Double Content titles after upgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
cal1875
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Double Content titles after upgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4

Post by cal1875 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Hi

I've applied Tibors fix to the duplicate titles problem but still suffer the same problem:

http://www.media-block.com/perada-summer-school

Seems that Joomla is putting in a componentheading and a contentheading.

Any ideas

Cheers

Cal

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:32 pm

Cal -

Try this. In addition to Tibor's fix, also go into your Article Layout menu item and set "Show Page Titles" off and remove the value (if there is one) from the Page Title text box.

We're close to 1.5.5 . Thanks for the patience, folks.

Amy :)

Yorb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Yorb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:02 pm

A bookmarklet for those of you that are going into each menu item, clicking the System slider, clicking No, and then clicking Save:

Code: Select all

javascript:document.getElementById('paramsshow_page_title0').checked='checked';submitbutton('save');
Saves a few clicks. :)

Oh, and lest we all forget, 1.5.4 actually fixes a ton of issues with titles. This whole double title thing is just a minor downside of the good things. :) Kudos to Amy and the rest of the squad.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:53 pm

Thanks for your support of the Bug Squad, Yorb, it is one of the best teams I have ever worked with. The kudo's go directly to Elin Waring and to Ian MacLennan for hours of analysis and development and testing. Check out Elin's blog Closing 8369. I am so pleased that you recognize in spite of this failure in testing (Yes, that was my area of assistance. :-[ ), this work does fix a ton of issues with titles.

soepwuffer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by soepwuffer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:18 pm

I've also applied Tibors fix to the duplicate titles problem. It works for me, but only at the front page articles.
Only the submenus in main menu wich are build with Articles in a Catagory still contain twin titles. Has anyone experienced this also? Or is it just me? :-[

I'm not trying to complane, because I'm very pleased with the update 8)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:41 pm

soepwuffer -

Some have found this approach works better for them. Or, if you can wait a few days, 1.5.5 is very close.

Thanks for your support!

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:26 am

Thank you everyone for your insight and patience. 1.5.5 is now live. You can download it from the normal spot...
Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

DavidBoggitt
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by DavidBoggitt » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:10 am

Congratulations and thanks! :D
My website: http://www.davidboggitt.com/
Love and hate both devastate you, but at least love takes you to dinner first.

cal1875
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cal1875 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:43 am

Thanks everyone :)

gary123321
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gary123321 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:17 pm

Whew! Thanks Amy. That did it.

waffen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by waffen » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:03 pm

I just encountered this double title problem so i thought i'd bring up the thread as there's still no workaround out there.

I'd like to do a blog view, with article titles enabled and linkable but no double titles when the article is opened. So i just went ahead and opened blog_item.php and in this line

<a href="<?php echo $this->item->readmore_link; ?>" class="contentpagetitle<?php echo $this->item->params->get( 'pageclass_sfx' ); ?>">
changed .contentpagetitle to .pagetitle (class name optional)
Then in the css i added

.contentpagetitle {
	display: none;
}
So i have pagetitle intact in the blog view but disabled in the articles.

I do hope that this issue will be addressed in a future version.

My joomla version is 1.5.6 (aug 12), the bug still exists.

waffen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by waffen » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:30 pm

Looks like my previous post was premature. It works with section blog layout but not with category blog layout. I'm still having double titles for news. No matter how i set article title in the admin.
So can we expect a proper fix in the near future? I'm not being impatient but it was promised for 1.5.5 and now 1.5.6 is out and the fix is still nowhere. Sorry if this question has been answered earlier, i just didn't find a reliable solution in this topic.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:29 pm

You can always do a layout over ride. That is preferable to doing core hacks.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:19 am

Wafen -

The Double Content Titles issue is about Double Titles on the Article Page. Is that the same problem you are experiencing?

If so, updating the blog_item.php file for either the category or the section view will make no difference on the article page. blog_item.php outputs the article teaser on the blog page itself.

Maybe I missed this, but can you explain where you are seeing double titles? Would you be willing to share your URL? I'm certain we can figure out a way to resolve this for you.

Thanks!

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:26 am

I'm going to suggest that this be split into a new topic since it's not actually related to the topic about your specific issue.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:49 pm

Elin -

I might not be understanding so let's wait and see what Wafen has to say. I agree, though, if this turns out to be Double Titles on any other page besides the Article page, starting a new topic makes sense. This one is already too long. :-P

Thanks!

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:24 pm

I'm just saying the title is 1.5.3 to 1.5.4 ... it doesn't make sense to be discussing 1.5.6 in here.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:41 pm

I see. Well, I'm pretty certain waffen is saying that this problem was caused by the upgrade to 1.5.4 from 1.5.3 which we said would be fixed in 1.5.5, but it wasn't fixed for waffen in 1.5.5 or 1.5.6. That's when waffen mentioned being patient - hoping since 1.5.5 didn't fix it, maybe 1.5.6 would - and it didn't.

Moral of the story, Waffen: It does not pay to be patient.

Now, where the heck are you? Elin and I want to know what's going on! Hurry up! hehe! 8)

founder
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by founder » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:13 am

was a new one started?

diekleinbaas
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

FIXED: Double Content titles in Joomla

Post by diekleinbaas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Hi.
I had this same problem and have just solved it, here is how I did it.

First use solution from "the_jackal" as quoted here (see page 2 of this thread):
the_jackal wrote:Hi to all!

Based on mcsmom hack - http://forum.joomla.org/posting.php?mod ... #pr1344992 - if you don't want to feel as "hacker" :p - try to use this solution ( thanx to nice Joomla! MVC framework!) ;)

1. Create folder /html/com_content/article/ in your current template ( full path in default template show : /templates/rhuk_milkyway/html/com_content/article/).
2. Copy the changed default.php to this folder. (See my attachment).
3. Your Joomla! 1.5.4 now render this file instead of core file, t.m. you not need change core file -> not a "hacker", but developer! :D

Hope this help.
changed_default_php_for_154.zip
Then comment out or delete line 7 of his default.php file.
To do this, open the file in notepad and delete this line:
<div class="componentheading<?php echo $this->params->get('pageclass_sfx')?>"><?php echo $this->escape($this->params->get('page_title')); ?></div>
or comment it out by adding <!-- to the start and --> to the end.

Save the file and try Joomla.
Note: I have "Show article title" set in Article Manager > Parameters and have "user global" for all settings in the articles, I am also using "use global" for the show title in the menu params and the menu type is Section Blog.

Hope this fixes the problem for you all. I tried upgrading joomla first but the upgrade caused more harm than good. Also the_jackal's solution worked for some pages but not all untill I commented out the above mentioned line.

Al - IT support for http://www.brightvisions.co.uk

pxforti
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by pxforti » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:24 pm

I just ran into this problem after migrating a site from 1.5 to 1.7. The problem is that the parameters in each menu item are different between the two versions. The only way to fix it is to click on each menu item and then save it.

This updates the menu parameters to the correct format. See example below.

This is a pretty bad migration problem, especially if you have lots of menu links. I'm starting to see why some many web developers are migrating to wordpress instead of Joomla: Jooma has had painful upgrades between each version whereas wordpress has one-click updates and everything works. I'm not trying to start a wordpress v joomla war here. I love Joomla, but am getting really tired of the lack of an upgrade path and migration tools that can't correctly convert Joomla core content. Is it too much to ask that the migration tool properly migrate Joomla Content?).

Menu Item Parameters from Joomla 1.5
{"show_noauth":"","show_title":"","link_titles":"","show_intro":"","show_section":"","link_section":"","show_category":"","link_category":"","show_author":"","show_create_date":"","show_modify_date":"","show_item_navigation":"","show_readmore":"","show_vote":"","show_icons":"","show_pdf_icon":"","show_print_icon":"","show_email_icon":"","show_hits":"","feed_summary":"","page_title":"Denver Boulder Website Design, Joomla Website, X-Cart Website","show_page_title":0,"pageclass_sfx":"","menu_image":"","secure":0}

Menu Item Parameters from Joomla 1.7
{"show_title":"","link_titles":"","show_intro":"","show_category":"","link_category":"","show_parent_category":"","link_parent_category":"","show_author":"","link_author":"","show_create_date":"","show_modify_date":"","show_publish_date":"","show_item_navigation":"","show_vote":"","show_icons":"","show_print_icon":"","show_email_icon":"","show_hits":"","show_noauth":"","menu-anchor_title":"","menu-anchor_css":"","menu_image":"","menu_text":0,"page_title":"Joomla Website Design Services, Joomla Templates, Joomla Web Designer, X-cart Website Design","show_page_heading":0,"page_heading":"","pageclass_sfx":"","menu-meta_description":"","menu-meta_keywords":"","robots":"","secure":0}
Joomla Website Design / CS-Cart Website Design
http://writenowdesign.com

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”