Frontend users view unpublished articles?

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Sophy978
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Frontend users view unpublished articles?

Post by Sophy978 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:34 pm

Hello, is there a way for all users with 'Author' access to view and edit the articles that they've created and not yet published? Currently an admin would have to first publish the article, so that the Author can go back and edit it as needed. But the article is published and so everybody can view it. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

bichiliad
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Frontend users view unpublished articles?

Post by bichiliad » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:09 pm

Yeah i'd like to know about that too... that would really help.

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dextercowley » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:55 pm

Hi. If you make them "Editor" instead of "Author", they can see unpublished articles. However, they see all unpublished articles, not just their own. Hope this helps. Mark
Mark Dexter
"Well...how did I get here?"

Sophy978
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sophy978 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:18 pm

Hmm this might work. I'll try this out also as well.

If I make them all Editors, they can view all Unpublished articles but would they only be able to edit what they've authored?

Thanks again for the reply.

deck2deck
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by deck2deck » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi Sophy,

My understanding is that Editors can post and edit any content item, not just their own. They can also edit content that has not yet been published (Mark or anyone else, please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain this is how it works).
Be part of the solution -- not part of the problem.

Sophy978
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sophy978 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:53 pm

Yes you are right. I just confirmed also in the Joomla documentation. I hope someone knows a workaround to this since giving everyone an Author role is exactly the idea - that they would be able to create and edit what they've authored and not others. That was my whole intent of this CMS. Thanks for you reply.

For now I will make give them all Editor roles and just keep monitoring since I am the only publisher anyways.

bichiliad
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bichiliad » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:21 am

Here's what I've done:
I allow users to submit articles. If they want to make changes, they must simply resubmit the article. It's not ideal, but it works for now. Everyone is an author, and everyone submit articles (everyone being registered users). Any moderation is done by a team of admins. It'll work for now... AHHHH when will MyContent go 1.5 native?

Sophy978
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sophy978 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:42 pm

dextercowley wrote:Hi. If you make them "Editor" instead of "Author", they can see unpublished articles. However, they see all unpublished articles, not just their own. Hope this helps. Mark
Hi Mark,

Am I missing something completely? I just created two test accounts, both Editor roles. I then create test articles with both accounts. Articles are unplublished. After the articles are saved, I am not able to view the article at all logged in as either accounts.

In the backend as Admin. - I do see the articles created in the unpublished state. I guess my main concern here is for the ability for Authors or Editor to be able to view/edit unpublished articles.

Yes I do see that if you set a user to 'Editor' role, they can edit any article and not just the one they've authored.

Do you think it's a bug in Joomla 1.5.1? Yes I will upgrade to 1.5.7 as soon as JACLPlus comes out with a compatible 1.5.7 version. Thanks.

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dextercowley » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:54 am

Hi. What section and category are you putting them in? If you have them "uncategorised" then you can't see them from the front end because there is no page to see them on. There is a free extension that lists uncategorised articles in the front-end, but without this, these articles drop into a "black hole". The link for the extension is here: http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

If the articles are in a section and a category, then you need to make sure you have a menu item that will show articles for this section/category (for example, a section layout or section blog layout). Otherwise, you won't see the articles unless they are published to the front page.

Hope this helps. Mark

P.S. There are major security holes in all early Joomla versions, so you are using 1.5.1 at your peril.
Mark Dexter

Sophy978
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sophy978 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:58 pm

Hello. I've upgraded to Joomla 1.5.7 along with JACPlus 1.5.7. This functionality still doesn't seem to work properly. Whether I am a super admin, admin, manager, publisher, editor, author - I still can't see unpublished articles in the front end. The articles being created do belong to a category/section and linked to a menu to display.

Do you think this has something to do with using JACLPlus? Is anyone else experiencing this problem? :(

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dextercowley » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:36 pm

Hi. It could be related to JACLPlus. You could try uninstalling this to check (or try a new site without it). It certainly is not the normal behavior. Hope this helps. Mark
Mark Dexter

Sophy978
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sophy978 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:51 pm

Hello, so finally this issue is resolved :-) The JACLPlus team got back to me on this issue. It turns out if you are using the JACLPlus component, by default the feature to see 'Unpublished' articles in the frontend is disabled.

To enable it, simply go to the JACLPlus User Manager->Configuration->Frontend and enable 'Show unpublished editable item'.

Thank to everyone who's tried to help.

bichiliad
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bichiliad » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:52 pm

Sophy978 wrote:Hello, so finally this issue is resolved :-) The JACLPlus team got back to me on this issue. It turns out if you are using the JACLPlus component, by default the feature to see 'Unpublished' articles in the frontend is disabled.

To enable it, simply go to the JACLPlus User Manager->Configuration->Frontend and enable 'Show unpublished editable item'.

Thank to everyone who's tried to help.
Now does the component allow users to ONLY see what THEY have submitted? Or can they see ALL unpublished articles?

Sophy978
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sophy978 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:40 pm

Frontend 'Authors' can view/edit only what they've created. 'Editors' can view/edit anyone's content. So basically it follows the same rules as Joomla. Hope this helps.

deck2deck
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by deck2deck » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:23 pm

Just out of curiosity, if the limits/permissions are the same as what Joomla! comes packaged with, why use an extension (what are you gaining)? :pop

Thanks -- I've been following this post because I'm ready to add front-end users to my site and want to do it right the first time!
Be part of the solution -- not part of the problem.

Sophy978
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sophy978 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:41 pm

Good question ;)

My entire site revolves around the JACLPlus component (awesome component I might add) since it allows me the capability to create multiple Access Levels. With the basic Joomla access, you only have Registered, Author, Editor, Publisher, Manager, and Admin.

With the component I can create as many User Groups and Access Levels I want. For example:
You can have Users belonging to:
Group1
Group2
Group3
Group4
etc.

You can then creat different Access Levels, for example:
AccessA
AccessB
AccessC
AccessD
etc.

Then you can assign the Access Levels to any Section/Category/Article/Menu as well as to the Group assigments. Based on which ever Group the User belongs to, they are only able to view their associated Access Levels.

Content authors/editor/publishers are a whole different group. These are the ones that will load content to the site.

bichiliad
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bichiliad » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:59 pm

Awesome. My question is answered. I'm definitely downloading this component right about..... now.

JLW
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JLW » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:40 pm

Sophy978 wrote:Hello, is there a way for all users with 'Author' access to view and edit the articles that they've created and not yet published? Currently an admin would have to first publish the article, so that the Author can go back and edit it as needed. But the article is published and so everybody can view it. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The way I always do it is to create a virtual back-end within the front-end, accessible only to specials (including mere authors and editors), as follows:

Create menu items for category tables (and/or section tables).
Set these items' parameters to show unpublished contents.
Set these items' access levels to "Special".

Put all these menu items under a main-menu item labeled "Admin," which can be either a placeholder or an article containing help for your authors. It too should have access set to "Special".

You can make your virtual back-end as rich a work environment for your "special users" as you want. I often put a site-management F.A.Q. there; and sometimes include RSS feeds of my clients' industry news; and a stock ticker module showing my client's own stock price and their suppliers' and competitors' prices; etc. A whole work environment for my non-technical clients, who will never see the back-end and don't even know what Joomla! is.

Unfortunately, a *BUG* in 1.5 prevents publishers from seeing what their website really looks like, because it causes all unpublished, published-but-expired, and published-but-not-started items to be visible to all publishers.

Since my sites typically have many hundreds of articles that are not live, including ones that are written many years in advance of when they'll appear; and since only 5 or 6 items are visible to the public at any moment, Joomla 1.5 makes the site pretty frustrating for users who happen to have publishing rights.

I'm disappointed that the developers say this is a desirable feature. It's a big aggravation for me. Perhaps in a future release they can add a parameter in the global site configuration to turn this off.

In the meantime, if anybody can suggest a workaround for this, or tell me where to hack a core file to make it stop, please let me know. Thanks.
---Jordan
http://www.UpgradeThat.com -- compare and save on computer upgrades
http://www.Accordionist.org -- the accordion community online

Return to “Administration 1.5”