, when I go to import many comments at once into the content table, how will I know what id to start at? Do I just take the next highest number after the last in the table? Does the subject of the comment become the title field?

Thanks again for helping me with this...

geurtd
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:35 am

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby geurtd » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:12 am

Hi Yuri,
First of all thanks for a great extension.
I'm new at joomla but i had no problems installing and setting up yvcomment.
I do have one little problem that i can't figure out.
I want users who comment on my site to be able to link to video's.
I have the extension AllVideos and this works great if a registered user posts a new article, they can add the tag to link to a [youtube] video, however the same tag in a comment does not work, it shows the tag as text in stead of showing the video box.
Is this at all possible or am i doing something wrong.

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - How comments are linked to the Articles

Postby yvolk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:32 pm

dax702 wrote:
Every Comment is linked to the Article using 'parentid' field.
So, for your example, all comments of "Sample Article" will have parentid=4.


Ok, so if i understand correctly, then in the content table you attached to your post, that would mean that the comment titled "Testing comments" is attached to the "We Are Volunteers" article, correct?
Correct, see screenshot attached.
WeAreTheVolunteers.png

dax702 wrote:Please correct and/or clarify my understanding of the following fields if you would be so kind. Perhaps this info will help anyone else that is looking to import comments:

-No Introtext, the text of the comment goes in the fulltext field.
-Not sure what the mask field is?
I don't know about the 'mask' field (and I don't use it).
dax702 wrote:-sectionid and catid are always the same for comments.
-created is the date the comment was placed
-created_by - not sure what this is? Perhaps the guest user's id you speak of in your instructions?
Yes, if comment was made by some guest...
dax702 wrote:-created_by_alias is the field where I insert the person's name
-ordering is set to 1, what is this? It's not the order of the comments apparently?
I don't use this field (yet...). It is set by Joomla! core...
dax702 wrote:-metadata field has created_by_link= and this is where I put a weblink if the user has included one in his -What happens to an unregistered commentor's email address when he enters it? (I don't need to have email as a field anywhere?)

email is stored in 'metadata' field as:
[email protected]
dax702 wrote:I think I have a pretty good handle on most of it. The only thing that has me concerned is the id field. As far as I understand, everything in Joomla must have a unique id. The question is, when I go to import many comments at once into the content table, how will I know what id to start at? Do I just take the next highest number after the last in the table? Does the subject of the comment become the title field?
Yes, you are right.
Good luck, and please give us feedback, when you'll do this :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby yvolk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:36 pm

geurtd wrote:I want users who comment on my site to be able to link to video's.
I have the extension AllVideos and this works great if a registered user posts a new article, they can add the tag to link to a [youtube] video, however the same tag in a comment does not work, it shows the tag as text in stead of showing the video box.
Is this at all possible or am i doing something wrong.

Hi, I think you should set "Allow HTML in text of comments" option from "No" to "Allow HTML only" or to "Allow raw data", if previous value is not enough...

geurtd
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:35 am

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby geurtd » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:31 pm

Hello Yuri,

Thx for your reply.
I configured the plugin according to the documentation on your site.
So it is set to Allow raw data.
Do you think it might be done with the use of BBcode ?
This i dont not have configured

Update,
I just tested it with the HTML only option, this does not work as well.
Also another Tag that i use in the articles {mosmap} does not work inside a comment as well.

I just figured out that it has to do with the way yvcomments showes the comments.
If i place a link on the site directly to the article that houses the comment (in my case All-Comments/test2.html) the tags do work.

User avatar
dax702
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:20 am

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby dax702 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:31 pm

This is how it appears in the metadata field in my spreadsheet program if they have a link and an email address:

created_by_link=http://www.mywebsite.com
[email protected]


And this is how it appears if they left the link empty, but specified an email address:

created_by_link=
[email protected]


1) I must have the created_by_link= even if there is no link?
2) Do these lines have to be separated by a new line? If so, how do I indicate a new line in the CSV as I can't seem to just press enter?

If I use the main content table of Joomla for yvComments, is it possible that having a large number of comments will slow the website down?

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby yvolk » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:48 am

geurtd wrote:Hello Yuri,

Thx for your reply.
I configured the plugin according to the documentation on your site.
So it is set to Allow raw data.
Do you think it might be done with the use of BBcode ?
This i dont not have configured

Update,
I just tested it with the HTML only option, this does not work as well.
Also another Tag that i use in the articles {mosmap} does not work inside a comment as well.

I just figured out that it has to do with the way yvcomments showes the comments.
If i place a link on the site directly to the article that houses the comment (in my case All-Comments/test2.html) the tags do work.

I see, that it is hard to understand each other, not seeing the subject :( (at what URL link work, at what - not, how the link is stored in DB, how extensions are configured)...

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Postby yvolk » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:01 am

dax702 wrote:This is how it appears in the metadata field in my spreadsheet program if they have a link and an email address:

created_by_link=http://www.mywebsite.com
[email protected]


And this is how it appears if they left the link empty, but specified an email address:

I'm sure, you won't create error-free import script only asking me :)
I don't remember also: the answer is in the code of yvComment...
Test and see...

dax702 wrote:
created_by_link=
[email protected]


1) I must have the created_by_link= even if there is no link?

No
dax702 wrote:2) Do these lines have to be separated by a new line? If so, how do I indicate a new line in the CSV as I can't seem to just press enter?

I suggest this approach to know exactly, what is proper format of CVS:
1. Install yvComment,
2. Create some comments
3. Export e.g. one comment to cvs with available tool (e.g. phpMyAdmin)
4. Change the cvs as this is new comment
5. Try to import the CVS file with the same tool.
6. Repeate steps 3-5 until everything is Ok.
7. When CVS works as intended, use it as an example/template for real import CVS file.
dax702 wrote:If I use the main content table of Joomla for yvComments, is it possible that having a large number of comments will slow the website down?

Of cause, yes :)
The question is: how much the impact will be?
I don't know, but your cvs file will be the same for both tables, so you may test...


Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests