login problem

Discussion regarding Joomla! Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security and Performance FAQs
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
acaby
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

login problem

Post by acaby » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:58 pm

I have searched and view the 100+ replies for this topic in this forum and could not find an answer to my specific problem.

I cannot login to my front end and I assume no one else can either

Admin(Back end) Login:OK works fine
Resend Password:OK works fine
Registered as new member using another name and password:OK works fine, got the email and verified link, checked user module. In there and registered OK.

However when I try to login front end on main page (both my admin username and password and the NEW username and password NOTHING HAPPENS. Page just refreshes and shows 1 guest online.
No Error Messages af any kind, Just a page refresh.

I DID Clear my Browser Cache

I do not know what happened because this is a new problem. Logged in fine a few day's ago.
I have Joomla 1.0.15 to my root.
http://www.incomeintheusa.info

Any help Please would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Arthur

saninb
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: login problem

Post by saninb » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:18 am

wrong thread

acaby
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by acaby » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:40 pm

saninb wrote:wrong thread
Thanks for the update. WHERE Should I put it. I really need this problem resolved

acaby
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by acaby » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:38 am

Thanks to all that helped me with this problem that has been posted for over a week i.e. (Nobody)
I finally found out the problem myself after about 8 hours of research..
So I guess this thread is closed.
IF ANY ONE HAS THIS PROBLEM IN THE ***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****______
Check your configeration.php file and if it say's http/yourwebsite.com then make sure you edit it to say
http://www.yourwebsite.com and the Login problem is solved.
Again I would like to thank all the forum members that helped me with this problem. :'(

markjwarman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markjwarman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:27 pm

Wow! Awesome - I spent hours trying to figure this out, trying fresh Joomla installs, changing my template, reinstalling the login module, installing different login modules, searching for threads on forums etc etc. It wasn't until I put the word "refresh" into my query that I found this answer and it's saved my sanity!

It was a real shame you didn't get any help sorting this out for yourself but thanks so much for posting the solution!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

maxpayne452
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by maxpayne452 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:24 pm

This not working for me ? i have the same problem

sezwhat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sezwhat » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:49 pm

I am having this same problem as well. Any help?

sezwhat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sezwhat » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:52 pm

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I've already rebuilt my site (Joomla 1.5.9). I have not tweaked it too much because of my previous issues with logging in). Is there a known fix?

manelet
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by manelet » Fri May 22, 2009 3:57 pm

acaby : I love you!

mikepritchard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mikepritchard » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:22 pm

Who would have guessed 4 years after acaby found the solution his work would still be paying off!

Bless you for your work on this, it worked for me.

You rock

photoaddict
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by photoaddict » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:11 am

Help!!! :'( :'( :'(

when ever i use the "create an account" in the login module, it always show error message 404-component not found.

help me fix this problem please! thanks in advance!

Griz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Griz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:04 am

I still have the original problem but the given fix didn't work for me. Anything new?
http://www.grizzledgamer.com
Information Hub for the Experienced Gamer

DickTracy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by DickTracy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:20 am

I know this is an old thread but I had a similar problem but a different solution, might help someone...
I suddenly found users couldn't login and eventually it turned out to be because the code I had pasted into a module (in this case adsense for search code) was incomplete - everything else looked and worked fine (including the search itself) but I didn't think to check login was OK - (then went away for a week and forgot what I'd changed)
Point is, changes in semingly unrelated places can affect it - if login stops working try disabling all modules and try again (same for plugins perhaps), if it now works add them back in one by one to find the problem module

cheeks
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cheeks » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:59 pm

acaby wrote:Thanks to all that helped me with this problem that has been posted for over a week i.e. (Nobody)
I finally found out the problem myself after about 8 hours of research..
So I guess this thread is closed.
IF ANY ONE HAS THIS PROBLEM IN THE ***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****______
Check your configeration.php file and if it say's http/yourwebsite.com then make sure you edit it to say
http://www.yourwebsite.com and the Login problem is solved.
Again I would like to thank all the forum members that helped me with this problem. :'(

I had the same issue but when I checked the configuration.php file, my website was not listed - so this fix did not work for me.

Eventually I fixed the problem by doing this:

1. Logged in with user account in front end - page refreshed and it seemed like i was not logged in in front end, but it was recorded in the backend
2. While logged in I then disabled the cblogin module so this was removed from the frontend. The user menu then appeared.
3. I enabled the cblogin module, it then appeared as normal, with logout button.
4. I loggged out, and it is now working as normal.

Hope this helps.

Griz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Griz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:58 pm

Thought I'd just add a little experience I've had with this topic, because if you suffer from this issue, it can be a real hair-puller. :eek: Seems like you never know what little tidbit of info might help...

I use the Gavick Memovie template (not even sure that matters). I usually use a copy of original template modules so I can leave the original module unmodified for possible later reference. The copy of the login module seemed to be working okay, but I realized recently it was not...same problem described above. (None of the fixes here worked for me.) Anyway, out of desparation I tried disabling the login module I was using and enabling the original module from the original template...bingo...now it's working. <fingers/toes crossed><knocks on wood>

For what it's worth. ;)

(By the way, Acaby I feel your pain. I get just as frustrated when a problem post gets no replies. But overall, my experience with the community has been positive. I think when there is no response, it's usually because nobody has a solution to offer. It does happen. At least I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. 8) )
http://www.grizzledgamer.com
Information Hub for the Experienced Gamer

VK6XZ
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Problems logging in using the Joomla! Login Module (mod_log

Post by VK6XZ » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:25 pm

I do trust that the following assists others that have this problem and that they do not have the frustration of trawling around the Internet attempting to find a solution that so many of the previous folks on this thread have had to endure.

Joomla! Version
This problem and associated solution is based on Joomla 1.5.22 (Stable) downloaded on 1st January, 2011 from http://www.joomla.org/download.html

Problem Description
I installed Joomla! and setup a basic home page. I created a user and was able to login with the user over a period of several days as I continued to add to the site.

I downloaded several components, modules and plugins, and somewhere along the way the login picked up a problem. I did not know which module was causing the problem as I stayed logged into the test page and just kept on refreshing it.

Following a system restart, I found that I could no longer log into the user account. The server was producing a timeout error. I searched high and low for a solution and examined the file permissions of all the files on the site as file permissions had previously produced a similar error message. The problem continued and so I eventually pulled the development site down and started again.

Immediately following the reload of Joomla! everything worked fine. I created a user and could log in and out without any problems. I continued with the development of the site.

I reloaded the additional components, modules and plugins that I am using for the site and the problem reappeared.

I searched high and low again, and it was this thread that produced the solution - thanks Griz :laugh:

Solution
1. Remove the existing Joomla! User Login module that uses mod_login.
2. Create a new module using /extensions/module manager/new and selecting the Login module from the module selection panel.

Voila! It works again - at least for me. :)

Hope this helps....
Bruce
Perth, Western Australia

rgibbs421
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rgibbs421 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:33 pm

not the live site in config, not the module doing it... any other suggestions? works in firefox not in ie. 1.5.22 aec docman

duckjunkie
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by duckjunkie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Well, this old thread seems to have longevity so I am going to add a related issue in hopes to help this thread work as a "one-stop-solution"
I am currently on 1.5.25 (with Jomsocial Hello Me login and Facebook) but my user login issues are intermittent and have been ongoing for months. I have been pulling my hair out because no 2 users claim the exact same issue.
Here are the situations - I hope this turns on a light for someone to help me solve this!
-I have users that can login on their work computer but not their home computer.
-I have users that login one day but then can't the next and 3 days later they are fine.
-Our Facebook login is finicky. If is locks up for you on one page, go to a page you haven't been to in a long time and it will work from there.
We always insist our users clean cache, cookies and restart their browser before contacting us with their issue. I can never recreate the regular login issue reported to me on either my laptop or desktop... but that Facebook login causes quite the headache for me...

**Recently, I noticed our online store (JomShopping) will only add to cart if you use Firefox. Not sure when that happened. We have app developers in our server.... urgh. Time for a rebuild I suppose...**

I WILL UPDATE THIS POST WHEN I SOLVE THE PROBLEM!
New to Joomla! but trying really hard to figure things out on my own! If I am asking here, I am likely frustrated, embarrassed or otherwise not happy. Please be easy on me and I will try to get back to it on my own without being a pest. ;)

areco_0
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by areco_0 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:22 pm

I also have 1.5.25...

Desperate, no front end login at all... need to work...

Last PHP Error(s) Reported :: Forum Post Assistant (v1.2.0) : 14th January 2012 wrote:[02-Dec-2011 09:19:12] PHP Warning: ini_set() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/arunkiji/public_html/libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 655
Forum Post Assistant (v1.2.0) : 14th January 2012 wrote:
Basic Environment :: wrote:Joomla! Instance :: Joomla! 1.5.25-Stable (senu takaa ama mamni) 14-November-2011
Joomla! Configured :: Yes | Read-Only (444) | Owner: arunkiji (uid: 538/gid: 536) | Group: arunkiji (gid: 536) | Valid For: 1.5
Configuration Options :: Offline: 0 | SEF: 1 | SEF Suffix: 0 | SEF ReWrite: 0 | .htaccess/web.config: Yes | GZip: 0 | Cache: 0 | FTP Layer: 0 | SSL: 0 | Error Reporting: -1 | Site Debug: 0 | Language Debug: 0 | Database Credentials Present: Yes

Host Configuration :: OS: Linux | OS Version: 2.6.18-274.7.1.el5 | Technology: x86_64 | Web Server: Apache | Encoding: gzip, deflate | Doc Root: /home/arunkiji/public_html | System TMP Writable: Yes

PHP Configuration :: Version: 5.2.17 | PHP API: cgi-fcgi | Session Path Writable: Yes | Display Errors: | Error Reporting: 6135 | Log Errors To: error_log | Last Known Error: 02nd December 2011 09:19:12. | Register Globals: | Magic Quotes: 1 | Safe Mode: | Open Base: | Uploads: 1 | Max. Upload Size: 100M | Max. POST Size: 100M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Max. Execution Time: 170 | Memory Limit: 184M

MySQL Configuration :: Version: 5.1.56-log (Client:5.1.56) | Host: --protected-- (--protected--) | Collation: latin1_swedish_ci (Character Set: latin1) | Database Size: 618.45 KiB | #of _FPA_TABLE: 49
Detailed Environment :: wrote:PHP Extensions :: date (5.2.17) | libxml () | pcre () | zlib (1.1) | bcmath () | bz2 () | calendar () | ctype () | curl () | dbase () | dom (20031129) | hash (1.0) | filter (0.11.0) | ftp () | gd () | gettext () | session () | iconv () | standard (5.2.17) | json (1.2.1) | mbstring () | mcrypt () | mhash () | mime_magic (0.1) | mysql (1.0) | SimpleXML (0.1) | pgsql () | posix () | Reflection (0.1) | imap () | SPL (0.2) | mysqli (0.1) | sockets () | exif (1.4 $Id: exif.c 293036 2010-01-03 09:23:27Z sebastian $) | tokenizer (0.1) | xml () | xmlreader (0.1) | xmlwriter (0.1) | xsl (0.1) | zip (1.8.11) | cgi-fcgi () | eAccelerator (0.9.6.1) | suhosin (0.9.32.1) | PDO (1.0.4dev) | pdo_sqlite (1.0.1) | SQLite (2.0-dev) | pdo_mysql (1.0.2) | SourceGuardian (8.2) | ionCube Loader () | Zend Optimizer () | Zend Engine (2.2.0) |
Potential Missing Extensions :: openssl |

Switch User Environment (Experimental) :: PHP CGI: Yes | Server SU: No | PHP SU: Yes | Custom SU (Cloud/Grid): No
Potential Ownership Issues: Maybe
Folder Permissions :: wrote:Core Folders :: images/ (755) | components/ (755) | modules/ (755) | plugins/ (755) | language/ (755) | templates/ (755) | cache/ (755) | logs/ (755) | tmp/ (755) | administrator/components/ (755) | administrator/modules/ (755) | administrator/language/ (755) | administrator/templates/ (755) |
Templates Discovered :: wrote:Templates :: SITE :: beez (1.0.0) |
Templates :: ADMIN :: APLite (0.9.3) |

toddb575
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Problems logging in using the Joomla! Login Module (mod

Post by toddb575 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:03 pm

VK6XZ wrote:I do trust that the following assists others that have this problem and that they do not have the frustration of trawling around the Internet attempting to find a solution that so many of the previous folks on this thread have had to endure.

Joomla! Version
This problem and associated solution is based on Joomla 1.5.22 (Stable) downloaded on 1st January, 2011 from http://www.joomla.org/download.html

Problem Description
I installed Joomla! and setup a basic home page. I created a user and was able to login with the user over a period of several days as I continued to add to the site.

I downloaded several components, modules and plugins, and somewhere along the way the login picked up a problem. I did not know which module was causing the problem as I stayed logged into the test page and just kept on refreshing it.

Following a system restart, I found that I could no longer log into the user account. The server was producing a timeout error. I searched high and low for a solution and examined the file permissions of all the files on the site as file permissions had previously produced a similar error message. The problem continued and so I eventually pulled the development site down and started again.

Immediately following the reload of Joomla! everything worked fine. I created a user and could log in and out without any problems. I continued with the development of the site.

I reloaded the additional components, modules and plugins that I am using for the site and the problem reappeared.

I searched high and low again, and it was this thread that produced the solution - thanks Griz :laugh:

Solution
2. Create a new module using /extensions/module manager/new and selecting the Login module from the module selection panel.

Voila! It works again - at least for me. :)

Hope this helps....

OHH!!! Excellent ! It works for me as well,

just following the instruction of VK6XZ,

Very Good job VK6XZ
The map is not the territory. - Alfred Korzybski clonazepam side effects

Scott Rutledge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Scott Rutledge » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:21 am

My client's on 1.5.25. We just upgraded from 1.5.23 last weekend, in part to resolve this very login issue that they were having on 1.5.23. They had to create their own login module and process, as a work-around, and had been using it for 6 months.

Once we finished upgrading, everything worked beautifully! All of the functions - login, logout, register, remind and reset were working just great! No worries, right?

WRONG. 3 days later, the problem came right back. I was sure that it was because our site editor was adding back all of the extensions, plug-ins, etc that were there, but she insists that those were already completed and that there were no changes prior to the problem re-occuring on Feb 4th! Very bizarre. I'm right back to square one now.

I've tried the configuration.php script. It was http://mysite.com, so changed it to http://www.mysite.com. Cleared out the Cache and refreshed browser. Didn't work.

Then I tried Griz & VK6XZ's solution - I removed the existing Joomla! User Login module that uses mod_login and created a new one. Didn't work.

HEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllpppppppppppppppp!!!!

Scott Rutledge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Scott Rutledge » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:31 pm

OK, In addition to trying both of the above solutions to the problem (1, changing the configuration.php file to include the www. to the domain name, and 2, deleting the mod_login module and creating a new one using the backend /extensions/module manager/new and selecting the Login module from the module selection panel), I've now also used FileZilla to completely replace the com_user module and all of its subdirectories and files with the original installation files that came with 1.5.25. Cleared the CACHE and refreshed browser - still experiencing the same problem/issue.

If I enter my UserID and password and then click the "Login" button, it works fine. If I press any of the other three options, the page simply refreshes to the top of the Home page, and does nothing. Here's what it looks like:
When you hover your mouse over any of the login functions/options (there are 3), I see these links:
1. Forget your password? (link: http://www.midlife.com/component/user/reset) Does nothing. When I build my own login module, and include the
2. Forget your username? (link: http://www.midlife.com/component/user/remind)
3. Create an account (link: http://www.midlife.com/component/user/register)

As a workaround, I've created my OWN Login menu using the Module manager and using mod_mainmenu, and then manually added the 4 menu functions, manually putting in the correct links: index.php?option=com_user&view=login (which when you hover over appears as http://www.midlife.com/login), index.php?option=com_user&view=reset (hover link: http://www.midlife.com/login/reset), index.php?option=com_user&view=remind (hover link: http://www.midlife.com/login/remind) and index.php?option=com_user&view=register (hover link: http://www.midlife.com/login/register)

These all work just fine, as expected. The question really is this: Why does the system continue to build the path as http://www.midlife.com/components/user/nnnnnn (specific function), instead of the correct http://www.midlife.com/login/nnnnn????

And most importantly: How can I fix this?!?

Scott Rutledge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Scott Rutledge » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:47 pm

P.S. #2:

Tried replacing the mod_login module with the original from the 1.5.25 installation files. Still no luck; the problem is still there.

Scott Rutledge
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Scott Rutledge » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Well, I found the problem. It was in the back-end, in the Global Configuration Settings, the "Search Engine Friendly URLs" option was selected "on". I turned this off, and the problem immediately went away, and all is working perfectly.

But it DOES lead me to another question now: Why does selecting this cause the paths generated for the login function (and possibly others, for all I know) to be wrong?!?

duckjunkie
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by duckjunkie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:53 am

duckjunkie wrote:Well, this old thread seems to have longevity so I am going to add a related issue in hopes to help this thread work as a "one-stop-solution"
I am currently on 1.5.25 (with Jomsocial Hello Me login and Facebook) but my user login issues are intermittent and have been ongoing for months. I have been pulling my hair out because no 2 users claim the exact same issue.
Here are the situations - I hope this turns on a light for someone to help me solve this!
-I have users that can login on their work computer but not their home computer.
-I have users that login one day but then can't the next and 3 days later they are fine.
-Our Facebook login is finicky. If is locks up for you on one page, go to a page you haven't been to in a long time and it will work from there.
We always insist our users clean cache, cookies and restart their browser before contacting us with their issue. I can never recreate the regular login issue reported to me on either my laptop or desktop... but that Facebook login causes quite the headache for me...

**Recently, I noticed our online store (JomShopping) will only add to cart if you use Firefox. Not sure when that happened. We have app developers in our server.... urgh. Time for a rebuild I suppose...**

I WILL UPDATE THIS POST WHEN I SOLVE THE PROBLEM!
Well, I removed all Facebook login options and all module login option and redirected all login buttons to the JomSocial community page login (except the Kunena login box). Got a lot less complaints about login issues but still not resolved completly.

Currently, we are migrating to 2.5. Hopefully this is our final solution!
New to Joomla! but trying really hard to figure things out on my own! If I am asking here, I am likely frustrated, embarrassed or otherwise not happy. Please be easy on me and I will try to get back to it on my own without being a pest. ;)

TheDani
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by TheDani » Mon May 14, 2012 6:40 pm

delete

Chinese960
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Chinese960 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:31 pm

;) It costed me a few hours to solve this headaches, your scenarios might be different from mine, but give it a try won't hurt.

1) I found out that it's the module Jumi that interferes with the logout functionality of CB_login module;

As one of the folks upstairs pointed out, disable the modules/plugins one by one you enabled and/or installed lately and find out which one is the bad apple.

dorriga
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dorriga » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:29 am

I found another option to have work the login in frontend, following the before post step, I writte www. to my domain, and desable SEO. But nor working with all this settings, I renamed the .htaccess to htaccess.txt to disable it, and now the JM1.0. can let login in frontend.

I hope that this solution will help you.

giannadar
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: login problem from backend and frontend

Post by giannadar » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:15 am

I use a correct / match username and password for super user but it still guide me on login page without any error. I even cannot view any of my data.

I search all the solution given example :
1) Replacing with the original configuration.php.
2) Add new user from mysql.
3) Edit User accessibility.

But still not work for me. Any other idea / solution how i can get back to see my data through backend and frontend? :(

hadimarashy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hadimarashy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14 am

I had the same problem. I changed my htaccess by removing the following code which i added few weeks ago.

RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !Yoursitename
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(.*)/$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://www.ruuz.co.uk/ $1/ [L,R=301]

and now its working fine.

Return to “Performance - 1.0.x”