Synchronize Outlook Calendar with Joomla Calendar Component

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jbrondos
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Synchronize Outlook Calendar with Joomla Calendar Component

Post by jbrondos » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:27 pm

Is there any way for me to synchronize our school's Public Folder Outlook Calendar (on Exchange Server 2003) with a Joomla extension like JEvents or JCal?

(I find these more attractive than GCalendar and easier to work with from the front end.)

LiquidFire
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Synchronize Outlook Calendar with Joomla Calendar Component

Post by LiquidFire » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi There,

got generally the same question. I not even need it automatically synchonized.
I could export it and upload the .ics file to update it.

Ical is supposed to give the possibiletie, but with me it allways gets displayed with errors. I had it with the old versions and now also with Joomla 1.5

Any ideas for us? :-[
My Hair's To Long, My Dreams Are Wrong - But Damn You All My Heart Is Strong. For Those Who Care To Understand - Hear Me - See Me - AS I Am!!!

jbrondos
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jbrondos » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:45 pm

I would have thought that there would be a big demand for synchronizing a website Joomla calendar with an organization's Outlook Calendar. It gets very tedious to have to keep two or three calendars going at once -- and there is a greater likelihood of error.

Right now, Google calendar automatically syncs both ways (or one way if desired) with a personal Outlook Calendar. I would think that Joomla programmers could figure out something from that design to make Joomla extensions like JCal or JEvents sync up with Outlook or Google Calendar. JCal and JEvents, I think, look so much better and are much more functional than GCalendar extensions.

pvo01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pvo01 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:37 pm

hi,
can someone show me how to install GCalender 1.4.5 for my J1.0?
i have installed the com and the mod. but i am now having trouble of config it. i want to publish a calendar on my page. i need instrucion on how to do it.
i went here http://forum.extremejoomla.com/showthread.php?t=700
but just cannot complete step two.
please help. i have inlude a screenshot of what i have done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phi

dangdesigns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dangdesigns » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:27 pm

I've had this feature request several times - an online calendar that syncs with outlook - has anyone had luck finding a Joomla! component to do this?

mike826
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mike826 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:31 pm

Greetings, is there any news on the ability to update an outlook calendar from gcalendar? I too have some users asking for this functionality.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:36 pm

Sorry no idea about Gcalendar but JCal Pro from http://dev.anything-digital.com supports this functionality.
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

Pako
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Synchronize Outlook Calendar with Joomla Calendar Compon

Post by Pako » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:48 pm

brian wrote:Sorry no idea about Gcalendar but JCal Pro from http://dev.anything-digital.com supports this functionality.
Really? Because on their site, they not that this is something that JCal Pro does not do:
dev.anything-digital.com wrote:JCal Pro is an integrated calendar for the Joomla content management system. It is designed to function autonomously from desktop or other online calendars. While JCal Pro supports the manual import and export of iCal calendars, JCal Pro will not synchronize to other calendars applications.
I am also looking for this functionality.

cogliano
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cogliano » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:51 am

Zap Calendar does it!

Zap Calendar ( http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ndars/8587 ) can synchronize with any external ical compliant calendar, including another Joomla site using Zap Calendar. The synchronization is one way, which means you can pull the events into Zap Calendar but you can't edit them. It makes for some interesting ways of organizing calendars. For example, you can have several branch offices with their own calendar, and have the corporate web site pull these calendars into one master calendar. Corporate could have its own holiday calendar which is pulled by all the branch offices for display on their calendar.

There is a demo at http://www.zapcalendar.com . The New York Sports calendar demo is an example of external calendar synchronization. The baseball teams scores are updated daily in the calendar automatically. Also, since the Yankees are in post season playoffs, games were automatically added to the calendar for the post season.

There are a lot of other features in this calendar too (comments, reservations, weather, integration with other Joomla apps), which you can read about at the demo site.

Hope this helps (BTW, I am the developer of Zap Calendar).
Dan Cogliano
zcontent.net - home of Zap Calendar and Z Weather

Pako
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Pako » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:36 am

When you say "synchronize", do you mean it automatically synchronizes or you can import a exported file? From what I have read, your product can do, or rather cannot do what JCalendar offers. Suggestions, what am I missing here?

Thanks,

cogliano
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cogliano » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:21 am

It can do both: synchronize automatically and import, although I was referring to the synchronize method. The synchronization is done through a cron job, which Z Content can handle remotely if your host doesn't support cron jobs. I'm not sure what JCalendar product you are referring to. What features are you looking at with JCalendar?
Dan Cogliano
zcontent.net - home of Zap Calendar and Z Weather

Pako
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Pako » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:47 pm

Well maybe you can help with my situation. I have some users that are on MS Exchange server where they can share calendars among themselves. Not a problem, but then I have other users that need access to the same shared calendar information from the exchange group but they also need to update their info as well.

My solution is that non-exchange users could contribute and view the shared calender with the MS Exchange group as well as the MS Exchange group being able to contribute and view to the non-exchange group of users.

The only way I see this happening is the synchronizing of a shared MS Calendar with a web based Calendar, where both calendars are pushing and pulling event/schedule updates. This would also need to be an automated process where users would not have to export/import calendar data files.

Can Zap Calendar accomplish this?

laoneo
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by laoneo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:15 am

Just wanted to let you know that DPCalendar has, since version 3.2, a MS Exchange calendar integration for your Joomla site. If you still need your MS Exchange integrated into Joomla. :D
Looking for a responsive Joomla calendar? Give DPCalendar (http://joomla.digital-peak.com) a try!!

You can find us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/digitpeak

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”